PDA

View Full Version : So what patterns/techinques would you like to see?

midnightskyfibers
04-01-2005, 05:07 PM
I keep hearing this froma lot of people, "i love to knit, but its hard to find patterns in "x" yarn or "x" technique that are tasteful/meant for younger knitters/modern/etc". anyone else keep hearing this? Ive gotten a couple emails lately from people who wanted to know (after they herd about the kits i was designing) if i would be making a modern version of the clutch in a beginner freindly pattern, etc. so heres the question:

what would you like to see that doesnt seem to exist on the web?

other things ive heard a lot of:
-purses that arent felted/worked flat and sewn together (clutches esp)
-tasteful/more modern fairlisle for golves and bags
-intrasia that isnt just animals
-new versions of cables that are easy to do but not "frumpy" (im guessing people mostly mean sweater patterns here, though ive heard the complaint for purses too since a lot of cable patterns on purses are a bit dated)
-fairisle glove patterns in more unusual/non standard designs
-beads & knitting

Annette
04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Hello,

I'm a new knitter and am trying to make a sweater for a big one year-old -- probably the size of a 1 unto 2-year-old.

I have a pattern for a 1-year-old -- is there a way of increasing the number of stitches to customize the pattern for a big baby?

Also, I'm just interested in a site that has the dimensions in cm's or inches of normal sizes (1 year-olds, 2 year-olds, and so on).

Have you got any suggestions? :D

Annette

midnightskyfibers
04-02-2005, 02:53 PM
i know knitty has a pattern for adults where you make a sweater based on your measurements, and that it wasbased of a version of a kids sweater also on knitty (knitty actually has a bunch of cute kid patterns)

i think standard sizing doesnt really exist in the knitting world, its up to most designers. This website: http://www.yarnstandards.com/sizing.html has some good general guidlines though (scroll to the bottom and click shild to see the actual charts)

I wishi had a reason to design kids clothes but i donthave any kids :)

Julie
04-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Annette, this is kind of a funny way to do it, but I used a pattern for a one year old, but used a chunky yarn instead of worsted, and it came out the perfect size for my almost-two-year-old. The pattern I was using had multiple sizes, though -- I just followed the directions for the small size, but checked the measurements listed for the larger size.

(Loooove this pattern...lol, I should put it in my sig, the way I keep raving about it. The basic rollneck sweater pattern from Knitting for Baby (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584790873/qid=1112468514/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3268190-2986260?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).) :thumbsup:

Annette
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Julie,

Thanks for the suggestion on worsted wool -- however, the yarn I have is actually thinner (rather than thicker) than the yarn I used before. I just want to use it up! :thumbsup:

So maybe I'll just wing it -- and measure as I go.

If you hae any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Annette

Annette
04-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Julie,

Thanks for the suggestion on worsted wool -- however, the yarn I have is actually thinner (rather than thicker) than the yarn I used before. I just want to use it up! :thumbsup:

So maybe I'll just wing it -- and measure as I go.

If you hae any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Annette

KellyK
04-03-2005, 10:08 AM
There are not enough patterns for AMPLE sized women. ESPECIALLY ones that are not big boxes. I DO have a waistline, you know!

cheesiesmom
04-08-2005, 09:02 PM
I also wish I could find more plus size patterns. Just sweaters, tanks, etc, but in REAL women's sizes for us Rubenesque gals. I'd like to knit something for myself besides afghans. I did find one book at Joann's with a variety of sweaters, but they were all done up in homespun which I have mixed feelings about.

Jivewhistle
04-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I agree with bag patterns that AREN'T felted. Nothing against the felted ones though.

I would :heart: love :heart: to see a whole website dedicated to making bags and NOT old lady bags. I think just a general FAQ on design and purse making would be very helpful to other (new) knitters like myself. OoOoO and a forum on there would be cool too. One day if I ever figure this whole purse thing out, maybe I'll make a site..lol.

And there definately is not enough web resourses for beads and knitting which would also be cool.

midnightskyfibers
04-08-2005, 10:42 PM
im in the middle of writing up a pattern for a bag that can be felted or not thats knit on flat needles that has...i think they are called gussets- thats what they are in sewing anyways. I was trying to design a bag the had some simple shaping that could be easily modified but was knit on straight (ok so i used a circ, since thats what ws with me at the time) needles, but looked like a bag knit in the round.

(now if only i hadnt just thrown it in the wash before i took pics...opps! sorry. but i really do like felted bags...i just hate knitting them so huge- i always feel like "wow whered all my knitting go O.o after its felted!)

large sweaters- i know! and a lot of the patterns that exist dont seem like they would be flattering. though i think these look pretty cute:
http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htmand the new knitty looked like it had a tank top with some sizing options here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTw.html

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
There are not enough patterns for AMPLE sized women. ESPECIALLY ones that are not big boxes. I DO have a waistline, you know!

AMEN SISTA!!!!!!!! Have you seen this thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622&highlight=bbw+pms) posted by yours truly back in February? I have found some other resources... and i DO have a BBW sweater booklet (KK i'll let you borrow it when we get together!). I hate the boxy look too, and I hate the mumu look even more, and the tent look most of all :wall:

KellyK
04-09-2005, 12:10 AM
See....that's the thing. What about SBW with Football player shoulders? IM A FREAK, I SWEAR! :(

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-09-2005, 01:01 AM
nah you're not a freak... just "special"

KellyK
04-09-2005, 10:02 AM
:blush:

tinkercat
04-29-2005, 01:12 PM
More Plus sizr would be Great! I find patterns i LOVE, but they are not in my size! I think there should be more cool patterns for plus size up to a size 4x I think, but thats me. I love tank tops i do not care how big i am i love them , and turtlenecks , and hoodies, there are a lot of cool things i would love to see in plus.

