PDA

View Full Version : help knitting a diamond shape

knittingnanna
03-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I am trying to knit a diamond shape and I can't figure it out for the life of me. I need it done in stocking stich and to start with 1 stitch and to increase 2 stiches on every row till there are 13 stitches then I have to decrease 2 stitches every row until 1 stitch remains. I know it sounds simple but it just won't work for me, I can't find a increase that does not make holes in the work. I am getting so frustrated because I have tried and tried again with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KellyK
03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Amy has a FABULOUS illustration of different increases here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php

The similar decrease page is justy one more click away.

You can see what each inc/dec should look like and you can pick an "un-holey" one. :wink:

Holly
03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
If I recall, I think knitting into the front and back of the stitch is one increase that doesn't leave a hole in the work. I believe Amy has a video of this technique -- you start to knit as usual, and then, without completing the stitch by dropping it off the needle, you re-insert your needle into the back of the stitch and knit as usual (dropping the stitch off). The result is two loops created (the increase!).

The Stitch N Bitch book has a chapter on increasing and decreasing which gives good explanations of all the types and when you would use certain types.

Holly