PDA

View Full Version : Sub for Noro Kureyon

oshnpashn
02-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Like I don't have enough WIPs now, but my sister's bday is coming up mid march and I'm thinking a Booga bag would be fun to make for her, plus she needs some color in her wardrobe!!! Anyway, in case I can't find or afford the Noro, what is a good substitution? And does anyone know of a "chart" of substitution yarns listed by type, weight etc.?
Thanks.
Kelly

amy
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
www.knitpicks.com lets you search for yarns they carry by gauge, and also by yarns that felt. Kureyon's normal gauge looks to be 4.5 sts/inch.

I don't know of any yarns off hand that compare to Kureyon's gorgeous color and variegation. If you don't mind using solid-color yarns, KnitPick's own "Wool of the Andes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_list.aspx?categories='542'&searchType=Category&titleName=KnitPicks)" yarn, which is only $1.79/skein (!), knits up at the 4.5 gauge, and should felt well. In fact, I just ordered a bunch of this yarn to make a felted knitting bag, based on the booga bag! I got my yarn in the mail this weekend, and it looks like great yarn! The colors shown on the site were quite accurate.

Hope that helps!
Amy

oshnpashn
02-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Thank you Amy.....guess where I'm headed!!