PDA

View Full Version : Simple hat with ribbed edge

JessicaSant
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/patterns-sm/hats/vwhattake1.jpg

Here's the basic pattern for my ribbed hat:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/vwhattake1.jpg

Using worsted weight yarn and a size 7 needle -- this gives a tightly stitched hat.
(I made it with with Red Heart Classic (http://www.coatsandclark.com/find_a_product/knitting_crochet/E267/html/e267.htm) yarn (blue) and Patons Brilliant (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=brilliant) ("white twinkle", using 2 strands), on a size 7 needle)

Guage: 20 stitches and 26 rows = 4"x4"

Cast on 90 stiches
Rib: 1x1 rib for 1 1/2 inches: 1k, 1p to end -- start each row with a knit and end each row with a purl so you stay on track.
Body: Stockinette stitch for 3 1/2 inches: k one row, p next row
(put whatever kind of pattern you like here, I use this site (http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html) to create a chart for this guage and sketched out the logo you see above)
Decrease:
Row 1: k2tog, *8k, k2tog repeat from * to end
Row 2: purl row
Row 3: k2tog, *7k, k2tog repeat from * to end
Row 4: purl row
Row 5: k2tog, *6k, k2tog repeat from * to end
Row 6: purl row
continue in this fashion until 10 to 15 stiches remain (you'll see that the decreased stitches line up to form nice "darted" lines in the hat)
Finish:
cut the yarn, leaving a 24 inch tail. Thread the tail through the remaining stitches and use to sew up back of the hat. (see Mattress Stitch video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) for how to sew up invisibly.)

Nuno930
12-23-2004, 03:30 PM
OMG! My BIL would kill for this!!! do you happen to have the VW pattern still?

JessicaSant
12-23-2004, 04:14 PM
OMG! My BIL would kill for this!!! do you happen to have the VW pattern still?
here you go! -- enjoy

The VW sits pretty high on the head... so as soon as you finish the rib, I'd start the first row of the VW (I waited about 4 rows...)

the other thing I think would look cool (for how big the VW is) -- is to put the VW on the side of the head.... rather than smack dab on your forhead.... or maybe 2 VW's on either side of the head.

beldaraan
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I just finished making this hat!! It was my first knitting project. I'll post pics and specs hopefully by tonight.

Haha, If I'm really feeling daring, maybe I'll post what the underside looks like too 8)

beldaraan
01-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Here are my pics of the vw hat. I moved the sign 2 rows down from the blue one. Also, I ended up with a peak at the top of my hat. I'm going to make another one, because this one is going to my son and hubby wants a matching one. This one didn't cover hubby's ears all the way down. I just read in another post regarding this hat about the scrunching at the vw sign. Mine is much more noticeable, so I'm going to fix that too. Anyway, here's the front and the back. :oops:

JessicaSant
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
nice!

the VW doesn't scrunch too much with mine when its worn.... but it still does more than I'd like to too.

Make sure you give youself just enough extra yarn when you change colors with the fair isle stitches (its tough -- don't wan to do too much so the stitches are all loosey, and you don't want to do too little so that the VW bunches).

Check out Amy's fair isle video, it should help.

beldaraan
01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm keeping this in the same thread. This is take 2 of the vw hat. I tried grafting my vw in a circle. I thought I'd make it a bit smaller. It didn't work out so well. I think I made the stitching too lose now, so I will need to experiment on another project on how to work out knitting with multiple colours. I used kitchener stitch to close the top. That worked out well. It did not work out well when I kept going to close the seam. So now I'm going to ask, "HOW DO YOU CLOSE A SEAM TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD???" Other than that, I like the hat and hubby does too. He's actually going to wear it all winter now. Here's a picture of it and then a picture of my two special guys wearing their matching hats :)

amy
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Beldaraan, your two guys look great! It helps to see the hat being worn, too. Thanks for sharing!!!

Amy

PS
I'll be working on seaming videos soon. (After I get the patterns pages sorted out).

JustMarion
01-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone..
I'm not certain how to incorporate the design into the hat once I've started knitting. Do I simply find the center of the hat and center of the design and go from there?

Thanks so much..

beldaraan
01-31-2005, 07:32 PM
You pick the row that you want it on for the placement of the height. For centering length-wise, start the bottom row of the vw on stitch 44. Just so you know where that number is coming from, you have 90 stitches. Cut in half and you have 45 on each side. So you would knit 43 stitches in your main colour (MC) and then switch and knit 4 stitches in your second colour, then switch back to MC and finish 43 stitches. After that, you work your way up. Hope this helps.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-31-2005, 07:59 PM
CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!!!! and the hats are nice looking too!

beldaraan
02-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey Amy~

Thanks for the comment about my two special guys. The other night, hubby sheepishly asked if any made a comment about it. He was happy and grinning after reading your reply. And Hildegard, he'll love your response too :D

I need to ask though, does the picture look very dark on anyone else's computer? It didn't look dark when I posted it, but now it does. If it's dark for everyone else, then I'm going to clean it up and replace it with a better version.

amy
02-01-2005, 12:33 AM
:)
Yes, that picture of your guys is classic. I love it. :)

The pictures don't look dark to me. The background is grey, but the VW sign is white, with good detail throughout the picture. HTH.

Amy

Jivewhistle
02-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I will be starting on this hat very soon. I have some dark grey worsted weight yarn and I'm just doing the hat in that one color with no design.

Please feel free to give out any tips, as this will be my first project in which I've followed a pattern..lol.

I just need to finish my homespun scarf today before I start on the hat. It got cold here again so I'll be able to wear it this year yet :D

peev
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
What size hat does this pattern make? And how do you adjust it to make different sized hats? Sorry for the questions - I'm hoping this will be my first 'non-scarf' project. :) Thanks.

beldaraan
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
You won't need to adjust the circumference of the hat and I wouldn't recommend it either because of how it decreases. You can adjust the height very easily, just by adding extra rows.

peev
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
So the hats you made for your two guys are the same circumference, just different lengths? Wow, that's cool. I'm definitely going to give it a go. Thanks. :)

beldaraan
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes, same circumference, different heights. Have fun making the hat :)

Jivewhistle
03-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi peev!

Glad to hear someone else is doing this hat at the same time too :) I started doing the gauge the other day and didnt get it right...ugh. Then I picked it up again and started, but havent been able to knit the last couple days because I've been so sick. My palms have been all sweaty too so my hands just stick to the yarn and needles..LOL. I hope to pick it up again by this weekend. By the way, I'm also going to add extra rows to mine so I can make it fit over my ears. No design though, just one color :)

punkhippiemom
03-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I just wanted to say a big "Thank You!" for posting this pattern. I was looking for a cool hat that I could make on two needles, and this just happened to be the first one I saw...
I made one for my 5yr old (he wanted bright RED!) and one for my 2yr old, and they both turned out great. I used smaller needles (5) for my 2 yr olds' hat, and that seemed to be all the adjustment I needed to make for the size. 'Course, my guys have big heads LOL.
Anyway, thanks for the great pattern, I think I'm going to see if I can make one for myself, maybe with a snowflake on it...
Rebecca

Jivewhistle
03-13-2005, 01:29 PM
I finally finished my hat...Yay :happydance:

I added extra rows to make it fit over my ears. I used kitchener stitch to close the top and a mattress seam to close the back. I never thought I could get kitchener but I just kept watching the videos over and over. One thing that was throwing me off for the longest time was trying to get my tail yarn on the back needle. I ended up having to decrease one more time..loL. I was suprised at how good it looks for my first project and hat!!

A big thanks goes out to Beld for helping me along the way too. You are so awesome :thumbsup:

I'm posting a couple pics here of the hat. One more thing....You know how it says at the end about 10-15 stitches being left on the needle?? Well, I got either 18 or 9. (9 after I decreased one more time). Just thought this tip might help the next person making this. :D

beldaraan
03-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Awesome work Jive!! Your hat looks way better than mine. Nice job on the seam work. It really looks great. Looks good on you too.

Jivewhistle
03-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks Beld :D

I'm so happy I finished the hat and that it looks good and I can wear it proudly. :happydance:

I've already got a few requests in to make the hat for others, but luckily spring is coming so they can all wait till next winter..LOL. I just love the simplicity of this hat.

peev
03-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Well, I just finished my hat (I had to figure out how to sew it up and ended up turning it inside out and sewing it that way). I'm a little disappointed with it, as it is quite big and not very 'stretchy', although that could just be the wool I used. My DH says it looks like a swimming cap, which is a little offputting. :rollseyes: Anyway, it has got me over my fear of knitting anything other than scarves, so I suppose it has its uses. :D I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but I'll get one this week.

JessicaSant
03-16-2005, 05:26 PM
the hat looks great!

Guess I should check in on this thread more often...

So this may be too late for peev, but hopefully it can help some other folks. I've made this hat a bunch of times (I keep getting requests)... so to vary the circumference I've done a couple things:

When I've made it for a kid, I use a smaller needle
When I made it for myself (I've got a "normal" size head) I use the pattern as it is
When I made it for my Dad (his hats always dwarf me), I increased the cast-on to to 120 stitches instead of 90 (basically with a guage of 20 stitches x 24 rows, 10 stitches = 2 more inches in the circumference).

If you increase the cast on, do teh decrease the same as I have listed -- it may just take an extra row to get down to a dozen stitches on your needle before you need to bind off.

As for my original instructions that were a bit vague and said "continue in this fashion until 10 to 15 stiches remain" -- the reason I put that range there -- is because I didn't remember the exact # of stitches I had left -- but 9 or 18 (depending on the row you end on -- sounds right. Realize if you increase the cast on, then you could have 10 or 20.

Hopefully that makes sense.

One of the things I really like about this pattern is that its pretty simple, and its not very big -- so there's lots of things you can do to "embellish" it and not get bored -- add some decorative stitches, maybe cables? try some intarsia color or some fair-isle color, try converting it to circular needles, practice a different seam on the back -- what about adding ear flaps? or a rib all teh way up the hat? lots of possiblities as you learn new knitting techniques.

Happy Hat Making!!!

Jivewhistle
03-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the tips Jessica. :thumbsup: I will be making this hat for my neice soon too. Maybe then I will experiment with a pattern of some sort on the front. Or maybe a hat with one stripe across.

One more thing I'll add for anyone making this hat....if you are going to use kitchener stitch to close the top, end after a decrease row and not a purl row. This totally confused me for awhile. I ended on a purl row and had the hardest time trying to get my tail yarn on the back needle. Thats why I had to decrease one more time. But then all was good :D

jodstr2
08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
resurrecting this thread...

I think I'm ready to try this hat. if I can do it right, I *might* try to do an Audi one, too.

thank you so much, JessicaSant! :heart:

Lyonesse
09-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I am just SO excited about his hat I am practically bouncing for joy. :cheering: I have been teaching myself to knit for a little bit now and have been knitting squares which will eventually be sewn together into a quilt but I was getting a bit bored with squares so have been looking for a simplish project to start me off properly. Then I spotted this hat and almost BOUNCED out of my chair! I am making one for my hubby in black and grey with the VW symbol includes because he drives a camper and I drive a karmann ghia! Anyway I haven't started yet but when I'm done I'll let you know how I got on.... (Or maybe earlier if things go according to type!)

:thumbsup:

spooky
09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
That hat is awsome kids! I would love love love to make one for my buddy who is a vw freak but I have one tiny little question. Whenever I make something that has a picture on it I end up with holes around the picture. Is there a trick to stopping those holes? Or am I doomed to sew 'em up when I get done.
Thanks a bunch!!!! :??

MaryS
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
To stop the HOLES :shock:

When you go from one color to the next make sure you pick up the new yarn from UNDERNEATH the old yarn.

This twists the yarn together and prevents THOSE UNSIGHTLY HOLES :doh:

Try it and you'll feel :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Happy hole-free knitting :XX:

Mary

spooky
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
muhahahahah coolies ! thanks a bunch ! i'm gonna start on it tonight !

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Here's a trick to prevent the holes. When you are about to switch colors, insert your needle in the next stitch, but don't wrap it yet. Hold the old color yarn over to the left with your left hand. The strand of new color will be hanging closest to the needles. Pick up the new color and wrap the stitch. It will wrap around the old color.

When you purl back the other way, give it a little pull and it will snug up nice and tight.

kome
10-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Question.... The picture I made for the middle ended up at 33 st across. Could I just add 9 st to the CO to make it easier on myself, or would that mess up the hat completely? I can't really alter the design of the picture.

kome
10-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Question.... The picture I made for the middle ended up at 33 st across. Could I just add 9 st to the CO to make it easier on myself, or would that mess up the hat completely? I can't really alter the design of the picture.

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 09:58 PM
The way you knit, Kome, you could add whatever you want! You just might have to adjust your decreases a little bit.

Come to think of it, Rebecca just posted this (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) earlier. Probably can help you figure things out.

imageenus
10-16-2005, 08:40 PM
i know i posted this problem elsewhere on the board..

so i finished the hat. it looks HORRENDOUS on the back but the front looks fine i guess. i used a bulky yarn instead of the worsted weight.. and i also casted on 64 instead and i'm a little bummed because it messed up the decreases.

the pictures below are the finished product.
you see where i circled? those were the problem areas. when you're stitching up the back it's supposed to be straight right? because that totally didn't happen for me.

:( somebody. help. the plan is to make another one for a friend of mine but i'm not going to give it to him unless it's flawless. what can i do to decrease the right way?

Ingrid
10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I would try to find a pattern to follow if you want it perfect. At least they've done all the math for you. ;)

JustMarion
10-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Kind of a newbie question here but could I use circs and DPNs to avoid the whole seaming issue? Sorry if this is a silly question...

KellyK
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Most hat patterns are written for knitting in the round....I cant imagine a reason to EVER seam a hat!

Ima...your hat looks FANTASTIC! I would bet those "spots" that you circled disappear when you put it on your head!

Jivewhistle
10-22-2005, 11:33 AM
KK, could you recommed a hat knit in the round for a beginner? I've never used dpn's. :shock: But I would love to try it!

Ingrid
10-22-2005, 11:47 AM
http://www.kindagrape.com/projects/knithat.htm

This looks pretty simple. Or you can look through the other ones here (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php)

imageenus
10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
thank you kelly :) yeah it's not so bad.

EarthMonk
11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
This might be a dumb question, but I'm new, so please bear with me. When you get to the decreasing part of the pattern, it says to "continue in this fashion." Does that mean on the next decrease to do k2tog *5k, k2tog* and repeat to end; purl row; then down to k2tog *k4..." or should I go back to 8k, 7k, 6k, and start over at 8k until I have 10-15 stitches left?

Thanks!

imageenus
11-17-2005, 03:24 AM
not a dumb question at all. yeah just keep decreasing like.. *k8, purl row, *k7, purl row.. and keep going down until you can *k1. and i think by then you'll have the 10-15 stitches left on the needle..

right?
i think.
yeah yeah. ok. yeah.
:)

kcj
12-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi everyone!
I am just learning how to knit and have been lurking around the board for a couple of weeks.

This hat was my first non-scarf project, but I managed to totally butcher it when I was sewing up the top! I want to try again, so that my husband can have a non-deformed hat to wear...

I ended up with 18 stitches right after my last decrease. Then I wanted to try out the Kitchener Stitch, so I reinserted both of my needles to look like Amy's video with nine stitches on either needle. After sewing it together, I ended up with my thread on the opposite side from my back seam. Then I couldn't figure out how to do the mattress seaming 'cause I couldn't match up my stitches. Should I sew it up from the bottom?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is a great board, and I have learned so much by reading it and watching the wonderful videos!

kschiers81
12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
This is the first hat pattern that has turned out right for me. It was so easy. Plus, my husband LOVES VW so it was perfect.

marifp
12-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I guess I will post my final hat here. I did it couple of months ago and although I did the VW upside down :doh: I am proud of it. It was my first non-scarf project.
I will try with smaller needles next time. DH says it is big on him.

I did the vw with intarsia. It worked but was a big PITA. Can I do it with fair isle next time??

Thanks for the pattern!!

glucose101
12-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and I've already got a question.

I'm also a beginning knitting person.

When making this project, how do you switch colors? Do you use intarsia, or the knit-in join?

Thanks in advance

Ingrid
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Intarsia is probably best the hat. I'm not sure what knitted join is, actually.

Marifp asked if stranding would work, and you could do it if you were careful to stretch your stitches out. That's working flat, of course.

glucose101
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Nvm...got it :-)

Hallegold
12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi, I've been visiting this forum every day and had to nerve to ask one question previously and now I'm asking my second question. Can I knit this hat on circular needles and use the pattern as it exists? I'm going to knit the hat with no pattern. Thanks for your answer!

Ingrid
12-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Do you mean with no intarsia pattern? Then yes. Here (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) is also a good site for making pretty much any size hat in the round.

And don't be shy! Come on in! ;)

Hallegold
12-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks Ingrid! Yes I did mean without the intarsia pattern so I'm sure the link you gave will definitely help.

marifp
12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Yes, I did intarsia.
I will do another hat without the pattern for me with round needles this weekend. :D

EnlightenMePINK
12-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Thank you so much for the pattern, it is awesome!
I have a quick question though...this is silly. I made my first hat ever, and it doesn't look too bad. It's just way too big. I followed the instructions and started with 90 stitches. Should I try to start with less stitches? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. :XX:

Thanks!

Jackie

Ingrid
12-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I'd go with fewer stitches. Here (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) is a good site for figuring out how to make a hat from any size yarn. You could use your gauge from the hat you made to determine how many stitches you need, if you're using the same weight yarn.

kelchris3
12-28-2005, 01:16 AM
I used your pattern hon and it's wonderful!!! I'm a new knitter and made my dad this hat for Christmas. A perfect fit. Thank you so much for sharing this.

joe_doufu
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi y'all, a true beginner here. I did this hat as my first project. I used a thicker yarn with 6mm needles... actually cast the whole thing onto one long needle because I only know one wool market here in Korea and I can't get back to buy extra needles until the weekend.

I used a thicker wool, with 6mm needles, and knowing my gauge was 3.5 stitches per inch I used algebra to figure out that I should use 64 stitches based on this pattern. The Mielke's site has a different formula and based on my head size, would recommend 72 stitches. I went with the 64 of this pattern.

Because it was all on one needle and not in the round, I couldn't even see how big the hat would be until I got to the reductions and could un-scrunch it... turns out it's a skin tight skullcap on my head. I should've used 72 stitches. However, it doesn't look terrible and I'm encouraged! My next hat will be done in the round, maybe have some color changes or a pattern, and after that one perhaps I'll dare to try double-knit. It's cold these days!

brendajos
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
okay you are entirely too cute and incredibly industrious knitting a hat in the round on one needle....not sure how that works but i am impressed.

I am not sure how Ebay works in Korea or if there is any difference at all but you might want to check this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) out. he has great prices on my favorite needles and the orders are coming from Hong Kong. not sure what kind of pricing you will find in Japan but these end up being about half of what they would cost us in the LYS.

joe_doufu
12-30-2005, 01:53 AM
I am not sure how Ebay works in Korea or if there is any difference at all but you might want to check this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) out. he has great prices on my favorite needles and the orders are coming from Hong Kong.

I bought circular needles for 1000 won - thats about US$1 - each, and only 500won (50 cents) for the smallest sizes (4mm and under). Granted, they are made of wood, but the price seems quite favorable. I didn't know that the cable length was important when I bought them... it turns out the ones I got were too long for knitting a hat in the round normally, and too short to easily pull off "magic loop". I think I'm going to get matching ones to try the two-circular-needles method.

beckhamj
02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi All,

I'm completely new to the site and to knitting. Amy's videos and explanations are so wonderfully clear and descriptive. Here's my question: cast on 90 stitches means to put all 90 loops on one one-ended needle??? Or I need circular or double pointed needles? Or something else completely different?

I'll be thrilled and full of gratitude if someone can take a moment to clarify for me.

Best,
Jennifer

amazingrace4u
03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey! Can someone please help me with finishing the hat? I don't exactly know how to thread and sew it up. Can someone either explain thoroughly or with pictures? Thanks!!!

threePOINTfivvvvve
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
im sitting here with the hat... it looks fine, but im a little confused on how exactly to end it. i have 10 stitches on the needle... do i bind off? just a little confused...

Ingrid
03-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Just cut your yarn, leaving about a foot. Thread a tapestry needle onto the yarn and run it through the stitches you have left and take them off the needle. Then pull it tight like a drawstring. Then put the needle through the top hole and weave it in on the inside to secure it.

threePOINTfivvvvve
03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
thanks! i'm done! :happydance: im so proud of myself. its my first non-scarf project, just like most people. thanks! :thumbsup:

JessicaSant
03-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm so excited to see that so many people have tried this pattern :D

I recently started a blog, and am including a bunch of the knitting I've done and am currently doing. A few months ago I used a variation on this pattern to create a fair isle knit hat.

You can find the pattern (and my blog) here (http://www.wingedsheep.com/2006/03/12/1142192806262.html), enjoy!

gman78
03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I've just started this. The woman who runs a local knitting group says she can teach me how to knit it in the round AND do the two colors. I'm such a noobie, I don't know if/how it's possible, but I don't know that it's Impossible either. I'm sure she's forgotten more about knitting than I'll ever know; so I'll let you know what I learn!

