PDA

View Full Version : Hate to Purl? Try the Norwegian method...I think I like it!

kemp
04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I really don't HATE to purl, but I know some people really do. I can do it fine continental and I have been use to that so far, but on a wild hair today I watched Amy's Norwegian Purl video. It too me a coupld of tries, but once you get the hang of it, I think it could be really quick :XX: . The only thing I noticed so far that might be problematic is that purling this way seems to turn out much more loose than I am use to. Can anyone else that has tried this method respond to that?

Thanks!

Rennagayle
04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm a purl hater, so I think I'll give it a whirl. I finally got up the nerve (being a new knitter and all) to watch Amy's continental knitting video, and I LOVE it. :shock: I expected it to be so hard, but it isn't nearly as awkward for me as knitting in general was when I first started. I think that with a little practice, I could get very good at that method. I can tell it is going to speed up my knitting, which has been pathetically slow.

kemp
04-12-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree...I love continental! I tried the throw thing and it just didn't make sense to me. I have been crocheting since I was a little girl so I think the digging motion of continental made more sense to me.

I practiced the norweigan some more last night. I still like it but haven't decided if I think it is quicker. Of course, may just take some more preactice :) I think even if you didn't want to use it all the time, it might be really useful when doing k, p, k, p since you don't bring the yarn forward for the purl.

Rennagayle
04-12-2005, 11:31 AM
since you don't bring the yarn forward for the purl.

Now, I'm really intrigued! :D

Nuno930
04-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Am i the only person alive that prefers Purl over a knit? :?? It is so much easier to me. I have always been an oddball though...

ekgheiy
04-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Am i the only person alive that prefers Purl over a knit? :?? It is so much easier to me. I have always been an oddball though...

Just curious ... did you learn to purl first?? I think the only reason I liked knit better was because I learned it first. But nowadays, I don't have a preference though.

square
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I learned to purl the Norwegian way (I'm from Iceland) as a kid and didn't realize there were other ways to do it till recently. I've been practicing the other continental way of purling (learned it from Amy's video) and I find that to be a faster way if I'm doing a whole row of purling. When I'm alternating, such as knit1-1purl-knit1-purl1, I think it's faster to use the Norwegian method because then I can keep the yarn behind the needle all along.

Regarding loose stitches, my experience is opposite to yours: when I was beginning to practice "regular" purling I found the stitches became looser than if I purled them the Norwegian way. It's gotten better by now. Maybe it's got something to do with learning a new method. :??

I just finished a project with bobbles that required purling 4 stitches together every now and then. I found it impossible to do using the Norwegian method, but it worked with the other method.

Nuno930
04-13-2005, 12:00 PM

Just curious ... did you learn to purl first?? I think the only reason I liked knit better was because I learned it first. But nowadays, I don't have a preference though.

nope, I learned knit first. I am just odd me thinks...

amy
04-13-2005, 04:30 PM
LOL, I love to purl too, Nuno! Not better than knitting, but the same, I don't have a preference. Nice to hear someone cheering for purling for a change!

The nice thing about Continental knitting and purling is that it's not an extra step to bring the yarn forward or back, it can be done in conjunction with taking the old stitch off the needle; it's automatic. So I don't know if Norwegian purling is really saving time in that regard. But it's a neat method. I've never watched anyone really fluent in the method in person, I'd love to see how you'd do it Square.

Amy

KellyK
04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Ya know, whilst knitting Aibhlinn (from the Winter ed. of Knitty..check my blog for pics), I have finally developed a "RHYTHYM" for english knit/purl transition....if I keep the working yarn wrapped toward the tip of my right index finger, I find I can move the yarn in front of the work AND wrap to purl without ever taking my fingers from the R needle. Its almost just like moving the yarn from front to back in Conti....

WOW that sounds confusing when read back to myself! :??

I wish I had a video cam.....