Vanessa :thumbsup:

cheesiesmom
04-30-2005, 02:21 PM
More Plus sizr would be Great! I find patterns i LOVE, but they are not in my size! I think there should be more cool patterns for plus size up to a size 4x I think, but thats me. I love tank tops i do not care how big i am i love them , and turtlenecks , and hoodies, there are a lot of cool things i would love to see in plus.

Let's hear it for tinkercat!! I totally agree. Retailers seem to think anyone over a size 16 doesn't exist. I have money and I spend!!!

jessmoor
05-02-2005, 01:33 AM
The thing that really got me back into knitting was finding the prospect of making clothes for myself that I can't find in any store, anywhere. I'm just not motivated to make clothes that I can easily find in a store (I doubt I'll ever make socks, unless they're gifts). I have unusual style preferences that I'd like to put into practice more! I really like medieval dresses, the super-old fashioned look of tight vests over loose shirts, wearing short skirts over pants (or shawls tied around my waist)... to name a few examples. ;) But most of the time I just wear plain t-shirts and pants because that's all I have! :lol:

Anyway... I'd love to see more patterns for unusual, creative things that are NOT mainstream (specifically, I recently fell in love with a floor-length, fitted, vest-like thing made of a cool gold mesh material that I saw in a Stargate episode, that was worn over tight pants -- like I'd ever find anything like THAT in a store :rollseyes: )

rebecca
05-02-2005, 02:05 AM
I, too, am a beautiful, :heart: able, ample woman that would love to see lovely patterns that r easy, too, I'm afraid that I've not yet made my 1st garment...but I'm a fast learner...so I want to see very now, very cool, very sexy, tho covered for our loveable, voluptuous selves!!!
:cheering: :cheering: I just bought plus size knits...nice book, but many of their plus sizes are 1x...paalease!! yes..next summer i will be back to my normal fighting/limping weight...but it ain't ever gonna be anything but amply, voluputuously ample....(how'd that sound, girls?! :roflhard: )
And...altho...it's on the internet, I'm sorry, but I've not yet understood it...and I :heart: :heart: :heart: the look, and that's entrelac...I want to learn entrelac
Okay...I think I put my 2 cents (and many, many more it) worth in the conversation
later

tinkercat
05-02-2005, 08:20 AM
I too bought a plus size book and your right 1x and 2x are the plus size...what about 3x 4x.....for the bigger girls! I like 3x because i do not like anything tight on me! I wear a 2x in all my cloths and sometimes depending on the way made 1x. But PLEASE!! I have a yarn store about 45 min from me that the owner has told me if i need help converting into a larger size she will help me !!! So i am looking for the right thing so i can make me something cool! :thumbsup:

:hiding:

punkhippiemom
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I have unusual style preferences that I'd like to put into practice more! I really like medieval dresses, the super-old fashioned look of tight vests over loose shirts, wearing short skirts over pants (or shawls tied around my waist)... to name a few examples.
Jess, I found a great pattern in this knitting magazine (?? I can't even remember which one, I'm pathetic :oops: ) for a vest that you do in 3 pieces, w/no finishing... the front and sides are tied w/ribbon like a corset... I don't think it was in a plus size, but it shouldn't be that hard to modify... Let me look for it and see if there's a version online for ya...

As far as what I'd like to see more of... Maternity patterns - also in plus sizes- I've been drying out my eyeballs trying to find something for my sister, and all I've found assumes a skinny woman got pregnant, not one who's already had 3 kids and thought for sure she was done and gave away all her clothes... LMAO but I digress...

I'd also love to see more stuff for men... if it's not a cable knit sweater (or sweater vest) it's just not available. My husband has a rather trendy style, and all the sweaters I've asked him about he turned up his nose at... plus I'd like to see some men's pants, loungers, boxers, etc... If I don't find something soon, he may be getting a warmer for Xmas!

So I found that pattern, it's the "laced peplum vest" from creative knitting magazine, but they don't post the patterns on their website grrr you can at least check out the picture...http://creativeknittingmagazine.com/pages/features_details.php?_id=28

tinkercat
06-08-2005, 06:03 PM
If anyone wants to try some plus size patterns here is a site....ampleknitters.com enjoy!!!

vanessa :XX:

RachelG
06-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Actually, it's:

http://www.ample-knitters.com/

:D

carollovesyarn
06-15-2005, 02:27 AM
I'd like to see more spring/summer clothing for men. I want to make my dad something out of cotton, short sleeved (he doesn't like vests), but I can't find anything to wear further south than the arctic circle (KWIM?). He likes the 'retro'-classic looks, but most patterns seem to be for ski enthusiasts.

Anyway, that's the pattern search at the top of my list right now.

Jouf
06-15-2005, 09:31 AM
In Knitting Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman there is a polo-type short-sleeved shirt that looks pretty nice.

carollovesyarn
06-15-2005, 08:18 PM
In Knitting Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman there is a polo-type short-sleeved shirt that looks pretty nice.Oh thanks - I don't have that book (yet), but I just put it on my list to check out.