PDA

View Full Version : World Wide KIP Day; June 11, 2005

nonokitty
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
World Wide Knit In Public Day (http://worldwidekipday.blogspot.com/) is something that I started when a tread on the knitty boards showed that there were knitters who were nervous to KIP. This is a day when all knitters every where in the world will be out knitting, to make shy knitters feel better about KIP'ing. I'm really excited by this project and really want others to join me. There will be no sponsorship, as this is just to get people to knit in public. You can organize a group in your area to be out KIP'ing or do it on your own, it's up to you. Either way, it should be a lot of fun, and you never know who'll you'll find KIP'ing around you. ;)

The site is but a baby yet, we have a new admin, working on it. There's printable flyers on the sidebar, that you can hand out. We're trying to spread the word. Also the site can be a meeting point for groups, and of course we'll want pictures of you knitting away!

Thank you all, and if you have any questions or comments, please share.

Danielle

_____
**Sticky until the date passes! We should have a constant reminder of this!!
♠ The Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:
-6/12/05 - Sticky removed

Nuno930
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Just bumping this :happydance:

ekgheiy
05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
BOOP ... BOOP ... BEE ... DOO ...

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP

:XX: :XY: :X:

kemp
05-10-2005, 11:51 AM
How fun...shy to knit in public?????!!!! :thinking:

KellyK
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I knit ALL OVER the place!! Im like a KNITTING AMBASSADOR!

brookenic
05-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I usually knit where ever I am. I love to knit on my front porch swing. June 11th I plan on going to the Courthouse Square in our town. There are benches and flowers and grass and trees. :inlove: I thought of it today as I walked past. It's the perfect spot. That's just my 2 cents!

hedgehog
05-11-2005, 10:40 AM
June 11th I plan on going to the Courthouse Square in our town. There are benches and flowers and grass and trees. :inlove: I thought of it today as I walked past. It's the perfect spot. That's just my 2 cents!

What a brilliant idea... :) I really like the idea of not just heading to a coffeeshop but to be really "out there"...

I'm sure i could find a spot on my university campus to do it... or the local municipal park...

picnic basket, blanket, sun shade... sounds lovely :)

-hh

oshnpashn
05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Don't understand why anyone would be shy to knit in public, I do it everyday on my lunch break. I'll be at the cute little grassy area by my LYS on that day.....hoping to get some friends to join me!!

Nuno930
05-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I've gotten some rude comments before and if I were a person who didn't have a lot of self-confidence or self-esteem to begin with that would probably deter me from knitting in public. Lucky for me I donít give a @#$ :thumbsup:

KellyK
05-12-2005, 01:31 PM
What kind of RUDE comments could a person POSSIBLY make about KNITTING??? I mean...it doesnt BOTHER anyone, unless you POKE them in the EYE with a needle! :??

ekgheiy
05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
What kind of RUDE comments could a person POSSIBLY make about KNITTING??? I mean...it doesnt BOTHER anyone, unless you POKE them in the EYE with a needle! :??

Well ... I was at the gym an hour early before my regular class and I had my knitting with me (OF COURSE :thumbsup: ) So I figured I get some knitting done until my class started. Yippy!!!

Anyhoo ... this disgusting prick of a B@$t@rd slithered up with this smug @$$ look and said, "Hm, I guess that could be a work out." I gave him one my mean looks (I've been told that my mean looks are quite effective ;) ). He just walked away.

Perhaps I was offended because I'm not the thinnest person and I interpretted that comment as a personally attack? :?? I just don't know. But then ... he was one of those nasty, dirty looking old men who think they are HOT stuff, walking around and sucking wind to puff out their scrawny chests, deluding themselves that every young lady thinks they are the perfect specimen with whom to ride around in their mid-life crisis, convertible sports car!!! :evil:

Whatever the case ... considering his tone and facial expression, it was NOT a nice comment. :rollseyes:

Louine
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
"Waste not want not."---is a saying from my grandmother....she always said that time is just as important not to waste as money and food.

So I knit (or crochet) where ever I go....I usually have at least two project going all the time....one that is always ready to take in the car with my husband driving, to school for my 30 minute lunch duty in the school hall way (what else can I do, I roll out my chair and knit), and to wait for appointments,and etc......that project is always something that is easy to keep up with the pattern.....I don't take anything that requires too much concentration.

And I have never had anyone complain...though I have had lots of people ask if I can teach them......I have students that ask almost everyday.

feministmama
05-13-2005, 06:03 PM

That's what I'm thinking. You gotta be a real hardass to mess with a knitter.

But then ... he was one of those nasty, dirty looking old men who think they are HOT stuff, walking around and sucking wind to puff out their scrawny chests, deluding themselves that every young lady thinks they are the perfect specimen with whom to ride around in their mid-life crisis, convertible sports car!!! :evil:

EEEWWW I can totally see this guy in my mind. EW EW EW EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW I can smell him too :crying: :oops:

_____
The Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:

ekgheiy
05-13-2005, 06:28 PM
But then ... he was one of those nasty, dirty looking old men who think they are HOT stuff, walking around and sucking wind to puff out their scrawny chests, deluding themselves that every young lady thinks they are the perfect specimen with whom to ride around in their mid-life crisis, convertible sports car!!! :evil:

EEEWWW I can totally see this guy in my mind. EW EW EW EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW I can smell him too :crying: :oops:

TOTALLY!!! I still see him at the gym every now and then. Every time I see that creton, I get obscenely disgusted!

Rorshach
05-13-2005, 08:14 PM
"Hm, I guess that could be a work out."

Well IMHO it can be a mental workout, and sometimes a physical one, but I guess it would depend on whether your arms were hanging free or resting on your knees or other support.

_____

ekgheiy
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM

Well IMHO it can be a mental workout, and sometimes a physical one, but I guess it would depend on whether your arms were hanging free or resting on your knees or other support.

I agree - it can totally be work out. But for some sarcastically odd reason, I highly doubt that jack@$$ would neither recognize nor appreciate the training, skill, talent and effort that goes into knitting. **sigh** Some people ... :rollseyes: But hey ... that's okay ... he'll remain a delusional, geriatric, chest puffing, dirty 'ol B'dard whilst I exercise and enrich my mind with my needles and KH.com!!!! Yah dude! Rawk on!!! :thumbsup: **hehehe* :mrgreen:

Rorshach
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
well, ekgheiy, I've found that a mind that will not stretch to new dimensions is a mind I don't really want to know about. Seems to suit everybody else just fine. :figureditout:

KellyK
05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
EKG...we all have WRISTS OF STEEL!!!! :mad:

Rorshach
05-13-2005, 09:31 PM
EKG...we all have WRISTS OF STEEL!!!! :mad:

Lol maybe we could give Jane Fonda a run for her money by producing a video of our own, possibly featuring Amy as the trainer, and possibly KellyK as the drill sargeant :D

ekgheiy
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
:roflhard: :cheering: :roflhard: :cheering:

amy
05-30-2005, 08:53 AM
LOL, I just caught up on this thread. Too funny.

"Okay Ready? Knit and Purl, and one and two. Yarn over! Slip that stitch! You can do it! Work it, work it!"

:roflhard:

Debbie
06-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Danielle,

I am going to be in London on WWKIP day!! I went to the website to get information about WWKIP for my KidsKnit group at school and couldn't believe your post. I had been trying to figure out just where in London I was going to celebrate KIP :) I have emailed giftedknits for directions. Are you in London?? Will you be there?? I am going to ask my kids to take pictures of themselves knitting in public and we will put them on a bulletin board when school starts in the fall!

Debbie

nonokitty
06-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh my gosh! I wish I had checked in on this thread earlier. You guys are too funny!

ekgheiy: next time some older man says something rude, ask him if he ever had to knit durring the war. My grandfather did, just to have nice warm socks while walking through the cold. Tell him that true studs know how to do things for themselves. I bet this wanna be wouldn't know what to do if he got a hole in his socks. Besides toss them that is. :rollseyes:

Debbie: I don't live in London, I live in Denver, Colorado actually. I was just re-posting something that someone had emailed me. I hope it turns out well.

I'll be knitting in Estes Park both this weekend and next weekend (the big wool festival woohoo!). I'm not really a big KIP'er as my job makes me keep long hours, and when I'm done it's usually dark outside. :(

foldedbird
06-09-2005, 01:35 AM

_____

I would have handed him the needles and said "Oh yeah, let me see you try, hot stuff"!

foldedbird
06-09-2005, 01:37 AM
LOL, I just caught up on this thread. Too funny.

"Okay Ready? Knit and Purl, and one and two. Yarn over! Slip that stitch! You can do it! Work it, work it!"

:roflhard:

And of course, you'll have to wear your hand knit leg warmers, wrist cuffs, head bands...

Can you knit spandex?

Lets get physical... yeah yeah...

foldedbird
06-09-2005, 01:39 AM
So, what's everyone KIP'in Saturday? I think I'll be doing a weenie warmer. I'm making one for housemates birthday, except I'm making it WAY TOO SMALL. muwahahahaha :roflhard: :rofling: :oops:

Stacy
06-10-2005, 10:56 AM
My husband is running in a 10K race tomorrow morning. I have already decided that I am taking my favorite chair, planting myself close to the finish line, and knitting! :thumbsup:

On Wednesday night my brother-in-laws baseball team, he is a coach, was playing in a regional final. As we were walking out the door I grabbed my 'to go knitting bag, DH stopped and said, "You aren't!?!?"

Well, I am sorry to say that I didn't. I was so bored. I don't really care for baseball, all of my brothers played football. (I love to watch football!) Any way, I will never listen to that tone again. I am not embarrased to knit in public, but being that this is a new hobby for me, he still isn't used to the idea. I wonder what he will think as he crosses the finish line tomorrow to see his DW knitting? :D :XX:

Stacy

foldedbird
06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Did everyone KIP today? I did. I was going to go to Woodbine, in front of the historic court house, but it rained. So, housemate and I went to Huddle House (a diner) and I knitted there. I worked on a seed stitch dish cloth, it's almost half way done and pretty cool lookin!

I'll get pictures up as soon as I get a new USB chord.

Stacy
06-12-2005, 07:47 AM
I did work on my cable scarf while waiting for DH to run his 10K. It was fun for me.

Stacy

KellyK
06-12-2005, 09:35 AM
I KIPed in an airport bar in Costa Rica, and on the plane all the way home!

In the bar, I was SO happy to get a comment from a MAN (a straight man, to boot!) ...he asked what I was making, and said "that is such an interesting process"! :cheering:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Sara
06-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I KIP'd at DD's dance show. It was so cold in the auditorium that people were stopping to say things like "Gosh, I wish I had a sweater right now" or "Gee, can you finish that up for me? I'll pay you for it." My response was "You should learn to knit!" There were more comments, all positive, from men women and children. I have done my part for WWKIP Day!

foldedbird
06-12-2005, 10:28 PM
hehe, I woulda sold the piece...more $$$ for yarn!

That's cool that you both got comments. I didn't get any at the diner, it was dead!

Must be nice to knit in Costa Rica!

feministmama
06-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I went to TWO knitting stores here in PDX (Which has something like 10 stores!) and noe one seemed to even KNOW about it. Bummer. It was raining anyway. But I had my needles out wherever I went, knitting in line a tthe store, knitting at the bank, etc. I made a hat for my brother. I held 3 skeins of DK yarn together for a bulky weight and did a k2p2 rib hat. He wanted all black but I only had enough for two lengths of blak and one length of dark purple. I hope he likes it.

feministmama
06-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Here's some pictures of the hat and a sweater I finished too (my son wouldn't model it so the couch had to do it). The hat is modeled by his dad.

KellyK
06-13-2005, 10:29 PM
GREAT work, Femmy! :cheering:

Stacy
06-14-2005, 08:24 AM
I can't believe you can do that hat standing in line. That is AWESOME!!!!

I love the sweater. :cheering:

Stacy

Nuno930
06-14-2005, 10:59 AM
My daughter was sick so I didn't get to do anything in public :( but I do KIP all the time :cheering:

Soxy
06-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Femmy I love that sweater!! Great work.

My knitting is always with me and the only place I don't knit is Sunday Morning worship. However since my dh is driving I knit on my way and on the way home. ;)

brendajos
06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I was at a Teddy Bear thing in Iowa and I knitted every opportunity i got where i was just sitting and listening. In fact at the auction they held there were two women who were sitting in front of me knitting as well. annnnnnnd i even got scolded for knitting during a lecture on finding rare teddy bears because i wasn't taking notes! ;) i proved to him later that i was paying attention by shopping at his booth the way he taught us to! ;)

foldedbird
06-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Cool Sweater and hat! I really love the colors on that sweater, very yummy.

Sorry the kiddo was sick :( :(

brenda, you sure showed him, didn't ya??

Debbie
06-24-2005, 07:06 AM
On June 11th several Londoners got together at a small craft fair near Sloan Square (sounds like I know what I am talking about, huh) Anyway, after two transfers on the tube and a ride in a double decker red bus .. I found them!!!

It was SO fun. Sarah and Kate from GiftedKnits.com had a "booth" and brought chairs. Pauline from KnitChicks ... a website that tells about knititng groups in the UK was also there along with several others.

They are all so much more "hip" or "cool" or "something" than me! Just look at them... they are gorgeous! But, they were also very welcoming and nice this "so housewife" looking american lady :) who was in awe of the beautiful things they were knitting and wearing. I am the one with the pink top and sooooo librarian bun .. bad hair day "do".

I bought a purse kit from GiftedKnits and flower kit from another knitting booth. Other booths had scarves and purses, glass buttons, pictures, cards and linens.

I bought several skiens of "wool" (all yarn in Europe is called wool) in London and some pretty cotton yarn in Portugal.

We moved, I found out I was going to get to go with my DH on this business trip, we left ... the unpacking fairy didn't come while we were gone .... SO.... I have not taken pictures of the yarn yet. I will.... and post them soon.

Debbie

MaryB
06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Great pictures!! What fun to make instant friends across the pond.

It looks like that would have been a good place to share and compare your love of knitting. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry Debbie! I *did* look at your pictured earlier, I just forgot to post something about it! They look great. EKG and I were talking about how cool they were this morning (really, ask her!) Did you take any pictures in Portugal?

Aby
06-24-2005, 08:42 PM
GOOD LORD! Are those giant knitting needles she's holding or vampire stakes? :roflhard:

Debbie
06-24-2005, 10:23 PM
I didn't KIP in Portugal :) I had a hard enough time figuring out which way to go on the subway to get myself to a "department store" where they just MIGHT have yarn. Then ... when I got back ... I took pictures of the cotton yarn I bought "looking" out of the hotel window. I didn't take any pictures of my London yarn while I was there, but will take pix and post!

I thought since the "viewed" number didn't change that no one had seen the post! I SHOULD have known better! :oops:

Aby ... I think she was using vampire stakes as knitting needles ! She was making a shawl... or maybe a cape... a summer cape, it was purple instead of black.

amy
06-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Great pics Debbie! That looks like such a fun time!!

foldedbird
10-03-2005, 03:37 PM
So, this is only 4 months late. I finally got a card reader for my digicam. Here are my pics from worldwide Kip day. I went to a local diner and Kipped. It was pouring rain that day (much like today), so this was about my only option!

foldedbird
10-03-2005, 03:38 PM
p.s. Isn't it LOVELY what GA rain does to your hair?

Joel
10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
p.s. Isn't it LOVELY what GA rain does to your hair?

:rollseyes:

You're hair is fine. Glad you got the pics up.

foldedbird
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks Joel.

ekgheiy
10-04-2005, 08:56 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Cheers to ya dudette!!

foldedbird
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
hehe ek! come chat!