PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge: APRIL--Knit something knotty

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-02-2005, 02:46 AM
:figureditout:
Okay, new fun KAL! :cheering: I thought it would be fun to see how each of us uses our creativity.... and also help those of us (me) who suffer from knitter's block!

I'm going to be heading this up every month, and the best part is that you can do it in conjunction with any other project you're already working on! (so none of this "but I'm already doing something, can we start later" stuff) You can also create a totally new project if you want.

Here's how it will work: each month, I will give you a challenge. Your mission is to interpret that challenge, knit it, and take a pic to submit on that month's thread in the KAL forum. How you do it it totally up to you!
So, I thought the Beldie/KK pun on "knotty-naughty" was cute, so your challenge this month is to knit something "knotty"... anything you do that is knotty will fulfill the challenge; I knitted an i-cord, and tied it in a knot for an example (will post pic in the AM with my *new* digicam!!). Maybe you are knitting a sweater--add some celtic knot fair isle to the cuffs. Maybe you're Beldie :shock: and you have the perfect edible underwear pattern you want to try. Think of how you can add something knotty to your current project, or come up with something new, and then post/link to your pics when you're finished.

I got this idea from Beadwork Magazine, where they have a column each month on beading "something"... one month is was "bead something edible" and people sent in phots of a beaded BLT, beaded eggs, a beaded ketchup bottle... someone "beaded" a bikkini out of twizzler bits and lifesavers. Here's a link (http://www.interweave.com/bead/beadwork_magazine/Bead_Boy_Gallery/Bead_Boy_10_04.asp), if you're interested.

SO, get those needles going people! If you have any ideas for future months let me know!

[Hildie asked me what I thought of this idea, and I said "Sounds Awesome!" I told her she could head this up as an official "KH Monthly Challenge." Thanks Hildie! ~Amy]

midnightskyfibers
04-02-2005, 03:58 AM
this sounds awesome (and another cool place that does this is lj's fiber friday), though i liek the idea of a topic a month since weekly is hard to keep up with O.o

(anyone here up for some "strip knitting" for this one? :))

Nuno930
04-02-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm in! I need practice on an I-cord so I may steal that idea! Good job on this KAL, I love it :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
okay! here's my something knotty. Simple, silly, has no other uses. but YOUR "something knotty" can have lots of uses; it's all about being creative! (i should go on QVC or something)

KellyK
04-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Sounds like it might be time for a WEENIE WARMER!!! *rubs hands together* :twisted: hee hee hee...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2005, 10:37 PM
funny you should mention that... as i was finishing the icord, DH came in the room and asked me what i was doing; I showed him the 2-foot finished product, and he said "oh great, I wondered when you were going to finish my warmer... you'd better add a few more stitches though" :rollseyes:

amy
04-04-2005, 10:54 AM
... as i was finishing the icord, DH came in the room and asked me what i was doing; I showed him the 2-foot finished product, and he said "oh great, I wondered when you were going to finish my warmer... you'd better add a few more stitches though" :rollseyes:

:rofling: :rofling: :rofling: Hildie, that's soooo funny.

Okay ladies, fasten your seatbelts. Innocent Amy here has been working on something QUITE Knotty. And I even started it before this month's Challenge was announced.... Ready?!

I'm designing a pattern for a set of "Garter-belt Pockets." Elegant thigh-warmers that are suspended by a garter belt, and have pockets to hold your Cell phone & other small essentials, totally hidden so they won't show a bulge when wearing a skirt. The best part is, when your cell phone rings, you get to reach up your skirt to grab it! :eyebrow:

They're very pretty, if I do say so myself. Innocent white, with a lacy top edge. When I can figure out how to post a picture tastefully, I'll do it!! They're nearly done!

Amy

Nuno930
04-04-2005, 11:41 AM
OOOOHHHH Amy is getting pervey on us! :cheering:

*sniff* I just feel like my little girl is growing up.

Ok really though... those sound soooooooo cool! I would be all over that!

KellyK
04-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Okay ladies, fasten your seatbelts. Innocent Amy here has been working on something QUITE Knotty.
I've always thought that it's the ones who appear most innocent that have the WILDEST fantasies running through their heads!!! :eyebrow:

:happydance: YOU GO, AMY GIRLFRIEND!!!! :happydance:

kemp
04-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Okay ladies, fasten your seatbelts. Innocent Amy here has been working on something QUITE Knotty. And I even started it before this month's Challenge was announced.... Ready?!

I'm designing a pattern for a set of "Garter-belt Pockets." Elegant thigh-warmers that are suspended by a garter belt, and have pockets to hold your Cell phone & other small essentials, totally hidden so they won't show a bulge when wearing a skirt. The best part is, when your cell phone rings, you get to reach up your skirt to grab it! :eyebrow:

They're very pretty, if I do say so myself. Innocent white, with a lacy top edge. When I can figure out how to post a picture tastefully, I'll do it!! They're nearly done!

Amy You definitley have to post that! Modesty be damned. :blush: Seems like a really fun project.

beldaraan
04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I guess it's inevitable that you would find a post by me in this thread ;)
I also have three other projects (plus a fourth that is a wip) to finish first.

I am also still brainstorming for ideas. Good thing there's no time limit to this kal.

When I can figure out how to post a picture tastefully, I'll do it!!
Wear thick tights underneath and that should be decent enough.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2005, 01:32 PM
the only time limit is that a new challenge will be posted in may. (but you can still do this one too, I don't care!)

Amy, how VERY daring of you... I'm interested to see how people would react when your butt rings and you reach up your skirt to answer it :shock:

KellyK
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm interested to see how people would react when your butt rings and you reach up your skirt to answer it :shock:
And, for goodness sake, BE CAREFUL if you feel you want to HANG UP on someone in a fit of rage!! *wince*

Sara
04-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Do they still sell stretch pants? This I have to see... :rofling:

Puts a new spin on the phrase "Talking out your *ss."

carollovesyarn
04-04-2005, 06:11 PM
I can just see it if you were to keep spare change in the pocket. Ka-ching!

foldedbird
04-05-2005, 11:15 AM
This is hilarious. Still waiting to see Amy answer her butt...

BTW, If you were sitting down in a chair, and slouched the thigh high down a bit it wouldn't be tooooo revealing.

Alice
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi All,
Had such fun reading this post and all the replies! My dearly beloved SIL once convinced me to knit some weenie warmers to sell In her home town of Manhatten for Valentines Day. So of course I uesed lots of hot pink, purple, red and black. I think I knit about a dozen during which time I heard many 'cracks' from my all male (hubby and sons) observers about size, not only length but one son suggested that if I made one for him I'd need to add "lots more stitches" to the cast on!! Boys are just so funny about their things ;) Anyway...darn if my SIL didn't ask a friend who has a street booth to put the warmes on display and sold them all!!!!
What a hoot!!!
Happy knitting, Alice

KellyK
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Guess what THIS is gonna be!!!!
:eyebrow:

carollovesyarn
04-07-2005, 04:32 AM
sweetheart mittens?

Carol

foldedbird
04-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Bikini top for a lopsided 3-breasted woman?

KellyK
04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
:rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:
Nope and Nope!

foldedbird
04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
OK, what is it?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Siamese triplet hats?

KellyK
04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Has no one noticed the picture's file name???

Silly peeps.

SimplyKaar
04-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I so need to make one of those; my boyfriend has been joking about me knitting him something to keep his "crown jewels" warm after he has seen pictures of the knitted thongs and garterbelts and such...

Kelly: is the one you're doing hard to do for a beginner knitter?

KellyK
04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Nah....it's not hard. Check THIS THREAD (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1154) for more info, Brooke & I have been offering each other support as we knit together.

KellyK
04-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Il est fini!!

Is this not the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen in your life?? :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Yay! another something knotty complete! I *love* that it has a knot where the straps attach... and that it's very very very knotty :twisted: you get the double knotty award!

KellyK
04-08-2005, 08:35 PM
it's very very very knotty :twisted: you get the double knotty award!

:crying: *snif*
I'd like to thank all those at KnittingHelp.com who supported me through the trials and tribulations of knitting this weenie warmer....without you, I could not have accomplished, nor would I have had the incentive even to begin, this important project.

I have a special appreciation for Brooke, who inspired me...
and to Hilde and the others who laughed along with me.

*music starts playing*

I cant leave this stage without thanking my Dear Husband Al, who I know will put the thing on once just to humor me, and then sneak it into the bottom of his sock drawer, but will never throw it away...just because I made it for him.

THEY LIKE ME! THEY REALLY LIKE ME!!!! :cheering:

foldedbird
04-08-2005, 09:04 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

lmao...applauding wildly... don't forget to post pics on the Y! group. :P

perced
04-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Il est fini!!

Is this not the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen in your life?? :rofling:

Pretty much. More funny to see someone putting it on though. Wouldn't it be itchy?

Can't wait to see Amy's project.

KellyK
04-17-2005, 10:32 AM
NOOOOOOOOOo not itchy....its lovely soft chenille! ;)

Sara
04-17-2005, 10:42 AM
*sara sticks index fingers in ears, covers eyes with other fingers and whispers to herself*

safe place, safe place, safe place, safe place, safe place, safe place

KellyK
04-17-2005, 12:44 PM
:rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

It's okay, Sara....we are all healthy consenting adults here!! :thumbsup:

perced
04-17-2005, 01:36 PM
My hubby was totally freaked out when I sent him to some of the examples that were linked in the other thread. He couldn't believe anyone would wear one. I told him he would if he were cold enough.

Nuno930
04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
My husband told me if I made him one could it please be in the fun fur so it could be soft and... well I think I'll end the conversation there

KellyK
04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
What, TICKLEY, Nik??? :rofling:

Im still waiting to see all the OTHER KNOTTY OBJECTS!

*Kelly cups hands at sides of mouth*
:o
AMY...............GARTER POCKET, PLEASE!!!!

anise
04-19-2005, 12:05 PM
oh my god, that weenie warmer is hilarious. i snorted my coke when i saw that.

Nuno930
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
i snorted my coke when i saw that.
Just say no :eyebrow:

amy
04-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Denise, I thought it was a three-breasted bikini top too! :rofling:

KellyK, OMG you had me rolling with your "Award Acceptance Speech." :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

Okay, it's coming, it's coming! The garter pocket is coming!....

Get this, y'all, I actually got a mannequin, my very own mannequin!, to model the garter pocket for y'all! (I got it through FreeCycling, of all places! ...and she's gorgeous!)

Stay tuned....
Amy

KellyK
04-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Denise, I thought it was a three-breasted bikini top too! :rofling: Amy

Did I mention that I grew up next to a nuclear power plant? :shifty:

AMY, WE HAVE TO HAVE A "NAME THAT MANNEQUIN" CONTEST!!!!! :cheering:

My submission:

KNITASHA

carollovesyarn
04-20-2005, 05:08 PM
'Purl'

:lol:

Sara
04-21-2005, 07:12 PM
"Garter Gertie" :D

amy
04-22-2005, 11:51 PM
You all are too much! Funny names. I've already named her Sarah, but she can have a nick-name too. ;) te-he.

Hmmm, Purl is the name of SNB Chicago's mascot, so that's taken unfortunately. Garter Gertie is a riot, but hopefully she'll model more than that pattern! Knitasha....hey, you might be onto something! Very cute!!

Sarah, aka "Knitasha." I like it! :thumbsup:

I hoped to get the picture or her and the garter pocket today, but no time! :doh: Soon, though, soon!

Hopefully before this knit-along is over! Yikes!....

Amy

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-22-2005, 11:56 PM
well you better get crackin! I'm nearly done my example for next month!!!!! (ooo suspense! I'm trembling with antici............pation)

KellyK
04-23-2005, 08:57 AM
SARAH??? :??
What's THAT got to do with knitting???

Sara
04-24-2005, 12:47 PM
ahem. And what's wrong with Sarah?

KellyK
04-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Knot a thing. ;)

amy
04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Okay, I played dress up with my manequin last night (what fun! I'd forgotten why girls play with dolls!).

By the time I was done I realized something. She's DEFINITELY a Knitasha. Sarah just doesn't seem to suit her any more. :?? Okay KellyK, it's official! Knitasha, the KH manequin.

I took the pictures! WARNING, remember this is lengerie we're talking about. Sexy manequin photos to come!....

Let me get them off the camera right now.... drumroll please....