Rivyan
03-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm so glad you posted this pattern :cheering: it was the 1st nice looking hat I did (I've only made 3 but the first 2 didnt turn out so well) it was so good my friend stole it and wont give it back lol. I'm even currently working on another and plan to make more after. Thanks a lot!!! :D :heart:

chocl8liquid212
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Hello I have size 6,5 circular needles and I want to make this hat. Do I use the same pattern? :thinking:

Jan in CA
06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Awesome fair isle hat! I'm going to try it!

Tamar Dohel
11-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi all,

I followed the decrease instructions word for word on page 1 and I have to say that I ended up with a tip! That's not acceptable for my fussy wearers.

So here is a link to a much better decrease:
here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11738&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=2187e06540a9865125e8ea41ac4b99c8)

May be the original decrease can be edited accordingly.

Tamar

Mod Squad was here :waving:

ErinP
11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I am very new to knitting, so this hat will be my first non-scarf project for my husband who loves VWs. I have a question re: the pattern. For stockinette stitch, you knit one row, then purl the next. So, for the pattern, do I knit the first row of the pattern and then purl the next row of the pattern? Or, do I knit the first row of the pattern, then purl back the first row of the pattern, and then knit the second row of the pattern, etc? I think it is the first scenario, but wanted to check since I am not so good with fixing mistakes!

Tamar Dohel
11-21-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi Erin,

It really doesn't matter if you start on a purl or knit row because your ribbed edge looks the same on both sides.

In the future if you aren't sure about knitting something you might want to do what I do and that is try it out on some spare yarn first with a pair of spare needles casting on much fewer stitches. Another thing that you can do is thread some spare yarn (prefferablly cotton) through the stiches on already done then knit the row that you're not sure about. If it's no good just undo the stitches and put the needle back through the row where you threaded that spare yarn. If it's good continue knitting and pull the spare yarn out only when you are sure of the result. Thread spare yarn as much and wherever you need.

If you are not sure about anything don't hesistate to ask again and again 'til you get it right.

Happy knitting
Tamar

ErinP
11-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks so much!!! I will try your idea...

Erin

elpea
01-06-2007, 02:09 AM
My dad is a VW mechanic and this would be perfect for him! I've never done fair isle before, so I need to practice that before I attempt this (I started knitting about 2 or 3 wks ago). I'm definitely going to bookmark it and make it for him as soon as I can, though!

Ivy
05-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I tried out this pattern. I don't know anything about yarns and gauge, so I just followed every instruction to the T. I ended up with such a small hat that it can only fit my furby! So here is a picture of furby wearing the hat.

Meanwhile, even though the hat looks ok, I am very disappointed with the way stockinette stitches and the rib have turned out. I have posted a questions here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=453331#453331) regarding the uneven stitches. Do have a look at it and help me if you can.

Syndi
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks.

clb5321
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Unbelievable. OMG! I gotta jump through all these worthless security and posting issues just to get a frickin' pattern. This isn't the TSA...

:ick:

domiknitrix
08-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I am definitely making this for the DH, I think this is something he will totally wear!!! This will be my first hat, so wish me luck!

Knitcrazy
09-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks Jessica for this Hat pattern... I am making one a bit smaller for a teen with a Yankees Logo on it :)

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

KnittinMitchie
10-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi all I have taken this wonderful hat and converted it into a toilet paper cover. I had a request for one and the lady's son is a big VW fan. I have done one in Blue (http://www.greenbug.org/christine/WVToiletPaperCoverBlue.jpg) with the logo in white and one in white (http://www.greenbug.org/christine/VWLogoToiletPaperCoverWhite.jpg) with the logo in blue

dclifford3
11-14-2007, 02:10 AM
I'm knitting this hat for my boyfriend for Christmas, but with the pattern, it comes to 18 in around, and his head is 22 in around. so i cast on 110 stitches rather than the recommended 90, will this turn out ok if i still follow the same reduction pattern? Thanks for any help! :muah: -Devon

hypeforlife91
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
For this pattern, when it says "Continue in this fashion" does that mean "k2tog, *6k k2tog" for the rest of the knit rows or continue decreasing to "k2tog, *5k k2tog......"k2tog, *4k k2tog"...etc etc.. Thanks!

SEAL1ONESS
11-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey everyone! This is a great simple pattern for a men's hat - I love it! I'm making one for my dad for Christmas and just finished knitting the Red Sox logo in - it looks pretty good, but I did an awful job with the intarsia so the logo is thick and kind of pops out a little :oops:

I'll post a picture when I'm done! Until then, really stupid question - does anyone have a good link for how to decrease using DPNs? It's probably easier than I think, but I just...don't get it yet haha. Thanks everyone!

Lisa1984
12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi, I love this hat, have made it a few times, but one picky person would like it a bit tighter, how do I do that without ruining the nice puckering on the hat?

kat44
12-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi,

I found your site today purely by accident while doing a search for men's hat patterns. I couldn't find anything in the stores I liked. I used to do a lot of knitting several years ago and am getting back into it again. It's amazing how much I forgot !!!!! Your site is terrific and can help me with many of the things I'm am anxious about attempting - like using double pointed needles. I have never used them and think this may give me the courgae to start. You have a great site !!!! I'm going to start simple, but will definitely be back for more complex patterns.
Thanks
kat

phantom92opera
12-17-2007, 11:43 PM
love this pattern, i have used it mult. times and my most recent is a "steelers hat" for my sisters fiance. I merely took ur chart and overlapped it w/ the logo and photoshopped it. heres the end result

http://i10.tinypic.com/6nqxiiq.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/8fzcrwm.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/867vdia.jpg

gethap
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM
i just finished this hat. i'm a brand new knitter and this was my first attempt. I have a small head and this hat just came to the top of my ears. i followed the pattern exactly. my 17 year old son wants one of these but he has a much bigger head than mine. so what do i need to do to make it bigger? I don't even know what you mean when you post the gauge sizes. i read on one post something about increasing the cast on stitches to 120, which i understand, but what did you mean by 20 X 24 gauge? If I use 120 stitches, how do i decrease?

suzeeq
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
You would dec the same, but use more sts between the k2tog. Start with k10, k2tog, then one less stitch between the decreases.

eta: Now that I've seen the pattern, it uses markers to show where to dec, so with 120 sts place them every 12 sts and follow the directions.

PetYarn
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey, guys.

I saw this crop up a couple times in the comments, so I took the liberty of "translating" the pattern for use with circulars. You can find it here (http://petyarn.blogspot.com/2008/01/vw-hat.html).

Note: I have a small infatuation with twisted rib, but if you just want your standard 1x1 rib, just go ahead and *k1, p1* for rounds 2-8.

Let me know if you see any errors or if you have questions/comments!

beedreamer
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
hi there...I have a couple of questions about seaming this hat, if anyone could offer advice. I finished my first attempt yesterday (also my first project besides scarves), and I wanted to close with kitcheners, as I've seen mention of that preventing the "peak" at the top...however, with nine stitches on my needle, I was unsure of how to reach the point of equal stitches on each needle (and also, do you just move the stitches over, or knit them on, or how do you get them split between needles....I watched amy's video, which was great, but it didn't show how to get to that point with one piece). My attempt was not sightly, and I ended up picking it out and just cinching it after all.

And then, with the mattress seam...since the left edge is full of the decreased stitches for a ways down, I failed miserably at matching for an invisible seem--is there some trick I missed? I feel like the solutions must be obvious, but I'm making this same hat for my partner and want it to look right... thank you for any suggestions!

Kafloogaflunken
01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Ok so this is a cool, simple hat but there are a few problems with the original pattern.

The hat is way too big!!!...as you can see from these pictures. Yes, the pattern says to work stockinette stitch for 3 1/2 inches but if you work out the full VW pattern, it comes to about 5 inches. I realized this after I had already made half the logo. Most people have the same size head (roughly) and this is way too big for the average head. Therefore, you need to make the VW smaller - about half as large. It's too big for my lovely boyfriend as you can see in the third picture, even though I always thought he had a bigger head.

I used a mattress stitch (see the demo videos section) to close up the back and it worked out really well and made an invisible seam.

I also used size 6 needles instead of size 7, but I knit relatively loosely.

Oh yeah and if you're wondering why the V and W are connected it is because my boyfriend told me to do it but then after I finished the hat he changed his mind :shrug:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Saestan/IMG_2322.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Saestan/IMG_2323.jpg http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Saestan/IMG_2326.jpg

Anyway, I think this hat is salvageable. I can either use a piece of plastic and make a brim out of the extra material, or just give it to someone with a big ole head. :figureditout:

Kafloogaflunken
01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh as far as the mattress stitching went, I ended up with a little curved seam at the top, but it doesn't make the hat look bad. This is because I had to keep moving the stitching over for several rows on the left edge. Also I stopped decreasing with eighteen stitches left and as you can see it fixes the whole peak issue.

Ivy-Poo
02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I just completed this hat- here it is on me and then on the intended recipient. I just knitted the hat without the VW first and then embroidered it on afterwards.. so it looks a bit big but I like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/EVGmom/FF/DSC01551.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/EVGmom/FF/DSC01558.jpg

Kazbone
05-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone,
I would love to knit this hat for my Dad who loves Holden cars.
I was hoping anyone out there would be able to help me locate this Australian car symbol.

Thanking you
Karen:knitting:

cheer4you
11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
okay... this might sound like the dumbest question ever, but i kind of need to know. When you say a size 7 needle, are you referring to the U.S. size or 7mm? I am embararassed to be asking this, but before i start i need to make sure i even have the right needles. thanks.

suzeeq
11-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Generally knitters in the US would refer to their own sizing, so it would be a US 7 for worsted weight yarn.

coffeesnob
12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Thank you thank you for this pattern! It is exactly what I was looking for - something simple that could be easily altered.

It was my first attempt at a non-circular knitted hat. It turned out well, but I prefer DPNs (my mattress stitching was wicked terrible.) Fortunately it works just as well on them. :cool:

I've since done everything from solids, stripes, fair-isle, and I added cables once and it tightened up perfectly for a niece.

My family will have toasty heads this winter.

cricket22
01-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the great pattern my son drives a bug and has quite an extensive cool hat collection. It's perfect!

gabbi2306
02-28-2009, 09:37 AM
this pattern is great thankyou so much. i just followed the pattern with DK wool aswell and it worked just as good.:thumbsup: The only problem is that it was a little short, so i might try adding in a few more rows before the decrease. Thank you once again for posting this wonderful pattern.

msTinapants
10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
so i finished the hat and my boyfriend loves it. It was super easy and I have requests to make more for the VW group here. Thanks so much for the pattern I really appreciate it.

mbrsart
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Sweet looking pattern. I'm going to try and fuss around a bit with my own pattern and create a NaNoWriMo hat. And I'm also going to try this on a circular needle.

Danny
11-13-2009, 03:05 AM
This is my first attempt at a pattern so I'm a little nervous! I checked out the link Ingrid posted about figuring out the decreases and decided to up the stitches to 100 as opposed to the 90 since my head is a little bigger (23 in).
After doing the logo design and measuring and stuff the only question I have so far is... When I do the decrease in the pattern, I end up dropping 10 st/row. After I do the k2tog k1 row, I end up with an extra 20 sts instead of the 10-15 recommended in the unaltered pattern. Will those 5 extra stitches end up being a big deal and add a dreaded little "bump" in the end result, or is knitting a fine example of mathematical relativity? :P

Also, when I get to said stitches, do I transfer 10 sts on to one needle and do the kitchener stitch from there? Or what's the trick to that?
I understand the mattress stitch well enough but the kitchener confused me. I watched the video but that looked like two separate pieces on two different needles instead of closing off one big piece.

Thanks! :)

desertofwater
11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
thanks for sharing this information simple interest calculator calculation calculators formula loan calculating rate loans equation rates mortgage compound current high savings account home (http://simpleinterestcalculator.org)

dcarver2003
03-24-2010, 06:15 PM
I used your pattern and the link for creating your own logo. My hubby is a big fan of skulls with cross bones. I am now making another matching one for my son just downsized the pattern a little. Thanks for sharing.

dcarver2003
03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
here is a pic of both hats together. thanks again for sharing this wonderful pattern.

Schoktra
12-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I am a beginning knitter. All of the knitting I know comes from just messing around the past two days and learning from the videos in this website. Before I started I was curious as to what kind of cast on should be used for this, or does that even matter?

Side note: This is going to be my first full project and the end result is to knit my lovely fiance a pair of combo glove-mittens, this cap, and a scarf. She'll absolutely love them to death.

Thanks in advance.

mweichel
11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi. I would love to make this hat for my husband. Could you send me the pattern for the vw logo? He will love it!

mweichel
11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi. I would love the pattern for the logo if you wouldn't mind sharing. It is my husbands birthday nest week and he would love this!