PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!! My first felted project...

knitqueen
04-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I made a booga bag using Wool of the Andes by Knit Picks, and I've just finished felting it. It is blocking right now which is why the picture looks so weird and unfinished :lol: but the felting went great, I found the PERFECT box to block it with, and I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! :cheering: I wish my picture showed the colours better. I used 'cherry blossom' and 'carrot' from http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103 The i-cord strap is in the cherry blossom as well.

:happydance:

P.S. How do I include those cool internet link things that so many of you do?? You know, where it doesn't actually show the address, you just have to click on a bolded word to get there?? I feel like such a dweeb that I can't figure it out. :rollseyes: :oops:

Jivewhistle
04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
That looks great!!! :cheering:

I really need to do this booga bag soon....

twiggyann
04-30-2005, 05:27 PM
if you hover over the URL button it will show you the format to use. Personally, unless it's a long url I like to see the actual url so I know where I'm going easily.

benniesma
04-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Looks fabulous! I need to try me one of those Boogas.

Rennagayle
05-01-2005, 01:05 AM
That looks SO cool! I can't wait to try one myself. I really like the colors you chose, too. :D

brookenic
05-01-2005, 01:08 AM
That looks good. I still haven't picked out what colors to make mine. :??

knitqueen
05-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Awwww, thanks all!! :D

I'll post another picture once it's fully assembled and ready to model.

:thumbsup:

Anne
05-01-2005, 02:05 AM
:XX: great job. I :heart: the color. :thumbsup:

Egeria
05-01-2005, 03:16 AM
That Booga bag is awesome!! Great choice of colours :)

VictoiseC
05-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow that is so pretty! I love it! I have some Knitpicks yarn... did you use two strands held together? Yeah! Let's see the finished pic with the icord!

KellyK
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I found the PERFECT box to block it with
What box did you use? I remember a thread here somewhere with folks asking about boxes for felting.... If you could lead them to the right isle at Sams Club or Costco, I bet they would be grateful!

That bag looks FANTASTIC. Make sure you take it with you for Worldwide Knit In Public Day....it's SURE to get noticed with those FABULOUS bright colors!!

if you hover over the URL button it will show you the format to use. Personally, unless it's a long url I like to see the actual url so I know where I'm going easily.
When you DO see one of those short links, Twig, if you hover over the bolded words, the URL will show up in the bar on the lower left corner of your window....

knitqueen
05-01-2005, 10:21 AM
No, I used a single strand. :X: It knitted up really quick and easy and I didn't worry about it looking perfect because the felting would cover small mistakes. I used http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php to get the stripe pattern. VERY cool!

:cheering:

Jivewhistle
05-01-2005, 11:03 AM
This is how you make a link in just one word...

Highlight the word (or words) you want people to click on. Now, copy the link. In your post, click on "URL" button at the top of the box. Now, in the first [url] you want to add an = sign after url but before the end bracket. Now paste your link after that = sign. You should be all set. I hope I explained that alright :D

Silver
05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
That is fabulous!! I don't really need ANOTHER item on my to-do list, but man, that's making me want to make one too! :)

knitqueen
05-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Here it is. The finished object!! :thumbsup:

oshnpashn
05-01-2005, 04:20 PM
That is Ab Fab!!! Thanks for sharing the pic cuz I was wondering about the KnitPicks yarn. Now I know when I get that far on my list of projects (yeah, something for ME) I now know that yarn felts wonderfully!!! :XX: :XX: :cheering:

knitqueen
05-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Now if I could only figure out how to make the bottom a bit sturdier :thinking: . It's pretty floppy and won't hold its flat shape once there are things in the bag. Oh well, it's cute, right??!!! :thumbsup:

Contiknitter Kelly
05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Knitqueen!
OMG I :heart: your bag!!! And the colors are delicious :drooling: .
Makes me want to make another felted bag myself!
Excellent job! :happydance:

Kelly

Rennagayle
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Knitqueen, could you possibly cut out a piece of sturdy cardboard to place in the bottom? I'm not sure if that would work or not....or maybe even a piece of firm plastic. Whatever you used, you could cover with a thin fabric (something very "drapey"), by spraying the piece with spray adhesive before covering it with the fabric.

Or, you could even knit a piece (square or rectangle) from the same yarn, plenty big enough so that once you've felted it, you could cut it in a shape to match whatever bottom piece you chose (cardboard or plastic), then glue it to the top of that piece.

I'm not really sure how much sense I just made, but it made good sense in my head. :??

lisak
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
That is SO cute and I love the colors - they are so very summer!

I can't wait to start on my own bag. I bought the yarn about 3 weeks ago and still haven't started due to other projects. Hopefully I can post my own photo soon!

Hopefully mine will look as good as yours too! You did a great job!! :cheering:

VictoiseC
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmmm, how about taking Rennagayles idea one step further... instead of having to knit a piece and felt it, if you have an old sweater you hate or find one at a thrift shop, you could felt that (heavily) and then just cut a piece out to insert in the bag.

The cardboard would be easy too but I'm not sure if I like cardboard in such a beautiful bag.

I can't believe you only use one strandof yarn. It seems so thin for such a thick bag. (I know the felting changes it but still...)
I've got to make that bag! :D

amp926
05-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I am pretty new to knitting but I read the pattern for the booga bag and I think that I can do it... I just have a few questions about the bag. The pattern calls for Noro yarn, which is a little too expensive for me!!!! I like the yarn that knitqueen used. Do I use the needle size that the pattern calls for or do I have to adjust it for the yarn that I am using? I hope it is not a stupid question!!!!

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Amanda

Rennagayle
05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Ooh, good idea, Victoise, of felting an old sweater. I'll have to remember that when I finally get around to attempting my first bag. I have a few old woolen sweaters I got super cheap at Goodwill, and that makes so much more sense than using up good yarn (not to mention the time involved knitting another piece).

As to the plastic, I don't think the plastic alone would look good at all, but was just thinking that if it was completely covered on each side with felted fabric (so the plastic doesn't show, or cut into the bag), it would give a sturdy bottom to the bag.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Now if I could only figure out how to make the bottom a bit sturdier :thinking: . It's pretty floppy and won't hold its flat shape once there are things in the bag.

I've made several boogas, and had the same problem. For the last one I made, I knit the bottom in lamb's pride worsted, using a double strand; That made the bottom a LOT sturdier... I also carried this double strand a few (maybe 5?) rows up the body of the bag when I picked up stitches, then switched to noro for the rest. it was cheaper than using noro for the bottom, and the double strand really seemed to help. It DOES make the bottom of the bag a little wider than the opening, but I was able to fix that with blocking, and it's not noticible
I also thought about using a piece of cardboard in the bottom, but knitting (and felting) a cover for it in the same yarn as the bag.

carollovesyarn
05-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Lining your purse in fabric helps make it sturdier as it keeps it from stretching. For the bottom, plastic needlepoint canvas cut to size helps. You can cover it in a fabric 'pillowcase' and place in the bottom (so you can take it out and wash it if it gets dirty). I got some plastic canvas at my local craft store.

I love your purse stripes.

Carol

knitqueen
05-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I am going to be knitting another one for a friend and will try something, not sure what yet, but the one that sounded easiest was to do a double strand for the bottom of the bag.

gardenia
05-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow, that's beautiful! :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
05-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Some great ideas about the bottom of the bag! I think I like the double strand the best also and will probably try that. If I ever get around to my first booga bag!!!!

knitqueen
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I just went a bought some of that plastic canvas stuff and made a bottom for my already finished booga bag. I think it will help a lot, although I may still knit and felt another piece to fit inside the bottom also - just to make it look prettier!! :D

On the booga bag that I am currently knitting, I did a double strand for the bottom of the bag and first few rows of the side. When it's done, I'll let you all know which method worked better for a sturdier bottom.

:XX:

DotMom61
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I love the idea of the plastic mesh. I think I would find some pretty silk fabric to match the bag, and make a "slip cover" for it. That would look so nice!!! :inlove:

kemp
06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
:heart: :heart: :heart: the bag. I'm going to have to try the stripes generator.

I put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of my little felted purse and that has worked fine.

when you mentioned the mesh though, it did occur to me that a mesh piece needlepointed with the yarn might be cool.