PDA

View Full Version : How do repeat on a row?

startz2000
03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
I used to knit 20 years ago or more and I am trying to start again. I started on a dishcloth. The instructions are cast on 4 stitches

ROW 1: Knit 4
ROW 2: Knit 2, yarn over, knit across row.
Repeat Row 2 until you have 44 stitches on the needle.

My question is how do repeat Row 2 if I only have 5 stitches on the needle? Seems to me this would be row 3.

Also how do I knit 2 together?

Beth
03-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I believe when you do a yarn over it adds a stitch to your knitting.
A lot of patterns call for yo's and in that row also tells you to knit together a stitch to keep from making the knitting bigger.
Hope that helps.
Beth♥

Holly
03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
A dishcloth with similar instructions was my first knitting project! When you yarn over (YO) you add a stitch. So....you will be adding a stitch every row until you have 44 stitches on your needle. The pattern I did had me increase (which is what the YO is) until I reached a certain number of stitches, and then decrease every row until I was back to 2 stitches. The result was a dishcloth in the shape of a diamond.

Good luck!

Holly

Nuno930
03-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Also how do I knit 2 together?

Amy has a video on it! :D
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php

Holly
03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I forgot to add that Amy's videos are excellent for seeing how increases and decreases should be worked. If you have slow internet service -- as I do :( -- you can order her CD (which I love!) and have the videos for quick access. Along with the site videos, my other most valuable resource is the original Stitch N Bitch book. She has excellent explanations and instructions that I have referred to many times -- especially about increasing and decreasing, and why you would use certain increases and decreases.

Holly