PDA

View Full Version : help with pattern please

Peg
01-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to figure out the instructions for the 'My So Called Scarf' pattern I found through the knitting pattern central site.
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html#000079

I'm not understanding how to do row 1.
•Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it* repeat until there is one stitch left, K1

I'm sure I'm just being very dense about this, but I'm just not 'getting' it.
Thanks!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-17-2005, 12:48 PM
wow. this is wierd. I looked in all my books and couldn't find anyting about it. Judging from the number of people who looked at this (and the number who didn't respond!) I'd guess that we're all stumped. Amy the genius will have an answer though.

beldaraan
01-17-2005, 03:21 PM
After watching Amy's video on psso, I've got everything except for one little part. How do you knit into the back of a stitch??? Where does the yarn go? Would that maybe put some sort of twist or turn into it? Instead of putting the needle in through the front, you could try to enter the needle through the back of the stitch and knit it.

If the Alphas around here can't figure it out, I will try to do what I'm pretty sure is the instruction and see if it works.

beldaraan
01-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Peg~

Did you get this figured out yet? I am interested to know. I finished my project so I was going to play around with some experiments before attempting my next project. I absolutely love that pattern, so I am going to give it a try.

PiousPoet
01-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not positively sure, but if I read it right, you do the standard procedure until the psso. I believe that they want you to pick up the stitch as if you were to pass it over, and pass it over as normal. However, don't take the st off the left needle after it has been removed from the right. Knit into the back of the st, or the trailing edge (see Amy's abbreviation page for a video).

amy
01-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Welcome Peg!

Nice pattern!

Okay, I keep a set of needles and yarn right by my computer here, for little forum emergencies like this. LOL. I've figured it out....

The directions are good; I'll try to clarify them a bit more, and see if it helps. You do a slip, knit, pass decrease, as they say (watch the SKP decrease video if it helps), but don't pull the left needle out of that first stitch you've passed over. You will have this loop still on the left needle, and a loop on the right needle that you just passed that stitch over. You need to knit into this left loop, without twisting it. Because of the way this stitch is oriented on the left needle, this looks a lot like working a knit stitch the "combined knitting" way. (See the basic techniques section, combined knitting video.) Basically, you are inserting the right needle down into the back end of the stitch, and pulling a loop of working yarn up through it, to knit it.

Hope that helps!
Amy :)

Peg
01-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Omg, PiousPoet and Amy, you've done it! Thank you so much for 'splaining this so I could understand! I've followed your explanation and the pattern is knitting up beautifully on my practice yarn! Now to get my hands on some yummy Manos!
beldaraan, have you given the pattern a try yet?
Thank you again!
Peg

beldaraan
01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Not yet Peg. I'm working on my hubby's Valentine's gift. I haven't seen anything exactly the way I want it, so I'm doing my own design. Right now I'm working on some model stuff.

I'm itchin' real bad to get to the knitting store though. I need the right colours of yarn for my hubby's gift, and I want to make that scarf! Or at least see if I can do that pattern. Maybe I'll try and make a sweater using that design. I don't know yet, but I want to try it anyway.

I'll keep you posted.

scratch, scratch

Lily1998688
06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Looks like this is a pretty old thread! I found this pattern also from the same website and came to this message board for help. I'm new to knitting, but I think I understand what to do, but for some reason my scarf is starting off looking a lot different than I had pictured. To be extra clear, here are the steps I took:

CO 30 stitches
Row 1: K1, SL1, K1, PSSO onto left needle, K1 into back of passed over stitch, SL1, K1, PSSO onto left needle ......... until last stitch, K1

Row 2: P2TOG, do not slip stitches off, P first stitch, slip off the first 2 purled together stitches, repeat

I'm using Manos wool and US9 needles. I've been knitting the stitches semi-tight to make the stitches easier to knit. Should I be making the stitches really loose to make it easier? Or should I try larger needles? Also, I'm finding it super hard to stay consistent. What should I do? Thanks in advance! =)

Ingrid
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
There are several people who have completed this scarf, and can give you excellent advice on it. I would suggest, though, that you post a question asking for help with the My So-Called Scarf in the title. You'll attract the right people to it then. :thumbsup: