PDA

View Full Version : Email addresses typed in posts will get SPAM

amy
04-24-2005, 12:38 AM
If you type your email address in a post, it is vulnerable to SPAM email-harvesters that comb the web looking for unencrypted email addresses. Best not to put your email in a post. Instead, you can tell people to email you by clicking on the email button below your post.

For more must-know computer info, like how to protect yourself from spam, pop-ups, and spyware, read the concise posts here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11043#11043).

Amy

VictoiseC
04-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Wow, that's invaluable info Amy. thank you!

PiousPoet
04-29-2005, 04:16 PM
another way to avoid spam is type in your e-mail just as normal, but throw in a phrase such as "nospam" before the @ sign. The bots won't get your e-mail and you can tell people to just take out the "nospam" part when they e-mail you. :D

roxyquiksilver34
04-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Or you can post your addy like

nunyabidness AT dontspamme DAWT com

LOL - this actually works!

:thumbsup:

VictoiseC
04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
huh, that's a good one about the nospam biz. I've recently got some pop ups I never got before or ads rather, so I need to do some housecleaning. thanks for the tip!

amy
04-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Victoise, sounds like you might have spyware on your computer, if you're getting pop-ups at sites you didn't before. Classic symptom. Check out the thread I linked to in the first post, if you haven't already. Hope it's not too hard to get rid of....

Amy

VictoiseC
05-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks Amy! I'm lazy about this computer stuff... my niece can download music and I can't with my super Sony Vaio! :oops: