PDA

View Full Version : Baby/Toddler Poncho --EASY

amy
01-30-2005, 12:52 PM
ChronicalsOfYarnia has been kind enough write up her toddler poncho pattern. See her post below....

Thanks CoY!

Amy

Nuno930
01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
yes! please do. I am trying to make one right now for my toddler... but I think it is going to be wayto big :roll:

Oh well, there is always season year huh?

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
No Problem! :) I had alot of fun doing this, and Ms. Genevieve got tons of compliments at church yesterday.

Materials : Lion Brand Homespun (1 skein), Bernat Boa (1 skein), size I crochet hook, Size 10 needles

CO 32 stitches. Work in garter stitch (knit every row) until piece measures 16 inches. Join so that the piece looks like an L. Fold your L so that it looks like a V and join that side. [Video demo here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/misc/poncho-assembly.avi). ~Amy] There you have your poncho.

To add trim: Use Bernat Boa and DC (double crochet) all around the edge.

That's all there is to it. :)

Nuno930
01-31-2005, 01:38 PM
OOooh very nice!!! I did CO 32 stitches as a wild guess! I think my daughter is just a bit smaller than yours... so it should be good for this spring! Yay me!!! I have no idea how to crochet (yeah, I know I need to learn :roll: ) so I may have to leave that part off :? It's is very cute though!

ChroniclesofYarnia
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
To DC the fringe...grab yourself a size I crochet hook and make a loop and stick it on the hook. Then do the following:

- yarn over (just like you would in knitting)
- poke the hook through a hole somewhere
- grab the yarn on the other side with the hook
- pull that yarn through (you will have 3 loops on your hook now)
- YO (just like in knitting) and pull that loop that you just made through 2 of the loops on your hook. (it will leave you with 2 loops on the hook)
- YO , pull the loop you just made through the other 2. (you will have one left)

then just yarn over and poke it through another hole. Does that make sense? I'm willing to help if I can. Crochet is one of those things that once you see it done it's like "OH!". :lol:

amy
02-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks YarnMommy!

Nuno, you could also add fringe, if double crochet is intimidating. Although I do love the look of that edging YarnMommy did! Nice touch YM! :)

When I get time to shoot more videos, I'll be making some on the crochet basics.

Amy

Nuno930
02-01-2005, 01:43 PM
When I get time to shoot more videos, I'll be making some on the crochet basics.

OMG! YAY!!! Can I do some dishes or vaccum for you???? :mrgreen:

foldedbird
02-02-2005, 02:23 AM
No, Amy... don't do crochet videos. You will give me yet *another* excuse to buy yarn. I've spent about $75 on needles and yarn and books in the last 3 weeks, thanks to you! Alllll your fault!

amy
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
LOL, Nuno and Denise. :) You two crack me up. :lol:

Nuno930
03-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Ok, I *finally* have to two pieces knitted. It the fuzzy stuff something I can put on after assembly???

foldedbird
03-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Uh, I think you can just pick up stitches on the ends of your rectangle(s)...

Nuno930
03-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Hmmm, now I am thinking I don't need it. If the kid will let me take her picture I'll post it and see what you all think.

benniesma
03-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm working on a toddler scarf for my daughter. I'm not using the homespun though. I went crazy and picked out Paton's Twister, but still using size 10 needles. I was wondering how long your cast on edges are? I want to make sure my rectangles are the right size.

Thanks!
laura

willowmom
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
You guys, I'm sorry but I' a dork.

I'm a new knitter and I just don't get it. Okay, so I make essentially a big rectangle that's 32 stiches (CO) x 16 inches. I bind off when my rectangle is only 16 inches long. Than I fold it into an L, and fold the L into a V and join everything together?

My rectangle is not yet 16 inches, but I want to first confirm that I have to bind off before joining (this is my first joining project), but also I'm concerned becuase it doens't seem possible with only 16 inches to work with.

Where is my feeble little braing going wrong???

Thanks for any help.

Mer
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
You guys, I'm sorry but I' a dork.

I'm a new knitter and I just don't get it. Okay, so I make essentially a big rectangle that's 32 stiches (CO) x 16 inches. I bind off when my rectangle is only 16 inches long. Than I fold it into an L, and fold the L into a V and join everything together?

My rectangle is not yet 16 inches, but I want to first confirm that I have to bind off before joining (this is my first joining project), but also I'm concerned becuase it doens't seem possible with only 16 inches to work with.

Where is my feeble little braing going wrong???

Thanks for any help.

Amy actually has a video on assembling it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/), about mid-way down on the page. I haven't watched it, but maybe that will help. Also, I'm thinking that maybe you need two rectangles of the same size? That's what it looks like in the original baby sized pattern.

Rennagayle
03-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes, it's two rectangles that you make and join together (as Amy shows in the video).

I'm just about finished with my toddler poncho, but have an elementary question on finishing it. When I "sew" the two rectangles together, how, exactly, is that done? Do I just thread a yarn needle with the yarn and whipstitch the two edges together, or what? :?? This is only my third project, and my first two were scarves. I am totally clueless here. :doh:

benniesma
03-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Rennagayle, could you post the finished size of your rectangles? I'm still pretty clueless as to how wide they are (how long the cast on side is) THanks!

Rennagayle
03-24-2005, 12:27 AM
I altered the pattern slightly when I made mine. I used a worsted weight (Caron's Simply Soft), and cast on 36 stitches. My rectangles each measure 9" x 15".

willowmom
03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah...uh...I knew that.

:-/

Thanks Rennagayle, I knew there was something dreadfully wrong! I never looked at the original baby pattern. Now it makes so much more sense!

I'm working on rectangle #2 now. Almost finished!

Rennagayle
03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Almost finished!

Hooray! :cheering:

Sandra
03-30-2005, 12:31 AM
*coming out of lurk-land* Is there an adults version of this poncho?

Rennagayle
03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Here are a couple of variations of it to fit an adult:

http://www.maizehutton.com/easyponcho.html

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=24232&categoryid=32

Sandra
03-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Oh lovely, thankyou so much!

knitqueen
05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
I altered the pattern slightly when I made mine. I used a worsted weight (Caron's Simply Soft), and cast on 36 stitches. My rectangles each measure 9" x 15".

This is good to hear....I just finished the first rectangle for mine, measuring 9"x16" and I can't for the life of me figure out how this is going to become a poncho. At least I know I'm on the right track.

Off to watch Amy's video now......

:XX:

knitqueen
05-02-2005, 01:20 PM
THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!!!!! Thank you Amy!!

:thumbsup:

Rennagayle
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
It's really cool how it comes together, huh? :D You can also adapt the same pattern for an adult sized one, by making larger rectangles. You can simply use newspaper to cut out the right size rectangles to tape together to size it for an adult, then knit your rectangles to match the size of the newspaper rectangles. You'd just need to figure out how many to cast on in order to get the necessary width (to match the paper).

MAmaDawn
01-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok, I need your help converting this to adult size. How do I do it? Do you think it would be best to try it up on my daughter and myself to see what will fit? or just make a swatch and go from there?

Thanks!

MAmaDawn
01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
:oops: OOPS! sorry I didn't read of the posts before mine, got a little excited!

2girlsmom
02-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum... joined bc I am learning to knit. :) I went to Hobby Lobby today and got some homespun yarn and some yarn bee yarn to make this with... I wondered, how old is your DD yarnmommy? My DD is 2.5. I'm wondering how this will work for her...

carpe
03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi to all, Love the poncho but need help. Can we start over? I understand that there are 2 rectangles made and sewed together to make the poncho.Is this correct? How many stitches would you use for a small
4 1/2 year old granddaughter?
Thank you for all your help!
Carpe

Shandeh
03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Here's a photo of the purple poncho I made for my new granddaughter. I used Red Heart's Jeweltones, which is pretty and glittery! (The yarn is discontinued, but you can find it on eBay.)

Shandeh
03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
How many stitches would you use for a small
4 1/2 year old granddaughter?
Thank you for all your help!
Carpe

If I were you, I would measure from the edge of her neck to the edge of her wrist, and you'll know how wide each rectangle should be. Do a gauge swatch and figure out how many stitches per inch you knit, then cast on the number you need.

Offita
03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I just finished my little poncho. :D I made it for my friend's little girl. She is about 2 1/2 year old so I made 9"x16" size. I hope it fits her. We'll see.

I used Lion Brand Homespun "Boston Rose" yarn. For the edge, I used Bernat Boa "Love Bird" yarn. Since I'm not good at crocheting at all, I knitted the fringe about 1 inch wide (4 stitches with size 13 needles) and then sewed it to the edge of the poncho!

Here's the picture;

Shandeh
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
So pretty! I love that rosy color!

Weasley
03-28-2006, 12:16 AM
That is adorable, Offita!

I am currently working on the poncho for my soon to be 5 year old niece to give as a birthday gift. I am using my students in my classroom as models to figure out how big to make.

I followed, carolina red's advice and measured from neck to wrist. The width of my rectangle is about 14 inches. I haven't gotten very far yet on the length.

My work in progress (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/weezy/Personal/IMG_0376.jpg)

I am using Lion Brand Yarn Color Waves in Mai Tai. Size 9 needles.

doubletroublesma
04-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Can someone tell me what you would do (ie: how many stitches/ and length) for a 4.5 month old baby girl? I have attempted a baby sweater and poncho from another site and both have turned out right according to the pattern but no way is it going to fit the baby.

I also would like to know if I can do stocking stitch (pearl/knit) instead of garter stitch the entire poncho.

Thanks

Alae
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this group and to knitting. It's been a great learning experience and now I have something to help with stress. YEA! :happydance:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the gauge is for the toddler poncho. I don't have any lion brand homespun, but I have tons of read heart wortsed weight. Will this make a big difference? :??
Thanks,
Alae

Shandeh
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
The width of my rectangle is about 14 inches. I haven't gotten very far yet on the length.

My work in progress (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/weezy/Personal/IMG_0376.jpg)

I am using Lion Brand Yarn Color Waves in Mai Tai. Size 9 needles.

Very pretty!

Shandeh
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Can someone tell me what you would do (ie: how many stitches/ and length) for a 4.5 month old baby girl? I have attempted a baby sweater and poncho from another site and both have turned out right according to the pattern but no way is it going to fit the baby.

I also would like to know if I can do stocking stitch (pearl/knit) instead of garter stitch the entire poncho.

Thanks

You could always make another one with smaller needles or larger needles or change to a thicker or thinner yarn. That would make it a different size. ;)

Shandeh
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the gauge is for the toddler poncho. I don't have any lion brand homespun, but I have tons of read heart wortsed weight. Will this make a big difference? :??

Yeah, it will make a difference, but not huge. The red heart yarn is worsted, and the homespun is bulky. The red heart yarn would make a smaller poncho. You could follow directions for a larger size, and it might work out just right! Good luck!

Alae
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I'm halfway done with my poncho. Yeah me! :cheering:

Rennagayle
08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Good for you, Alae; you're moving right along! :clap:

Prajakta
09-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi
I am trying the toddler poncho pattern. I am stuck at the crrochet part.

I read the instructions and the only thing I have not followed so far is

"poke the hook through a hole somewhere "

Could anyone explain? Should I poke the hook through a hole in poncho ?

I am confused.

Regards
Prajakta

Rennagayle
09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not so good at 'splaining things, so someone else can probably better tell you what to do, but I will give it a shot.

Basically, you're "picking up stitches". If you've ever done that in knitting, you'll know you just insert your hook into a gap or hole created between stitches, along the edge of the garment. You'll then pull the yarn through that hole. If you have not picked up stitches before, look at Amy's video on it, and that's pretty much the same way you get started crocheting the edges. At least that's how I do it.

Nicole Leigh
01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm very new to knitting, only a few days in fact. I'm afraid I'm now obbsessed.
I've just finished a poncho for my niece. She is not quite 2. I cast on 36 stiches, instead of the 32, I should have. When I finshed, the neck hole is too small for even, her little peanut head. Any way to fix this after the fact? :oops:

Nik

reillye
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Hello all, I'm a new knitter and this is my first project. Thank you all for posting it, and for the video for assembly. I'm a few inches into my first rectangle (CO 32, the Lion's Head Homespun, size 10 needles, just as in the original). I'm trying to figure out how long I need to make it so that the head opening is a good size. I have a small toddler, but she has a big head! Could someone who has made this let me know how long your rectangles were and how wide your head opening is? Thanks!

Eileen

Shandeh
01-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I can't give you measurements, but I will tell you that yarn is very forgiving! It stretches a LOT! :)

coffeegirl
03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I love all the Poncho's you ladies have made, they are gorgeous. I hope my first attempt turns out half as nice. :happydance:

With regard to those querying measurements of the rectangles. I read an article the other day that basically listed three adult sizes and always had the short side of the rectangle half the length of the long side. eg. if you knit 11" wide, make it 22" long.

This looks a good pattern
http://lionbrand.com/patterns/kcw-childsPoncho.html?noImages=0
and you will notice it uses the same principal.

I am confused by your sizing in the States though and not sure how to interpret them into Australian sizes. For my 5year old I think I will do the tween/teen size.

I also made up a pattern as someone else mentioned out of paper and tried it for size.

With regard to the fringing, I really like the crochet look and will give it a try when I get that far, but if all else fails some fringes like on that Lion brand pattern will still finish it off just nicely I think and not half as complicated as crochet for those of us who have never done it 8)

I am no expert, far from it but have been researching Ponchos for kids for the past 3 days non-stop so my head is full of Poncho information :lol: xxx xxx xxx

momwolf
03-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Child 3-7 means 3 to 7 years old
Tween teen means 8 to 16 years old
The numbers on this pattern are actually ages

coffeegirl
03-31-2007, 02:17 AM
OK thanks, I wondered if that were the case but with ladies for example your Size 8 is Size 12 in Australia so I was worried the kids might be similar. But ages is fairly easy to go by.

ironmaiden
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I just started this today - about halfway done with the first panel - so far so good!

Shandeh
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
It's easy, isn't it? :)

ironmaiden
04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
It's easy, isn't it? :)

You can say that again - I seriously just started knitting like 5 days ago lol. Of course, I have very little yarn since I just bought a little to learn, so I'm going to have to wait on starting the second half until I can pick up another ball!

ironmaiden
04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Here's mine:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/kbrengle/Hpim1041.jpg

I used worsted weight 100% cotton (Sugar n' Cream) instead of what the original called for, mostly bc it will be warm here soon and I didn't want it to be too heavy.

Shandeh
04-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Very nice! You're a fast knitter!

ironmaiden
04-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Or, I did almost nothing else for 2 days lol.

:teehee:

Shandeh
04-15-2007, 04:43 PM
:rofl:

Been there

Rennagayle
04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Hah! You've described many of my weekends. :rofl:

ironmaiden
04-15-2007, 05:00 PM
:woohoo:

I was a little worried that I might be a total whacko lol.

Rennagayle
04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
:woohoo:

I was a little worried that I might be a total whacko lol.

If so, you're in the right place, surrounded by other whackos. :mrgreen:

reillye
04-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Just an update - the head opening was plenty big enough, even for my 97%ile babe!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/reillye6/CIMG1865.jpg

ironmaiden
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I really like that - the colors are very pretty :D.

Rennagayle
04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Just an update - the head opening was plenty big enough, even for my 97%ile babe.

And what an adorable little babe she is! :muah:

jmortiz1
05-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm really interested in trying this poncho, but I made a shawl out of Homespun and it shed like there was no tomorrow. Was the fringe the culprit since I didn't knot it off or has anyone else had this problem? :shrug: Thanks fro any advice!

jmortiz1
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I just read another thread where almost everyone hates Homespun, so I guess I have my answer. I'm going to try the poncho with 3 strands of Bernat Baby held together. Keeping my fingers crossed.

pas_beancounter
07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Thank you for posting these instructions. I made a poncho for my 3 and 1/2 year old and she LOVES it. It was my first attempt at making something that's "wearable" and ended up using just over 1 skein of the Homespun. However, since I used size 10.5 needles rather than size 10 and cast on 37 stitches, I figured things would go a little haywire. =] Tomorrow I start my next poncho with the correct sized needles and following your instructions more closely.

Thank you again for sharing.

pas_beancounter
07-03-2007, 12:10 AM
I just read another thread where almost everyone hates Homespun, so I guess I have my answer. I'm going to try the poncho with 3 strands of Bernat Baby held together. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Homespun sheds and gets ratty. But it does look pretty cool. I used it on my first poncho and will use it for the next two since I committed by purchasing and winding the yarn already. But the 4th will be different. I have a really nice, soft yarn that I think will make a gorgeous poncho for my girl.

Good luck with the Bernat Baby. Please post and let us know how it turns out.

JanKnit
07-03-2007, 03:48 AM
I've been practicing regular stitches (stockinette?) for a couple months now and, though I haven't made anything but a bunch of squares (and they are looking better and better LOL) I am very pleased with my progress. I am the kind of person who sits down to a piano and just wants music to fly from my fingers, so taking the time to learn this has been VERY good for me :)

THAT SAID ... I am going to give this shawl a try! (Yay me LOL :D)
I have a 4 yo daughter who would probably love to watch me make something for her to wear and I just wanted to post here and say THANKS to whomever started this thread and posted the info for the poncho. I am really stoked about it and can't wait to start it.

I saw where one lady had it done in just a few days. It may take me a while, but Em should have it by autumn LOL

~Janet

Jgood1223
10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
I am a new knitther and would like to make the baby size of this poncho. The links to the original baby size don't seem to be working. Can someone please direct me to the baby size? Thank you.

Eli&SkyesMom
10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, I've got the poncho made, but I'm really confused in regards to the DC trim. Perhaps it's b/c I don't know how to crochet, or just b/c I am still new at knitting. Anybody have a video? I'm getting confused b/c it says to poke the needle through a hole, and to yarn-overon that side, but my yarn is on the side where I started from. Does that make sense to anyone? Can you offer some help or clarity?

Eli&SkyesMom
10-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, I've got the poncho made, but I'm really confused in regards to the DC trim. Perhaps it's b/c I don't know how to crochet, or just b/c I am still new at knitting. Anybody have a video? I'm getting confused b/c it says to poke the needle through a hole, and to yarn-overon that side, but my yarn is on the side where I started from. Does that make sense to anyone? Can you offer some help or clarity?

Scratch that, I think I might have gotten it. So far so good anyways.:yay:

Stargirl
10-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Hi ladies,

This is my first post!!! :) Could someone please post the original instructions as that link is no longer functioning. I have the generally idea from the video and your posts. I am totally psyched as think this will be my first project!

Many thanks in advance for your help!

braakdl
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Great poncho -- LOVE the Hugh Laurie picture, though. (Yeah, I've got a crush on him, too!)

ignora
11-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Ok, so I've done my rectangles. I'm wondering what's the best way to join them since two different types of edges are involved. I'm good at knitting, but finishing is always my weak point...

Shandeh
11-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Here's a link for another pattern that is exactly the same. It has some photos that might help with the seaming and construction.

ignora
11-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks!

Edit: I remembered about this one (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kbcl-funFurTrimmedPoncho.html)too. I guess what I really want is for someone to come to my house and sew it for me! I really don't like seams... I'm never sure I'm doing it right.

Shandeh
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm sure your precious little one won't mind if it isn't perfect. :wink:

The only way to get better at seaming is to do it over and over again.

I take time with my seams, because I also take time with my knitting.

daisymae
12-30-2007, 10:49 PM
WHAT SIZE IS THIS PONCHO? DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PONCHO PATTERNS FOR A FOUR YEAR OLD?
THANKS,
daisy

Shandeh
12-31-2007, 07:17 AM
I am a new knitther and would like to make the baby size of this poncho. The links to the original baby size don't seem to be working. Can someone please direct me to the baby size? Thank you.
This is my first post!!! :) Could someone please post the original instructions as that link is no longer functioning.
Here's a link for another pattern that is exactly the same. It has some photos that might help with the seaming and construction.
Ok, so I've done my rectangles. I'm wondering what's the best way to join them since two different types of edges are involved. I'm good at knitting, but finishing is always my weak point...

WHAT SIZE IS THIS PONCHO? DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER PONCHO PATTERNS FOR A FOUR YEAR OLD?
The link I posted above has directions for different sizes.
If I were you, I would measure from the edge of her neck to the edge of her wrist, and you'll know how wide each rectangle should be. Do a gauge swatch and figure out how many stitches per inch you knit, then cast on the number you need.

revisitingknitting
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi Chroniclesofyarnia! Thanks so much for your post.
i have a toddler of 18 months. Will this fit her? i just did CO 32 stitches and it felt sooooo tiny? Is this pattern of 32 CO and 16 inches of knit rows only for the neck band?
Sorry for so many questions.
Hope to see a reply soon as i am so keen on doing this for my little one.
i am not using the lion brand could this be it?

yiziee
01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
wow this pancho is so cute and EASY i might be doing it not sure for now but if i do i'll do it's a bigger size 10x soo much

ignora
01-19-2008, 11:32 PM
I never came back and posted the picture of the finished poncho. I think it came out decently.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2116993043_275d7f7b1c.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/ignora/2116993043/in/set-72157603472345927)

Click on the photo to go to my flickr page. It's also on my Ravelry page for those of you there...

Shandeh
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice job! :thumbsup:

joan adis
03-06-2008, 04:29 PM
:woohoo: :yay: HELP PLEASE---What did i do wrong. i cast on 32, made it 16 inches long. used size 10 needle, but it looks so tiny and we keep trying to fold the L then the V and it is not working/ joan

Shandeh
03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
What kind of yarn did you use?

If it is a thin yarn, the poncho would turn out tiny.

Did you make TWO rectangles? You'll need two, to make the pattern work correctly.

Here is a link to another pattern, which is a lot like this one. It has instructions and photos that show how to put it together when you're ready to seam.

SBG
03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm new to knitting and trying to make this poncho. I'm halfway through my 2nd rectangle. I can't find a video anywhere about how to sew them together. I found the video with the mattress stitch, but that looks like it's for joining parallel sides, whereas this pattern joins an end to a side. Will it still work? If not, where can I find instructions, anyone know? Thanks :)
Laura

Debkcs
03-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi Laura, welcome to Knitting Help.

Is it a garter stitch that you are trying to join? Check this out, see if it helps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Knit-Invisible-Stitches-Grafting

SBG
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't see how anybody manages a fringe! My poncho came out nice but this fringe is about to drive me over the edge of sanity!!!!! Any tips for doing the DC fringe? I can't tell what the heck is going on w/ this stupid fringe-y yarn.

Shandeh
04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Here is the way I do fringe. I just found a simple video on YouTube that shows how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1QTJ3THvg

lovebugs5
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi there,
Can this poncho be made with a hood, also, can it be knitted with peruvian wool, i saw some that I really like on knitpicks.com, Also, I am new to knitting, have never done garter stitch, is it just straight knit? Thnaks,
Jody

Shandeh
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi there,
Can this poncho be made with a hood, also, can it be knitted with peruvian wool, i saw some that I really like on knitpicks.com, Also, I am new to knitting, have never done garter stitch, is it just straight knit? Thnaks,
Jody

This poncho pattern would not work if you need a hood attached. The neckline is not round, it's angled on the front and the back.

You would need to look for a hooded poncho pattern elsewhere. Here is a good website to look for free knitting patterns: www.knittingpatterncentral.com (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com)

And yes...garter stitch means to knit every stitch.

Peruvian wool is a lovely yarn, but I don't think that particular yarn would be washable. I could be wrong, though.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

MichelleC
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
So I am completely new to knitting, and before I start, I want to make sure I am on the right track. Do I bind the ends? Or do I leave them open when I am done?

Thanks!!

Shandeh
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Michelle! :waving:

Welcome to the forum. :hug:

Yes, you will need to bind off the ends of both rectangles before seaming them together.

loganberry
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
wow, this thread has been really helpful so far. I'm making my first thing other than a scarf... I think I'm doing it right, we'll see once my first rectablge is finished! I'm using Bernat Soft Boucle with 10.5 needles - I want to make this poncho for my neice, who is 4. I've cast on 45, thinking she's bigger than a toddler... It may be too big, but i have yet to get to a stage where i can guage...

Teri

Shandeh
07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Good luck, loganberry! :thumbsup:

kungpowchickin
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm going to be finishing this poncho tonight after the kids are asleep (my only time of peace and quiet, and I'm sure many of you guys can relate!). All that remains is to add fringe to the back side. I don't know how to crochet, as the pattern suggests, so I'm making little tassels instead. The whole thing is turning out so great, and I'm so pleased because this was my first knitting project ever. I tried the almost-finished poncho on my daughter just now, and it fits! Woohoo! And she actually likes it, which is perhaps the biggest thrill of all!

Thanks for a great idea, Chronicles of Yarnia. I'm going to make a cute little hat to match next.

knitwitkat
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Could you tell me what the exact name of the boa color? I've finished the poncho but am having trouble finding the boa to match.

Thanks!

loganberry
09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
well I've made two so far! One for an 8 year old (the blue one) and one for a 5 year old (the multi). Here they are:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/loganberry_2007/IMAGE_753.jpg
:woot:

Shandeh
09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Yay! Nice work! :thumbsup:

busyknitmom
09-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I am new to knitting, so forgive me if this is one of those obvious questions. I have finished one rectangle and started on the other. Do you block the rectangles before joining them? I am using Plymouth Yarn Encore Chunky - it is 25 % wool, 75% acrylic (wanted something washable). Thanks.

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 01:58 AM
I don't think it's necessary to block them. I didn't block mine, and it turned out just fine.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/38/81042992_402e311323.jpg

busyknitmom
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you. Yours are beautiful - I am so excited as this is my first project beyond a scarf.

Shandeh
09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Lindsay! The only one I knit was the purple one in front. The other two were sewn together with "fleece" fabric.

cheley
09-30-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm liking the "quilt" in the background:thumbsup: Wedding Ring? Did ya make it?

Shandeh
09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks cheley! I love that quilt too. I wish I knew how to make things like that, but I've never even tried quilting before.

I got this wedding ring quilt on eBay for 20 bucks about 6 years ago. I keep it on our bed all the time. :heart:

cheley
10-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks cheley! I love that quilt too. I wish I knew how to make things like that, but I've never even tried quilting before.

I got this wedding ring quilt on eBay for 20 bucks about 6 years ago. I keep it on our bed all the time. :heart: Wow 20 bucks:chair: quilting is my "first love" and I was taught by one of the best!!! Maybe I'll post some of my beauties:hug:

Simply_Renee
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
To DC the fringe...grab yourself a size I crochet hook and make a loop and stick it on the hook. Then do the following:

- yarn over (just like you would in knitting)
- poke the hook through a hole somewhere
- grab the yarn on the other side with the hook
- pull that yarn through (you will have 3 loops on your hook now)
- YO (just like in knitting) and pull that loop that you just made through 2 of the loops on your hook. (it will leave you with 2 loops on the hook)
- YO , pull the loop you just made through the other 2. (you will have one left)

then just yarn over and poke it through another hole. Does that make sense? I'm willing to help if I can. Crochet is one of those things that once you see it done it's like "OH!". :lol:

If all crochet instructions were taught like this- I would crochet.
:wink:

Shandeh
10-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow 20 bucks:chair: quilting is my "first love" and I was taught by one of the best!!! Maybe I'll post some of my beauties:hug:
Please do! I've always wanted to learn to quilt. :pray:

Debkcs
10-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Sandy, quilting is to knitting what scrambling eggs is to a souffle. You can quilt!

There are thousand of resources on the 'net, and kits and stuff to start out with, if you want. There is nothing at all to it, especially as you can already sew. I made my first quilts entirely by hand, then machine stitched the tops, then rented time on the big machines that do the actual quilting for you. The only limitations are your imagination and the amount of time you have. Well, maybe space, too. A big problem right now.

I'm very partial to the wedding ring pattern, have one on my bed. My favorite quilt is a very old one made from pieces of the dresses of my husbands grandmother and her sisters. :heart:

Shandeh
10-02-2008, 05:25 AM
I really do want to learn to quilt one day. But, just like you mentioned, I don't have the space available right now.

Our little house is bursting at the seams. Maybe one day when my step-son moves out, we'll have more space. :wink:

strawberry
10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
This is what I have been looking for. The poncho is so cute and easy. My question is could I cast on about 90 sts for a size 6 or 8 child? Think that would work?
The ponchos below are beautiful.

Strawberry

Shandeh
10-19-2008, 10:14 PM
My question is could I cast on about 90 sts for a size 6 or 8 child? Think that would work?
Just measure the child from the edge of their neck to their wrist. This will tell you how wide the rectangles need to be. Then cast on how ever many stitches you need to make it that wide.

Good luck!

1knittychick
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
No Problem! :) I had alot of fun doing this, and Ms. Genevieve got tons of compliments at church yesterday.

Materials : Lion Brand Homespun (1 skein), Bernat Boa (1 skein), size I crochet hook, Size 10 needles

CO 32 stitches. Work in garter stitch (knit every row) until piece measures 16 inches. Join so that the piece looks like an L. Fold your L so that it looks like a V and join that side. [Video demo here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/misc/poncho-assembly.avi). ~Amy] There you have your poncho.

That's ok, I have a crush on him too! I want to be more like House.;) BTW, I love the poncho pattern.

strawberry
01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
ChronicalsOfYarnia has been kind enough write up her toddler poncho pattern. See her post below....

Thanks CoY!

Amy
Thank you so much for your help. Don't know what I would do without your suggestions.

strawberry
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Just measure the child from the edge of their neck to their wrist. This will tell you how wide the rectangles need to be. Then cast on how ever many stitches you need to make it that wide.

Good luck!
I just finished the poncho. Thank you so much turned out very nice.

Shandeh
01-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm so glad it worked! :cheering:

Shandeh
01-09-2009, 11:56 PM
By the way, did you ever get an answer to the question in your signature about Monk's cord?

If not, here's an online article with instructions on how to make
Monk's Cord (http://books.google.com/books?id=vB7Bs_kxSw0C&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq=knit+monk's+cord&source=web&ots=NrN71uOhzS&sig=2ElaJ1YwGtSHgOm6DaGolspZBQQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result). (<---click weblink)

strawberry
01-10-2009, 06:37 PM
As for the Monks cord, yes I have gotten a reply and tired to delete a long time ago but never went away.
Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Shandeh
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Do you know how to edit your signature?

Just click "Quick Links" at the top right of this screen, then click "Edit Signature". Then make changes, and then scroll down the page, and click "Save Signature".

sandillajoan
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Hello, I'm brand new to this site and I am loving it. This little kid's poncho is adorable and I'm making 2 my friends twin granddaughters. My ? is this: Could I make this for a baby 12-18 mos? Could I use baby yarn? If so, what size needles would you suggest, how many CO's, and how long? I'd love to make one for the youngest too! Thanks for help.

Shandeh
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello, I'm brand new to this site and I am loving it. This little kid's poncho is adorable and I'm making 2 my friends twin granddaughters. My ? is this: Could I make this for a baby 12-18 mos? Could I use baby yarn? If so, what size needles would you suggest, how many CO's, and how long? I'd love to make one for the youngest too! Thanks for help.
Welcome to the forum. :hug:

If you want to make this poncho for a baby, it would work best with thick yarn as the pattern suggests. You could just use a soft yarn to make it comfortable for the baby.

To make it the right size, just measure from the baby's neck to their wrist. This will tell you how wide your rectangles should be. Then cast on as many stitches as you'll need to make it that wide. (You'll be more successful if you do a gauge swatch first, to see how many stitches per inch you knit.)

DMN316
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Everyone...
My name is Denise and I am completely new to knitting.
I saw this poncho and am very excited to make it for my cousin's daughter.
I am in the process of knitting the two 16 inch pieces.
I saw the video on the technicality of putting the pieces together. That was very helpful. But since I am so new to this...can anyone tell me how to actually sew them together???? I can't find an instructional video for that part.
Thanks so much in advance everybody!

Shandeh
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
...can anyone tell me how to actually sew them together???? I can't find an instructional video for that part.
Welcome Denise! :)
I usually use whipstitch for simple projects like this. You'll see an illustration of it on this page:
http://www.theknittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm

Nuu
10-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Which cast-on method would you suggest for this?

Shandeh
10-08-2009, 04:05 AM
You can use ANY cast-on method you want. One of the edges will be seamed, so only one edge needs to look nice. Good luck!

curleecue28
10-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Hi there everyone. This is my first official post. I'm in transition of moving to another state and wanted to pop on here and look for a new project. I love the poncho one! Sooo I go to click on the video link and find there is noooooo video. :??

And so would it be possible for a mod. or admin. to look into that and try to have the webmaster re-post the video/link?

I LOOOOOOOOVE this website! It's so well organized and the videos are quite wonderful. I refer all my friends to this website, even knitting veterans. :yay:

Thanks for any and all replies!

Blessings,
CurleeCue

Shandeh
10-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Hello curleecue! :waving:
Welcome to our forum.

The video link is still working. Just scroll down the page that comes up and look for the photo of the poncho on the right side of the page. Then, click the button that says, "play video".
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

Ileene
02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I cannot find this pattern. Can anyone tell me how to make this poncho? I need one for a 4 month old and one for her 22 month old sister.

Shandeh
02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I cannot find this pattern. Can anyone tell me how to make this poncho? I need one for a 4 month old and one for her 22 month old sister.

You'll see the pattern on the first page of this discussion. Chronicles of Yarnia designed the pattern, and wrote out the pattern in her post in this discussion.

Just go to the first page of this topic, and scroll down a little bit with your mouse. You'll see it there.