PDA

View Full Version : Braided hat pattern

anise
12-31-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm a new knitter (began in October), and very new to writing down my directions. I'm pretty sure these are accurate. Please let me know if you find an error.

http://www.technicalpoet.com/bard/braidhat/images/1.jpg

Knit in the round on size 8 16-inch circular needles and DPNs for decreasing.

SKPO=slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over

Cast on a multiple of 11 stitches which is also an even number. (i believe the hat shown used 110, but beware that I knit *very* tightly. Normal knitters could easily get away with 88 stitches cast on. )

Work the band in 2x2 rib knit for about 1 inch. (You'll notice my rib knit is 3x3. This was a mistake. Don't do that. This hat also has a row of purled stitches. You can either do that or not. )

1st row: *P1,K9, P1, repeat from * to end
2nd row: same as for 1
3rd row: *P1, hold three stitches forward, K3, knit 3 from cable, K3, P1, repeat from, * to end
4th 5th 6th: same as row 1
7th row: *P1, K3, hold 3 stitches to back, K3, k3 from cable, P1, repeat from, * to end
8th row: same as row 1
Rows 1-8 form pattern. Repeat for desired length. (until hat covers ears and reaches the crown of your head.)

Decrease rows:
Work two rounds of: (p1,k9, p1) around.
Next round, decrease within each cable: P1, hold three stitches forward, K1 k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, K1 skpo, P1, repeat from, *
Knit 2 rnds of: (p1, k6, p1) around.
Decrease round: (p1, k2tog, hold 2 stitches to back, k2tog, on held stitches, skpo, p1) around
Work one round of (p1, skpo, k1, p1)
Work one rnd: (p1, k2, p1) around.
Decrease rnd: (skpo, p2tog) around.
Last rnd: (k1, p1) around, cut yarn and pull through the remaining stitches
Sew a pompom on the top.

salsa
12-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Wow anise,

That is lovely!!!

Egeria
01-09-2005, 04:30 PM
That is a beautiful hat and I'd love to try it out! What kind of yarn would you recommend? How many skeins would it take?

knittingnanna
01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
anise the hat is just beautiful, great job. :D

anise
01-09-2005, 08:19 PM
wow thanks you guys :)

I used a Merino superwash--I like Mission Falls. Those skeins are something like 85 yards/skein and I used just less than 2 skeins I think.

amy
01-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Wow Anise! That's gorgeous!!! I think I'll put a link to it from the hat patterns page if you don't mind!

Amy

anise
01-13-2005, 11:59 AM
of course i dont mind.

lumynyta
01-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I like u r hat , its beautiful .....
Lumy

anise
01-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Oh, thank you so much :)

oshnpashn
01-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Gorgeous!!

Nannie Sue
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
You give me hope that I might be doing more than straight in a few months, that hat is wonderful, I'm really excited now, I just thought I would try knitting but now I'm hopeful, your making hats within months, great job.

VictoiseC
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Anise, I can't believe you are a new knitter. I"m still intimidated to do cables but will be trying them soon and your beautiful hat has really inspired me to do it. Are you sure this isn't a hard one?

I love it, esp the colour. It's beautiful.

V.

anise
03-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, you know, it's hard to say if it's "hard". I didn't think it was hard--you get into a rhythm with the pattern and there are no tricks or surprises. Once you get the hang of cabling it really isn't so bad as long as you pay attention :)

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad I got the nerve to share the pattern :)

eggplant
03-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Beautiful hat!

I've been looking for a really good warm hat to make for my brother, who is a pretty large guy. I'll probably have to leave off the pompon, though!

Can you give us an idea of the gauge or the finished size, and also the specs for the yarn you used, so that the pattern can be adapted for an adult?

Thanks!

anise
03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Umm...I'll do my best :p I don't know anything about gauge to be honest with you. I don't really know how to determine gauge.

I can tell you that I have a good size head and this hat fits me :) (its big on my daughter--she was just my model).

I used a worsted weight wool yarn.

If you were to increase the number of cast-on stitches to the next workable size, it would be 132 stitches, which would probably work though it might be a bit roomy. I guess it depends on how close to the head you like your hat to be. Of course to combat this, you could do 132 stitches on size 7 or even 6 needles to get the right gauge. Similarly, you could do 110 stiches on size 9 needles. I wish I could be of more help with regards to that--it's just not something I know much about. :doh:

If I lay the hat flat is measures about 10 inches across the bottom. I am also a very tight knitter.

Is that helpful to you at all? :thinking:

eggplant
03-12-2005, 03:01 PM
That's very helpful -- thanks!

It gives me a better idea of who the hat will fit, what yarn to try, and all that. I'll go ahead and do some test swatches based on what you said, and I'm sure I can come up with a reasonable-sized hat.

Thanks again!

GrannySox
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Anise,
I love this pattern and started knitting it. I have a question tho......there are 3 'plain' rows between front cable and back cable, but then only 2 plain rows between the back and the front one again. Is this the way its sposed to be??

Granny :XX:

VictoiseC
10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
I can't wait to make this hat, I just printed out the instructions.
Right after I finish my 1) shrug 2) dh's socks & 3) afghan.
Maybe before the afghan....

I never did cables so Ihope I can do it.

anise
10-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Anise,
I love this pattern and started knitting it. I have a question tho......there are 3 'plain' rows between front cable and back cable, but then only 2 plain rows between the back and the front one again. Is this the way its sposed to be??

I'm not sure I understand your question.

humblestumble
10-22-2005, 06:16 PM
BEAUTIFUL! :shock:

eggplant
10-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Granny, I don't really understand your question either, but I did successfully make the hat from Anise's instructions, so they do work out just fine.

Maybe it would be easier to think of the cable pattern as being 9 stitches wide, with one purl stitch on each side of the cable pattern, total = 11 stitches repeat. Alternatively, you could think 9 stitches of cable, 2 stitches of purl, 9 stitches of cable, 2 stitches of purl, etc., which also = 11 stitches repeat.

Anise, thanks again for such a nice pattern!

feministmama
10-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm making this pattern too! I had a helluva time getting the right number of stiches (not used to using odd numbers) but when I figured out that it was a cable with 9 stiches with one purl on either side it made sense. I'll show some picks when I'm done.

anise
10-23-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm so glad you guys like it!

I have to admit, it's WEIRD to have other people using the pattern! It's the first (And so far, only) pattern I've ever come up with. Makes me want to start knitting again after a much too long hiatus!

charigot
10-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi Anise,

I'm not sure I understand your question.

I understand because I am running into the same problem as GrannySox. You have the row starting p1 and you also have p1 at the end of each row. But with the number of cast-on stitches, at the very end of the row, one ends up with TWO p1s (and then another to start the next row) so there are THREE p1s at the back of the hat. Is it supposed to be like this?
Thanks, Jen

anise
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Hmm. I didn't have that problem. You shouldn't have that problem if you cast on a multiple of 11 per the instructions.

charigot
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
I did--I cast on 110 and have this same problem that GrannySox has.

charigot
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
AHA! I just figured out what's wrong. To use a 2x2 rib, one needs to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches, which 110 is not.

http://knitting.about.com/library/bl2rib.htm

HTH Jen

SimplyKaar
10-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I never did cables so Ihope I can do it.

You can! :thumbsup: I used this particular hat as example for the cables in the scarf I was making and they were no problem at all for me. Don't be intimidated, just do it and you'll see it's not as difficult as it seems

Good luck!! :cheering:

anise
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
AHA! I just figured out what's wrong. To use a 2x2 rib, one needs to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches, which 110 is not.

http://knitting.about.com/library/bl2rib.htm

HTH Jen

Yes, that's true, but that shouldn't affect how your cables line up. It just messes up the 2x2 rib knit.

Knitcrazy
11-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Anise,
I just came across your hat..
I just LOVE it.. It is soooooooooooooooooo Pretty!!!!

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

vinny
11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
this is beautiful!

feministmama
11-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's some pictures of hats I made with this pattern

Knitcrazy
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Oh I LOVE those hats.. Are they from the 2006 knitting calendar???

anise
11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Here's some pictures of hats I made with this pattern

Thank you so much for posting those pictures! They look fantastic!!

junkfood_
11-12-2005, 04:09 PM
those look gorgeous!
could you please tell me how wide across the red hat is?[on the left]
and how many stitches you cast on?
i'm trying to make one myself but i'm not too sure about the sizing.
thank you feministmama =)

feministmama
11-14-2005, 12:42 PM
those look gorgeous!
could you please tell me how wide across the red hat is?[on the left]
and how many stitches you cast on?
i'm trying to make one myself but i'm not too sure about the sizing.
thank you feministmama =)

Lesse, The red one I cast on 77 stiches cuz I was knitting 4 st/inch (I think) and I wanted a 20 inch round hat. I forget what the measurments actually are knitted. I'll go measure it and let you know.

kemp
11-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Beautiful hat!

junkfood_
11-15-2005, 02:59 AM
thanks! 20'' around sounds perfect. i think i will try that. except how did you work the 2x2 ribbing with 77 stitches?

feministmama
11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
thanks! 20'' around sounds perfect. i think i will try that. except how did you work the 2x2 ribbing with 77 stitches?

Hmmmm..... :thinking: How *did* I do that? Lemme look more closely.....

sunnyreflections
11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I would really love to knit a hat like this for my nephew who is only two years old. I will try to find out his head size. If you want to make the pattern smaller how would you go about doing it?

feministmama
11-19-2005, 12:44 AM
OK I *did* do k2p2 ribbing but the cables don't all line up perfectly. I just didn't care. But the cables al look good right?

aprildavis99
12-02-2005, 12:16 AM
I think I want to try this pattern, but do you think that k1, p1 ribbing would be ok? I seem to do that easier thatn k2, p2. I always get that ladder thingy with k2,p2.

Love this pattern. So cute!

anise
12-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I think I want to try this pattern, but do you think that k1, p1 ribbing would be ok? I seem to do that easier thatn k2, p2. I always get that ladder thingy with k2,p2.

Love this pattern. So cute!

Yep, I think it would be totally fine. It just might not be as stretchy. But it won't make or break you :)

feministmama
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
sung to the tune of "I'm a little teapot"

Here I am a-knittin'....not done yet.
Here are my needles...here is a set.
When I finish that yarn...don't you fret.
I have more yarn that I can get.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

aprildavis99
12-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Not as stretchy, huh? Well maybe I will try it both ways and see which I like best. Thanks Anise.

