PDA

View Full Version : FOUR clever things to do with your Interchangeable needles

amy
03-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Here's a few tricks I've (re-?)invented...

1) Use the "2 circular needles" method, with JUST the needles from your one Interchangeable needle set!

(What's the "2 circular needles" method? See Small Diameter Circular knitting, here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/).) Obviously you can't make 2 complete sets of circular needles of the same size, because that would require 4 needle tips of the same size, and you only have two in your kit. But what you can do, and this works JUST as well, is put the size needle you want to work with, on in the right hand side of each pair of circular needles. Mis-match the sets with a smaller needle on the left side. Because you're knitting ONTO the right size needle, in both cases, you'll have the correct gauge! The needle your knitting OFF of can be smaller, and it won't affect your gauge! In fact, if you're a tight knitter, this is a good idea anyway! ;)

2) If you're a tight knitter, you can make your tight stitches much easier to knit into! For circular knitting only. Just replace your left needle tip with a smaller needle size. If you're only knitting off of this needle, and not onto it, it won't affect your gauge, and knitting will be much easier.

3) Inserting a lifeline There's a big shortcut you can use with interchangeable needles, when you want to insert a lifeline (what's a lifeline? Video on this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) page). Instead of threading a tapestry needle with cord and running it through the stitches, you thread the Knitting Needle itself, and let it work the cord in as you knit! There's a little hole in the set (you know, that hole that the tightening tool goes into) that could have been designed for this purpose!! Even the Denise set has this hole.

4) Make i-cord by using your needle tips like DPN's. Definitely works well with the Boye set, not as sure about the Denise set. You just knit off the threaded end of the left needle; because that end tapers, it's easy. (Idea contributed by Urraca, below.)

I'm pretty sure I'm the first to come up with that lifeline idea. Seems like one that would have caught on by now if someone else had thought of it, don't ya think? Next thing you know they'll be drilling holes in straight needles so they can do this too! ...Hmmm, think I should patent this? :shock: :thinking:

KellyK
03-15-2005, 04:15 PM
:cheering: BRRRRRRRILLIANT! :cheering:

(Make sure you roll your R's while reading that...)

ladyindica2000
03-15-2005, 04:17 PM
ohhh... good ones Amy!!!

I have a Denise set and use them for all sorts of things.

1. I use them with the little end buttons to hold my work. I never need to switch needles and have not had to use a stitch holder yet.

2. I use the knitting needle cables to pick up dropped stitches. If I have to frog a piece, I pick up the stitches with the cable because it is so much smaller.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Trish

carollovesyarn
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM

1) You can do small-diameter circular knitting with the 2-circular needles method, using JUST the needles from your one Interchangeable needle set!

Thank you for this tip! I've always wanted to try this technique, but I don't have the $$ to buy two sets of my needles. I just got the Denise set for my bday - now I can't wait to try this!

I also thought that when a pattern calls for binding off loosely, I would try exchanging my Denise needle tips for the next largest size or even larger (though I have gotten used to the suspended stitch bind off).

Carol

amy
05-04-2005, 06:33 PM
NOTE: I've edited the 3rd idea! If any of you read this post originally, please read #3 again, this lifeline method is MUCH more versatile and exciting!

Amy

Silver
05-04-2005, 06:56 PM
http://easy.go.is/hubs/asylum/liebe053.gif You're a genius! http://easy.go.is/hubs/asylum/liebe053.gif
Thank you for the great tips! :)

brendajos
05-04-2005, 08:52 PM
well i came in here hoping to find things like "stab the guy in the eye who is makin' fun of you for knitting in the drive through"....*sigh*...i guess these are good too though ;)

amigarabita
05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
amy,

you should totally patent it. you clearly have the entrepreneurial spirit. combined with a creative flair! good for you!

Urraca
08-03-2005, 03:35 PM
I'll be glad to contribute another tip (it works with Boye's set, I'm not so sure it'd work with Denise's because of the shape of their needle tips).

Because of their almost symetrical shape I use Boye's needle tips to knit I-cord. It works perfectly. No need for DPNs sets in every single size just for I-cord.

I'd like to thank you for your great site. Except for knit and purl which I learned when I was 7, I have learned almost everything else from your site in the past months. I only understand 3-D; if it wasn't for your videos I wouldn't be knitting now. Thanks again, Amy.

amy
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Ah yes, I do that too! Knitting i-cord with my Boye tips. Didn't occur to me to put it on the list! Good thinking! :figureditout: I think I'll add that one!

Glad the site's so helpful to you Urraca!
:heart: Amy

Silver
08-03-2005, 05:28 PM
That almost makes me want to buy 2 sets of Boyes, just for all the dpns!
Almost. Great idea though!!

Kinda makes you wonder though... it would be brilliant for someone to make a set of interchangables, sizes 0 through 15, 2 sets each, with tips that ARE dpns as well! :heart:

amy
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
They're not long enough tips to practically function the way DPN's do in most cases, but they work great for i-cord, which only has a few stitches.

carollovesyarn
08-03-2005, 07:17 PM
You can still use Denises for I-cord with a short cable in between.

Knitcrazy
08-03-2005, 08:04 PM
:cheering:

I LOve My Denise needles!!!

Silver
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM
They're not long enough tips to practically function the way DPN's do in most cases, but they work great for i-cord, which only has a few stitches.
Oh I know. I was just fantasizing. *sigh*... Interchangeables that double as dpns. *sigh*

... in a perfect world...

rebecca
08-03-2005, 11:59 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: #3 about the lifeline....very BERILLIANT :thumbsup:

kemp
08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
I use the Denise's for DPN....not with the short cord though as someone mentioned. They are long enough for (some) i-cord without any extension.

carollovesyarn
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
I use the Denise's for DPN....not with the short cord though as someone mentioned. They are long enough for (some) i-cord without any extension.
I don't use the cord in between for the size - I use it so I can slide the I-cord to a tip to knit the next row.

Carol

kemp
08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
oh, like using 4 needles with each 2 connected to make 2 dpns that have a cord in the middle? Not sure exactly what you mean. Oh or maybe you just unclick the needle from one end of the cord and then put it on the other?

carollovesyarn
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
oh, like using 4 needles with each 2 connected to make 2 dpns that have a cord in the middle? Not sure exactly what you mean. Oh or maybe you just unclick the needle from one end of the cord and then put it on the other?
Well, the unclicking one needle from one end would work, but I meant I use 2 interchangeable needles and the cable as one would use circular needles to knit I-cord. I didn't mean I use the shortest cable, just like one of the shorter so you don't have to slide the knitting too much, but long enough so you can use both ends while they are still connected to the cable. Sorry if I was confusing!

kemp
08-04-2005, 04:34 PM
:) I'm with you now. That makes much more sense!

Vendie
08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
another use for your interchangeable needles???

SHOWING OFF HATS IN PROGRESS!

snephenie
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Ooh, is that pattern online?

KellyK
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
GREAT job, Wendie!

Vendie
08-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Ooh, is that pattern online?

unfortunately no, it's an Erika Knight pattern (I talk more about it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2887&start=30)). It's a very pretty pattern - I wish I could post the picture from the book, the baby wearing the bonnet is just so gosh darned cute!

jmdruadh
09-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I do #1 too (using two different sized tips to fake two circulars) on my Denise set. The only problem: I'm a fairly loose knitter, so I'm often using #5s, which is the smallest size you get in the Denise set.

pcaliguire
01-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I realize this is WAY after the fact, but thank you for those tips! I received the Denise needle set as a gift a few weeks ago and enjoy it, but I was wishing I had some DPNs to make I-cord with (as a relatively new knitter, I haven't yet moved into using DPNs, though I plan to soon), and now I can do it!

Also, I wanted to thank you, Amy, for your terrific videos! I am a lifetime crocheter and always struggled with knitting; I could DO it (knitting English), but didn't enjoy it and never sought to really improve my skills. After looking at your videos awhile back I decided to try knitting Continental style and everything finally clicked into place! I've been knitting up a storm ever since. So, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Regards,

Patricia :D

Wild Lotus
01-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I love using the cables as stitch holders. When I need to knit that part, I just snap my ends to the right cable. I especially love it because I tend to twist stitches or split the yarn when I use a traditional stitch holder.

Jan in CA
01-28-2006, 02:11 PM
So has anyone with Denises actually tried the lifeline trick? I would hate to try it and then have the tip come off in my work! :shock:

Quietheart
02-18-2006, 10:02 AM

1) Use the "2 circular needles" method, with JUST the needles from your one Interchangeable needle set!

(What's the "2 circular needles" method? See Small Diameter Circular knitting, here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/).) Obviously you can't make 2 complete sets of circular needles of the same size, because that would require 4 needle tips of the same size, and you only have two in your kit. But what you can do, and this works JUST as well, is put the size needle you want to work with, on in the right hand side of each pair of circular needles. Mis-match the sets with a smaller needle on the left side. Because you're knitting ONTO the right size needle, in both cases, you'll have the correct gauge! The needle your knitting OFF of can be smaller, and it won't affect your gauge! In fact, if you're a tight knitter, this is a good idea anyway! ;)
:

I have a question about this idea for you folks who have done it.
Because there is a smaller needle on one end, and you slide back and forth, won't you be knitting onto the smaller needles every other time?
Or are you stopping and changing needle ends?
I checked the video and saw that yes, you are working off one needle then the other.
I don't see that every time you are working off the right needle. It is once working off the right needle and next working off smaller needle.
Where am I confused?

Kath

KatyKoolkat
02-19-2006, 04:03 AM
*bump*

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Anyone??????

n0nnahs
05-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I read about this last night and have been trying it very successfully today (despite 4 false starts with the pattern, but that had nothing to do with this method!).

For those that asked about it in the above two posts, here's how you do it...

1. Makek up the two circulars with mis-matched needles (e.g. each cable has a no.4 and a no.5 on it)
2. Cast your stitches onto the correct needle - in this case a no.5
3. Move half your stitches onto the wrong needle of the second circular
4. Knit as normal with the two circulars (see Amy's video if you need to)

You will always have your stitches you are knitting on the smaller needle and those you just knitted will be resting on the correct size needle.

amy
05-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes yes, thank you n0nnahs for answering this, sorry we left you waiting Katy and Quietheart. It does work out when you do it. Quietheart, there is no working back and forth in this case, because your knitting in the round. This method is for knitting in the round when the piece is too small for the smallest cable.

n0nnahs
05-06-2006, 02:52 PM
3) Inserting a lifeline There's a big shortcut you can use with interchangeable needles, if you're doing lacework and want to insert a lifeline (what's a lifeline? Video on this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) page). Instead of threading a tapestry needle with cord and running it through the stitches, you thread the Knitting Needle itself, and let it work the cord in as you knit! There's a little hole in the Boye set (you know, that hole that the tightening tool goes into) that could have been designed for this purpose!! I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking you could slip the cord into the hole of the denise needle before locking it onto the cable. ...Hope that makes sense, what I'm talking about.

Okay I fully comprehend items 1 & 2 (and have put them to use), but I just can't get my head around this one! I pushed all my stitches from the right needle onto the cable and threaded the hole (I have the Boye set) with a piece of cotton and pushed my stitches back up. Of course this only worked for the few stitches that got caught up in it as I pushed them back over the hole. However, when I was knitting the next round, the thread got passed through and now there's a lifeline for most of that round. Problem is, I don't know how it happened!

Can anyone give me some better instructions on this?

Thanks,
-shannon

mulene
05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
well i came in here hoping to find things like "stab the guy in the eye who is makin' fun of you for knitting in the drive through"....*sigh*...i guess these are good too though ;)

:roflhard: my sentiments too ;)

Great tips, thank you Amy =D I am a tight knitter and the idea of switching tips sounds great :)

truenorth
06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
I don’t know what I would have done without Amy’s lifeline hint. I am such a clutz if I have to frog and then try to get the loops back on the needle properly. I drop stitches and get frustrated. So I routinely thread some contrasting lifeline yarn into my work every few inches or so. That has saved me soooooo many times! But sometimes the yarn leaves residue fibers so I was brainstorming trying to figure out if I could use heavy fishing line or….?? Then I ran into this thread and it just seems like a perfect idea to use the cable from the interchangeable needles! I have not seen either the Denise or the Boye set in person so am wondering which would be best for use as lifelining. Which one has the skinniest cable? Are the needle/cable joins smooth? Which one should I choose!? I am gaining quite a collection of Addi Turbos, which I love, so probably would use the Denise or Boye set mostly for the tricks in this thread…

Thanks for any thoughts ….

lynnea

jeanius80
06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
:happydance:i just finished knitting a hat, and used the two circ method amy mentioned. the needles i was knitting the hat on was 11 us. and the other size i added on to make two circs were 5s. it was no problem and didnt effect the way the hat looks at all.

kimmypooh
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, I just found this post and thank you for the great info!!

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 09:23 PM
:cheering: BRRRRRRRILLIANT! :cheering:

(Make sure you roll your R's while reading that...)

lol
yes good idea amy!

emstar915
03-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I may be a little slow, because I don't get what the point of the hole in the needle is in the third idea. I knit on interchangeables, so I really want to understand this.

redheadrachel
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Using them to put in a lifeline works like a charm! I used it for a lace shawl and it was FABULOUS. I think it's important though, if you're going to do this, to use TWO lifelines.

After you put the first one in, knit until you're where you would normally pull out and re-insert your lifeline. Instead of pulling it out, just keep the lifeline in and use a second one. When you get to the third lifeline spot, you can pull out the first lifeline, thread it through the tightening hole, and be on your merry way. That way if you mess up on the row where you're knitting in the lifeline, you still have a lifeline to fall back on. It'd be terrible if you were toward the end of your knitting and dropped stitches on a row where you were knitting in your lifeline, and had nothing to fall back on :hair:

Dangles
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tips, Amy :thumbsup:

AnnArrogance
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Using them to put in a lifeline works like a charm! I used it for a lace shawl and it was FABULOUS. I think it's important though, if you're going to do this, to use TWO lifelines.

After you put the first one in, knit until you're where you would normally pull out and re-insert your lifeline. Instead of pulling it out, just keep the lifeline in and use a second one. When you get to the third lifeline spot, you can pull out the first lifeline, thread it through the tightening hole, and be on your merry way. That way if you mess up on the row where you're knitting in the lifeline, you still have a lifeline to fall back on. It'd be terrible if you were toward the end of your knitting and dropped stitches on a row where you were knitting in your lifeline, and had nothing to fall back on :hair:
HA! That JUST happened to me knitting a Koolhaas for a friend. I took out my lifeline after the second repeat, started on the third repeat, and promptly screwed up horribly at the beginning of the round, which I didn't notice until I had started the next round. I had to tink back like 120 stitches because I was SOO afraid that I would never get all those little cables back in place if I ripped it back.

Anyway, great tips, all of them! I'm definitely using 2 lifelines from now on, and I can wait to try the lifeline trick with my Harmonies! And the I-Cord trick!

G J
03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Okay I fully comprehend items 1 & 2 (and have put them to use), but I just can't get my head around this one! I pushed all my stitches from the right needle onto the cable and threaded the hole (I have the Boye set) with a piece of cotton and pushed my stitches back up. Of course this only worked for the few stitches that got caught up in it as I pushed them back over the hole. However, when I was knitting the next round, the thread got passed through and now there's a lifeline for most of that round. Problem is, I don't know how it happened!

Can anyone give me some better instructions on this?

Thanks,
-shannon

You need to KNIT with the thread in the RIGHT needle. As you knit, the thread will follow the knitting and BE there when you finish the row!

sabrinasmom
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Great ideas!:yay: I want to knit cables in a scarf and am planning on using the lifeline ideas with my Denise.

ArtLady1981
03-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Many thanks Amy! :muah:

WandaT
03-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Wow!!!! GREAT ideas!!! Thanks so much!

Krisnbren
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Amy,

I just wanted to tell you how much I LOVE this site. I am on it for reason or another weekly!!! Your videos are so helpful!!!

Bless you and the work you do:)

Kristi

outdoordrea
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm the first to come up with that lifeline idea. Seems like one that would have caught on by now if someone else had thought of it, don't ya think? Next thing you know they'll be drilling holes in straight needles so they can do this too! ...Hmmm, think I should patent this? :shock: :thinking:

For the "concept impaired", would you go into more detail on how the hole in the needles helps with a lifeline?

Mike
11-06-2009, 11:52 AM
For the "concept impaired", would you go into more detail on how the hole in the needles helps with a lifeline?

You use them like a sewing needle. Thread the floss in the hole and the floss gets pulled through all the loops as you knit across.

outdoordrea
11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey thanks!

sophiestree
02-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Please excuse me if I am being really silly here because I really want to understand how to do your new suggestion for making a lifeline.

"Instead of threading a tapestry needle with cord and running it through the stitches, you thread the Knitting Needle itself, and let it work the cord in as you knit! There's a little hole in the set (you know, that hole that the tightening tool goes into) that could have been designed for this purpose!! Even the Denise set has this hole."

If you have all your stitches on a needle and want to make the lifeline when you say thread the knitting needle do you mean another one? And I just don't get the tightening hole bit either.

I feel really thick as everyone else totally gets it, so forgive me.

Look forward to hearing the reply though!!!!!

Thanks
Rachel
sophiestree, London UK

Lighting57
02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I haven't read all pages of this thread so if my suggestion has been mentioned, please forgive me.

I like to make my cast on, for top down socks, with a needle that is 1-2 sizes larger than the needle I use for the socks.

Example: With a size 4 options interchangeble needle (tip only - no cable attached) I cast on my 64 stitches. Be careful not to let them slip off either end of the one needle. I then take the size 2 needles with a long cable attached (because I work the magic loop method), place the pointed tip of one needle into the opening of the #4 and then slowly slide all of the cast on stitches onto this needle. I am then ready to procede with the making of my socks. :)

I don't like using dental floss as a lifeline. I use cotton crochet thread instead. It works well with the interchangeable needles. My problem is that I don't always remember to pull it out of the hole after I reach the end of the row I am working on. Otherwise, it does a great job. I also use as many as three lifelines. I leave 1-2 in place at all times.

ArtLady1981
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
...I don't always remember to pull it out of the hole after I reach the end of the row I am working on. Otherwise, it does a great job. I also use as many as three lifelines. I leave 1-2 in place at all times.

Same here! :thumbsup: I leave all my lifelines in place.
I install lifelines in the last 'resting row' of each repeat. These lifelines also serve as "repeat markers"!

sophiestree
02-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Lighting 57 thank you for sharing with me how you knit with socks - I think I understand that bit.

What I don't quite get is if you use a needle with thread through the hole of the interchangeable and knit across to make the lifeline, surely then you don't have any stitches on a cable to carry on knitting your new round. Or am I being to stupid it's not true!!!!

This is why I watch all of the videos on this site - I clearly need a lot of help 'getting' these things.

Thanks again
Rachel

newwooley
02-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Sophiestree, check out post #44 and 50. They might make what they are writing a little clearer. I hope it helps you.

Cheers

sophiestree
02-19-2010, 09:09 AM
newwooley - thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think I just need to try it out on something to see if it makes sense.

Could it be that I don't realise that you attach the thread through the hole and then put the cable back in - or is the idea that the extra cable becomes the lifeline.

I am really having a bad day understanding this but am so keen to work it out as I am knitting my first ever lace project right now and know that I should be protecting myself!

Thanks again

sophiestree
02-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I think I have found a video on YouTube about this.
My confusion was that I thought you were using a spare cable as the lifeline - Doh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8qzSaJnZA

I'm pretty sure this is what you are all talking about.

Thanks so much.
Regards
Rachel

AngelaR
02-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I think of the lifeline as my last saved place in a video game (yes, we're all gamers here. It saves tons of time if you have to frog and also counts (for me at least) as a row marker.

Ellieblue
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Question about #3. How do you work around stitch markers when using a lifeline? Do you just knit them in and start with a new set on the next row?

G J
02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I use stitch markers that are split rings and slide them off the lifeline.

sgtpam
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I think I have found a video on YouTube about this.
My confusion was that I thought you were using a spare cable as the lifeline - Doh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8qzSaJnZA

I'm pretty sure this is what you are all talking about.

Thanks so much.
Regards
Rachel

Thanks for the link...using the tape on the needle is a great idea...easier than trying to use a tapestry needle!

Belphoebe
02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all of the wonderful tips!

DebbieJ
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
:muah: Amy, Thank you so much for this! Until I read this, I wasn't even sure what a life like was. Now I do! :woot:

Debbie J
East Texas

RuthieinMaryland
04-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi! :waving:

This is so great! Thanks for getting it started, AMy!

I tried suggestion #3 just last night when I had to knit just about a foot of I'cord for a project. It was great. I pulled out two of my Knit Picks interchangeables and with the threaded end in my left hand and the pointed end in my right I just zipped along and was finished in no time! How cool!

Thanks again!

Ruthie