PDA

View Full Version : if you could buy any, which needles would you buy?

kemp
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

As a beginner I am wondering what kind of needles I should buy. I am into quality over quantity and anything that would make knitting go smoother would be great. The first needles I bought were bamboo and they were ok, but I think maybe they are better suited to a different yarn. I also have plastic circular that I am using as regular needles (no join)...I read that as a tip somewhere, but I am not sure I agree. It seems a little cumbersome and also the transition from the join part to the needle catches. Any opinion on that?

kimmie
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
So much of it is just personal preference. I have so many different kinds of needles. My all-around most used and loved are my Denise Interchangeable needles. I have some Addy Turbo Circulars in the sizes smaller than my Denise set has & I love those too. I am a big fan of Clover bamboo double points for projects that call for those. I own a set of the Boye interchangeable needles now, due to a 50% off coupon at Michaels, but I've never even opened the package.
kimmie

kemp
03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Seems like the interchangeable needles are a pretty good idea...initally expensive but then you are set! Do yours seem to catch where the needle and cord join?

KellyK
03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I love my denise's, and they dont catch.

ekgheiy
03-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

As a beginner I am wondering what kind of needles I should buy. I am into quality over quantity and anything that would make knitting go smoother would be great. The first needles I bought were bamboo and they were ok, but I think maybe they are better suited to a different yarn. I also have plastic circular that I am using as regular needles (no join)...I read that as a tip somewhere, but I am not sure I agree. It seems a little cumbersome and also the transition from the join part to the needle catches. Any opinion on that?

If money weren't an issue, I would every size and length in circular Addi's. I've only worked with dpn once and I used Susan Bates; I have no complaints about them. But I haven't tried any other brand dpn, so I can't really say for sure. One thing I do know is that I would definately avoid wood. ;)

kemp
03-30-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks...are curcular addi's that much better than denise interchangable?

ekgheiy
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM
thanks...are curcular addi's that much better than denise interchangable?

I've not used Denise interchangables yet, but I have zero gripes about addis (except the price tag ;) but this a hypo situation, right? :D) Anyhoo ... I'm growing less fond of ordering things online and I haven't found Denise Interchange retail near me; so until I do, I highly doubt that I'll be trying them.

kemp
03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
at least somewhat hypo :) Why no shopping online??? I am in love with it! I think the only store I actually go to anymore is the grocery (oh, and hobby lobby). I would do grocery online too, but they don't have it in my area! :(

ekgheiy
03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
at least somewhat hypo :) Why no shopping online??? I am in love with it! I think the only store I actually go to anymore is the grocery (oh, and hobby lobby). I would do grocery online too, but they don't have it in my area! :(

I like the variety of online ordering, but I'm too frugal :eyebrow: for those shipping and handling charges. (Let's not forget having to WAIT for delivery.) And then there's the hassle of exchanging and returning if either are needed. I also use a PO Box exclusively and *some* online vendors won't ship to POBs, so *sometimes* there are additional charges associated with POB deliveries. I especially loathe it when companies tell me they ship via UPS and they "can't" ship to POBs. That's entirely correct; while UPS cannot physcally deliver to a POB, they can ship packages to a local UPS port. The port then mails a little slip to the POB telling me to pick up my package at XYZ port (or, of course, call Customer Service to provide a physical address for delivery). I always pick up ;)

The S&H charges are the main reason I don't like it. Once S&H is tacked on, there really isn't *that* much of a savings. Some websites have those offers for free S&H if the order is over $??.??. Seven times out of ten, I can't afford that minimum at a specific given time. :rollseyes: I'm also a "touchy feely" shopper, so I sometimes save up to those minimums and order some stuff that I've already touched and felt in retail shops. What a process I go through ... :wall: ;)

kemp
03-30-2005, 02:32 PM
probably a good habit anyway...way too easy to shop from the comfort of your chair! I did notice however that when I went to the site that Amy posted knitpicks.com, you get free shipping after $30...they also had inexpensive wool...1.79/100gm I think??? No idea if they ship to p.o box though. That is a pain I'm sure, but much safer from identity theft that way!

1to1
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I bought the Boye Circular Kit and was happy with them except for them coming unscrewed...THEN I got an Addi Turbos circular. They are wonderful.

Now I am buying them whenever I need a new size. My 9 yo DD :XX: got one for Easter.

They are pricey but definitely worth it. Thankfully my LYS sells them.

kemp
03-30-2005, 03:20 PM
I just checked ebay and they seem to be going from $10-20...what is "normal" retail for Addi turbos?

kimmie
03-30-2005, 03:23 PM
The Denise interchangeable needles don't catch, nor do the Addi's. The Denises only go down to size 5 though, so below that, I buy the Addi's. The Denises are a tremendous value & they are sooooo lightweight. Also they are airline approved, if you fly at all.

The Denises are incredibly easy to snap together too & they stay secure. I've never had one "un-snap" or anything. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

I guess you really asked for a comparison of the Denises & Addi's...I like the feel of both of them very much, even though the Addi's have a metal feel & the Denises are a lighter, resin material. The two together meet all of my knitting needs, except for the double pointed needles & then I'm a fan of Clover bamboo.

Let me say though that for years & years I knit with whatever needles I could get at Walmart or wherever and they worked just fine. As I get older and have a little more arthritis and a little more money, I get pickier.
:) kimmie

ekgheiy
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
I just checked ebay and they seem to be going from $10-20...what is "normal" retail for Addi turbos?

