PDA

View Full Version : double knit question

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I didn't want to take over salsa's thread....

I want to make a baby afghan with a regular garter stitch border (pink), then in the center I want to double knit so one side is solid stockinette the same color as the border, and the other side is my contrasting varigated "baby color" yarn in a basket weave pattern. Will this work? It won't be a reversible double knitting, and since I want both sides to be a "solid" color/yarn, I won't be knitting/purling with both colors on both sides; I'm afraid it won't hold together... but I was thinking I could remedy this by "tieing" like you would a quilt. :thinking: I might be better off knitting them both apart, and then seaming them together, but I *hate* putting pieces together, and for some reason i think this would take a lot longer. Am I making this more difficult than it is? I do that a lot :wall:

maybe i'll just make a hat :rollseyes:

KellyK
03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
I think you can do it with double knitting, Hilde.....here is my vision:

In the row before where you want the DK to start, increase every OTHER stitch with a M1 in the contrasting color. Then, on the next row, you can start knitting (or purling, depending on whether you are on the R or W side) with the CC in those sts.

Does that make sense to anyone? :??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Okay cool. Thanks KK, you rock! I finished the super long border last night, so I'm going to get started on the rest today. It might still end up being a hat though :D

KellyK
03-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Have faith, Hilde Darlin! :pray:

And, thanks...it has always been a personal goal of mine to ROCK. :cheering: