PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sales???

suziehomemaker
04-30-2005, 11:31 AM
OK - I've heard of a few people hitting the yarn/craft jackpot by shopping estate sales. I think I could drag my DH to them because he loves to refurbish stuff but where do you find the advertisements for these? Right now we only get a Sunday paper (for the Jo-Ann's & Michael's coupons of course :D ) is there a special section in the paper to find these things or a website?

Nuno930
04-30-2005, 11:34 AM
In our town there is a huge garage sale section in Friday's paper (in the Market Place section). Estate sales and auctions are usually listed there too.

PS - your name made me giggle :rofling:

MrsBear87
04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Does your local paper have an online version? Might check there for classifieds.

Also, auction houses listed online in your area.

Happy hunting!

Rennagayle
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Ours is right below the garage sale section of the classifieds, which I read online.

I've not hit any huge jackpots, yet, but I'm hopeful. :pray: I did get a bundle of straight needles for fifty cents, once. There were only two matching pair out of the whole lot, but I considered that well worth fifty cents! :mrgreen:

My biggest find was a cone (nearly two pounds) of a lambs wool/alpaca blend fingering yarn for a dollar at Goodwill. :cheering: I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I used a tiny crochet hook, as I didn't yet have tiny knitting needles, and crocheted a swatch to see if it would felt, and it felted wonderfully. I'm thinking of maybe dying it with Kool-Aide, then knitting a bag to felt. I just can't decide. :thinking:

Jivewhistle
04-30-2005, 04:41 PM
I want to check out knitting stuff next time we're at the flea market. I still have yet to make it to some Goodwill's.

Today, I thought I was going to score big on some knitting books....but no. :( There is a HUGE book fair going on here this weekend...one of the biggest in the midwest....and there's over 800,000 books! You think there would be ONE book on knitting right?? Ugh, nope! I could only find a couple crochet magazines from the 70's. Then again, the place was quite disorganized, so there might have been a couple somewhere. But my boyfriend says he'll just take me to the damn bookstore. :happydance:

suziehomemaker
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
It's now my mission to actually read the paper and not just scan for the coupons! With nice weather coming I plan to be a bargain hunter this summer!

P.S Nuno930 - "Suziehomemaker" came from my Dad. I made him a pair of wool socks and he just looked absolutely shocked with my new-found love/talent for knitting. He said "Aren't you just the little Suziehomemaker now?!?" with amazement in his voice. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up if you couldn't tell by his reaction . . .