PDA

View Full Version : Patterns for Men

Kilgore_Trout
04-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey there! I'm a male knitter with a bit of an inconveniece. Although I love knitting things for my girl friends, there seems to be a scarcity of patterns for men. Bags? sweaters? scarves? ties? I know you ladies have those patterns somewhere!!
Thanks!
Nathan

brendajos
04-30-2005, 04:06 PM
girlfriends? lol

sorry i am not any help in that as i haven't looked for any. maybe googling knitting patterns for men?

Julie
04-30-2005, 04:14 PM
There's quite a few men's patterns here (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php). Can't say whether they are great or not, because I haven't looked at length....but there are a bunch!

amy
04-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Welcome Nathan! Love your username. DH is a huge Kurt Vonnegut fan.

Have you looked through the free patterns section on this site yet? Those are all of my favorite free patterns (compiled 4 or 5 months ago, from Freepatterncentral.com and from faerycrafty's blog. I looked through thousands and thousands of patterns to make that index of 550+ links).

Check out the men's sweaters, the gloves, the socks, the bags, and don't forget the fun misc. section (that's where you'll find men's ties!).

Amy

Egeria
05-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Cable knits are great for men! I did a cable scarf for my DH. He wore it a coupla times but I think the slagging at work got to him as he's never worn it since!

Now I'm thinking of making him a sweater. Tell me I'm not insane!

Kilgore_Trout
05-01-2005, 05:37 AM
eh hem....girlfriends as in girls that are friends :P Do you really think a male knitter is straight? ;) Thanks for all the tips, I checked out this site a bit more thoroughly and have found some good projects to get going!
amy - thanks! :)
Egeria - go for it!!! You may be crazy, but that doesn't hinder you from throwing down some fab cables!

Egeria
05-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Egeria - go for it!!! You may be crazy, but that doesn't hinder you from throwing down some fab cables!

True 'nuff! And I wouldn't let him wear a cable sweater to work either so he might just get away with it. Will be checking out some books today so hopefully I find something he likes the look of!

Of course, I'm on a yarn diet at the moment so whatever I find will have to wait. Man I hate dieting!

KellyK
05-01-2005, 10:09 AM
eh hem....girlfriends as in girls that are friends :P Do you really think a male knitter is straight? ;)
:roflhard:
Actually, Joel is here so he can bond with his wife! Which is quite admirable, unless Joel is a big, fat liar. (Im kidding, Joel!!!)
WELCOME, Kilgore!! :waving:
Love, KellyK, owner of THIS BOOK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684800535/qid=1114956775/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-4570399-9455067?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

brendajos
05-01-2005, 10:28 AM
eh hem....girlfriends as in girls that are friends :P Do you really think a male knitter is straight? ;)

lmao....well why the heck are all my gay friends making me knit for THEM then...sheeeeeeeeesh i'm being robbed! ;)

Kilgore_Trout
05-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Brenda, it just menas that your knitting is so superior that they're too embarassed to even try!

brendajos
05-01-2005, 01:09 PM
lol...wow look at that...impressive flattery...even if it is all lies! ;)

nah they are taking up a collection to get me a rocking chair to do my knitting in. i don't wanna tell them that i am secretly psyched at that idea! :lol:

perced
05-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Phildar (http://www.phildar.com/us/default.asp) has great sweater patterns for men in their catalogs. You can see all of the available patterns from each catalog on their site. So cool! I just received my order from them in less than a week. The instructions are in french, but i have heard they are easy to follow. I have a very limited understanding of french, since highschool was quite awhile ago. I plan on using an online translator to help. They are also available from a store in canada with an english insert. Postage to the states was more than i was willing to pay though.