PDA

View Full Version : DPN sock question

onestarrynight
02-18-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm a newbie knitter working on my third pair of socks. The two I've already made were done in a k1p1 rib on 3 dpn needles. I had to cast on 24 stitches, which I divided onto the 3 needles. I'm now making a pair for my 3 year old and I'm using a different pattern which calls for me to cast on 32 stitches and work in a k2p2 rib. What I'm confused about is that 32 is not divided by 3. How does this work with the ribbing? Do I just k2p2 even if the stitches wind up being seperated onto a new needle. Or do I start a fresh k2p2 row on every needle even if the last needle ended with only 1 knit stitch? I have 2 needles with 11 stitches cast on, and one with 10. (I assume I got that part right.) Help!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2005, 08:27 PM
hi! You could cast on using 4 needles... But if the directions say to use 3, then I don't know what to tell you... I avoid DPNs and math at all costs, so I'm probablly the wrong person to answer your question :oops:

beldaraan
02-18-2005, 09:16 PM
From what I've seen about socks, each needle does not have to have the same number of stitches. I would do one of two methods:

11-10-11 stitches for needles 1-2-3 respectively

or

10-12-10 stitches for needles 1-2-3 respectively.

I haven't made any socks yet, but I've read lots about it. Lets hope an alpha sock knitter comes along.

Lisa
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I have knit a few pairs of socks. You casted on right! Just keep knitting all the way around the 3 needles... K2 P2. Pretend the 3 needles are 1 circle. You don't need to start each needle like it was a new needle with a K2 P2. I hope I explained that clear enough. I'm no expert, and I feel funny about giving advice, but, I think you're on the right track!

onestarrynight
02-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Thank you everyone! I already knit a few rows starting a fresh k2p2 at the beginning of each needle, so I'll just rip it. I had a feeling it was wrong as I was doing it, since I couldn't imagine how the ribbing would line up. Whew! I'm glad I posted this question. :D