PDA

View Full Version : needle size ?

amourbliss
04-25-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm still in the process of making my rag bag and I noticed online that many peop;le said for felted items use bigger needles than suggested, but this whole time I've been size 10!!! :thinking: Is this okay? Will it still turn out right? :oops:

Mer
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm not familiar with the pattern, but I did a felted bag using size 10 1/2, and it worked great! Size 10 is considered pretty big, I'd say. Was that the recommended size for the pattern?

amourbliss
04-26-2005, 12:39 AM
no, the recommended size for the pattern was size 13 needles, but then again I didn't use the samn yarn as the pattern rag bag pattern (http://www.knitblog.com/onmymind/Rag%20Bag%20Pattern.gif)[/url]

Mer
04-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Oh, well this pattern isn't for a felted item--if you're doing it in wool and plan to felt it, you might want to do a swatch with the yarn and needles you're using and do a test run of the felting on that swatch. Then you can see if it turns out the way you'd like!

amourbliss
04-26-2005, 02:40 PM
oh i know it's not a felted pattern, but i changed the pattern a little and doubled all the numbers. My plan was to felt it by "hand" (in my sink) instead of in the washing machine!!

Mer
04-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Oh, gotcha! :D Then if you're worried I think you should test out a swatch to make sure it works and how much it shrinks, etc.--anyone else have experience in this? I've only done one felted thing so far.