PDA

View Full Version : Manly-Man Scarf

cheesiesmom
04-29-2005, 11:24 AM
I know it's only (almost) May, but I've been thinking about Christmas gifts. My bosses (2) are the typical hard to buy for men. I was thinking about knitting each of them a scarf from some really pricy wool, i.e., cashmere, alpaca. But I can't find a good pattern that would end up looking "high end." All the scarves I find are definitely feminine. I suppose I could improvise, but I'd feel better knowing what the finished product will look like, especially if I'm using an expensive wool. (I do love patterns and instructions.)

Any ideas?? Pattern/yarn suggestions gratefully appreciated. (insert smiley of your choosing. I can't figure out why they don't show up on my posts, particularly since they're all so cute. I love cute, too.)

Gladys

KellyK
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I say just go really really really SIMPLE.

How about knitting a long narrow tube on circs, put 2 thin CC stripes toward each end, then sew up the ends with the CC in like a quilting st? That way, you will have a FUNCTIONAL and WARM double-knit type fabric with just a SIMPLE design?

I would use alpaca...something really soft & warm, but not "fuzzy". Solid colors that match their winter coats. Simple design, but the fiber will say "high-end".

brendajos
04-29-2005, 11:59 AM
i hafta ask...what is a CC stripe?

KellyK
04-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Contrasting Color

brendajos
04-29-2005, 12:13 PM
oh sheeesh...sorry...i sat and looked at that for the longest trying to figure out what stitch that was....

Rennagayle
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
This (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel172064&rsc=tc16&page=1&site=) is a simple scarf on Martha Stewart's website. I first chose it due to the fact that the instructions are so simple for a beginning knitter. I then decided I'd also like to buy some really nice wool to make men's sweaters with it for the special guys in my life, for Christmas. The simplicity of it's design would show off a nice yarn, and done in an earthy color, it would look somewhat masculine, I think. :D

Jouf
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
What about this? I just finished it for my husband. Here's a link.

http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm

Rennagayle
04-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Jouf, that's simply beautiful! What yarn did you use?

KellyK
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
That is SO pretty, jouf! And, what a great first cabling project! Hmmmmm......... :thinking:

brookenic
04-29-2005, 12:52 PM
That's really good. :thumbsup: I'm going to make my hubby one of those also. In fact I think that's my reply when anyone finishes something :rofling: Oh here's a pic of the manliest scarf I've made

Jouf
04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Actually used Plymouth Encore (20% wool/80% acrylic) because I had it handy. But I'm making the Irish Hiking Hat now for a friend who's moving to England out of a gray Paton wool and it is gorgeous. I'm going to make a matching scarf out of that too. But I like how it turned out in the Encore, and it feels pretty nice.

Rennagayle
04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Hmm....I have 4 balls of Plymouth Encore on hand, which I bought off eBay. I've been trying to decide what to make with it. How many balls did it take you? I've been itching to try my hand at cables ever since I saw them demonstrated on Knitty Gritty. I thought they'd be so hard, but watching the lady demonstrate them really took the fear out of it for me. :D

cheesiesmom
04-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Jouf==

I looked at your cable pattern, but it doesn't call for cable holders or any special equipment. Did that pattern happen with just ks and ps?

Jouf
04-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Rennagayle - it took two skeins for the scarf. I knit it on size 8's. It was not as wide as they said it should be, but it doesn't really matter. The hat will only take one skein, I think.

The cables were really easy - once I quit trying to force getting all three on before I slid the other three off. Now if I can only grab one before sliding off and holding the first three, that's what I do. Then I grab the other two and then switch them. It helped me to stop gritting my teeth so hard! I may knit a bit on the tight side.

cheesiesmom
04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Oop! just looked at it again and saw the directions. Gotta learn to read.

Jouf
04-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Cheesiesmom - yep - all knit and purl. Then on the eighth row, you do the cable without a special cable needle. Sounds scary at first to pull those three stitches off ON PURPOSE, but it isn't! You hold them against the needle with your finger so you don't lose them.

Rennagayle
04-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Now if I can only grab one before sliding off and holding the first three, that's what I do. Then I grab the other two and then switch them. It helped me to stop gritting my teeth so hard! I may knit a bit on the tight side.

Um...I'm sure once I actually attempt doing cables, that will all make sense to me. :?? :figureditout:

cheesiesmom
04-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounds scary at first to pull those three stitches off ON PURPOSE, but it isn't! You hold them against the needle with your finger so you don't lose them.

Wait, I don't get what you're saying. You just let the 3 stitches hang by their lone, out in the air, off needles, waiting to be knit? Don't you use a dp or a cable holder to slip the 3 stitches to, knit the next 3 and then knit from the dp the 3 for the twist?

I've done cables before and they are really easy. It looks much more intimidating than it really is. (Except for that ultimate sweater someone posted awhile back. That was intimidating!) It's really simple to do considering it adds a lot of punch to an item. Lotsa bang for the buck, so to speak. I didn't read the directions to the scarf completely and didn't see where the twist came in or the part that said cable holders required.

Wouldn't it be less scary just to slide the stitches to a dp? At my age, the less scary in my life the better.

Gladys

[/quote]

Jouf
04-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Gladys, yep - you can use a cable needle, but for me it takes so much longer. Easier for me the other way. But whatever's less scary - go for it!

suziehomemaker
04-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I made the Irish Hiking scarf too using a cable needle. I still don't have anyone in mind for it yet but it was a nice project to learn how to cable for me. It may end up being a Christmas present or a nice gift for the Salvation Army.

I ended up making the Besotted one too for a friend of mine (We're both alumni for the Chi Omega sorority and the XO pattern brought back so many memories for me).

I'll try to post them tomorrow after my DH shows me where he saved them on this computer :rollseyes:

benniesma
04-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Oooo, that Irish Hiking Scarf is beautiful!! Can I say that a manly-man scarf is beautiful? I just might have to add that to my to-do list!

kimmie
04-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I made the Irish Hiking Scarf a few months ago. I didn't have any idea who I was going to make it for, but my husband saw me knitting it and asked for it. Now THAT is a first. It turned out great...made with Wool of the Andes.
kimmie

Freyja
05-03-2005, 08:22 PM
If you knit 4 purl 4 then alternate you get a basket patter. Make as thick or thin as you like. Looks very masculine. Very textured looking. I used Blue sky's browntweed bulky alpaca/wool.

willowmom
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
How about knitting a long narrow tube on circs, put 2 thin CC stripes toward each end, then sew up the ends with the CC in like a quilting st?

Kelly K,

I don't get this. How do you put in the CC? Also, how do you sew up the ends like a quilting st? This sounds like a great simple pattern....one even I could manage with a little more direction.

Does it not make the scarf very bulky? I guess you've have to use a fine yarn.

Help!
Kathie

KellyK
05-04-2005, 08:32 AM
When you change colors, you just start knitting with the new color....I know that feels strange when you are a new knitter, but it really does work.

This WOULD make a very WARM scarf. Men are all into "utility", so I thought it would be a good idea. You are right, though....If you used a finer gauge yarn, it would be less so.

As for quilt st-ing the edge....I cant find a good pic of what that looks like. I know Ive seen a link around here somewhere of edge-stitching pictures...maybe someone will share.

But, basically, you can flatten and sew up the ends however you like. You could even kitchener st them or do a 3-needle bind-off (Amy has videos) if you wanted a more invisible finished edge.