PDA

View Full Version : Help with Baby Blanket re: double knitting

lotus_eater
02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I want to knit the following:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATThoover.html

But I am stuck on the CO, its says to CO 110 st. How do I cast on with this, do I cast on holding both yarns at the same time? And If I do do I count each created stitch as 2 or 1? Do I hold the yarns at the same time? I'm so lost, out of all the blankets I have seen I like this one the most.

They way I cast on is like the CO shown in Stitch n Bitch, so I don't know if that makes a difference. This is also the first time I am using circular needles so I think I am making it more complicated than it really is.

Thanks.

Jivewhistle
02-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Sorry I don't have any help for you as I'm a new knitter and all. But I just wanted to say I think this blanket is really cool, especially after reading the whole history behind it. Maybe I will make this my first circular needle project too, whenever I get some...LOL. Good luck on the blanket :)

Yvonne
02-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Lotus, that looks like a great blankie!
I've read the instructions. When you cast on, it is with the main color only. This makes sense if you look at the photo, as the border is only one color. You then work the preparation row still in the border color, doubling the number of stitches on that row. From there, you can continue on in one color only if you want to, or if you are using two colors, the row after the preparation row is where color two is brought into the project. Read down to Variation #2 and that's where it discusses this part.
Don't give up, that will be a warm squishy blanket.

lotus_eater
02-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Thank you thank you thank you.

That so much sense now. I really think I was making it more difficult than it was. I'm making variation 2 for my son and want to get it just right.

Thanks again.