Knitcrazy
12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Can you tell me where the pattern for those Cabled hats are ???
Love them !!!

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

aprildavis99
12-04-2005, 05:59 PM
They are on page 1 of this thread. Or go to the Free Patterns page at the top of the screen.

itscryttle
12-04-2005, 10:56 PM
WOW!!! I only hope I can some day do something SO beautiful!!! :inlove: :thumbsup:

wewantmore
12-04-2005, 11:02 PM
That is purdy. :inlove:

I'll have to try it soon.

chips
12-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Decrease rows:
Next round, decrease within each cable: P1, hold three stitches forward, K1 k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, K1 skpo, P1, repeat from, *
Knit 2 rnds of: (p1, k6, p1) around.
Decrease round: (p1, k2tog, hold 2 stitches to back, k2tog, on held stitches, skpo, p1) around
Work one round of (p1, skpo, k1, p1)
Work one rnd: (p1, k2, p1) around.
Decrease rnd: (skpo, p2tog) around.
Last rnd: (k1, p1) around, cut yarn and pull through the remaining stitches
Sew a pompom on the top.
You did a great job, Anise. I'm trying to do follow your instruction, but i'm in difficulty when decreasing rows. Can you share with me a picture of the hat's top? It may easier for me to imagine. Thanh you so much!
Btw, you have very cute model

anise
12-16-2005, 09:44 AM
well, i don't have a picture of that hat because my camera is messed up. But I can try and find pictures that decrese similarly and do myu best to explain.

Basically as you decrease, you are making the cables skinnier and skinnier until they disappear :) So each cable has 9 stitches--3 stitches per rope with three ropes. The first decrease you lose a stitch in each set, so now you have cables that are 6 stitches--2 in each set. The next decrease you lose another stitch in each set so now you are making a braid with only 3 stitches--1 in each set of three. So your cables are getting smaller and smaller.

It should look pretty much like this picture (the picture in blue)
http://tiajudy.com/cablecap.htm

See how her cables just get narrower and narrower? That's how yours should look, too, just with a braid instead of a standard cable.

Good luck!

aprildavis99
12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
cool pic. Thanks :thumbsup:

ChelseyBlair
12-19-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm working on it now! It's my reward for each stripe I do in my friend's scarf.... :rollseyes:

I made a small version for my nephew with two cables at the bottom and the rest knit. Tis cute.

Mine looks okay at the first twist. Took me a while to choose a color and I'm still not sure about it, but I can always knit another, no?

:lol:

anise
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
You can never knit too many pretty hats!

hermione
04-20-2006, 02:46 PM
i adore this pattern and am determined to succeed in making just such a cap! it will be a challenge for me, but i think i'm at the point where i could hack it.

but i do have couple questions. really novice-y questions, too. and i'd ask in the local knitting store, but i'm in paris for a quarter and i already had a hard enough time trying to explain to the saleswoman that i needed a cable needle (no dictionary translation for that, sadly!!).

1. ok, so when i decrese there are double-pointed needles involved. ok, fine. i guess it's just like what's shown on this website for small knitting in the round projects. but.... how and when do i transfer stuff onto those three needles?... and can i do the crazy-looking magic needle version? i don't have DPNs here.... anywhere, really, never knitted in the round before!

2. at the end, you say "pull through the remaining stitches." ok, by this point you can tell i've only knitted things that involved "tie a knot and be done with it" at the end. :) what does that mean, to pull through the remaining stitches?

other than that, i think i actually understand the rest. congratulations on making such a clear and understandable pattern, even a newbie like me can figure it out! :)

jhelanee
04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Since I haven't seen anise on recently, I will try to answer your questions.

1. As you are knitting the hat in the round it should fit easily around your circular needle without stretching. When you decrease you slowly begin knitting around a smaller and smaller circle, which at some point will no longer fit comfortably around your needle. This is when you switch to the DPNs. There are two ways to do this: 1. slip all of the stitches (purlwise) onto the DPNs, then start knitting with them. 2. Just start knitting a round using a DPN instead of the circular needle. When 1/4-1/3 (depending if you have a set of 5 or 4 DPNs) of the stitches are knitted onto the DPN, start knitting with the next one. Repeat until all the stitches are on DPNs. I tend to do the second method because it saves a step, but it is really a personal preference. You could use the magic loop method as well. If you want to do this you will either need two needles (a 16in for the body of the hat and something longer for the top part - 29-36in maybe) or you could just get one long needle and do the whole thing by magic loop.

2. At the end of the decreasing you will be left with a small number (usually under 10) of stitches on the needles. In order to "bind off" these stitches and close the hole at the top of the hat, you need to sew them closed. Cut your working yarn leaving a tail of 8-10 inches or so and thread a yarn needle onto it. Using the yarn needle, pass the yarn tail through each stitch on the needles (basically pretend you are going to slip the stitches onto the yarn needle purlwise, but you don't have to take them off of the knitting needle). Once the yarn is through all the stitches (or as you do each stitch if you want) remove the knitting needles. Tug on the yarn tail to tighten and close the hole. Pull the yarn tail through to the inside of the hat and fasten off.

I hope that answered your questions. Let me know if you have any more. Happy knitting! :XX:

hermione
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
aww, thank you jennifer! :) i appreciate the response. i'm excited about trying this hat, hopefully i'll get it right! your advice will help quite a bit i think. :D

anise
04-22-2006, 08:59 PM
aww, thank you jennifer! :) i appreciate the response. i'm excited about trying this hat, hopefully i'll get it right! your advice will help quite a bit i think. :D

I bet you'll do just fine! This was actually one of my first knitting projects, so it's not really as hard as it might seem.

And thanks for stepping in, Jennifer! I just recently picked up my needles again....so I'm going t come out of lurkdom!

a.falk
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I loved the hat!!!!!!

I'm a new knitter and will challenge myself making one for me!

I have a question about the description of the pattern for decreasing rows. You write:
Decrease rows:

My question is what does the * refer to? In the above lines, there is no *, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank you so much!

sfavereau
05-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I made this hat last year and I loved it. I gave to a friend of mine for her birthday and it's her favorite ski hat now. :)

I have a question about the description of the pattern for decreasing rows. You write:
Decrease rows:

My question is what does the * refer to? In the above lines, there is no *, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

I didn't even notice this when I made the hat... You just repeat from the first P1 on that round. So it should be

Next round, decrease within each cable: *P1, hold three stitches forward, K1 k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, K1 skpo, P1, repeat from, *

Kiwi
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi, I just wanted to say Anise, thanks for your lovely pattern (Braided Hat). I live in New Zealand and my son asked for a hat with an Aran pattern. I bought a couple of patterns from the local shop and had a look at heaps of hat patterns on the internet and out of them all he has chosen your one! He wants it knitted in typical Aran cream colour. Thanks for creating this hat and having it available on the internet. Kindest regards from Kiwi girl.

anise
05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Awesome!! So happy to have been able to help out!

sapnakori
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Anise,

I am a beginner too. Found ur work after lots of search. Its very nice.
However, I have a question. Can u please explain the following section

"Work the band in 2x2 rib knit for about 1 inch. (You'll notice my rib knit is 3x3. This was a mistake. Don't do that. This hat also has a row of purled stitches. You can either do that or not. ) "

I am not sure what is rib knit is.

Hope to see ur reply soon

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Sapna

jhelanee
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Welcome Sapna!

"rib knit" (also frequently called ribbing) is a basic knitting stitch pattern. In short, you alternate knit and purl stitches, aligning them vertically to form columns. Ribbing is very stretchy and frequently used for cuffs or other places you want a snug fit. You can view a video of making ribbing here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php). The number designation (2x2, 3x3 etc) indicates how many knit and purl stitches make up each vertical column. In this pattern, which calls for a 2x2 rib, you will alternate two knit stitches and two purl stitches.
Hopefully that answered your question. If not let me know and I will try to elaborate further. Good luck and happy knitting! xxx

rachelW
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
First post.. hellooo everyone

This is a beautiful hat and a great pattern!

I've just made one and it was so easy!

I did it on double ended needles (my first time!) and it was my first time doing cables and they worked out great.

I'm already working on a matching scarf and soon i'm going to tackle mittens!

jhelanee
11-08-2006, 02:59 AM
First post.. hellooo everyone

This is a beautiful hat and a great pattern!

I've just made one and it was so easy!

I did it on double ended needles (my first time!) and it was my first time doing cables and they worked out great.

I'm already working on a matching scarf and soon i'm going to tackle mittens!

Welcome! :waving:

Congrats on finishing a project with both cabling and DPNs! I look forward to seeing the scarf and mittens...

~Jennifer

juliepauline
11-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I made this hat and it is awesome! I've gotten a lot of compliments, and now I want to make a matching scarf. Has anyone done this or have any tips??

thanks!

Guakamori
11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Hmmmmmmm... You could just do a cabled scarf?

This one was on the patterns page:

http://www.yarnagogo.com/good_ole_cabled_scarf/

It looks pretty nice. ^_^

And so was this one:

http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm

You could just change the color to whatever you want? I don't know. ^_^;

Sorry if it's not much help. But, yep. I love cables! ^_^

anise
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I fixed the image on the front page. Sorry about that; I had accidentally deleted it off my server. It shoudl be back now.

kirstee1982
12-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi! I love your hat and would very much like to have a go at making it. I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by "hold three stitches forward". I'm quite new to knitting and don't know all the terminology yet!

Thank you!

SandraEllen
12-20-2006, 09:49 AM
kirstie1982, check out Amy's video for making cables here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) (you have to scroll down about 1/2 way under Decorative Stitches).
When it says to "hold 3 stitches forward", you're slipping 3 to the cable needle, and then holding that cable needle in the front.

steff
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Beautiful hat!

I've been looking for a really good warm hat to make for my brother, who is a pretty large guy. I'll probably have to leave off the pompon, though!

Can you give us an idea of the gauge or the finished size, and also the specs for the yarn you used, so that the pattern can be adapted for an adult?

Thanks!

Leave off the pompon?
My Boyfriend ALWAYS wears a hat with a pompon :happydance:
Not out of his own choice i must assure you ;)

carole
02-27-2007, 07:59 AM
hello!

anise, your hat is very beautiful!
Unfortunately, I am from Switzerland and I can't understand English well enough to read the pattern...

Could anybody translate it into French???? I know it's a big request..... but I try, and perhaps a nice and bilinguial person will help me :)

Skater
03-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I just made one (without the pom-pon), and it looks very nice!

I would like to know how to figure out the decreases for the crown within the cables. It would be fun to try to use other cable patterns I have to make a hat.

zumpazoo
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Thank you so much for your great pattern. I have made two of them and they turned out just beautiful. I would post a picture but I don't know how. I mailed the hats off to a children's hospice. Thank you again. [/img]

myrnapap
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
This hat is beautiful!! Have you made it enough times to know how many inches to knit before decreasing. Thanks so much!
Myrna

Hygiene Mama
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I can't wait to make this, thank you so much for the pattern!

carebears416
06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Anise,

there's 3 between the back and front also, row 8, 1 and 2 are the 'plain' rows, then between the front and back row 4,5 and 6 are the 'plain' rows, hope this makes since.

This was my first hat project i made it for my sister for Christmas i have a thing for having to colors together instead of a plain color, so i used two colors held together as one the whole pattern. I also changed the pattern a little to work on straight needles so i can make a matching scarf.
here's a picture of my hat, i'll post one of the scarf when i finish.
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6883/1003414hc7.jpg
file:///E:/DCIM/100K7590/100_3414.JPG

lindag
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow! This exactly the kind of hat pattern I've been searching for...I love making hats and they're the kind of project that helps me learn more knitting skills.
I've never made cables before but the video that was linked above makes it ever so clear how to do!
I'm really excited to start this hat, just need to find the prettiest yarn for it.
Thanks, Anise, for developing the pattern and then sharing it with the rest of us. You're brilliant!

Linda

myrnapap
07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you for sharing this hat! I made it in dark green even though I have no idea who to give it to!

rrdesigns
07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm just starting on your beautiful hat pattern, have any corrections or changes been posted I've missed? I raise alpacas, and will make this from my brown handspun. I'm sure it will look awesome!!

On your SKPO, this is a slip and knit just one stitch, not 2 like the usual PSSO stitch? Just to clarify, I think I've figured the rest out. Thanks!

suzeeq
07-14-2007, 12:07 AM
A PSSO is a slip, knit 1 then Pass Slip Stitch Over. So is a Slip, Knit, Pass slip st Over.

Beckie
07-31-2007, 03:35 AM
Lovely hat Anise its really gorgeous.
Just one question though: Do you do the rows below in the round on circular needles or do you just use the circular needles as normal needles for these rows?

1st row: *P1,K9, P1, repeat from * to end
2nd row: same as for 1
3rd row: *P1, hold three stitches forward, K3, knit 3 from cable, K3, P1, repeat from, * to end
4th 5th 6th: same as row 1
7th row: *P1, K3, hold 3 stitches to back, K3, k3 from cable, P1, repeat from, * to end
8th row: same as row 1

Thanks
beckie

WshUpnASta
10-09-2007, 05:36 AM
How would this pattern work if we cast on 109 stitches and did the k2 p2 ribbing for 1 inch and on the last row increase 1stitch at the end so that we would have multipes of 11 (110 stitches)?

WshUpnASta
10-10-2007, 09:58 AM
After I typed that I realized that I'd need an even # of stitches to do the k2/p2 so I am going to try it with 110 and see what happens.

WshUpnASta
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I just cast on 110 and it ended up with 4 knits together from beginning and end of row. I think what I should do is cast on 108 and do the k2-p2, then on the last row I will increase 3 stitches to bring it to the 110 and then I can start the patterns.

suzeeq
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Your CO has to be a multiple of 4 sts if you're going to do 2x2 ribbing. So you need 108 or 112 for it to come out right. Why do you have to have 110 sts?

WshUpnASta
10-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Thats what the pattern originally said. But she did k3 p3 by mistake.

WshUpnASta
10-12-2007, 06:55 AM
I have done about 3 inches on the hat, and I love the pattern. I did cast of 108 stitches and did the k2 p2. Then on the last row, I did straight knitting, but increased 2 stitches on that row. So now I have 110 stitches and tha pattern works out just fine. I love it, and it was a big hit at my knitting class (I am taking an adult ed knitting class) They were tired of seeing me come in working on baby sweaters.

WshUpnASta
10-14-2007, 06:21 PM
So how many patterns did everyone make before they started the decrease rows.

knitella
10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
I've been searching for a hat pattern with cables and yours suits my purpose perfectly! Looking forward to casting on. Thanks, Anise!

WshUpnASta
10-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I finished a pastel pink hat and my dd18 just decided that she liked this pattern but in a Lettuce color from knitpicks.com. I had ordered the yarn to make a baby sweater set, so I guess I'm going to need some more of this color so that I can do the braided hat and the set.

greenwitchknitter
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Great pattern! Just finished, first cable attempt, thanks for the easy instructions!! I must knit tightly on the round because 88 stitches was too small for my 8 year old but great for a 4 year old!
Thanks again! Love it!

Tinker
11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
A beautiful hat!!! I'm thinking of making it in "Click" (a slightly heavy worsted weight).... and it's gotta be red!!!

WshUpnASta
11-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I just finished this pattern and made it with a rolled up ribbing. Its made of Andean Silk from www.knitpicks.com. This pattern is lovely.

Debbie in Maine.http://makingtimetoknit.blogspot.com/

anise
11-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I have done about 3 inches on the hat, and I love the pattern. I did cast of 108 stitches and did the k2 p2. Then on the last row, I did straight knitting, but increased 2 stitches on that row. So now I have 110 stitches and tha pattern works out just fine. I love it, and it was a big hit at my knitting class (I am taking an adult ed knitting class) They were tired of seeing me come in working on baby sweaters.

That's a really good idea. I think I'll do a revised braieded hat pattern with this as my starting point. I hate that my instructions didn't make as much sense as I thought :) That's what you get for having 4 weeks' worth of experience with something and then trying to help other people with it :p

If there are other improvements to the pattern people have used I'd love to know them so I could rewrite this in the most useful way I can.

Thanks y'all :)

WshUpnASta
11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Anise,

Your hat is lovely! Its my favorite one to do! I have it marked at Ravelry.com as being your pattern. Thanks so much!!

chocogirl
11-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks so much for this super awesome pattern. I'm a super newbie when it comes to knitting, I've only knitted scarves so far and 1 hat. Now I'm going to move onto the next stage and make this hat. Yay for this pattern, it'll so match with my double-sided cable scarf (as xmas present).

Everyone sounds very friendly and super helpful in this forum. I'm looking forward to seeking advices and help from all of you.

Also, can someone let me know what are DPNs?

Thanks so much ahead of time.

boo1
11-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I just finished this pattern and made it with a rolled up ribbing. Its made of Andean Silk from www.knitpicks.com. This pattern is lovely.

Debbie in Maine.http://makingtimetoknit.blogspot.com/

Oh, SO pretty! I love the original and I love the rolled up ribbing too! And the color.....:cheering:

WshUpnASta
11-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks so much for this super awesome pattern. I'm a super newbie when it comes to knitting, I've only knitted scarves so far and 1 hat. Now I'm going to move onto the next stage and make this hat. Yay for this pattern, it'll so match with my double-sided cable scarf (as xmas present).

Everyone sounds very friendly and super helpful in this forum. I'm looking forward to seeking advices and help from all of you.

Also, can someone let me know what are DPNs?

Thanks so much ahead of time.

DPN's are double pointed needles. When you are decreasing the top part of the hat, you'll need them as the circular needles are too long at that point.

Debbie

WshUpnASta
12-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone!
I just started this chocolate brown Andean Silk yarn (from Knitpicks.com) on friday evening. I just finished it tonight 6pm eastern standard time.

http://makingtimetoknit.blogspot.com/

WshUpnASta
12-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Not sure why it won't paste the picture here. I guess you'll have to check my blog to see the picture of the chocolate hat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14163131@N08/2200076610/

Jan in CA
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
It's a beautiful hat!

You can't just paste a picture. You can upload and attach it from your computer or if you have it online like in photobucket you can embed it.

To attach it from your computer click the paper clip on the tool bar above the text box and browse to the photo. Then click upload. Resize them first to about 800x600 or less though. ;)

knitAbikini
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Very nice! I like it! Is it for you? :)

WshUpnASta
12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Very nice! I like it! Is it for you? :)

Its for my dd21 for Christmas.

lostkiwi
01-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Thank you for this great pattern, I look forward to making it tomorrow!

loquacious
01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
So the hat is modeled on a child but if I am using Patons' sws I have cast on 130 to fit my head-average adult, to do the ribbing then what should I decrease it down to before starting the cabling?Or should I just frog the ribbed part and start over?

Jaxhil
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
All the hats are GORGEOUS! I really need to make this, it looks like fun and turns out so beautifully :heart:

I really liked that little yellow baby sweater with the sort of chain link design around the yoke, too-how cute is that??

WshUpnASta
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
It's a beautiful hat!

You can't just paste a picture. You can upload and attach it from your computer or if you have it online like in photobucket you can embed it.

To attach it from your computer click the paper clip on the tool bar above the text box and browse to the photo. Then click upload. Resize them first to about 800x600 or less though. ;)

Can you help me upload it as a thumbnail?

YouCantBuyThisMovement
01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
That is sooo pretty. I must have one!:inlove:

jheenie
01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
This is a beautiful beautiful hat... so far i have only knit simple ribbed beanies... and i'm definitely going to try this one... :) Thanks a lot for this lovely knit

cherylsimpson
02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Great hat! It inspired me to try cable knitting for the first time!!

mamibabe
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
It's very beautiful. I have tried twice but it suited girls and I only have 2 boys so I had to give the hats away. Great pattern.

truenorth
03-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi Wsh,
I am going to follow your steps and start with 108 so that the k2p2 ribbing comes out right, but can you tell me how/where you did the increases to 110? Did you do a purl row as suggested by Anise and do it in that row? In the back? I have never done increases and wonder which of Amy's videos would apply here -- the KRL Knit Right Loop and KLL Knit Left Loop? Appreciate your help - !!! Thank you!!

WshUpnASta
03-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Hi Wsh,
I am going to follow your steps and start with 108 so that the k2p2 ribbing comes out right, but can you tell me how/where you did the increases to 110? Did you do a purl row as suggested by Anise and do it in that row? In the back? I have never done increases and wonder which of Amy's videos would apply here -- the KRL Knit Right Loop and KLL Knit Left Loop? Appreciate your help - !!! Thank you!!

I did the k2p2 for three inches, but on the last row (which makes 3 inches) I knit all stitches and just increased two stitches on that row.

Does this make sense?

WshUpnASta
03-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Hi Wsh,

The increase that I used was K in front and back of the same stitch.

truenorth
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
The increase that I used was K in front and back of the same stitch.
Wsh -- Thank you!! Just woke up to find your quick reply from late last night. Am still a novice but realize I did use the kfb increase on a baby hat that I finished a couple of weeks ago. Great! I'm on a roll now :-) This looks like such a pretty pattern.

truenorth
03-19-2008, 09:50 AM
OK, here's another question. I have finally reached the decrease rows and have a question about skpo (slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over). Do I slip the stitch knitwise or purlwise, or does it matter?
This hat is soooooo pretty!!! I am using Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (80% baby alpaca/20% silk) in a medium light blue color. It is so soft. Maybe I'll try to post a photo when I finish...

psquidy
03-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Isn't this a old thread?

truenorth
03-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Have asked questions re this pattern earlier this month and got great help -- but I'm not an expert here, is this thread now closed? Help!

Mirl56
03-20-2008, 06:40 AM
This certainly is an old thread, but Lynnea, there's no reason you can't post to it and ask a question or two. I think it's fasinating that this thread has had over 138,000 'looks' at it!!

If you're still waiting for an answer on your pass slipped stitch over question, slip the first stitch knit-wise. If you're already past this point and did it the other way, don't worry too much about it - as long as you're consistent it will look fine.

Are you finished your hat yet? Would love to see it.

anise
03-20-2008, 09:02 AM
OK, here's another question. I have finally reached the decrease rows and have a question about skpo (slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over). Do I slip the stitch knitwise or purlwise, or does it matter?
This hat is soooooo pretty!!! I am using Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (80% baby alpaca/20% silk) in a medium light blue color. It is so soft. Maybe I'll try to post a photo when I finish...

Knitwise :)

truenorth
03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Mirl and Anise, :muah:
Thank you so much for your responses. I was still waiting -- so appreciate your reply. I'll now keep on working at it. As soon as I finish it, I'll try to post a photo!

robinhinton@cox.net
03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi Anise,
I love the beautiful cable pattern hat and am just finishing one for my granddaughter. Can you please give me some idea of when to start the decrease; either after a certain number of patterns or inches. It is going beautifully and I don't want to make it too short!!!! Thanks so much, Robin

bambi
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
It's such a lovely hat that I, too, am not surprised it has >138k looks! I copied it for my "try this" file.

Bambi

AnNiEtOuChInGhEaRtS
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
i love it!
it seems kinda difficult, but i'll try. 8)
its lovely.
keep on knitting superstar!

Cissie
08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I just finished this hat and it came out great. My daughter really likes the look of it. Thank you so much for such a great hat that was easy enough for a beginner.

WshUpnASta
08-24-2008, 08:53 AM
As far as I know, its an older thread but it's still open. I love this hat pattern though. Thank you very much Anise.

Leylaa
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know what these (p1,k9, p1) mean.
please help me..
:pout: :pout: :pout:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
purl 1, knit 9, purl 1

:thumbsup:

Leylaa
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
tagh tagh
Anybody there???

Goknitting
11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Anise. [I] love the hat pattern but don't know what skpo means.

Goknitting

Oh gosh, sorry. I just re-read the pattern and found my answer. Thanks for a lovely pattern. I'll enjoy starting it on this rainy afternoon.

WshUpnASta
12-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm just starting another one of these wonderful hats and I wanted to thank Anise again for sharing this with us!

Merry Christmas from Deb in Maine.

truenorth
12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
I'll second that thank you to Anise and also to you, Deb, as you helped me through this project with a question or two. I finished it (finally!) in November and it is now on its way to Japan to our "adopted daughter" there - in time for Christmas! (I'll try to post a picture as soon as things simmer down after the holidays....) Merry Christmas!!!!

Joya
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM

New knitter here! :) I just have a quick question about one of the decrease rounds. Is the part I bolded above also supposed to be k2tog?

Thanks!

truenorth
01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Finally it got finished! My first cable project! It made it to Japan in time for Christmas...
I love this yarn: Debbie Bliss baby alpaca and silk.
Thanks again for such a wonderful pattern!

luvmykid28
01-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Way to go Truenorth. Your hat looks great. I plan to learn to cable this year.

Doodknitwit
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
i missed it..

Jan in CA
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
i missed it..

Go to the first post. :thumbsup:

Doodknitwit
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
can anyone tell me the requirements or gauge?:X: :shrug:
please!!

truholt
01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I love this hat..however I am stuck at the decrease in the cable...there is an asterisk for the repeat, however there isn't an asterisk to to determine where to repeat from. I have dereased the first cable (the row in which you hold stitches to the front)..now what?......Similarly, once I get to the row in which you decrease holding stitches to the back, what is the repeat?

ksjohnso
04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I just started to knit (this week). I know this might sound crazy, but I want to make this a summer project (hat, scarf, and mittens for winter 2010...or 2011). I am not sure how to read a pattern though. How much yarn should I use?

SheWolfDanielle
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
truholt, I repeated as though the missing asterisk was in fron of the first P1 for that round. Thus, in the decrease section, after first direction -- to work the two rounds of: (p1, k9, p1) -- the next direction should read thus:

Next round, decrease within each cable: *p1, hold three stitches forward, k1 k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, k1 skpo, p1, repeat from *

SheWolfDanielle
04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
I just finished knitting this one yesterday. It's a little big (given the pattern it was either that or a little small since I have a larger-than-average hat size), so I'm rolling the brim up in front. I like it that way. I also think I like it without the pompom.

I think it turned out pretty good ^.^

lulubell
04-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Love the colour!

astonh
04-17-2009, 01:57 PM
ksjohnso - Found that you'd need about 170 yds of Aran/Worsted on Size 8US needles to do this hat. Hope that helps.

lmaxson
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the georgous hat, but I'm new to circular and need guidance with ribbing. I get the straight needle k2p2, but is it the same on the second row on circular needles?

zoerba
03-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone, I am nearly a brand new knitter - I've only made a basic hat and scarf before this project. I used this pattern to make a hat but used a different size needle and yarn. Thought I'd share the results with you. :)

This is with a size 9 needle and size 5 bulky yarn. I casted on 77 stitches. It does fit my head but is a bit snug. I would also probably make it a little longer next time.

This was a lot of fun! The first picture is true to the color. Thought I'd share. :)

AniseRN
03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Anise! I just wanted to say "hi" because my name is also Anise! 5 years ago when you posted this pattern you said you were a new knitter, and now I'm a newly resumed knitter--about 3 mos. Love your name! (But then, I'm biased :^))

Anise

allisonmimo
05-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello, I like your hat pattern and was wondering what gauge you used?

Lalaland26
12-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Wait...i don't get it
How many stitches do I cast on?

LoveBugAngel
12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
I have size 10 US needles, will it make a huge difference? I also picked up Vintage Worsted yarn. My head is size 22" any idea of how to proceed to figuring out how many I cast on?

salmonmac
01-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Best to do a swatch with your yarn and needles in the pattern stitch. Count the number of sts across the middle part (about 2-4") of the swatch, not including the edge sts. Since it's a cable pattern, slightly stretch the cable out when yoo measure it.
Now you can calculate sts/inch and multiply that number times about 20" (~2" less than your head size). That's the number of sts to cast on.

LoveBugAngel
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks! Question though, should I make my swatch on the circular needles that I want to use, and cast on the amount this pattern says to cast on then count? And I need a multiple of 11 but also a multiple of 4 that leaves me with either 44 or 88

salmonmac
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
You really don't have to cast on that many sts. You just need approximately 4" worth. You can knit the swatch on circular needles if you use this method (http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/circular-gauge-swatch) from the videos here at KH.

LoveBugAngel
01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the video. What about the fact that I need multiples of 11 and multiples of 4?

salmonmac
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Just do a sampling of the cable or cables and some of the background sts. It's meant to give you an idea of the sts/inch that you'll get in the pattern without knitting the whole thing. Cables always pull in the sts, so you'll need to stretch the swatch slightly when you measure it.

LoveBugAngel
01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
but I mean once I figure out how many I will need I still will need to do multiples of 4 for the 2 x 2 ribbing, then multiples of 11 for the pattern won't I?

salmonmac
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Ah, yes, I see. Yes, that's right. There'll be stretch in this so just come close to the sts you need for your measurement, making sure you're doing the multiples for the pattern (2x2 rib or multiples of 11)

LoveBugAngel
01-02-2012, 02:14 AM
but u can't do a 2x2 rib with a multiple of 11 unless its 44 or 88 sts this will make my hat either way to small or way too big. Maybe I should just go get some size 8 needles LOL

salmonmac
01-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Sounds like all those math problems that your teachers warned you about doesn't it? What you do is find a multiple of 11 that will come close to the correct size (~2" less than your head size). Then find a multiple of 4 that is close, but a smaller number. Cast on the multiple for the rib and when you're ribbed for the desired length, increase to the multiple of 11 for the cable patten. So if the multiple of 11 is 66sts, cast on 64sts for the rib and increase 2sts on the last row of the rib. Space the increases out so that they're not bunched together whatever the number turns out to be.

LoveBugAngel
01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Why on Earth did I think it said knit with size 8 needles?? I couldn't figure out the conversion for my size 10 needles because I didn't know how to count the stitches in a cable, so stupid me, I went out and bought size 6 needles and cast on 88. I got about a quarter way through and tried it on and couldn't even get it over my head. At least it gave me practice doing cables! Lol

Waffle61
04-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I would like to make this hat, but in the decrease rows it says .....nest round, decrease with each cable; P1, hold three stitches forward, K1, k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, K1 skpo, P1, repeat from*. My question is repeat from where? There is no 1st asterick* Any help would be appreciated.

salmonmac
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
The repeat on previous rows is: (p1,k9, p1) around.
So I think the repeat in this row is the same number of sts with the asterisk at the beginning of the instructions or:
Next round, decrease within each cable: *P1, hold three stitches forward, K1 k2tog, from held stitches k1 k2tog, K1 skpo, P1, repeat from, *

Antares
04-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Waffle, have you looked through this thread to see if your question is answered by one of the myriads of people who have already made this hat? I would look, but I think that's probably something you can do, yes?

In fact, I think I saw this very question answered somewhere in the thread.

Debbie1519
11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Came across this pattern on your pattern page and just wondering what size it is and the gauge of the yarn. Would love to knit it.
debbie

Jan in CA
11-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Here's the pattern with yarn info and gauge. It doesn't link to KH anymore, but this is the thread it's in. The OP hasn't posted in the forum for 5 yrs.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/braided-hat-pattern