PDA

View Full Version : FYI: BBW w/PMS is POed!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Okay, I *know* I am not the only voluptuous woman knitter in the world. I am frustrated to all ENDS at finding only skinny-mini patterns :x ... yes I've learned to adapt the patterns per se (some with disastrous results, some turned out okay), but isn't there a resource somewhere for larger size non-grandma, non-hideous, non-mumu looking garments???? I found one sweater pamphlet thingy for plus-size sweaters, but most seemed less than "hip to knit" IYKWIM. I do have The Sweater Workshop (based on EZ's seamless sweater technique), but hello! maybe I want to make something that's not a freaking sweater! Doing the math and making conversions takes too much time to be worth it in many cases (IMHO). Maybe it's the hormones talking, but I am feeling disenfranchised by the pattern people... maybe it's time to get off my (large) butt and start writing my own. :evil:

ekgheiy
02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Okay, I *know* I am not the only voluptuous woman knitter in the world. I am frustrated to all ENDS at finding only skinny-mini patterns :x ... yes I've learned to adapt the patterns per se (some with disastrous results, some turned out okay), but isn't there a resource somewhere for larger size non-grandma, non-hideous, non-mumu looking garments???? I found one sweater pamphlet thingy for plus-size sweaters, but most seemed less than "hip to knit" IYKWIM. I do have The Sweater Workshop (based on EZ's seamless sweater technique), but hello! maybe I want to make something that's not a freaking sweater! Doing the math and making conversions takes too much time to be worth it in many cases (IMHO). Maybe it's the hormones talking, but I am feeling disenfranchised by the pattern people... maybe it's time to get off my (large) butt and start writing my own. :evil:

I totally agree!!! I find that I am more PO'ed at the patterns in most of the magazines. They do have such pretty patterns in them, but they are hardly ever in my size. The thing that gets me is when the pattern says that a 36" bust is an extra large. WHAT???!??? :evil: Those bastards! By those standards, that would make me an XXXL ... Well excuse me for being well fed!! :roll:

Anyhoo ... I searched for these. I haven't actually checked them out, but that's okay, right? Have you see these??

Family Cirle Plus Size Knits (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931543585/qid%3D1109022411/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-4298948-3575165)
Knitting Designs for Real Women (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564774902/qid%3D1109022341/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-4298948-3575165)

Hope that helps a little :|

Anne
02-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Okay you 2. Your posts were not meant to be funny, however, when i read them i spit my coffee on the keyboard laughing.

I will do a search for you to see what i can find.

Anne
02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
www. lionbrand.com

www.berroco.com

Both have free patterns in plus sizes.

I hope you can find something at one of them.

beldaraan
02-21-2005, 07:20 PM
The thing that gets me is when the pattern says that a 36" bust is an extra large. WHAT???!???

Uh oh, if that's the case I'm in trouble. I made a recent visit to a professional bra shop and left with a changed outlook about the size of my bra....and my breasts.

Anyway, I happen to have some Rowan mags and their L-XL fits a 38-40 inch bust. (A 36 inch bust is a medium). They also have beautiful patterns that are not granny style. They also make more than sweaters. The mags are a bit pricey, but it should be worth it if it works for you. You can always go to a LYS to look through one if they have a mag.

yellowness
02-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I was poking around the www.knitty.com archives and they had all sorts of neat things for people of *all* sizes... And great pictures of models in *all* sizes too!

Peg
02-21-2005, 10:23 PM
yellowness took the words right out'a my fingers! :lol:

BBW w/PMS is POed!
Hildegard, if you think that's tough, just wait til you're BBW and menopausal! :shock: :roll: :lol:

Peg
02-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Hildegard, I was surfing the net and came across this site which you might find useful/helpful.
http://www.ample-knitters.com/index.html

Hildy55
02-22-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm also having problems with patterns that don't fit right..I'm a d cup, broad shoulders & a size 10 pants so it is hard to just get clothes to fit me
I tried the knitting from the top down & it has helped a lot:D
I do machine knit & it was hard trying to get it to fit me so I'll try hand knitting for now :D
I'm getting older so it is taking more time time to learn things plus the Hot flashes don't help:(
Hildy being patient in Vermont

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Hildegard, I was surfing the net and came across this site which you might find useful/helpful.
http://www.ample-knitters.com/index.html

Yes! thanks Peg, I found that one after posting last night. It's a great resource. I shoul dhave looked for that BEFORE venting my frustrations :roll: