PDA

View Full Version : Just one more dumb questions :)

Beth
02-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok, this is going to be a very stupid question, here goes;

What is the Wrong Side and the Right side of knitting?
I really do not know.... :oops:

Thank you all again, for your help
Beth♥

Peg
02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Beth, as I understand it, the rs is the side that people will see the ws,they won't.

knittergirl
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Also, sometimes the pattern will dictate what is considered the "right" (or public) side and the "wrong" side.

For example (I just made this up):

Cast on 10 stitches.
Row 1: (RS) K 2, P3, K3, P2
Row 2: (WS) P2, K3, P3, K2
ans so forth,

In this case, the first row knitted after the cast on and all the following odd numbered rows will be the "right" side rows. All even rows will be the "wrong" side.

But if the pattern said this:

Cast on 10 stitches.
Row 1: (WS) K 2, P3, K3, P2
Row 2: (RS) P2, K3, P3, K2
ans so forth,

Then the first row after the cast on will be the "wrong" side rows as well as all odd numbered rows, and the even number rows will be considered the "right" side.

And for some patterns, the right and wrong sides are indistinguishable (like garter stitch) and other times it depends on which side of the fabric you want to showcase (in stockinette-the knits on the right side and purls on the wrong side or reverse stockinette-the purls on the right side and the knits on the wrong side).

HTH,

Casey

Beth
02-25-2005, 12:44 PM
So Basically the RS would be the "front" of the pattern if there was one. I think I get it, Thanks a bunch!

Roxanne
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
You got it Beth! RS is the front and WS is the back....or RS is the side of the garment that shows when wearing and WS is the side of the garment that doesn't show when wearing.

And it's not a dumb question...if you don't ask, how are you supposed to know? LOL I know I was puzzled by the terminology and coding when I first started knitting. In fact, I still have no idea what some of it means...after a year's knitting.... :shock: