PDA

View Full Version : socks for sensitive tootsies

kimmie
04-21-2005, 07:45 AM
My daughter is super sensitive about sock seams (how's that for alliteration!?). I don't know if handknit socks for her would be any better or not. Have any of you out there knit socks for sensitive sock-hating kids and had a miracle happen? If so, please let me know the details.
Thanks,
kimmie

KellyK
04-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Alot of alliteration from an anxious alpacaphile asking about the abrasiveness of anklets for her adolescent!

kimmie
04-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Whew! That was good, Kelly! You win for sure.
:) kimmie

HeatherFeather
04-21-2005, 11:54 AM
don't know if I can keep up with you guys!!! :)

But to answer your question, I do hear that handknit socks are VERY nice for sensitive tootsies!!! :) There are no seams, and instead of doing the kitchner stitch, altho that isn't really a seam, but a graft....you could just do it(the toe) like a hat. :) just decrease till you don't have many stitches left, and then run the yarn through and sinch it up.

kimmie
04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Okay, I think I'll just have to try it & see what happens. I am in the process of knitting my first pair of socks for myself. I have 1 1/2 done and they seem quite comfy to me, but I'm not remotely sock-sensitive either, so I'm not a very good judge. I'll make her a cute pair & hope for the best.
:) kimmie

ChroniclesofYarnia
04-21-2005, 12:54 PM
My dd is super sensitive to socks. If they are just a stitch too big she has a huge fit...the doc says it is a sensory issue. Anyhow, I started making socks for her and I make them out of Cascade Fixation, which is very soft and elasticy, and I make them to fit her feet almost perfectly. This has worked out really well for us, and we hardly have any shoe/sock problems anymore. :)

kimmie
04-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Alright, I am now on a hunt for Cascade Fixation.
Thanks,
kimmie

feministmama
04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
My dd is super sensitive to socks. If they are just a stitch too big she has a huge fit...the doc says it is a sensory issue.

THis is an actual thing, look here:

http://www.hsperson.com/

kimmie
04-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Very interesting article! That sounds quite familiar.... I'll copy that one off. By the way, what sock pattern do you use for your daughter?
Thanks,
kimmie