PDA

View Full Version : one ball of slubby yarn: what do you think?

VictoiseC
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi! I want to knit with WHITE YARN! I'm sick of colours.
I bought this incredible slubby yarn at a wool festival. Unfortunately I only got one skein.

I have some other creamy white yarn and maybe I can combine it but that will be a real challenge.

Did anyone see Daryl Hannah on the front cover of Vogue Knitting magainze, 2003 Fall? She has the most gorgeous thick slubby yarn vest on. This would be perfect if I could find more yarn like it.
They didn't print the pattern though, so I wrote them yesterday & asked for it.

Any thoughts on what else I could make with this? That would be beautiful? It's incredible stuff to work with, but it works up very wierd, thick in parts and then little thin parts. I dunnnnooooo.....

Jouf
03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Victoise, can't help, but what is that thing on the right of the yarn? It looks very interesting - the thing with the handle or something?

Jouf

VictoiseC
03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Those are my sweet little scissors. You can't tell? Were hair scissors, now they're yarn scissors.

beldaraan
03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Vic~

That's beautiful yarn!! I'm ordering some yarn (http://knittingzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?pName=soho-37507&osCsid=7cf695e55abcb0bac8515df37e466fc1) that is similar to that, except it has a lot of colours on it and it's not so "slubby". My hubby is not comfortable ordering online, so whenever I want a certain type of yarn, I go to my lys. Even if she doesn't have the colours that I want, I will look for a similar type of yarn and then go online to see if that company has the colour that I want.

Jouf
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Vic, not the scissors. It's to the right. Large base thing with handle sticking up.

???

Jouf

VictoiseC
03-22-2005, 07:20 PM
You're so funny Jouf, to have such curiosity! :D
It's just a little lamp, the top of which is very pretty coz it's stained glass pieces. ha ha

VictoiseC
03-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Pretty yarn beldaraan, I like the tangerine color.

Yeah, this stuff is WAY slubby, I never worked with it before. It's a challenge. I found a great magazine this afternoon, English, where a woman shows all these different ideas about combining yarns. I got a great idea from her.... knitting a dark brown sweater (or something else I suppose) and then just putting in a row of the slubby stuff every once in a while. You can also set it off, as she did
by surrounding the white piece with a red and tan, or whatever, makes it really stand out.

Jouf
03-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Vic - I can't help it. It comes naturally! I thought it was some kind of antique stamper of some sort, something exotic that I had to have! hehe

Thanks!

Curious Jouf - not related to George

beldaraan
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
I hope you don't mind Vic, but I saved a copy of your swatch. I want to bring it into my lys one day and see if she has something similar when I want to make a sweater with it. The ideas you mentioned are great! I was thinking along those lines myself. Or making a bulky cardigan with a different colour. So many ideas....

I would really love to see what you make with it.

I bought that yarn "because" of the tangerine colour. My lys had other colours that were similar, but none that had that beautiful tangerine. I am so happy that I have it sitting in my knitting basket right now :heart:

roxyquiksilver34
03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I just bought some slubby yarn just like that, but it was one of the Gedifra ones... can't find the yarn band right now LOL, but I'm making a chunky scarf with 1 strand of the thick stuff and a strand of Plymouth Glitterlash to mimic the Coney Island scarf in Stitch n Bitch. I'm scarf queen these days :doh:

VictoiseC
03-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Belderaan, course I don't mind! good. I love this type of yarn that is like, fresh off the sheep it seems, very natural. If I had lots of money, I'd knit up a big wall hanging or something, just to touch it.

I could do another scarf, but!

but it was one of the Gedifra ones... What's that roxy? Gedifra?

VictoiseC
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Ok, I guess I'm spending way too much time here but! I just wound up these yarns, center pull is coming real easy now thanks to Amy, and I thought they are so beautiful.... maybe I'll start doing pictures of yarn! (well, I do need a job...)

Oh yeah, there's that lamp!

roxyquiksilver34
03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
heh heh heh

it was Gedifra Sheela yarn in BLack.. very chunky & slubby

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/Gedifra/Sheela.asp

:XX: