PDA

View Full Version : I'm Trying It!!

ekgheiy
03-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Howdy all,

I went to Salvation Army to try out this recycle sweater thAng! :D I bought a cotton sweater for $3.50 and I am now wrapping the sleeve into a center pull ball. :cheering:

I haven't given any consideration into what I will make with it, but that's okay ;) Any suggestions? :??

jessmoor
03-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi there! Do you wind as you rip, or rip it all and then wind it? I seem to have a tangling problem if its in too big of a jumbled pile, but what do you do if you're using a ball winder?

ekgheiy
03-27-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi there! Do you wind as you rip, or rip it all and then wind it? I seem to have a tangling problem if its in too big of a jumbled pile, but what do you do if you're using a ball winder?

I'm winding as I rip and I don't have any problems with tangling. I've never used a ballwinder though ...

ekgheiy
03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I measured my findings:

Back = 5.5 oz
Front = 5.5 oz
Sleeve = 3 oz
Sleeve = 3 oz

:happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Wow! a pound of cotton yarn for 3.50, plus a bit of time! That's great! It would have cost 25 bucks to get that much lion brand cotton ease...one 3.5 oz skein is nearly 5 bucks! and you wouldn't have learned anything in the process! yay for you! :cheering:

ekgheiy
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Wow! a pound of cotton yarn for 3.50, plus a bit of time! That's great! It would have cost 25 bucks to get that much lion brand cotton ease...one 3.5 oz skein is nearly 5 bucks! and you wouldn't have learned anything in the process! yay for you! :cheering:

I know ... aint it kewl ... 8-) If I had to classify its weight, I'd put it at sport weight b/c I don't think it's as thick as LB Cotton Ease. I think Cotton Ease is worsted, right? :?? I'd have to check. The strand is definitely not as thick as Lion Kitchen Cotton though.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Ahh yes, cotton ease IS worsted... well, anyway you still got an awesome deal. :D

ekgheiy
03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Ahh yes, cotton ease IS worsted... well, anyway you still got an awesome deal. :D

Yep ... now I have to hit ALL the Salva A's in the immediate area ... as soon as gas prices go down... :shock:

:rofl:

Rennagayle
03-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm a new knitter and about the time I learned of doing this, our only two thrift stores in town (SA & Goodwill) had already bagged up all their sweaters and sold them in grab bags. I remembered seeing them BEFORE I learned to knit. I made a mad dash back out there after reading about this nifty frugal idea, and both stores had completely depleted their sweater supply. I even remember when they were selling them 4/$1. Guess who's crying in their yarn? :crying:

ekgheiy
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I was thinking of making this (http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/shirt.htm) T-Shirt with my Frugal Findings. But (yes, you knew a "but" was coming) ... I'm not sure if I have enough yarn. So I need some opinions ... I know how many ounces my Frugal Findings are, but I don't know the yardage. Based on ounces, I think I have enough. However, according to the pattern, the T Shirt only requires roughly 11 oz of yarn. Does that sound right to you guys? :?? I compared my Frugal Findings to some stash Lion Cotton that I have. The Lion Cotton strand is just a little thicker than Frugal Find. Any thoughts?

I'm a new knitter and about the time I learned of doing this, our only two thrift stores in town (SA & Goodwill) had already bagged up all their sweaters and sold them in grab bags. I remembered seeing them BEFORE I learned to knit. I made a mad dash back out there after reading about this nifty frugal idea, and both stores had completely depleted their sweater supply. I even remember when they were selling them 4/$1. Guess who's crying in their yarn? :crying:

Aw Renna :( I'm sorry. Totally keep your eyes peeled though. You just never know when they'll have some sweaters coming in. ;)

Rennagayle
03-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Ekgheiy, I did get lucky yesterday at Goodwill. I discovered they are now hanging all the sweaters together on one short rack (his'n'hers) whilst on their way to future grab bags. There weren't many there, but I found a couple worthy of unravelling. I also found a few 100% wool one's (one was a Man's XL, no less) which, though they had "bad seams" (serged) which don't work well for unravelling, they should work great for felting.

I'm happy! :cheering:

I love that t-shirt, and aspire to some day be able to make it for my dd, but I know I'm not yet ready to tackle an intermediately rated project! :|

ekgheiy
09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Bump!

The winter will be here before you know it, so I thought I'd re-surface an oldy but goody for anyone in the market for a sweater project for this upcoming winter. Also check out this post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4675#4675) for low-down on recycling yarn. :thumbsup:

lisa e
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm glad to see this post! I have some things to drop off at the Goodwill and while I'm there I might as well do a bit of recon. Can't hurt to look.

ekgheiy
09-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm glad to see this post! I have some things to drop off at the Goodwill and while I'm there I might as well do a bit of recon. Can't hurt to look. No it certainly can't. ;) Have fun! Let us know what you find!

punkhippiemom
09-09-2005, 07:00 PM
OOOhh, I was trolling the other day at the Goodwill store that DH and I stopped in at on a whim...Most of the yarns - er, sweaters - that they had were funky novelty yarn or really ugly - but I am not losing hope, and I know I'm going back soon - w/my Christmas list in hand!!!

lisa e
09-09-2005, 11:34 PM
:shock: TOO much to pick from!! WOW......

There was wool, and wool blends and merino and cotton and cotton blends.

I brought home 9 sweaters. 30 bucks for enough yarn to fill a LARGE hefty bag. Most of it is either wool or a wool blend. The woman at the check out thought I had lost my mind when I told her what I was going to do with them! Then she saw the wisdom and the light bulb went off!

I'll definately be doing this again!

foldedbird
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Can you recycle yarn from a sweater that you've accidently felted? If not, what else can you do with it? I was thinking of giving it to the good will, but it's really uncomfortable to wear now...the sweater has shrunk in weird places...

meknitter
09-10-2005, 08:34 AM
I heard and seen (but never tried) that if a sweater shrinks (felted) that you can actually cut it up and it won't unravel. People say that they then use it to make... mittens (I've seen those - beautiful), pocketbooks, etc.

punkhippiemom
09-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Yup, you can cut it - I saw one person :?? wish I could remember where :?? Who had found a bunch of sweaters and purposely felted them, and then cut out the parts she liked and sewed them together in a blanket...

Ingrid
09-10-2005, 11:33 AM
You could also make a pillow out of it. I made my mother a sweater years ago that really was too snug for her so she sewed squares from the front and back and covered a pillow with it.

lisa e
09-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh I saw something cool too! I saw someone on a craft show on TV deliberately felt a sweater. Then she cut the back and front into squares. She then used the squares to cover her notebooks that she used as her kinitting journals. It would also work great for a photo album cover etc. She clipped a little window and edged it in a blanket stich on the front and inserted a photograph on the front of the album. Very cute!!

LisaD715
09-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I love that mitten idea.....I have to head to Goodwill...

ekgheiy
09-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I brought home 9 sweaters. 30 bucks for enough yarn to fill a LARGE hefty bag. Yay!!! :cheering: Oh, you are gonna have so much FUN!!! Yeehaw!!

dustinac
09-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm gonna try this too won't be this coming weekend but the following weekend before I can go but I'm anxious to see what they have.. might go yard saling too and see if they are selling sweaters for cheap :D

mintdee
09-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Sadly my husband has grounded me from the goodwill. last time I went to do some hunting I found that somebody had reduced their stash by a lot (!) and it was all priced at $2.00/bag (medium sized bag) I know have 5 of thoes large plastic tubs full of yarn. Yea, better stay away. :roflhard:

ekgheiy
09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Sadly my husband has grounded me from the goodwill. [...] Grounded? :shock: SShhh! Sneak out right quick .... we won't tell on ya ;)

mintdee
09-12-2005, 12:41 AM
HEhe making me feel like a kid :lol: "He'll never notice this bag of sweaters that are too huge for anyone in the family to wear!" :rofling: hubby would really think that I am crazy then. Taking apart sweaters for the yarn.

Ahhh the trials of people with YAS!

ekgheiy
09-12-2005, 11:22 AM
HEhe making me feel like a kid :lol: "He'll never notice this bag of sweaters that are too huge for anyone in the family to wear!" [...] Quick, hide'em under the bed. You can rip'em out in the privacy of the bathroom; no one will bother ya there. :mrgreen: hehehe

lisa e
09-12-2005, 10:24 PM
My DH is the ultimate enabler......he made me one of those skein winder measuring boards the instant I asked him to once I explained to him why I wanted/needed one. He thinks recycling yarn like that is a clever idea!

No......he's not for sale.............

mintdee
09-12-2005, 10:32 PM
he's not for sale.............

Does he teach classes for the inept husbands? ;)

punkhippiemom
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
:roflhard: @ mintdee...

Maybe just for rent??

ekgheiy
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
[...] No......he's not for sale............. You sure?? :thinking: I hear eBay is the place to be. :roflhard:

Ingrid
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[...] No......he's not for sale............. You sure?? :thinking: I hear eBay is the place to be. :roflhard:

You're confusing eBay with eBoy!!

lisa e
09-13-2005, 09:36 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: