PDA

View Full Version : Martha's Poncho?

fitcook
03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Did anyone get a good look at that great-looking poncho Martha Stewart was wearing when she got "sprung"? It was in shades of black and grey (I think) and looked like it had a really neat edging on it. It was sophisticated enough that it looked good on a 60+ woman. I like ponchos on young girls, but don't feel that I would wear one myself, epecially with fringe or a fluffy edge. Anyone have any good poncho pattern ideas for a "mature" woman?

Anne
03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Sorry i don't have a pattern for one, however, i thought Martha's was beautiful. From what i read on her site an inmate made it for her.

Also the pattern is going to be posted in the future on her site if anyone is interested!

happenin
03-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Thank you Fitcook for mentioning it! I was going to but was afraid to start controversy.

Anne, thank you too for the helpful info. I haven't visited Martha's site since she was "sprung".

I was wondering if maybe this was what she had been referring to when it was disclosed she'd mentioned to someone that she was doing some crochet in "the joint". Martha referred to her crochet skills more or less as: "very basic." I was thinking perhaps that poncho was crocheted. Talk about complex detail!

I thought it looked great on her. The color was perfect for a mature woman too. I was amazed that the back part didn't get scrunched up from sitting on it. I wonder if she didn't throw that on just as she was exiting the truck? :thinking:

I learned to knit because of Martha. I started crochet as an offshoot from that. I've never worn a poncho in my entire life (close though, with capes), but loved the one she was wearing.

If anyone learns of that pattern, I'd appreciate knowing about it! I suppose a lot of other people would too.

Anne
03-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Dressed in a fashionable black suit, Stewart held up the gray and white poncho she wore when she left prison on Friday. She said it did not come from a fancy store — but was crocheted by a fellow inmate.

“The night before I left she handed me this ... and said, ‘Wear it in good health,”’ Stewart said. “I hope she is reading the news and looking at television because I’m so proud of her.”

I hope Martha will be able to post the pattern on her site. I will keep checking.

Anne
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
I was watching the 5 O'Clock news today. Martha was showing her poncho. She held it up saying she will try to get the pattern from the inmate that made it. :thumbsup:

She also told the Media she has received many emails requesting the pattern.

Catherine
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I was pleased to see Martha wearing a poncho because I love them and don't want them to disappear after just one season. Two I have made that I think are nice for those of us who are old enough to remember the last time they were so popular: The Cabled Poncho in the holiday 2004 Vogue knitting - I made it on circular needles, I hate to seam; and the capelet poncho from Morehouse Farms - its also knit in the round and very simple. I think a simple pattern made with quality yarn is elegant.

happenin
03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
She also told the Media she has received many emails requesting the pattern.
Ooooh, I have soooo little doubt they're being besieged! There's at least 2 people interested in my own family...let alone the rest of the world!!!

I was pleased to see Martha wearing a poncho because I love them and don't want them to disappear after just one season. Two I have made that I think are nice for those of us who are old enough to remember the last time they were so popular: The Cabled Poncho in the holiday 2004 Vogue knitting - I made it on circular needles, I hate to seam; and the capelet poncho from Morehouse Farms - its also knit in the round and very simple. I think a simple pattern made with quality yarn is elegant.
I was surprised to see her in a poncho on such a cold night. I remember those gawwwwd awful color combo's the old poncho styles were in :doh: and I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those. I agree, the right yarn, color and pattern makes all the difference. You can either look like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter....or you can look like Martha springin' Camp Cupcake. :happydance:

fitcook
03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I saw the news later that day, and indeed, there was the infamous poncho! I have always been a bit neutral on Martha myself, but I will keep track of her now to get that pattern ;)

Whoever finds out about the pattern, please post details. Thanks, all!

VictoiseC
03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Martha's poncho is the hot topic on a couple of other forums, one of which has some heavy artillery going from women who can't stand her. It turned political very fast... geez. Nice to see that didn't happen here, it's about the poncho after all! (tkga website)i
Then I stumbled into a website I was never in and they were really on the trail... as I was searching for a picture of it my husband burst in the door and said it was on tv. what a gas

Wouldn't it be nice if the woman who made it got to sell the pattern, or something... some thanks. Well, this is the first poncho I've wanted to make. It's elegant, not too thick not too thin... and I love the pretty bottom scallops. I'm going to make it in blue & white though which is what I thought it was.

I think it will be on her website soon but I'll bet somebody can figure out how to make on their own.

fitcook
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh my goodness. I am glad you are all so nice. I had no idea that the topic could have been a hotbed of dissension. I agree, that all seems so silly. It IS just about the poncho.

Does anyone have a link for a picture of it? I must honestly say that all I saw was a quick look as she was going up the steps to her airplane; I really only remember that the proportions were good and the scalloped edges were pretty.

fitcook
03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
OK. I did a little sleuthing and found a photo of the poncho and some articles about its popularity. It seems that it is crocheted, not knit, as first reported. Also, some are guessing it is out of Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I found a seller on E-Bay who is taking bids on a pattern, but if you visit the Lion Brand website (www.lionbrand.com) it is the feature item called the "Welcome Home Poncho." They are working on a pattern for it and will post it on their website by next week.

Too funny, all this hullabaloo. Unfortunately, I have lost interest in making it now because I am afraid I am going to see myself coming and going! :lol:

happenin
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Too funny, all this hullabaloo. Unfortunately, I have lost interest in making it now because I am afraid I am going to see myself coming and going!
Not if you individualize it you won't!

Thanks for the update fitcook. AwwwwOOOOOOhhhhh My Gaaaaawd.....Lion Brand Homespun ey? I'd have never guessed that yarn and texture.

I thought I heard on the news she's not allowed to have contact with felons for a while. I suppose that's likely the case with the talented lady who so graciously gave her that poncho....so I'd imagine contacting her for the pattern would technically be in violation? I just hope credit is given where credit is due.

Looks like Martha's already swingin' new deals with Lion Brand though! If they're the creater of the yarn used in the pattern....kudo's to them....they SHOULD be proud enough to proclaim it. Perhaps they're in contact with this gracious lady at Camp Cupcake.

(Pardon the shameless plug here)
I've worked with the stuff recently and made a fantastic hat for my mother out of that and Fun Fur. Thankfully, I kept notes and wrote down detailed instructions right after I finished it up. I believe there's also a new technique to be used for this pattern (describing & illustrating it will be the biggest challenge).

I'll be looking for volunteers to try out a "Beta" version of the pattern, as a quality control measure in order to create a pattern with none of this stuff: :frog:
so it's as useable and easy to follow for everyone! :XY: :XX: :X:
So please keep an eye out for a future post on this in the near future. I'd say it might pair well with the poncho too? I'll let you all decide later. :)

FYI, according to Lion Brand's site, it's the most requested pattern "ever"...looks like they're doing up the pattern right now as we type...errr, knit!

foldedbird
03-08-2005, 10:36 PM
You can either look like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter....or you can look like Martha springin' Camp Cupcake. :happydance:

I kind of liked Clints poncho!

I didn't like Martha's at all, and suspected at first that she was wearing it to hide some weight gain.

When I saw the news the next day, and footage of her at her first board meeting she looked to be of good size, but a good girdle could fix that too.

beldaraan
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
...but a good girdle could fix that too.
You can knit those too :P

feministmama
03-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Here's the poncho:

http://socialitelife.com/mt/archives/000975.php

feministmama
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
More Martha and her poncho:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7119356/

KNITBIT
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Hi all,

I just received a email from Lion Brand. They have gotten a ton of requests for the Martha poncho pattern. They said they will have the pattern up at their site soon. Thought I'd forward the news!

KNITBIT :XX:

mascarasnake
03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Beat me to it, KNITBIT! But here's what they said:

After receiving the largest number of requests ever for a pattern, Lion Brand is creating a Homespun pattern to match the poncho that Martha Stewart wore for her return home this week.

Our newsletter and web site next week (we’re working as fast as we can!) will feature the pattern and picture of the new poncho.

We’ll send an email as soon as it’s ready.

KNITBIT
03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
mascarasnake :thumbsup:

GMTA!

Charlotte Kopf
03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi
I get emails from Lion Brand yarn. Just received one this AM that said they had many requests for Martha Poncho, and they will have the pattern soon and will email as soon as they get it. I am sure all you will have to do is go to lion Brand yarn.com to get it. I will post a message to let everyone know when it is ready. Have a good day everyone. :XX:

KNITBIT
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
The Martha poncho pattern is up at Bernat Yarns.
;)

wildforyarn
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Here is the link that I got from Bernat for the Martha Stewart poncho... it is a free download.

http://www.bernat.com/freepattern_poncho.php

roxyquiksilver34
03-10-2005, 11:40 PM
More Martha

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-03-08-stewart-poncho_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

wildforyarn
03-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Ooops, I did not realize when I put the link up so quickly that it was for crocheting, not knitting. Sorry knitters.

roxyquiksilver34
03-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Ooops, I did not realize when I put the link up so quickly that it was for crocheting, not knitting. Sorry knitters.

Hey wild - we're all flexible here - I crochet too :XX:

dord
03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Apparently, the poncho is crochetted and it will be posted on lionbrand.com soon. In the mean time, check out the site. They have so many poncho patterns. I'm sure there is at least one there that would be pleasing, no matter your age.

Happy knitting . . . and possibly, happy crochetting!

Phretys
03-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Lion's website says they will make a knit version of the poncho after the crochet pattern is featured. :XX:

fitcook
03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Crochet pattern up now at lionbrand.com. Yes, I read they are announcing a knitting pattern next week. I do a lot of crocheting also, so it is nice to be able to get started right away on some leftover skeins of HomeSpun that I have hanging around. It won't be cold enough to wear a poncho much longer; we in California are experiencing a heat wave right now :D , but I am sure it will return to milder temps again before it warms up permanently for the summer.

I printed up both the Bernat and the LionBrand patterns. After a cursory comparison, the main differences (besides the yarns suggested) are that the Bernat is worked in two pieces and the LionBrand in one, the Lionbrand directions are much more detailed, and the Bernat doesn't read like it has the standup collar on it. The stitch patterns produced are a bit different between the two. I just prefer the clarity of the LionBrand directions , so I think I will work that.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping this post going until the patterns finally appeared!

VictoiseC
03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks all for notifiying about the pattern being up.

Oh, and I appreciate that little comparison between the two patterns. I don't necessarily want a standup collar.. I might wait til I see the knit version though. Well, actually I have to wait coz I don't have the yarn yet! :??

This is so funny.

amigarabita
03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
not that it is at all relevant, but i heard she lost weight in prison.

also, wouldn't it be cool to teach women prisoners to knit?

VictoiseC
03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Well amigari.... think about it: no alcohol, no foie gras, no chocolates

She did work out each day but I couldn't help thinking that giving up booze and wine for 4 or 5 months certainly would have her losing weight.

Knitting/crocheting in prison must really help.

foldedbird
03-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Isn't there a way to convert crochet to knit?

Nuno930
03-12-2005, 10:50 AM
also, wouldn't it be cool to teach women prisoners to knit?

Can they have knitting needles?

Anne
03-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Sometime soon Lionbrand will have the knitting pattern for the poncho. It might be this week not sure.... www.lionbrand.com

Tee
03-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I got an e-mail today from Mary Maxim saying they have the pattern for Martha's poncho. They are selling it as a kit with either Bernat Galaxy or Soft Bouclé yarn. They were fast.

You can see it here:

http://www.marymaxim.com/promos/martha.htm

Rennagayle
03-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I saw a knitted version of it on Bernat's website today. Sorry I don't have the link handy right now.

happenin
03-13-2005, 05:12 AM
KNITBIT
The Martha poncho pattern is up at Bernat Yarns.
Thanks KNITBIT!

wildforyarn
Here is the link that I got from Bernat for the Martha Stewart poncho... it is a free download.

http://www.bernat.com/freepattern_poncho.php
(Crocheted Version, see further down in this message for Knit version)

Thank you! The knit version is out now too, see below.

fitcook
Crochet pattern up now at lionbrand.com. Yes, I read they are announcing a knitting pattern next week. ......

I printed up both the Bernat and the LionBrand patterns. After a cursory comparison, the main differences (besides the yarns suggested) are that the Bernat is worked in two pieces and the LionBrand in one, the Lionbrand directions are much more detailed, and the Bernat doesn't read like it has the standup collar on it. The stitch patterns produced are a bit different between the two. I just prefer the clarity of the LionBrand directions ....
fitcook, providing your cursory comparison is really appreciated. I think I'll go with Lion's too.

foldedbird
Isn't there a way to convert crochet to knit?
Yep, but I doubt you need more of my links at the moment! Message me if you'd like the links I have on the subject(s) of conversion.....in the meantime, if you like, head for that knit version at Bernat, see below.

Rennagayle
I saw a knitted version of it on Bernat's website today. Sorry I don't have the link handy right now.
No worries Rennagayle.....

Bernat's Knit (http://www.bernat.com/freepattern_poncho_knit.php) version of Martha's poncho.

Lion's Knit (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-scallopEdgePoncho.html) and Crocheted (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-scallopEdgePoncho.html) version of Martha's poncho.

Appended (3/14/05): Thanks carollovesyarn!

Martha's Poncho creator: Ms. Xiomaro Hernandez

Printable Crocheted "Freedom Poncho" Pattern (http://www.interweave.com/knit/events/freedom_poncho_pf.asp), as interpreted by Lily M. Chin for Interweave (http://www.interweave.com) Press.

Appended (10/12/05): And by this time, if all this Martha's Poncho stuff still hasn't worn off on you, why not make one for your favorite pooch?

Lion's "Martha's Best Friend" Poncho Knit (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-dogPoncho.html) and Crocheted (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-dogPoncho.html).

VictoiseC
03-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Kinda funny, I guess Lion Brand and Bernat ended up in a race to get it posted and Bernat won. I didn't really know bernat til now.

carollovesyarn
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I hear a Lily Chin version will be up on Interweave's (http://www.interweave.com/) site on Monday - we'll see!

Carol

KNITBIT
03-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Lion Brand has the Martha Poncho (knitted version) up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

I'm off to Michael's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, want to make sure I get my yarn, etc. before it gets bought up! Gotta finish my 3 pairs of booties first. What a incentive to finish the booties. hehe!

ekgheiy
03-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Lion Brand has the Martha Poncho (knitted version) up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

I'm off to Michael's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, want to make sure I get my yarn, etc. before it gets bought up! Gotta finish my 3 pairs of booties first. What a incentive to finish the booties. hehe!

Dudette! You must let me know how this pattern works up. It doesn't make a whole bunch of sense just by reading it :oops: ... I think I might be having a DUH-UH moment ... :doh:

Here's (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-scallopEdgePoncho.html) the pattern BTW ... ;)

ekgheiy
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Homespun, eh?? Hmm... :?

I find that Homespun doesn't hold up very well. Or maybe I'm just rough on my Homespun pieces? ... :??

What about you guys? Do you find that your Homespun pieces have held up nicely? If so, how did you care for them?

KNITBIT
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Hehe! Ya, I hope I can figure it out. Looks a bit confusing :?? So I'm a lil intimidated, yet DETERMINED to DO IT! So hopefully all turns out well. :pray:

KNITBIT :shifty:

VictoiseC
03-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi! I'm just wondering, will the knitted version look just like the crocheted one? That doesn't seem possible. I hope it's not too hard in either version. I like to knit better than crochet but I'm thinking the crochet one might be prettier. I don't know! have to go look closely at them again I guess....

Please let us know how hard the pattern is! :cheering:

VictoiseC
03-15-2005, 03:51 PM
I met a lovely lady recently through the ONLY other knitting board I sometimes check into, TKGA, and she said homsepun, esp Lion Brand, is horrible. Pills and wears badly and stuff. Of course the Lion Brand homespun is mostly acrylic. I want to do this poncho is something really pretty, wool only....

ekgheiy
03-15-2005, 04:00 PM
I met a lovely lady recently through the ONLY other knitting board I sometimes check into, TKGA, and she said homsepun, esp Lion Brand, is horrible. Pills and wears badly and stuff. Of course the Lion Brand homespun is mostly acrylic. I want to do this poncho is something really pretty, wool only....

Yes, I agree. I made a Hoodie w/ Homespun. It didn't pill, but it didn't age gracefully either. :(

cheesiesmom
03-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm not much of a fan of Homespun either, but Lion classifies it as a bulky yarn and I imagine any of their yarns in the same class could be substituted. I particularly like Lion Jiffy, but the skeins are half the size. I didn't think the knitted pattern sounded too hard, but it's pieced together. Ugh. The lion site shows the same picture for the knit version as for the crocheted. I can't believe that they would both look the same, but then I'm probably wrong.

KellyK
03-15-2005, 04:22 PM
OK - the dark side of Kelly is about to poke through....

How can anyone still want to wear that poncho? I am TIRED of the Martha Stewart poncho! :wall:

I feel like I do when Ive spent a whole day cooking & now can't even stand the SMELL of food!

That poncho wont go away & its making me ANGRY! :evil:

:oops: :help: Um....sorry about that. I never thought I would be an anti-ponch-ite! :help: :oops:

carollovesyarn
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Lily Chin's version (http://www.interweave.com/knit/events/freedom_poncho_pf.asp)with two different yarns held together is interesting...

Carol

feministmama
03-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Does anyone else think it's strange that the knit version is called the "freedom" poncho?

happenin
03-16-2005, 01:44 AM
That poncho wont go away & its making me ANGRY!
Oh relax Kelly :) ... they're already starting to obsess about what the press has dubbed as:
"Martha's latest 'fashion accessory';" her new "ankle bracelet." Which I hear she's not recommending at all.

KellyK
03-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Oh relax Kelly :)

I know, you are right....let me take a DEEP CLEANSING BREATH and LET GO of all that NEGATIVE energy.

AAAAaaaahhhhhh! That's better!!

I HATE that poncho.

Aziandoll
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I just started the poncho today, only the crocheted version. I looked at both, and although I can both knit and crochet, I like the way the crocheted one looks better.

Apparently over here in SoCal, the local Jo-Anns is offering classes in crocheting and knitting, and you get a free Martha Stewart poncho pattern!

I am currently using the Homespun in "Edwardian". Has anyone had trouble making the first round (after the base chain)? I am finding the loops difficult to find, and after starting over twice, I finally was able to create it.

Has anyone else been using a different yarn and which one?
Thanks everyone for your help! :XX:

cheesiesmom
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Geez, that's quite an offer, pay for classes and get a free pattern that anyone can download from the internet.

I used homespun for a capelet for my dtr which has a crocheted rosette on it and had the same problem. Couldn't see the stitches. The substitution chart on the Lion site says all of these are bulky (category 5) yarns: * Color Waves
* Chunky USA
* Festive Fur
* Fun Fur
* Homespun®
* Homespun Baby®
* Incredible
* Jiffy
* Kool Wool
* Lion Suede
* Moonlight Mohair
* Polarspun
* Trellis
* Velvet Spun
* Watercolors
* Wool-Ease Chunky

I love Jiffy and Incredible. The Moonlight mohair is gorgeous, but it's rather pricey for a 3 oz skein. I have also used wool-ease chunky. Any of those should work up the same as homespun. It seems to me that because homespun has a permanent wave in it, it works up better in really plain patterns. My capelet was just stockingette. I would think the Martha poncho has too much going on for a textured yarn.

The lion trellis might work, too, and be lighter-weight for the spring and summer. I would use the wooly-er yarns for a winter project.

Good luck. Post your project when you're done. Would love to see it!

happenin
09-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Hello again everyone!

'Tis the season to start gearin' back up for the knit/crochet season...and with that I want to set you all on a MARTHA ALERT. :happydance:

Get your remotes or your Tivo's, DVD, VCR's ready because.....

Tomorrow, Tuesday, September 13, 2005......at Noon until 1, check your local NBC channel(s) for "Martha", which will be day 2 of her new show. She's going to have Dana Carvey on as a guest and the show will be all about Poncho's!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, nice to see all the old familiar users have become mod's around here! :) See ya's soon!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2005, 09:44 PM
GOODIE! KK, make sure that you record it!

mintdee
09-12-2005, 11:22 PM
^ :roflhard: wanna bet KK does a happy dance? :happydance:

;)

KellyK
09-13-2005, 08:25 AM
:rollseyes: Ugh....fer cryin' out loud. :rollseyes:

(Mintdee...you werent around KH when Martha came home & everyone went poncho CRAZY...I HATE ponchos.) :roflhard:

ekgheiy
09-13-2005, 08:49 AM
:rofling: @ kk. (a la Dori) It's alright. It'll be okay. It's just a phase; the poncho craze will hibernate again soon. ;)

Silver
09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I saw the show. It was David Spade, btw, not Dana Carvey.

Almost everyone was wearing ponchos, including the audience, Martha's two dogs, David Spade, Elmo, even the camera crew. Can we say Ponchodiculous? lol

Also.. Lily Chin was whipping out a poncho for one of the dogs, during the taping of the show. MAAAAN SHE'S FAAAAAST! :shock:

The show was good though. There was a blurb before a commercial that said Knitting and Crocheting can actually lower your blood pressure.

OOKAAY. That is if you're not trying to frog mohair. ;)

Jivewhistle
09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
:roflhard: Silver. I saw the blurb too about blood pressure and thought about frogging!

I thought it was a really good show. And I LOVE David Spade. I laughed so hard when he came out like he did. :roflhard:

brendajos
09-13-2005, 12:16 PM
:rollseyes: Ugh....fer cryin' out loud. :rollseyes:

(Mintdee...you werent around KH when Martha came home & everyone went poncho CRAZY...I HATE ponchos.):roflhard: OMG! I thought i was the only one! i even hate the word...it sounds made up! I love shawls though i don't make them because i am pretty sure i would never use them. I do have a bunch of patterns saved for them though. But i hate hate hate ponchos and i reeeeeeeeeeeally hate the coming home poncho. :hiding:

Silver
09-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, David Spade is hilarious, but I laughed more at Elmo and the dog! That was soooo funny! :roflhard:

KellyK
09-13-2005, 01:05 PM
OMG! I thought i was the only one! i even hate the word...it sounds made up! I love shawls though i don't make them because i am pretty sure i would never use them. I do have a bunch of patterns saved for them though. But i hate hate hate ponchos and i reeeeeeeeeeeally hate the coming home poncho. :hiding:
Let's be ANTI-PONCHITES together, Bren...

I never owned a wrap/shawl before I made Traveling Vines, either, but I plan on wearing it instead of a jacket in the chilly evenings of Spring/Fall. :thumbsup:

brendajos
09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
does that mean we couldn't like Ponch from CHiPs anymore?

eh that's okay i liked the blond one better anyway...

ooh and it is this one (http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/bignet_stole.html) that i like the best but i can't find big net at any store i go to. and i don't need to order any more yarn right now...lol

Silver
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
You're not alone! lol

The Manolo No-Poncho Pledge (http://manoloshoes.blogspot.com/2005/03/manolo-no-poncho-pledge.html)

"Then, one morning, you wake up hung over, and the bank account it is empty, and there are twenty-seven ponchos of various ridiculous colors and patterns in the closet."
:roflhard:

brendajos
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
The Manolo No-Poncho Pledge
"I Brenda swear on the head and/or the grave of my sainted granny to never wear, buy, knit, crochet, or fashion from the old throw rug, the poncho. And if the poncho it is given to me as the gift, I will graciously thank the giver and then, when she has left, put the poncho into the dog's bed and/or the trash as the case she may be. Only by doing these things faithfully can I help end for the good of the humanity the scourge that is the poncho. So help me Manolo."

i cried laughing....it was mostly in the way it was written more so than the fact that someone stepped into my brain and wrote it down (though that scares me cuz i am afraid to find out where the rest of the stuff i keep in there is written!)

happenin
09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Yep Spade, not Carvey...my bad. ;)

Only letdown I had was they didn't actually show you how to make one. Probably because the poncho is now available at Marthastewartstore.com (http://www.marthastewartstore.com) for $49.99 (US) plus shipping and available in alpaca and mohair, with color choices of Blue and Red. They start shipping on September 30th. Sale proceeds go to charitable organizations which protect and support needy women and their families and also will assist the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Still, it was a very good show....and very cute....almost everyone in the audience had one on...except for one guy sitting in the audience...and even he had some sort of sweater jacket on to fit the overall theme.

Lily was incredible. Hey speed knitters/crocheters, when asked by Martha about how she does it so fast....she gave some tips ....she lubes her hook and then uses it after wiping it off a bit....and she sometimes does her crocheting while listening to something upbeat and fast...in her case, she particularly likes the Ramone's. :thumbsup: Now that's one hip crocheter!

Way to go Lily Chin....Rock On! :roflhard: LOL

KellyK
09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
I guess we would have to include some kind of disclaimer that Eric Estrada is exempt from our spite and disgust.....

I just TOTALLY read the Monolo No Poncho Pledge out loud to my pooches so I would have WITNESSES! :roflhard:

Carol_OH
09-14-2005, 12:15 AM
I kinda like ponchos - on girls and young teens they look cute.

Should I run!? :shock:

KellyK
09-14-2005, 12:32 AM
I forgive you, Carol. :rollseyes:

foldedbird
09-14-2005, 12:42 AM
Can't say I was too pleased with the show, but man Lily Chin can crochet fast. Makes me want to time myself knitting to see how fast I can go. Just for fun...

I gotta say, I really don't like Martha's poncho. It's a pretty nice gift, I guess, from someone in prison...but there is no way I'd buy or sell one for $50. It kind of looks like a carpet.

Howweevver comma...I have seen a *few* ponchos that I kind of like. They look more like shawls or wraps, though.

So, am I forgiven too? If not, Tara and I will band together. No needles for you, KK!!! muwahhahahaha

brendajos
09-14-2005, 01:10 AM
well i just watched it.....well up until elmo...that was more than i could take...i don't understand the point of muppets doing interviews.

i LOVED the whole prison food segment and really like the Martha we are seeing so far. definitely seems like she has changed some through this whole thing and really does appear to have an appreciation for the people who were spoofing her.

that being said i still hate that poncho. and while watching the crocheter i couldn't help but think there was no way that working like that could be enjoyable. i suppose it is for her but i just don't think i would get the same benefit from it if i knitted like that.

KellyK
09-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Howweevver comma...I have seen a *few* ponchos that I kind of like. They look more like shawls or wraps, though.

So, am I forgiven too? If not, Tara and I will band together. No needles for you, KK!!! muwahhahahaha
Well comma Deni comma I am all about freedom of choice period
So no forgiveness necessary comma
And comma just think exclamation mark
If I hate ponchos (Erik Estrada excluded of course) that's all the more ponchos for you and Carol exclamation mark :mrgreen:
You two can roll around in all the ponchos and be happy!

foldedbird
09-14-2005, 08:01 AM
awww comma youapostrophere so sweet period donapostrophet know what i would do without youexclimation point

OK, I can't do that forever. LOL! As much as I like ponchos, I have yet to find the patience to actually knit one. Very warm here, so I'd rarely get to wear it...not so practical. BUT if I were to roll around in one with someone, as sweet as Tara is, I'm not sure if she would be my choice. I think I'd have to go with Viggo (http://www.viggochronicles.com/). They wear ponchos in LOTR, don't they? If not the maille armor will do it for me...[/url]

KellyK
09-14-2005, 08:04 AM
You could send his publicist an email to ask if he'd be willing to help us promote the art of knitting by rolling around in a few ponchos with ya...can't hurt to ASK, can it? :lol: At the very least, I bet you'd get an autographed picture or something!

dustinac
09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
I missed the show :shock:

I forgot about the 3 one cause I'm not use to that time slot and TV so thought at 6 I'd catch it.. NOPE didn't happen.. don't ask me why I didn't set the Tivo... I did watch the first one well the last 30 mins and it was kinda boring just cooking.. so was hoping yesterdays would be better with knitting :D

I like ponchos too.. They cover my baby tummy LOL When I do wear a poncho *gasp* yes Brendajosos and Kelly I wear one in public I seem to get more compliments from dh, family, and friends when I do.. I like lacey ones though am I forgiven?? :D

KellyK
09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
I SO didnt mean to imply that anyone needs my permission to like ponchos! :rofling: I just happen to prefer rectangular wraps instead.... POWER TO THE RECTANGLE!!! :thumbsup:

dustinac
09-14-2005, 08:40 AM
:rofling: I know :rofling: I know :rofling: :rofling:

Sara
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Oh God, I now have this image of Denise and Viggo rolling around in that Martha monstrosity! The people here in the computer lab are looking at me as if I've gone off my rocker for giggling at the computer! Frankly, it should be ME rolling around with Viggo, but Denise got there first. Sigh.

I read the Manolo blog yesterday. I laughed so hard, tears were rolling down my face. I love the Gallery of the Horrors, the bit about the Ugg boots should only be worn by the little girls who like the Hello Kitty is a scream. :roflhard:

Silver
09-14-2005, 09:12 AM
I have made two ponchos. One for my daughter, and she does look cute in it, and other because I didn't know what else to do with the yarn. But I sold that poncho so it doesn't count.

I only wear ponchos at theme parks when it's raining... you know, one of those plastic ones. And it's CLEAR, so it doesn't count either. lol

KellyK
09-14-2005, 09:29 AM
I read the Manolo blog yesterday. I laughed so hard, tears were rolling down my face. I love the Gallery of the Horrors, the bit about the Ugg boots should only be worn by the little girls who like the Hello Kitty is a scream. :roflhard:

OMG I hadnt gone any further than the no poncho pledge! Im SO glad you brought that up!! Here is the Gallery of Horrors (http://shoeblogs.com/horrors.html). :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I think the funniest thing is that I OWN Birks AND Danskos AND Earth Shoes! I AM a "bohemian and the pot-smoking hippie of the crunchiness"! (Except without the pot-smoking part...I outgrew that when I decided I actually needed to WAKE UP and GO to work in order to KEEP a job!) :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Sara
09-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I've been lurking around on the Zappos site, looking at the Earthshoes, the Borns, and the Keens for the last few weeks. I'm going to need some new "comfortable shoes" when the weather turns cold. Probably next week :rollseyes: . I couldn't wear Manolos even if I could afford them, so I'll try not to feel embarrassed when I wear the shoes of the humiliation. :lol:

Pot smoking is not on my agenda, but I'm sure if my new shoes give me the urge I can get some from my classmates. (Who haven't yet found it necessary to wake up and do their homework.)

Carol_OH
09-14-2005, 10:34 AM

:) heheee :thumbsup:

*I think I'm gonna adopt denise*