PDA

View Full Version : Magic Loop and ladders

nanettecelina
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm working on my third pair of socks using the Magic Loop method (one circular needle) and just can't seem to get past those pesky ladders between needles. I had no problem when using DP needles, but this has me stumped. I'm using JaWol Superwash (a wonderful yarn) and have only used this yarn since discovering this method, but I doubt it's the yarn, I think it's me. I'm pulling the yarn snug between changing needles, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

MrsBear87
05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I haven't used the yarn you mentioned, but have had similar issues with Magic Loop knitting.

For me, a lot of it had to do with the stitch I was doing. Some hide it better than otheers. No matter how tightly I pulled, or loosely I worked, there that gap was! I've seen where folks vary the point where the gap occurs in the stitching to avoid ladders, but I found that to be a pain and slowed down my knitting.

I finally just bought a short pair of circs. I've used dpns, but find them a bit cumbersome. Or, it could be I'm just butterfingered!

nanettecelina
05-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have worked on two circulars for socks, but I really enjoy just the one needle, and am such a sucker for keeping at a problem until it's solved. :??

ChroniclesofYarnia
05-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I do 2 socks on one circ, and don't have a problem with ladders. I do the first 3 stitches (or 2 for my kids socks) nice and tight, and then the rest regular. This works alot better for me than just tightening the first stitch.

nanettecelina
05-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definately give it a try. I do one sock at a time myself and the yarn is so wonderful and the socks fit so perfectly otherwise I hate to think that that's the problem. I'll try it today and see if it helps.

Thanks! :thumbsup: