PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated, but just disturbing.

ekgheiy
04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
:shock:

--->I just don't know what to say. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://find.intelius.com/%3Frefer%3D222&e=7207)

:verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I looked for myself and i was "last reported" on February 2002.... uhhh who the heck is looking for me?????????????????????????????????? My husband was last reported in 2001. Freaky. I don't like this.

ekgheiy
04-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I looked for myself and i was "last reported" on February 2002.... uhhh who the heck is looking for me?????????????????????????????????? My husband was last reported in 2001. Freaky. I don't like this.

Is this FUBAR are what?? The really foul thing is that there's nothing you can do about; all the information is polled from public record! So there's no "unsubcribe"/"do not call"/"opt-out" button. :verysad:

I don't like this either!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
:wall: :wall: :wall:
:verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

Jivewhistle
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, this is really disturbing. Say's I was "last reported" last September. Very strange...creepy....ARGH @ "public record". Screw that.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2005, 01:55 PM
i'm moving to canada. beldie, clear a room for me, my kitties, and my yarn. (and maybe dh)

beldaraan
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Only if you agree to do dishes and the dusting. Those house chores feel like such a waste of time to me. You're pushing it with the cats though missy and you know it!

ekgheiy
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah, this is really disturbing. Say's I was "last reported" last September. Very strange...creepy....ARGH @ "public record". Screw that.

Yah - This is just frightfull! :help:

Sara
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Mmm, a little warning before putting something like that on a link, if you please. I don't want organizations such as those "cookying" me. And no way on you-know-who's green earth will you catch me putting my own name in for them.

ekgheiy
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Mmm, a little warning before putting something like that on a link, if you please. I don't want organizations such as those "cookying" me. And no way on you-know-who's green earth will you catch me putting my own name in for them.

"cookying" :??

beldaraan
04-07-2005, 04:53 PM
You can control your cookies. There are first party cookies and third party cookies. I have my comp to allow first party, but prompt me about third party. You can then disallow for one time use or disallow permanently. You can also allow, which I've had to do on occasion to get into a site. After I'm done the site, I always find the cookie and delete it though.

To change it, go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, and then Advanced.

To find your cookies that you have now (and delete them if you want), go to Tools, Internet Options, then look in Temporary Internet Files section. You have a few options there.

Hope that helps.

ekgheiy
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
You can control your cookies. There are first party cookies and third party cookies. I have my comp to allow first party, but prompt me about third party. You can then disallow for one time use or disallow permanently. You can also allow, which I've had to do on occasion to get into a site. After I'm done the site, I always find the cookie and delete it though.

To change it, go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, and then Advanced.

To find your cookies that you have now (and delete them if you want), go to Tools, Internet Options, then look in Temporary Internet Files section. You have a few options there.

Hope that helps.

Oh ... "cookies"!!! :figureditout: I understand now. The " Y " threw me for a loop. Yes, you can control who can set cookies and you can remove unwanted ones; it's easy enough. I make it a habit of deleting all cookies on a regular basis.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm prompted on all cookies and DH and I go through and delete on the 1st of each month (makes it easy to remember to do it).

Sara
04-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I thought "cookiing" would make less sense. I have the controls set unless DH or DD does something "temporary" then doesn't reset. I'm a little, okay a lot, paranoid about these private security places. Creepy...

midnightskyfibers
04-08-2005, 01:41 AM
i should delete my cokies more often, esp on my laptop. the main comp i sue though when im at "home" seems to be hopelessly infected with s*** no matter what i put in place since my younger brother downloads stuff on it, even though he has his on comp. bla.

(and i dont show up on the site! so there.)

MaggieL
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Wow! It showed me as last reported on 4/6/05. I'M not sure what I was doing. :?? How does someone else know?

Nicoley
04-09-2005, 02:45 AM
maybe its me... but i have NO CLUE what your all are talking about... it takes me to a people search site... where does it take u? :?? :?? :??

Sara
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Everyone's yucked out by the fact that people are basically spying on us.

ChroniclesofYarnia
04-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I really don't see the huge deal. You could always do these type of searches, you just had to go through an agency or know someone in law enforcement who could hook you up. Now you can DIY, and it still costs. If it were free and anyone could know everything that would kind of freak me out, but as a pay service it is no different than what has been out there for a long time.

I think I may actually use this when we search for a babysitter, little league coaches, etc.

amy
04-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Hmmm, that doesn't bother me for some reason. Kind of like a big phone book. My only complaint is you have to pay to see the results! :lol:

My biggest pet peeve & paranoia in the computer world is Spyware! Info here (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/spyware.htm). Prevention: use Firefox (free here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)) instead of Internet Explorer! 2/3 of computers out there are estimated to be infected with Spyware from Internet Explorer's poor ability to block it. Spyware will hog your computer's resources and slow even the newest computer to a CRAWL! (Is your new computer acting slow? That's probably why!) And it can be very difficult to get rid of. It's not officially a virus, but it might as well be, it's on par with many viruses!

I use Firefox & love it. It's just like IE, but I don't get pop-up ads AT ALL, and it has some great features that IE doesn't. My favorite one (other than it's excellent pop-up window blocker) is their "Tab" feature. If you press Ctrl. T, it opens up a new "tab," instead of a new browser window, so you can have lots of websites open in the same window & view them one at a time, by clicking on their folder tabs. Keeps your computer neat, saves reasources so your computer is faster, and is also super handy for bookmarking all the tabbed sites into the same folder for easy reference next time you turn on your computer. Great program!

Cookies get a bad rap. All they do is put an ID number on your computer so their own computer can recognize you again and associate you with your last visit, shopping cart, etc., stuff that they remember on their computers. I love cookies, because they save me from having to log onto familiar sites, re-enter my address at places, and remember impromptu shopping cart entries from sites that I've never registered at. You can read this (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question82.htm)quick Q&A article for more info if you want to know more, but really, they're harmless.

Okay, I've geeked out on y'all enough. That's what happens when you marry a Web Designer/ Computer fanatic.
Amy

Jivewhistle
04-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Spyware..uGH!!!!!

We have SBC for our broadband. And even the disc they sent you has spyware on it!!!! Luckily, we have worked it out so you dont have to use the crap they send you.

ekgheiy
04-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, that doesn't bother me for some reason. Kind of like a big phone book. My only complaint is you have to pay to see the results! :lol:

My biggest pet peeve & paranoia in the computer world is Spyware! Info here (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/spyware.htm). Prevention: use Firefox (free here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)) instead of Internet Explorer! 2/3 of computers out there are estimated to be infected with Spyware from Internet Explorer's poor ability to block it. Spyware will hog your computer's resources and slow even the newest computer to a CRAWL! (Is your new computer acting slow? That's probably why!) And it can be very difficult to get rid of. It's not officially a virus, but it might as well be, it's on par with many viruses!

I use Firefox & love it. It's just like IE, but I don't get pop-up ads AT ALL, and it has some great features that IE doesn't. My favorite one (other than it's excellent pop-up window blocker) is their "Tab" feature. If you press Ctrl. T, it opens up a new "tab," instead of a new browser window, so you can have lots of websites open in the same window & view them one at a time, by clicking on their folder tabs. Keeps your computer neat, saves reasources so your computer is faster, and is also super handy for bookmarking all the tabbed sites into the same folder for easy reference next time you turn on your computer. Great program!

Cookies get a bad rap. All they do is put an ID number on your computer so their own computer can recognize you again and associate you with your last visit, shopping cart, etc., stuff that they remember on their computers. I love cookies, because they save me from having to log onto familiar sites, re-enter my address at places, and remember impromptu shopping cart entries from sites that I've never registered at. You can read this (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question82.htm)quick Q&A article for more info if you want to know more, but really, they're harmless.

Okay, I've geeked out on y'all enough. That's what happens when you marry a Web Designer/ Computer fanatic.
Amy

I haven't tried Firefox yet. I wanted to wait until it got older so the "bugs" (if there are any) can be worked out. But I do use and like Mozilla. That Tab feature is FANTASTICAL!! One day I'll get to Firefox though, when I get my computer and internet up and runnning again :verysad:

beldaraan
04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I have tried using Firefox several times, but it always acts slow on my comp...yes, slower that IE. I have it on my comp now, but, being little miss impatient, I can't stand using it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2005, 11:12 PM
We use Mozilla (which is basically the same as firefox) and also Opera. they are great, NO pop-ups, NO spyware, NO old-lady-in-the-fast-lane-blocking-my-space. I love them both.

rebecca
04-11-2005, 11:25 PM
That's just CREEPY.............

VictoiseC
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Man oh man that is some mindblower.

Now all they gots to do is hook up with Google's new satillite map service and they can stare down at the house you're livin' in while they read about you!

Thanks for the info on the cookies btw Beldy, I forgot to do it for a while and I also set that 3rd party thingy.

I thought Mozilla & Firefox ARE the same thing? I've been using it/them for over a month and love it. It's a lot faster than IE on my Vaio. A lot.

(editing here... just went back & read more... I don't like the way my age comes up there for all the world to know. That is fkd.)

brendajos
04-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi there. I am new here but i think i can shed a little light on what some of you have expressed concerned about. I work for a company that sells a service such as this at this time. (no throwing needles at me please...well actually i could use a set of size seven circulars so that would be okay!;) ) I can't answer for this service but on ours when it says "last reported" it generally means the last time they could verify you at that location. A lot of times it is when they could last verify that you got mail there. That isn't the case always of course but that is the case most of the time. In general all the information is public info so as horrifying as it is, you kind of have to put it in perspective...if someone wanted the info they could get it. Of course, if someone wants the info on me i would prefer they have to work for it but unfortunately i couldn't protest loud enough to get my company to not sell the info.

As scary as it is, Choicepoint did many of us a favor...a lot of these businesses are going to be tightening up their security and my company is expecting that we won't be selling the service by the end of the year...(here's hopin' anyway!!)

ekgheiy
04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
... [1]Of course, if someone wants the info on me i would prefer they have to work for it ...

... [2] As scary as it is, Choicepoint did many of us a favor...a lot of these businesses are going to be tightening up their security and my company is expecting that we won't be selling the service by the end of the year...(here's hopin' anyway!!)

... [1] I agree with you!! I'd want "Mr./Ms. Snoopy" to do some good 'ol fashion LEG WORK to get the info, NOT to just sit his/her fat, nosy arse on the chair ... click click ... and just pay a mere 8 bucks for it!! Grr...

... [2]*ekgheiy crosses her PUBLIC fingers* :rofl:
:pray:

Sara
04-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Thank you, Amy, from the bottom of my heart. We had viruses, the email only worked sporadically, we kept getting error messages, etc. I installed Firefox and it all went away. Spyware Doctor hasn't picked up on anything since I installed Ff. The computer runs like a dream! One less thing to worry about.