It depends on the size. I think the smaller sizes/diameters start at about $14 or so a pair (I don't have any smaller sizes, so I'm guessing), while the larger sizes get as high as $26 a pair.

kemp
03-30-2005, 03:27 PM
hehe...my arm is already getting sore, and I've only been knitting a week! Sooo...I am all for the lighter even if they cost a bit more. I am a golfer too, so I am use to equipment prices! :) I think you are right in the value on the Denise set...sounds like that might be the "solution" for me.

Jouf
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
1to1 - perhaps you need to use the little metal stick with a round end on one and the little rubber round thing to tighten your joins on the Boyes.

I had a problem with them coming apart too until I learned it was operator error! I put metal through the hole in the cable and hold while turning needle with rubber thing. If you have a join in cable - then use a metal thing in both sides and turn them opposite.

Never had a problem after that!

Jouf

feministmama
03-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I admit it. I'm a snob. If I could only use bamboo I would. I just can't affford it so I have lots of different things. Addis work good for more itchy wool or thicker yarns. The onlly thing I don't like is they feel cold in cold weather.

Julie
03-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm knitting with bamboo for the first time this week....can any experienced bamboo knitters tell me if the smell goes away? I like the feel but my hands smell so woody, it's kind of icking me out. :shock:

1to1
04-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Jouf, I did tighten them often--don't get me wrong I did like them. I just like the feel of the Addi's they are soooo smooth.

kimmie
04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Julie,
I haven't ever noticed a smell to my bamboo double points. I can only think of two possible reasons why you are smelling them...either your sniffer works better than mine does, or you are using a different type of bamboo needles. I have only used Clover, so I don't know about other brands.
kimmie

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I didn't notice that my bamboo needles even HAD a smell until after I quit smoking! I like the smell, but that's just me. Try rubbing your hands with a silver spoon after you use them, that might help.

kemp
04-01-2005, 04:39 PM
I got the Denise interchangeables...very happy! :) I finished my first project on them...a felted purse on the size 13 in the round! Posted the pic under the "finished products" thread. I am pretty happy with it overall.

I think I try the addi turbos when I need a size bigger than 15. I saw them in my lys yesterday and they are pretty cool!

Thanks for the advise ladies! Denise needles rock!

MommaBear
04-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I would like to buy the Addi needles! =)
If I could pick anything that is =)

oshnpashn
04-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I LOVE bamboo needles. Straights, circs, DPNs. They feel so wonderful in my hands and there's no worry of the yarn sliding off. I've tried aluminums, tension was WAY too tight for fear of losing stitches :doh: Plastic just plain ole' yuck in my hands. The Addi Turbos scare me!!

kimmie
04-02-2005, 12:29 AM
[quote="kemp"]I got the Denise interchangeables...very happy! :) I finished my first project on them...a felted purse on the size 13 in the round! Posted the pic under the "finished products" thread. I am pretty happy with it overall.

I am so glad that you are happy with your new needles! I checked out your purse picture and love it!
kimmie

SimplyKaar
04-04-2005, 05:04 PM
I got the Denise interchangeables...very happy! :)

Thanks for the advise ladies! Denise needles rock!

On a side note:
I just found an add on a Dutch sales website offering these secondhand eventhough they seem to be hardly used and still in their original box. I was wondering what they cost in the USA... to compare and see if what they are asking here is a reasonable price.
They ask about 60 euros; which comes down to about 77 US dollars...

wildforyarn
04-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Do the Addi's have an interchangeable set like the Denise or Boye's? I think that this would be a good investment, but I would like to really compare the two or three interchangeable sets before purchasing one of them. Thanks.

Contiknitter Kelly
04-04-2005, 06:09 PM
If i'm not too late here's my 2 cents.
Get the Boye interchangables they work great, they've got more needles than the Denise, they're light & slick and they sell them at Micheals and Joanne's so you can use either of the 40 o/o off coupons. So take off 40 0/0 off of $69.00 and what does that leave ya? 'bout 40 bucks maybe?
Can't beat that.

Kelly

carollovesyarn
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm knitting with bamboo for the first time this week....can any experienced bamboo knitters tell me if the smell goes away? I like the feel but my hands smell so woody, it's kind of icking me out. :shock:I had some Crystal Palace DPs that smelled like coffee and were actually the color of coffee, which made me wonder if that was what they had been colored with. I really liked them. They were much smoother than the Clover bamboo DPs, and cost more too. And now they have disappeared. Very odd. What brand are you using that smell?

Carol

Julie
04-04-2005, 07:45 PM
You know, I am using Clovers, but the smell has disappeared! I guess I just needed to break them in. :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 09:33 PM
LOL! the yarn musta soaked up all the stank!

Sara
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Or it was the yarn...my Manos del Uruguay smells rank, very vinegary. I can't wait to finish so I can clean it.

carollovesyarn
04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Or it was the yarn...my Manos del Uruguay smells rank, very vinegary. I can't wait to finish so I can clean it.Some mftrs are notorious for not completely rinsing after dyeing. :P

carol

Miss Suzie
04-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi, I've only been knitting for one year, I have tried differnt types of needles
but I always come back to my Crystal Palace Bamboo needles. They are great, smooth and I like the feel of them...not cold burrrr. I very seldom have trouble with the yarn slipping off the needle while I'm using them. And they don't make that nasty click, click, clicking sound like if you were finger nail bitting as do the metal ones. That sound seems to bother my family when I am knitting and watching a good movie with them.