PDA

View Full Version : Knitting bags: what do you use?

Nuno930
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I am looking for one (to buy, not make!). Something that I can easily knit out of and pick up and go. I think this will help me knit on the go... right now it is just a pain!

brendajos
04-26-2005, 03:20 PM
this is the bag i use. http://tinyurl.com/88pkj

all the proceeds benefit Breast Cancer Research. It is big enough that i can carry two skeins of yarn for my baby afghan that i am knitting (to be fair the afghan is about as big as a book mark at this point but there is LOTS of room) It has a center pocket that can be zipped that i carry my wallet and stuff in, and another pocket for more stuff. i don't think it is outrageously huge but others look at me like i am crazy. i think it works great and i do knit right out of the bag. when i am ready to leave i plop the knitting back in and i am good to go!!

Silver
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I have tons of totes and other bags, but I recently bought a BagSmith Project Bag (http://www.bagsmith.com/html/caboodle/indexstatic.html) and I LOVE it for knitting. Best bag ever. :)

gimmesanity
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm cheap, so I just bought a tote from Old Navy. It's similar to www.oldnavy.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=200501&wpid=316050] (http://secure.[url) this one[/url]. It's big enough to carry around a decent-sized project (I hauled around a huge shawl that I wore my last trimester, so you know it was BIG.)

~Sharon

rebecca
04-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't use this....but I SURE DO WANT IT!!! :heart: :heart: IT!!!
http://tinyurl.com/9vn7a
now check out this site..customizable ll bean tote...what more can u ask for....except for the $ to buy it...lol....I want a medium sized one, using all colors, long handles and I think with zippers, no...I need the zippers ....I take that back...not all colors...all pretty, springy colors, with no 2 repeating..
now...u r curious ... huh?!
UR gonna :heart: :heart: this bag!!
I'm taking donations now for mine...
:oops: :oops: :help: :verysad: that's me being very sad & crying cause i can'f have it.....sniff sniff.....KELLLLLYYYYYYY.....IIIIII NNNNNEEEEEDDDDD YOURRR CRRROOOSSSAAAABBBLLLEEESSSS!!!!

brendajos
04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
omg...lol....i would have the most obnoxious bag if i got that!

Nuno930
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Hmmm, well don't you need all the little pockets that knitting bags have? That is why I was looking at a bag made for knitters. If not... there is a Kate Spade basket bag I have been eyeing that would be perfect :happydance:

KNITBIT
04-26-2005, 05:27 PM
This is what I use when I take my project with me. I got it at Target. It has a large pocket on the other side (on the outside). Also a lil mesh pocket inside. They have different ones with different sayings on them. This one fit me to a T! LOL! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

brendajos
04-26-2005, 05:27 PM
nah i have a thing that looks like an eyeglass case that carries three of my circular needles, a pair of scissors, and a tapestry needle. i think it may have some stitch holders in it too...i can't remember.

rebecca
04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
yes, to u , the bag may be obnoxious...lol...but to me....oh Wow oh Wow...i'd be a knitter with a very obnoxious bag!!
I love the bags that the have a target! My husband always gets a few for me from there each year....I'm going to have to suggest that it be a larger bag this yeah,huh?!
or I'd still go for the LL bean obnoxious one...lol :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mer
04-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I also have a target bag! Messenger style with a bunch of little pockets for smaller things. I would looooove the Jordana Paige (http://www.jordanapaige.com) one though, but I haven't convinced myself to get it quite yet. ;)

kdavies
04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
The Jordana Paige is on *my* want list, too. To keep myself from buying it, I knitted myself the small version of the My Constant Companion. I *do* love it. I haven't even put pockets on it, yet...LOL.

Now I feel like, hey, I've got this great bag (I also have the larger version, but it doesn't get a lot of use). Currently I'm knitting a drawstring pouch that I'll felt and use for my notions.

As a little aside...what do you keep your stitch markers in? I have found that a little mint tin (mine is from Victoria's Secret...red with black lace stocking pattern...very sexy). It's a great size.

KellyK
04-26-2005, 08:25 PM
OK - Cheapo me uses a flat-bottomed non-zippered tote bag that I got for free at a conference. For my notions I use a satiny zippered cosmetic bag that I got (also for free) with my Clinique purchase of 19.99 or more at participating retailers near me.

Sara
04-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I just use whichever tote bag is nearby when I race out the door in the morning. I bought the fabric to make tote bags. I want to make a large bag for schoolbooks and then do a medium size bag that will piggyback on the first tote to put my knitting and wallet in. I have a little designing to do, I guess. But first I have to finish a quilt, a half dozen clothing items for the DD's, I think I have at least 15 projects I could finish sewing before I get to the tote. I think I'll just go knit... :rollseyes:

carollovesyarn
04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I use a few different things for my knitting. My grandma made me a nice tote bag (thanks gma!) that I was using until I decided I was tired of having my knitting and needles squashed. Then I saw all the ladies in my spinning class using fabric lined baskets and I found out they got them at Trader Joe's (really inexpensive there) - so now I have two(!) of those, one medium round and one large oval. I never thought a basket would be good, but I like the rigidness and they look nice under the coffee table at home. The fabric lining keeps the yarn from catching and my needles inside.

I also sometimes use a backpack in rainy weather. My notions are in a clear plastic cosmetic pouch - I like being able to see inside. I have some of those clear-top tins that I'm going to use when I finally get around to making my stitch markers. I also want to make some sort of needle pouch out of the fat quarters in my stash. Right now they're stuck in the first swatch I ever knit - it's really long - and rolled up.

rebecca
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I for real use whatever my stuff fits in...but i want a tote like those LL beans ones :XX: Not the exact one...but something like that...target...like ya'll said has good stuff like that
i'm off

maniago
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I love This Bag (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=40396&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5236&cat4=3153&shop_method=pp&feat=ln). Have it in the beige and black, if it gets dirty just wipe it clean. Even if someone :doh: leaves a pen open the ink wipes off

rebecca
04-27-2005, 02:19 AM
:heart: that one, too....I'm gonna have to go back to my original LLBean selection....the customizable....in medium...many bright colors (n 2 alike) with the long handles & the zipper.....if I could only have a wish....lol
no kidding, tho....LLBeans last forever, I'm told
My address could be easily gotten from amy or something whenever u want to suprise me with it.....i'd even like it in the small.... :roflhard: :roflhard: ...u know who u r....u who wants to buy me that bag... :roflhard: :roflhard: just keep it your secret...I don't mind :thumbsup:

rebecca
04-27-2005, 02:22 AM
;) regarding the bright colors....that's I want NO 2 alike...not n2....just don't want to confuse u, secret admirer.... :roflhard: :roflhard:
I'm just so funny even to me :rofl:
have a :balloons: kinda nite, peoples!!
:heart: in u all!!

amy
04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I am sooooo in need of a knitting bag. I'm determined to make my own, even though it's taking me forever with all my other projects going on. Meanwhile I'm carrying my knitting around in a plain old backpack, because my old knitting bag, which I've had since I was 8, has literally fallen apart. It's a good thing, too, because I never really liked it all that much, so I'm LONG overdue for a nice bag. ....just gotta finish knitting it! I'm being very picky about it, because I'm writing up the pattern for sale, so it has to be JUST right.....

For some reason I just can't fathom buying a store bought knitting bag. I buy store bought sweaters all the time, but a bag I feel compelled to knit myself! :?? Go figure.

Amy

Anne
04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I use a Vera Bradley bag. I bought it years ago as a carry on when i fly out East. At the time i was Cross-Stitching. The bag is so BIG. Now that i knit the bag has so much room i can put anything in it.

Yellow with different colors. Can't remember what i paid for it but was worth every penny whatever it was.

For some reason i think it is a diaper bag. Nice lining for a Mom with a baby.

wildforyarn
04-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, I had just purchased a tote from Kohl's, nothing special and finally bit the bullet and bought a Jordana Paige knitter's purse. I love it so far, but only picked it up today. ;) I am really looking forward to getting information on the messenger bag as well.... still waiting for them to become available.

Carollovesyarn: We don't have a Trader Joe's here, but am curious to know if you can purchase the baskets anywhere else that you know of? I would love some nice baskets for around the house and when we visit the folks.

rebecca
04-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I have just seen/heard of the knitter bag/purse...sounds like the perfect item...they have the messenger/knitter bag, too?!!....Now I would :heart: that!!
Amy...I bet it's a bit hard to get rid of your knitting bag of old...although...I also understand the...glad to see it go reasoning!! So, I made virtually no sense..yes I did..no I didn't...yes I did..no I didn't...yes I did...nnn.......HELP ME FROM MYSELF!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

carollovesyarn
04-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Carollovesyarn: We don't have a Trader Joe's here, but am curious to know if you can purchase the baskets anywhere else that you know of? I would love some nice baskets for around the house and when we visit the folks.I wish I did. I tried to find a picture of it online, but couldn't. Trader Joes usually finds special deals that can't be found elsewhere. Then they slap their tag on it.

These baskets are from China ( :oops: I try to not buy from China but caved) and they are very nicely made. Oh der, why don't I just take a pic of it NOW? Jeez, you'd think I was 90 yrs old or something... They are lined and have pockets along the inside. This is the medium one (~$11) and it has a part that you can cinch closed on top. I'm sorry I have no idea who else would sell them.

wildforyarn
04-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Oooohh, I love the basket! I will have to do some hard searching for something like that! :??

Nuno930
04-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Hmmm, now I am even more confused (and husband look at me very disapprovingly when I showed him that Kate Spade :roflhard: ) I am looking for something that is nice enough to go with suits... but funky to match - well me ;) Me thinks a venture to e-bay is in order.

Jivewhistle
04-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I sooo need a knitting bag. I have nothing right now. And my favorite St. Louis Zoo tote bag is currently in use with camping stuff in it (our folded up air matress to be exact). I'm not picky though, just broke. I saw some really nice totes at Kohls when I was there last. I hope to pick up one soon.

I really need to get some freezer bags for yarn too. Right now my knitting organization consists of yarn thrown into a box thats sitting next to the dresser. I have a long, thin pencil case type thing that I put ring markers and some needles in too. My goal for this summer is to get organized! But my house is so cramped..ahhhhh!

midnightskyfibers
04-27-2005, 10:36 PM
i have a tote from art angel (http://www.artangelsite.info/default.php) that she made especially for me for my knitting stuff. It has pockets on the inside that notecards, lip balm, w/e, pen holders (also hold knitting needles), etc. I also use it as a school bag sometimes when i need only a sprial notwbook, and its plenty roomy... She designed it so that its wider on the bottom then the top, so i can fit a large ball of yarn in it and it can roll around while i knit.

you can see a pic of the bag here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artangel/8919998/ (you would have to prob email her to see if she can make one that size for you (but shes really cool about custom orders).

I also have a holder for all my notions that cant fit in the pockets of the bag or i dotn want to lose since they are small (stitch markers, plastic needles, fine guage crochet hook, etc)....the one im currently using if this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artangel/8919984/

midnightskyfibers
04-27-2005, 10:37 PM
o. and no affiliation with art angel- i just did a trade with her so thats how i have all the cool goodies from her. but her stuff is *really* cool.

KNITBIT
04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Carollovesyarn:

Where'd you get that basket? Online? :thinking: I like how you can close it up and keep things concealed. Nice feature! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

KNITBIT's BLOG-A-THON! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1035&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

KatyKoolkat
04-28-2005, 12:19 AM
All i have right now is a winnie the pooh bag that i got from wal mart for all of 10 bucks. Because I don't need a lot of yarn to carry (because I am knitting for babies) this works really well.

The only thing I need now is something to organize my needles and notions in....but I think I will be using a makeup case!! hee hee....just like my dollar to go as far as it can go!!

Katy

carollovesyarn
04-28-2005, 03:24 AM
Carollovesyarn:

Where'd you get that basket? Online? :thinking: I like how you can close it up and keep things concealed. Nice feature! Trader Joe's. My store has them out front in bins.

kdavies
04-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm in LOVE with that basket! It's perfect for my 'around the house' knitting. But, again, I'd feel guilty spending money on it when I can make one. How annoying!

Mer
04-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Hmmm, now I am even more confused (and husband look at me very disapprovingly when I showed him that Kate Spade :roflhard: ) I am looking for something that is nice enough to go with suits... but funky to match - well me ;) Me thinks a venture to e-bay is in order.

Did ya see the Jordana Paige (http://www.jordanapaige.com) one? Very chic, I think. I've heard good things about it. Obviously, I really want to get it but can't justify another purse at the moment. ;)

Holly
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I got the bagsmith bag for Christmas and I love it! However, I ended up using it as my general bag to organize most of my notions, and I just bought an $8 tote bag with a zipper for the project I want to carry around with me. The bagsmith bag sits right next to my fav knitting chair :D .

Holly

Nuno930
04-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Did ya see the Jordana Paige (http://www.jordanapaige.com) one? Very chic, I think. I've heard good things about it. Obviously, I really want to get it but can't justify another purse at the moment. ;)

I did thank you! I do like it... I just wish it had a bit more personality. If it came in lepoard print I'd be all over it.

Mer
04-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I did thank you! I do like it... I just wish it had a bit more personality. If it came in lepoard print I'd be all over it.

Oh, gotcha! :thumbsup:

brendajos
04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
did you look at the graffiti version? i called them today and she said the messenger bag is hopefully going to be in at the end of summer. i think that one will be better for me since it is bigger. she said it is ment for the people who are carrying around afghans and chunkier knits and stuff.

i can imagine the price...*sigh* that means less yarn right? hmmm...okay

catknit
04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
I just bought a knitting bag from this store, I found on ebay. She's making me a custom bag and needle case. I couldn't resist.

Here is her website: http://www.mimiscustomtotes.com/

KellyK
04-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Those are AWESOME!!

rebecca
04-29-2005, 02:27 AM
:heart: that bag!!

javede
04-29-2005, 04:51 AM
I sew my own bags and purses!
I have one special knitting bag thatI made for the sole purpose of transporting my knitting. But mostly I only carry around small projects that I just stuff into my current bag.
I'm currently working on a new, larger and more sturdier bag for my knitting, so that the bag will "stand up" while I knit out of it.

Edit: and here's a link to a the bag LINK (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5247&highlight=#5247).

P.S.: I hate the system we have on campus! While writing this the consol crashed a thillion time :evil: . Therefor I added the link now that I'm at home with my Windows PC!

Nuno930
04-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I just bought a knitting bag from this store, I found on ebay. She's making me a custom bag and needle case. I couldn't resist.

Here is her website: http://www.mimiscustomtotes.com/

Now that my friend is perfect! Ooooh what size did you get?

KellyK
04-29-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm currently working on a new, larger and more sturdier bag for my knitting, so that the bag will "stand up" while I knit out of it.
That is EXACTLY what Im looking for in a knitting bag!

Jivewhistle
04-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I :heart: that mimiscustomtotes bag too!! But $60 WoW!

I really should ask my mom to make me a knitting bag sometime. (She's an awesome sewer).

Rebecca, I :heart: your new avatar!!!

catknit
04-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Here are the specs on my bag. I got a standard size, I know she can make larger ones too. She is very nice to deal with. Her stuff is lovely (and a bit of $$ but if I don't treat myself, who will? ;) )

custom order* for Joy
1 Large knitting bag made from Black/ivory scroll and pink lined with solid pink fabric/pink tie
3 very large inside pockets with 5 slim pockets to hold needles and 4 shorter pockets to hold scissors/needles/etc. Pockets made from*black/ivory scroll *fabric, black handles.

*14" wide at top seam to seam, 11" tall,* 5 1/2" deep
+ matching 3 row needle case

from MIMI'S SEWING BOUTIQUE

Nuno930
04-29-2005, 12:54 PM
She is very nice to deal with. Her stuff is lovely (and a bit of $$ but if I don't treat myself, who will? )

My thoughts exactally... I figure I am worth at least the $60 ;)

Thanks for the link! She even has leopard print!! :happydance:

JessicaSant
04-29-2005, 01:53 PM
my step mom got me a nice laura ashely straw shoulder bag... Its very cute, but not enough pockets and its starting to come apart.

I work at Eastern Mountain Sports on the weekends, and I saw this awesome tote:
MountainSmith Zip Top Tote (http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444258 6087&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488340369&fromTemplate=search%2Fresults.jsp&bmUID=1114797051826)

Lots of pockets, and its all tough looking :) kinda fun seeing as though its holding such girly stuff inside it :)

roxyquiksilver34
04-29-2005, 04:14 PM
I just ordered my 2nd Jordana Paige bag :cheering:

kitkat
04-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Oh oh oh I am going to have to go visit the Traders Joe's that is near me, unfortunately it has a very nice yarn shop right across the street, last week I was in there and spent 50 bucks on the coolest yarn...they take 3-4 different yarns and batch them all together and sell them in a big huge roll.....i will have to take pictures and post, so so pretty...and cant wait to work with it.

I love all the bags! Right now I am just using a variety of those cheap denim bags you can get at target, and a denim backpack bag from old navy that closes at the top.

kitkat
04-30-2005, 12:07 PM
I have a really cute pattern for a quilted bag called a Schlep bag which i might make up in some fun batiks for this. If anyone wants the pattern (it used to be online but then was removed), let me know and I can probably get it to ya!

feministmama
05-03-2005, 01:24 AM
How is it that just hearing about other people discussing bags makes me want one???? :drooling:

KellyK
05-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I agree.....Im VERY suggestible!

HeatherFeather
05-03-2005, 07:25 AM
I got a bag from Avon. It was my purse, but too big with too many pockets....but then wow...it'll hold a nice big ole ball of yarn and all my notions!!!! They had a blue one and a yellow one...very Vera looking.