PDA

View Full Version : Another Lys Adventure

brightspot
02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
I went into a lys this week to buy my denise needles. (We got our income tax check) It is the only time I have ever looked at the yarn there. I am a sahm who usually has no money for yarn. I usually use stuff I have been given or go to walmart. My daughter started showing me some cool yarn ($4.95 for a very small skein). The lady couldn't understand why I wouldn't snap it up. (I can make dinner for 5 for 2 nights for that). When I told her that I usually used red heart she had a fit. She told me that it was terrible yarn and it would fall apart. I told her that I had to have something that would go thru the dryer since either I or hubby would forget and throw it into the dryer. She said that everything would shrink & look terrible after being in the dryer. Later I thought that I should have told her that I have afghans that I made almost 20 years ago that get washed & dried on a regular basis that still looks new. The sad thing is that that is the only LYS that I can find within 60 miles.

PS. Some of the yarn was $9. I didn't even know that yarn could cost that much. Am I that out of it?

ChroniclesofYarnia
02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
You are not out of it. I am a sahm and am set for 6mos of yarn thanks to our tax return and JoAnn's/Michaels coupons. I go into my LYS to hang out and knit, and look at the recommended yarns in patterns and see what I can sub for it. Red Heart is not evil. :lol: Sometimes I don't go to the LYS for a while cause I see people just buying thousands of $'s of yarn, and I feel a little less than. :?

Put short, I understand. :) I was excited to be able to buy Lamb's Pride ( the cheapest yarn at my LYS).

amy
02-21-2005, 01:22 AM
I've made lots of projects out of el-cheapo acrylic. I don't know what she's talking about, about it "falling apart!" That's rediculous! I've had a hard time with very slippery acrylic yarn coming unraveled, but that was with crochet, and I don't know how to secure yarn in crochet work, so I may have just been doing it wrong. Certainly it will never break apart on you. I can't imagine what she was thinking!

It's nice in that it's washable, for sure.

If you're on a budget, you should check out the selection of yarns of all types at Smileys (http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm), and at www.knitpicks.com if you haven't already.

Don't let those snobs get you down! I love my natural fibers above all, but acrylic definitely has it's place--bright colors, washable, affordable.... I've knit many a baby item out of it, and wouldn't redo them in wool even now that I can afford to. My sister has two kids, and I've only knit one wool thing for them so far, because I know she likes machine washable stuff. (Hmmm, I wonder if knitpicks has machine washable wool? Their stuff is so affordable, it's worth looking for!) I like the softer acrylics generally, but the cheapest stuff makes for fun, colorful afghans, and probably lots of things I haven't thought of.

Happy knitting!
Amy

brightspot
02-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Can you imagine having the money to spend that much on a hobby. I have been very fortunate with people around me giving me bags of yarn. I only buy it if I am making something specifically asked for, like when my son asked for a gray & red striped hat. (Both colors that I was out of.)

brightspot
02-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I love smiley. I bookmarked it to show my daughter tomorrow. She wants a hat out of fancy yarn like maybe fur. I am sure I can find something affordable. Thank you very much.

ChroniclesofYarnia
02-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Do you know about freecycle.org? I've gotten some good yarn (even some great acrylic :O ) from there, and met some really nice people. :)

brightspot
02-21-2005, 01:47 AM
I signed up a while ago, but I have changed my email so I probably need to fix it. I always forget about it. I need to bookmark it so I can find it easily. Thanks for the idea.

carollovesyarn
02-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the Smiley link! Tho I can see by the large flat fee shipping, it would be good to plan on ordering a large amount at once or going in with a few people... I love new places to buy from!

javede
02-21-2005, 05:58 AM
No, your definately not out of it! Being a univesity student, I mostly can't afford expensive yarns too. Actually I'm going to apply for a job today to support my crafting (and of course my studies-computer stuff and books are quite expensive too :? ).
Anyway, I always look for sales or go to fleamarkets(can't wait for spring when fleamarket-time starts around here!). I have used a lot of acrylic yarn sofar and had no problems at all. Though I mostly like to go to the Lys(yes, there are a bunch here-lucky me :D ), it's just for looking. I seldomely buy anything there. I did get an odd look at one of them when I told them the hat I was wearing was made out of Acrylic yarn. I never went back to that one...
Just don't let those snobs bother you, they are the ones missing something out!

amy
02-21-2005, 11:16 AM
YarnMommy, what a great idea to get yarn through FreeCycle! That never occured to me, I've only been a member for a couple weeks.

I should mention that if you go to knitpicks, it's their own brand yarn that you really want to check out (cheap!!!) -- click here (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_list.aspx?categories='542'&searchType=Category&titleName=KnitPicks).

Amy