Amy

amy
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Okay everyone, here she is, and the sexy garter pocket set!.....

perced
04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Pretty cool! I could see the looks you would get when you answer your phone. :shock: :thinking: :?? :doh: I know I would have to turn the pocket out a bit or else a big bruise would occur after walking. I am just not that thin anymore. Definitely knotty!

KellyK
04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYY KNITASHA!!!! She LOOKS like a Knitasha, dont you think? Mysterious and SULTRY.

Where's my prize?!?!?! :balloons: Am I eligible for a prize, seeing that I started the contest? Didnt think so.... :verysad:

Amy, that story is HYSTERICAL. :rofling: YO. :shock: He KNOWS some people. 8-)

LOVE :heart: LOVE :heart: LOVE the garter pocket! That lacey top is VERY cool!

I had to look twice to see that was a cell phone...I thought it was a FLASK. (Amy's tippin 'em back again!! :rollseyes: ) Yet another use, maybe??

amy
04-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Of course, KellyK, I almost forgot!....

:balloons: KellyK, I hereby declare you the winner of the officially unofficial Kname-that-Manequin contest! Congratulations! Here's your prize!

You get a cheerleading trophy, because you're the captain of the KH Cheerleading team. :thumbsup:

Three cheers for KellyK!

amy
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Christine, thanks. :mrgreen: Knotty indeed! :mrgreen:

I guess it's sort of hard to tell the exact placement of the cell phone. It's not directly between the thighs. It's closer to the front of the thigh. Basically, as far front as you can wear it without it showing under your skirt. It has to be towards the front, or you'll rub against it as you walk, no matter how skinny you are! :thinking: Hmmm, maybe some of us have more room here than others. Oh well, you can still put some cash and your ID there, if you were so daring as to use such a pocket! ;)

I should get a closer-up photo of the lacework. It's a really pretty vintage leaf pattern.

Sara
04-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Beside being highly knotty (I say Amy wins this month's contest), I think that garter is the hands down most original and creative knitted item I have ever seen. And almost practical...

Congratulations, KellyK, on naming Knitasha! I predict that by the end of the year, Knitasha will have her own photo gallery of items Amy has knit up.

KellyK
04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
:sunny: THANKS, AIMOLA!!! :sunny:

Uh-oh. :shock: ..Now I have to come up with another acceptance speech.

:o
I cannot accept this Knitasha-Naming Award alone. For, without all of you, my kniitng friends, my creativity might remain uninspired! I might have suggested "Sue" or "Mary"! So, behalf of all KH.com members, I accept this golden cheerleader....an icon of our collective creative effort!
Hi Mom! :waving:

amy
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
I think that garter is the hands down most original and creative knitted item I have ever seen.

Thanks Sara! :blush: That makes my day. :D

Amy

carollovesyarn
04-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Amy! I love the sexy garter pocket - very cool! It's just the sort of thing I would expect to see on knitty.com or in the Stitch n Bitch books. Very creative!

Jivewhistle
04-27-2005, 09:44 AM
LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: IT!!!

This is so creative Amy, awesome job!

And KK, LOVE the name Knitasha :thumbsup:

amy
04-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks Carol & Jive! :sunny: <---I'm beaming

Amy

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-27-2005, 02:52 PM
WOW! Amy you definitly win the prize for knotties knitted knotion in April! Will you be posting the pattern?

okay people only 3 more days to get your submissions in!!!!!!!! Let's get crackin!

amy
04-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Okay, as promised: a close-up shot of the lacework. (And of the wrinkles; sorry I haven't blocked this piece yet! I avoid blocking like the plague.)

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/patterns-asf/garter-lacework.jpg

brookenic
04-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Those are so pretty Amy :cheering:

benniesma
04-29-2005, 08:08 PM
My son decided to contribute to the Knotty Theme this month. He didn't knit it, but it sure is knotty! :rollseyes:

Guess what I'm going to be doing tonight? :doh: :lol:

amy
04-29-2005, 08:27 PM
:shock: LOL Benniesma. Looks like you have your work cut out for you!
Pretty yarn, btw!

Amy

KellyK
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-29-2005, 09:59 PM
oh no!!!! don't youhate it when that happens! and noro too! d'oh :doh: