PDA

View Full Version : Simple Child's Pullover

ekgheiy
02-17-2005, 01:14 PM
I recently discovered that I have a godsister (long story ;)). Anywhoo, my mother wants to get something special for her. I thought that since I don't knit anything for anyone for free (no, no) :|, it would be "special" to knit a sweater for her ... ... ... for free! :lol:

Sooooo .... :oops: would anyone care to join me? I'm making a simple pullover (I'm short on time ;)) and I'm only on row 3 of stockinette. It's a Lionbrand Pullover (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-blocksAndStripesPullover.html).

Hope you can join :) If not, I'll try to remember to post updates anyway.

Holly
02-18-2005, 11:39 AM
what a cute pullover! What colors are you using?
Holly

ekgheiy
02-18-2005, 12:41 PM
what a cute pullover! What colors are you using?
Holly

The store didn't have the Fushia or Banana, so I subbed w/ white and red. I'm putting the white w/ purple and the red w/ teal. It works out pretty well :)

PROGRESS UPDATE:

11.5" of the back done are done! Who-hoo! :D

ekgheiy
02-18-2005, 04:51 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

14.25" of the back completed!! Almost at the neck shaping. Whoo-Ha!! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
yikes you are a super-knitter! post a pic so we can see

ekgheiy
02-18-2005, 05:52 PM
yikes you are a super-knitter! post a pic so we can see

Aaaww shucks :oops: Thank you...

Unfortuanately, I don't have a digicam. :cry: :cry:

One of these days, I'll get one ... when they come down in price! ;)

beldaraan
02-18-2005, 07:21 PM
How about a scanner? You can easily take pics with a regular camera, get prints, and then scan them into your comp... I've done that many times.

ekgheiy
02-18-2005, 11:21 PM
How about a scanner? You can easily take pics with a regular camera, get prints, and then scan them into your comp... I've done that many times.

I don't have a scanner either :oops: Don't laugh... my idea of a high tech computer accessory is a cheapo microphone :lol:

Hey, maybe I can take the actual finished sweater to Ritz. You think they'll take a couple pics of it for me? Just a thought ... *sigh*

ekgheiy
02-18-2005, 11:23 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

The back is completed!!
Now working on the front; I have about 5" done already!

....he ... he ... he ... :twisted: I'm a mean knitting machine! :lol:

ekgheiy
02-21-2005, 10:59 AM
PROGRESS UPDATE

GO ME!! --- GO ME!!
I have 13..25" of the front completed!!! Yippy!
8)

beldaraan
02-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Ek!! You're a riot :lol:

Great work!

ekgheiy
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Ek!! You're a riot :lol:

Great work!

Well, I do what I can ;) *giggle*

ekgheiy
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

Whew!! So I'm at the neck of the front now!!!

..:arrow:*ekgheiy does a cartwheel into a few back flips* ;)

BUT :cry: I'm stuck (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617)...

ekgheiy
02-21-2005, 05:33 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

I am officially UNstuck!! (I decided to dec on the purl row) 8) and the front is completed! Whooo-Raaaa!!!!

Onward to cast on the sleeves. I will make these sleeves one at a time because I only have one ball of yarn; I don't feel like winding into two separate balls. Call me lazy :oops:

Sleeve #1 ... HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAaaay!! :lol:

yellowness
02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Tee hee! Your progress is thrilling, even without pictures.

Don't forget that many stores have a scanning station in their photo station, where you can make digital copies of your pictures. Also, many stores will give you a CD of your pictures along with your prints for a little extra $$. We've got to see the finished project!

ekgheiy
02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Tee hee! Your progress is thrilling, even without pictures.

Don't forget that many stores have a scanning station in their photo station, where you can make digital copies of your pictures. Also, many stores will give you a CD of your pictures along with your prints for a little extra $$. We've got to see the finished project!

I hear ya! ;)
I'd rather save that money toward buying my own cam :D ... but until then, I'll do my best to get a pic of the finished project for you guys!

ekgheiy
02-22-2005, 12:21 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

OH ME OH MY ... OH ME OH MY ...

Sleeve #1 is 4, count them ... 4 inches long ...

Can you hear the click...click...of my needles ... ?

:lol:

YEEEeeeHaaaW!

ekgheiy
02-22-2005, 06:32 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE
ekgheiy bounces about the room singing ...

Chorus:
La la, la la, la la, la la ...

Verse:
I've .... got se'ven stripes ... red and turquoise, red and turquoise ...
I've .... got se'ven stripes ... and they ... are one inch each....

(Chorus)

Sing with me!!

I've .... got se'ven stripes ... red and turquoise, red and turquoise ...
I've .... got se'ven stripes ... and they ... are one inch each....

*giggle* :lol:

Jouf
02-23-2005, 01:13 AM
I feeeel your joy!

Jouf

ekgheiy
02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

YaaaHoooo!!
Sleeve #1 is done ...
Sleave #2 ... HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY ... SAVE THE DAY ...
8)

MaggieL
02-23-2005, 07:08 PM
ekgheiy, LOL

Ya'll are too funny.

oshnpashn
02-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Sheesh, you sure do zoom!!! Glad you're unstuck. Love reading your updates!

ekgheiy
02-24-2005, 03:16 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

Yaba-daba-DOOOoooo!!!
Sleeve # ...Twoooo is almost done!!
I've got 52 sts and I have to increase up to 60sts ... I'm getting there!!!

*ekgheiy peddles her knitting cart a'la Flinstones* peddle, peddle, peddle ...

Thank you for reading my updates!!!

ekgheiy
02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

Sweet Tapestry Needle,

The time has come for me to express my passion for you. It has been three full days since I last spent time with you, three full days since I last fixed my eyes upon you, three full days since I last felt your sleek, aluminum curves and lines betwixt my fingers. Oh how I need you now, a hobby-less cretin simply cannot understand.

Think, My Sweet Tapestry Needle, of the wonderful seams we could make. It pains me that we do not spend great quantities of time together, but the quality is infinitely of more importance. Think of the overs and unders, the loops and crosses, and such smooth lines we could create if only you will be mine once again. Soon, so soon, we must spend quality time together, creating flowing seams now that the left sleeve and right sleeve, the front and back are all ready to be one.

Come, Sweet Needle of mine, let us make beautiful history!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In other words ...
THE SLEEVES ARE DONE!!!
ONWARD TO SEAMING!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

amy
02-25-2005, 05:40 PM
ekgheiy, you're a riot.

Congrats on almost finishing it! I sure hope we get to see a pic in the end! :)
Amy

ekgheiy
02-27-2005, 08:14 PM
PROGRESS UPDATE

TADA!!!!!

Go Me ...

Go Me ...

It's my birt'day!!

Well ... actually ... it's THE SWEATER'S BIRTHDAY!! I'm all done and it's just too cute ... IMHO :oops: ;)

ekgheiy bounces and flips to and fro

I'll see what I can do about a pic!! TBA ...

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Drumroll please.....

:arrow:

:arrow:

*1/17/06 - images resized

beldaraan
03-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Excellent work Ekgheiy!!! Thankies for posting pics. I'm a very visual person. Telling me the colours just doesn't work like showing it to me. What's your next project?

javede
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Wow! It looks greate! I like your color choice much better than that on the website.
Now I really decided to do this one myself. Did you change the neck part?

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Excellent work Ekgheiy!!! Thankies for posting pics. I'm a very visual person. Telling me the colours just doesn't work like showing it to me. What's your next project?

Thanks Beld!! :oops:
I can't put anything new on my needles; too broke :cry:
But I am still working on the Baby Blocks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/temp_156.jpg) baby blanket from this (http://www.bowsinbloom.com/acart/picserve.cgi?picserve=/0184.jpg) book.

I have enough Caron Simply soft from my Kyoto sweater to make another baby blanket in this (http://www.bowsinbloom.com/acart/picserve.cgi?picserve=/0184.jpg) book, but it's a dark green. This (http://www.caron.com/images/yarn_images/simply_soft/ss_colors/ss2683.jpg) dark green. Some people have told me that it's too dark for a baby blanket though ... :cry: Why do baby blanket have to be pastelly light. :x What do you think?? :?

I'm also working on this (http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/ProductImages/mfgs/leisurearts/la3137-1.jpg) (#9; top row, right pic) afghan from The Big Book of Quick Knit Afghans (http://www.leisurearts.com/images/products/3137_e.jpg). I once started on a sampler afghan last year, but grew tire and aggravated with it; so I'm using the yarn from that project to make the Quick Knit afghan.

So I'll be communing with The Stash until finances look better ... *sigh*

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Wow! It looks greate! I like your color choice much better than that on the website.
Now I really decided to do this one myself. Did you change the neck part?

Thank you Javede!!! :oops:

I didn't change the neck (other than the color). I do wish that I had short enough circular needles to do it in the round though; I think it would have been easier in the round ... ;)

beldaraan
03-01-2005, 04:42 PM
...people have told me that it's too dark for a baby blanket though ... Why do baby blanket have to be pastelly light. What do you think??

I say hogwash to babies being only limited to pastels. Why are all of their toys bold and bright? I believe I remember reading that black and white are the optimal colours to present to newborns (for toys anyway) because their vision isn't matured yet.

When hubby and I discovered how much our son LOVES fleece, we couldn't find any blankets that we liked. We ended up going to a fabric store and buying our own fleece material for blankets. It was cheaper too. If you're crafty, then you can sew a nice stitch pattern around the edges, take it to one of those sewing companies that can put on pictures, or do your own embroidery.

In terms of knitting with a dark colour in general, I can only think that darker colours don't always show off the stitch pattern very well. Other advice to offer is assessing what type of parents will be receiving the blanket. I am one to go for darker stuff (and bright). Or, anything not very pastel. Other parents are more for the pastels.

If they're for the dark green, then make it in dark green. And show pics. :)

amy
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Looks great ekgheiy!

:)
Amy

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 05:32 PM
...people have told me that it's too dark for a baby blanket though ... Why do baby blanket have to be pastelly light. What do you think??

I say hogwash to babies being only limited to pastels. Why are all of their toys bold and bright? I believe I remember reading that black and white are the optimal colours to present to newborns (for toys anyway) because their vision isn't matured yet.

When hubby and I discovered how much our son LOVES fleece, we couldn't find any blankets that we liked. We ended up going to a fabric store and buying our own fleece material for blankets. It was cheaper too. If you're crafty, then you can sew a nice stitch pattern around the edges, take it to one of those sewing companies that can put on pictures, or do your own embroidery.

In terms of knitting with a dark colour in general, I can only think that darker colours don't always show off the stitch pattern very well. Other advice to offer is assessing what type of parents will be receiving the blanket. I am one to go for darker stuff (and bright). Or, anything not very pastel. Other parents are more for the pastels.

If they're for the dark green, then make it in dark green. And show pics. :)

I'm not making a blanket for anyone in particular. I need to supp the income :oops:, but apparently many think I charge too much. (I made a 900 yard blanket that I calculate at 10c p/yard. Yes, I'm asking $90 for it. I put roughly 15 hours of work into it, I think $6 an hour is fair to pay for a handmade blanket! I am seemingly alone in that school of thought.) Anyhoo... my brother suggested that I make a bunch of baby blankets and rent a booth to sell them at local craft fairs; he thinks I'll get a better response that way. There's a center that hosts those types of events frequently down the street from me. I fear the price of booth rentals and I'm sure that one blanket sale won't cut it ... :?

I tried selling to a consignment shop nearby, but I just about slapped that lady across her snub face when she said she "couldn't" buy it for more than $50. Uh-huh, you mean $3.57 per hour? That's when she started quoting store policy blah blah blah ... I quickly left. I also made cards to hand out whenever people ask me questions when I knit in public. No one has called or emailed :cry: *sigh*

I'm blabbing now eh? :oops: Long story short ... I'm trying to increase inventory to try this booth rental thing. :lol:

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Looks great ekgheiy!

:)
Amy

Why thank you deary! :)

amy
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I honestly don't know HOW anyone can make any money on selling hand-knit garments in the western world. Yarn is expensive, and people are used to paying third-world labor rates, and factory production rates.

I'm no expert in any way on this subject, because I haven't tried to sell anything since 6th grade (burnt myself out fast, charging pennies per hour for my work). But if I were to attempt it today, I'd go for small items (small means less yarn cost, and faster knitting). I'd probably only knit things that are very unique, or hard to find. Like arm-band holders for cell-phones and i-pods, or clothes edged with unusual novelty yarn (just edged, unless you get a great price on the yarn, and can afford to do a whole piece in it).

Another good thing to sell is pattern designs. You just make them once, and take a pretty picture. Then you can sell the item, and the pattern. And the pattern can be sold over and over, at no extra cost, if you sell it in PDF form! ...You're welcome to sell your own patterns in the Buy/Sell/Swap forum.

Good luck! I hope you can make some money doing this wonderful thing that you love!
Amy

ekgheiy
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
I honestly don't know HOW anyone can make any money on selling hand-knit garments in the western world. Yarn is expensive, and people are used to paying third-world labor rates, and factory production rates.

So unfortunately true. :roll: I used to sell to a lady that worked with me, but she quit (and now runs her own business! :D). Every now and then, I'll see her and she's always been open to buy more, but I see her so infrequently now that she's got her own business.

Patterns eh? Hmm....

ks
03-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I am thinking of making this pullover for my baby, and would like to see the picture of the one you made... does anyone know why I am not seeing it on my computer?

ekgheiy
03-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I am thinking of making this pullover for my baby, and would like to see the picture of the one you made... does anyone know why I am not seeing it on my computer?

Hmm... :??

Are you sure you're looking at the correct page? A pic is posted on Page 2 of the topic.

Or how about this ... do these links work for you??

Here is the Front (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/sweater.jpg)
Here is the Back (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/sweater2jpg.jpg)

Hope that helps...

samm
02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd love to see yours completed. I'm planning to make this one for one of my grandboysorgirl. Yeah. One girl. We have four sons, five grandsons and Amelie. Makes for a lot of rough and tough sweaters. I love this little pattern. What yarn are you using? :XX: samm

ekgheiy
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd love to see yours completed. I'm planning to make this one for one of my grandboysorgirl. Yeah. One girl. We have four sons, five grandsons and Amelie. Makes for a lot of rough and tough sweaters. I love this little pattern. What yarn are you using? :XX: samm Interesting. :thinking: I had pictures posted, but I don't know where they went. :( I'll take more when I get some time. I used Lionbrand Lion Cotton.

ekgheiy
02-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey Samm, the pics are still on page 2.

samm
02-22-2006, 01:47 PM
I found them! I love it! And thanks for letting me know about the yarn. Can't wait to get to Emile's sweater! But I have to finish Will's and then it's Luca's birthday next, then Amelie and Emile, a week apart. Oskar I can wait for cause he's not until September. I DID decide to make each of the smallones a sweater for birthdays. Yikes. What was I thinking!? I hope to finish the back of William's today. Then on to the front. samm :O)