PDA

View Full Version : Any other knitters under 30??

ladyindica2000
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
This is for all those under 30 or so... am I the only one that gets mercilessly picked on by my friends when I mention that I knit?? I have no one to talk to about my knitting classes, SEX (Stash enrichment expeditions), cool projects, etc. because I am the only one I know under 30 that knits (I am 27). Anyone elses friends or family give funny looks or think it is weird that they knit?? Am I the only one??

Trish

jeanelaina
03-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm 25, and the first time I ever mentioned it my girlfriend laughed at me :rollseyes: Oh well, I love it, people don't know what they are missing!!

Jean

beldaraan
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm 28, but I don't get wierd looks. Or at least I don't notice them. Or maybe they know they'll get some attitude if they criticize my hobby.

Them: You knit?!
Beld: You go out in public like that??

I get a lot of support. My mom and my good friend both knit, my hubby is extremely supportive and proud to wear anything that I knit him, and my brother tolerates "some" knitting topics (more of the fashionable side, not the technical stuff). Of course, I also have my great knitting community here at kh.com.

Nuno930
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I am. My friends all think it is awesome and are begging me to either teach them or make them something :thumbsup:

ekgheiy
03-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I've never gotten any funny reactions until today. I was knitting on my lunch break. A male co-worker commented that knitting was for little old ladies! :thinking:

I think he meant it jokingly. :?? But then I realized that I didn't care if he did or not... and I kept on knitting! xxx

MommaBear
03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
This is for all those under 30 or so... am I the only one that gets mercilessly picked on by my friends when I mention that I knit?? I have no one to talk to about my knitting classes, SEX (Stash enrichment expeditions), cool projects, etc. because I am the only one I know under 30 that knits (I am 27). Anyone elses friends or family give funny looks or think it is weird that they knit?? Am I the only one??

I'm under 30 ... 25 to be exact! No one teases me, but I don't know anyone else who does it! But I don't really talk about it a lot with other people either, so it doesn't come up a lot maybe?
I do have a lot of poeple who think it's neat that I knit! And this Christmas we were all at the family party .... 3 people had portable DVD players, one was listening to a portable CD player, 2 people were playing on their PDA's and several kids had portable gaming systems with them .... and there I was ... knitting away! My aunt pointed it out and we got a good laugh about it ;-)

JessicaSant
03-07-2005, 06:42 PM
some of my guy-friends try to give me a hard time about knitting. But all the women I've told (or who have seen the stuff I've made) are impressed. And I've got a few requesting lessons so they can make stuff too.

I went to a knitting group last week (that I found through meetup.com), and most of the group was older.... hopefully some younger ladies will join too :)

humblestumble
03-07-2005, 06:47 PM
lol, everyone i tell go "really?" and then they see what im knitting and say "ooh can you make me one?" and "how do you do that? can you teach me?"

*edit - EVEN guys. *

It's flattering....and im a horrible business woman...So I really dont get any money if i make something for someone.

Oh yah and in home ec, this guy calls me "grandma" but hes just joking around. he said his grandma used to do it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
All of my knitty friends and I are under 30. Okay, one is 31, but we won't tell her we know her real age. Anywho, I get wierd looks from the kids at school who think knitting is for grandmas, but then I get a lot more "You are the coolest teacher EVER" and "WOW you know how to do EVERYTHING!!!!" which would be true regardless of me knowing how to knit ;) I've taught a few kids... all girls, but the boys like to watch me knit, sometimes, so that's a step in the right direction I suppose. The goth kids are all facinated by knitting... they wanted to learn how to knit so they can make wristbands with skulls and flames and "tragic" things on them.

brookenic
03-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm 23. I just started knitted and YES I have gotten....are you nesting?(i'm not pregnant)..that's for old ladies.....why are you doing that? My husband and a couple friends are cool about it. And I try not to care what other people say about it. I love it. ~Brooke

Kittykat
03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm only 19...:doh: (Soon to be 20, thank you very much) I just like how its the only one crafty thing I can do, so I don't really care if people think I'm "nesting" or that it's old fashioned...It's a fun thing to do, so who cares?

bobbiinbrooklyn
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I've always assumed most people on this list are under 30. In fact, I've often been tempted to ask if there is anyone out there over 40. I've been knitting over 25 years, and it has only been in the last several years, during knitting's renaissance, that it seems to be acceptable to knit. My friends and family have been calling me grandma since I was 25. It is only recently it seems that I don't get strange looks when I whip my needles out on the subway. In fact, a few times a week at least, I'll see a fellow knitter on the train, and we exchange smiles. These knitters always seem to be under 30 to me.

So don't fret, we are getting more respect than we used to. There's stength in numbers and there seems to be more knitters everyday!

KellyK
03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm 34, and knitting makes me feel like a girl scout again...no one makes fun of me because they all want me to make them something!

oshnpashn
03-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Here's an over 40!! I'm 44!! Never really thought about the average age here. If it makes any of you youngsters feel better, I get teased all the time about my knitting!! xxx :frog:

javede
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm 20, but haven't gotten much negative comments.
Apart from my Dad... but he made similare ones when I started to sew and then told me he used to make his own clothes too :?eyebrow:
It's just his kind of "humor" :rollseyes:
What I did get were some odd looks when knitting in public, but I don't care. Since more often people are curious about what I'm making and ask where I did get that cool yarn from.
As for talking about knitting stuff...I talk about it anyway eventhough nobody I know knits (well, my mum just restarted after seeing me knitting). In return I listen to their stories about things they do, that I don't, even if I think it's boring (like when my dad talks about his work...)

mascarasnake
03-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm under 30, and I've never been teased...of course I started knitting when it became hip for younguns to do so. Bust magazine and SnBs ruled the environment I began knitting in, so I've never been self-concious about it, just incredibly proud and obsessed.

Unrelated... This one is too much! :frog:

jade771
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm 29, so I guess I am in that category for the next few months! No on has ever made fun of me for knitting, but I know that a lot of people think it is a granny hobby. I love it and I aint stoppin' :XX:

feministmama
03-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm 38 and I thought that knitting was being taken over by a revolution of younger women :thinking: Maybe that's only true in hip happenin Portland Oregon

amigarabita
03-09-2005, 10:01 AM
i'll be thirty for another month, then i suppose i cannot be officially part of this thread!

no one really says anything. all my friendbs regard me as generally pretty crafty and knitting falls logically into that. the only thing is that whenever i wear sweaters, jcrew, gap, whatever, everyone asks me "did you make that?"

aliassak
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm also in the under 30 group. I started out crocheting, but had to try knitting after seeing some gorgeous socks a co-worker had made. With either hobby, I don't get odd looks; just general curiosity about what I'm making.

Every time I buy new yarn at the LYS, I get asked what I'm making this time around.

jkik2478
03-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm 27 and I just started knitting a month ago. I'm working on my first scarf. When I told my sister and friend they asked "are you like 80 years old." When they saw how the scarf was progressing they wanted me to make one for them too. I have four requests already. They will have to wait til Christmas! I wish there was group around NJ with some younger people in it!

loofnicnad
03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm over 30, but I understand being on the receiving end of some very odd looks and comments.
I'm the only guy in my circle of friends who knits :XY:

I have had friends over to my house who are shocked :shock: when they find out that the project in the living room is not my wife's!
I have to admit it is fun when they start to get curious and ask me to show them how!

The point here is don't let anyone's perception of your age, gender or activity of choice prevent you from knitting when and where you want to!

amourbliss
03-15-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm 19 and people normally don't say anything to me when I'm knitting and if they do and it's something about it being fir grandmas then I just laug it off and ignore it!!! I enjoy knitting so I'm not going to let someone else ruin it for me!!! KNITTERS ROCK!!! :XX: ... :happydance:

amy
03-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Trish, you poor thing! I can't imagine anyone teasing me because I knit! :?eyebrow: ??? That's just baffling! :??

I've only ever had positive feedback that I can remember. Although if someone compared me to a granny, I probably wouldn't have noticed, because I've always thought very highly of grannies and everything they are stereotypically associated with! I used to say, "When I grow up I want to be a professional grandmother." ;) Hmmm, maybe I got my wish! :lol:

Amy

MommaBear
03-15-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm over 30, but I understand being on the receiving end of some very odd looks and comments.
I'm the only guy in my circle of friends who knits :XY:

I just taught a knitting class with a guy in it (out of 6) and I'm pretty sure my April class will also have a male in it! I think knitting in generaly is becoming more popular among all ages and genders! =)

cheesiesmom
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
loofnicnad---

I am well over 30, but I remember back in the late '60's needlepoint was all the rage. A lot of men took it up probably because of a very masculine, burly fellow by the name of Roosevelt Grier. He was a massive football player (a supporter of Robert Kennedy) with I think an LA team and liked to work on his projects during airplane flights. It relaxed him. He was all over the talk shows showing off his really beautiful work.

My husband, watching me knit, asked to learn. I taught him, but he didn't continue with it. His knitting, as a beginner, was far nicer and evener than I still can produce. I'm glad he didn't continue 'cause I'm sure I would have never picked up needles again if I had to compare my passable work with his perfect stitches.

I've always thought if we could get past the gender stereotypes, people would find all sorts of things that they could excel at and enjoy.

franna724
03-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm 27. I just started knitting last year. I also cross stitch occasionally. When I picked up knitting, my best friend thought it was hilarious and called me an old woman for awhile. Then she got a nice scarf for Christmas and changed her tune. My hubby and mom are totally supportive and listen when I talk about my knitting addiction. :D My sis, however, has no appreciation of the craft. I made her a scarf for Christmas, fashionable in my opinion, and I found out that it's basically collecting dust. However, she'll buy a similar scarf from the Gap and wear it out. I don't know.

It's kind of lonely for me, since I do not know anyone personally who knits. I don't get to the LYS to meet anyone due to being a one-car family and no child care and my husband works nights and I work days. But I love to knit, and I'm not going to stop because a few people think I'm weird. Besides, what would I do with my hands while I watch Third Watch reruns every night? LOL

Anna

roxyquiksilver34
03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll be 34 this year, and I still get carded @ bars.
Knitting Power!

:XX:

jessmoor
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi fellow knitters!

I think knitting must really be coming back, because most of the people I know who knit are around my age (26). One of my best friends knits, her friend crochets and wants to learn to knit, and my sister-in-law was dying to learn and loves it. She also rides the bus every day, and she says that she sees at least one person knitting every day - its a great thing to do on the bus or train. I know a couple people my mom's age who knit, but both my mom & grandma haven't for a long time even though they did in the past. I think for a couple decades it wasn't around as much. It's understandable why its popular again, considering how stressful, fast-paced, corporate, etc. it is nowadays.

- Jessica

jessmoor
03-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi again! I wanted to add that I don't think I've ever gotten a critical comment or weird look (maybe I just haven't noticed, & haven't been doing it that long) ;) ! Everyone who says something is interested. (In general I don't think friends should criticize other friends hobbies, unless its friendly teasing). Also, lots of little kids knit - my friend heads up a knitting club at her elementary, and there a not-too-shabby number of boys in it too! - Jessica

Nicoley
03-24-2005, 08:37 PM
im 23... i get no comment... than again i dont go out much and i have no offline friends lol my sister makes no comments i think becuase i force things apon her and her monkeys ... :thumbsup:

midnightskyfibers
04-22-2005, 02:37 AM
( i think i win being the youngest here so far....)
Ill be 19 in june :)
And no, people wouldnt dare tease me about my knitting when they are sitting close enough to my sock needles they might get poked! Not they they do anywyas of course- they know how i cant focus/pay attention when im not kntting!

brendajos
04-22-2005, 10:38 AM
well i am 34 and i have a couple of different groups of friends. I have the group that always wants to know what i am working on and how they get on the list for the things i am giving away after i finish it. Then i have the other group of friends that teases me and calls me granny and one has taken to calling me a "yarn fondler" ...lol...when you're right you're right. i love touching yarn...lol.

of course that same group of friends that tease me have all asked me for scarves and blankets and things so i don't take them too seriously...lol

one has had the audacity to call me "Knitter" but that is generally only after i have reminded him that he is a dorky accountant! ;)

Jivewhistle
04-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm 22 and have only recieved comments from a couple people on my dad's side of the family. (Thank goodness we live far away, I only talk to them online). My mom's side of the family (also...online..lol) thinks the knitting is really cool and they're always wanting me to post pictures on our family site. They are mainly impressed with the fact that I took up knitting when I quit smoking. And I've been smoke-free now for over 3 months...yay! :happydance:

I don't know any knitters personally nor get out to any lys. I don't have my own car and the lys's are in the city...and we only go to the city unless there's some event or appointment. Even though we're only outside of the city by 15 minutes....traffic is still always REALLY nasty.

I enjoy my online knitting buddies though :D

yarnpiggy
04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Jivewhistle, I too used knitting to quit smoking! Granted, I started knitting months before I quit, but I've found that it's really helped me with the quit. 50 days smoke free for me! Congratulations on your three months--that's awesome!

In keeping with the original post though...I'm 26 and I get varied comments on the fact that I knit. My boyfriend thinks it's "cute" and sometimes teases me about being an "old lady." My family mostly thinks it's cool though.

rebecca
04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Okay :( I don't qualify as far as 'physical' age goes...I am over 30, well over, I suppose (46, with a grandchild!!)...lol....BUT, I decided to respond to this thread bc I am far younger ;) than 30 mentally...Here's something that all of you 'young guys/girls' need to know....your age is in your MIND...nowhere else; time may catch up with you...but your attitude is the one thing that time canNOT change...unless YOU allow it to!!
So, yes, I am UNDER 30....I am young at heart!!
FYI, my youngest daughter (19) likes the fact that I knit...but not in public (with her...lol) bc she said that only 'old' people knit in public...I guess she considers me young at heart as well!!
Another FYI....AIN'T NO WAY that 46 is anywhere close to old, by the way!!! :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:
Keep up the knitting!!
Love to u all!!

KellyK
04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Then i have the other group of friends that teases me and calls me granny and one has taken to calling me a "yarn fondler" ...lol...when you're right you're right. i love touching yarn...lol.

Hilde and I call that FIBER-BATING. I am guilty of that, as well...I love to go to my LYS & just SQUEEZE things!

CONGRATS to all of you who quit smoking! I have been thinking lately that knitting may just be the thing I need to do the same...

Rebecca...you are absolutely right! I work with folks that are 95 and STILL not old!! :thumbsup:

1knitscarf
08-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi kittycat,

Welcome to the Club! I think like that too! :)
I'm in my late 20s and so proud of my knit skinny scarves that I wear them as headbands or belts everytime I go out. After concentrating at work and taking stressful decisions, I think "boy do I need some knitting with some soothing music" What I like most of knitting is that it pushes you to be creative with patterns and yarn colors.

What's your current project?

I'm only 19...:doh: (Soon to be 20, thank you very much) I just like how its the only one crafty thing I can do, so I don't really care if people think I'm "nesting" or that it's old fashioned...It's a fun thing to do, so who cares?
Happy knitting!

knitwit628
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm 13 and don't care what others think about me knitting. My friends and family don't knit, but they seem interested in what I am knitting sometimes. It doesn't bother me to talk about it. I am proud of my hobby and people seem to think it's cool that I love something that a lot of kids wouldn't think about doing.

SkyBluePink
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I am just under 30 (next month!!! arghhhhhhhh) and I am the only one of my friends or family to knit. I get such "stick" for it too!! The comments range from old ladyness to pregnancy (the horror!!) to "get a job already".

But it is not enough to sway me from knitting. I luffs it!! :yay:

KT120
08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Well I'll turn 30 in 17 days so I can still reply to this thread! :)
My family and boyfriend have been very supportive and actually love my knitting. My best friend however made fun of me. He thinks it means old ladies and cats. :grrr: He even went so far as to tell me last week that he seriously thinks I should give knitting up because it will cause me to stay home and just knit. :fingerwag: Can you believe that? Like I would ever give this up. I had to explain about sit and knit nights that I plan to join which I'm sure I'll make friends from there.

The times I've KIP I've had nothing but "cool" remarks. I do think it has become more popular in the last few years with the younger crowd. My cousin who is in HS and who I taught to knit a bit has told me that most of her friends knit as well. Knitting rocks!

Eekee
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Me! Me! I'm under 30!!!!

Whew, I typed that out just in time. (I turn 30 in 4 days.)

But, I'm not sensitive about it or anything... ;) No, no.

To answer the OP I do get some comments about my knitting. I KIP all the time, waiting for my kids or at church practices, or in waiting rooms. I guess I don't really notice it too much. When my babies were little I nursed in public all the time, so I'm used to people looking at me!

scout52
08-03-2007, 02:37 PM
i've only been 30 for 2 months do i count?? i'm still having a crisis at turning 30.

but on a bright note. i was just told that someone thought that i was 17 and my mom was 30. :woot: she is 49 :woot:

Eloewien
08-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm 26 :) tho some days I feel much much older...

Jax3303
08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
sorry if this sounds rude, but this thread was started 2 years ago. Why was it bumped?

btw- I'm 25, I started knitting when I was 22. Nobody's ever really given me any gruff or rude comments about it.

hob
08-03-2007, 04:57 PM
21 and ppl tell my im uncool but so im sooo cool that it dont bother me lol.

Stiney
08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
My friends think it's weird that I knit, but not because I'm young (23 for another 16 days :teehee:) but because I knit. :teehee:

kblue
08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm under 30...24....wait am i 24... ya ya i'm 24:teehee:. With 2 kids i feel WAY older because i'm SUPER tired. I don't know anyone who knits....No friends no family. Everyone who i tell thinks its a little weird or old lady-ish. The weird part is that if i tell people i crochet its not that big of a deal but when i say i "knit" i get the shocked reaction :shock:.

rainberry
08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm 15. None of my friends knit and they don't know except for one who I showed my miniature socks to. She thought it was cool.

OkayKnits
08-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm 24. And non of my friends knit but they would like to receive knitted gifts.

ekgheiy
08-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm 13 and don't care what others think about me knitting. My friends and family don't knit, but they seem interested in what I am knitting sometimes. It doesn't bother me to talk about it. I am proud of my hobby and people seem to think it's cool that I love something that a lot of kids wouldn't think about doing.
Hoot hoot!!! Knit on, Knitta' !!! :woot:

Stiney
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
sorry if this sounds rude, but this thread was started 2 years ago. Why was it bumped?

btw- I'm 25, I started knitting when I was 22. Nobody's ever really given me any gruff or rude comments about it.

The person who bumped it wasn't here 2 years ago (neither was I, actually), and probably just didn't realize how old the thread was.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm 28, learned to crochet chains at 10, stopped until i was in my 20's..

I constantly get the "what do you do that for? that's for little old ladies".

jtauri1
08-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm 25 and when I told people that I was going to learn how to knit, they told me that it was cool. One night, I was sitting in the spare room with my husband while he was playing his video game and he asked me to show him how to knit. So, now he does it on the weekends. And my mom and my sister are both in line for headbands for Christmas.

NakedPancakes
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I am 15, and have been knitting for almost 2 years.
I have gotten teased before, but most people are like "Ooh, cool. Make me something!"

lizardknits
08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I am 21. My mom is a knitter too. Shes part of the reason that I got interested in it in the first place.

redheadrachel
08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm a 20 year old college student :happydance:

cds11
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I just started learning to knit this year, just a little before my 22nd birthday... I told my mom, and her reply was "Only old ladies knit" I told her "Well, the old ladies have to learn sometime, and I don't think they learn once they get old" (I know it is possible for some to learn later in life, but for some reason I have this feeling it's something they learned earlier and may not have had the time for or something). Anyways, she's ok with it now, especially seeing some of the projects I'm working on.

meearnol
08-04-2007, 11:42 PM
"Well, the old ladies have to learn sometime, and I don't think they learn once they get old"

I never really thought of that, but I'm TOTALLY going to use that as my rebuttal when people tell me that only old ladies knit. I'm 25, btw.

ADAllen
08-05-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm 24 and I haven't encountered anyone that thinks its weird that I knit. Though I do live on a college campus, and during the summer I don't encounter many people at all so maybe I'll hear more about it when next semester starts.

vmdeangelo
08-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I am 18 and i got the same looks from my friends but i would just laugh with them but i still love it...but then i have a cousin who is 14 and she is the person i talk to about all my exciting porjects as well as my aunt and my family!

Nobones
08-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm 28 and the only person I know that knits is 90 next week! (that's actually meet and know, not my cyber friends)

My hubby was at first ' heh up Grandma', but not any more, he is now very supportive.

I keep think about setting up a local knitting group, my hubby keeps saying I should. Maybe I will.

Bug
08-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Im 23, faairly new to knitting. Don't have many female friends anyway so I don't get picked on much. I don't care, because when it comes wintertime and people are wanting nice cosy scarves, I'll remember who prodded fun and who didn't ;-)

Naiisie
08-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm 16 and i also have a friend who is 15 (soon to be 16) who also knits. People do think its a bit weird that i knit but they've gotten over it, some even ask me to help teach them but they got really confused, i told them to practice bvut they'd rather not =] haha.

ishy
08-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm 32, but many of my friends my age are knitters and crafters. We're always bringing projects and new yarn to show each other when we get together.

(Naiisie-love the OHC avvie!)