PDA

View Full Version : I need HELP......Again :(

Beth
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm confused, again :oops:
I'm going to knit a basic throw and need help on reading this pattern.

THROW: Cast on 84 sts loosely. Work in garter st (= k every row) for 4 rows (= 2 garter st ridges).
Row 1 (RS): K 2 (= garter sts); k 80 sts; k 2 (= garter sts).
Row 2: K 2 (= garter sts); p 80 sts; k 2 (= garter sts). Rep Rows 1 and 2, keeping first 2 and last 2 sts in garter st and working center 80 sts in St st until throw meas 47" from beg, end on a WS row. Work in garter st for 4 rows (= 2 garter st ridges). Bind off loosely.

OK, I understand to cast on 84 sts. Isn't garter st the same as a knit st? and if so for knitting the first row it states to K 2, the it reads to K 80 then K 2, ok, what is the difference of just knitting 84? Am I making sense?

Thanks again to those who answer!
Beth♥ :cry: :cry:

ekgheiy
02-15-2005, 04:47 PM
I get it ... my type in red...

Hi everyone!
I'm confused, again :oops:
I'm going to knit a basic throw and need help on reading this pattern.

THROW: Cast on 84 sts loosely. Work in garter st (= k every row) for 4 rows (= 2 garter st ridges).
Row 1 (RS): K 2 (= garter sts); k 80 sts; k 2 (= garter sts).
Row 2: K 2 (= garter sts); p 80 sts; k 2 (= garter sts). Rep Rows 1 and 2, keeping first 2 and last 2 sts in garter st and working center 80 sts in St st until throw meas 47" from beg, end on a WS row. Work in garter st for 4 rows (= 2 garter st ridges). Bind off loosely.

OK, I understand to cast on 84 sts. Isn't garter st the same as a knit st?
Yep ... garter is the "pattern name" for knitting all rows.
and if so for knitting the first row it states to K 2, the it reads to K 80 then K 2, ok, what is the difference of just knitting 84? Am I making sense?
I think the reason the designer wrote it like that is to clearly mark which stitches will change with each row. So the "80" represents the sts you will purl on the next row, while the k2 at the beginning and end will remain constant throughout. It all means the same thing though. ;)
Thanks again to those who answer!
Beth♥ :cry: :cry:

Hope that helps...

Beth
02-15-2005, 04:50 PM
ekgheiy

You are always so GREAT!
Thank you so much for always being here to help!
Beth♥

ekgheiy
02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
ekgheiy

You are always so GREAT!
Thank you so much for always being here to help!
Beth♥

Aaww shucks :oops:

Happy to be of assistance! :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-15-2005, 08:28 PM
MAN! How do you get the little hearts! I want hearts!!!!!

(sorry i'm not being helpful!)