PDA

View Full Version : Can this pattern be modified?

Jivewhistle
05-01-2005, 08:08 PM
I :heart: this (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html)dishcloth pattern.

Does anyone know if the pattern can be modified so I can make a kitchen table placemat? And help would be much appreciated! Thanks :D

Egeria
05-02-2005, 04:08 AM
It looks to me like you could knit Row 2 until you have more than 44 stitches on the needle. You could just keep knitting until you have half the desired width of your placemat, then do the decreases.

It shouldn't be too hard to experiment!

KellyK
05-02-2005, 07:58 AM
This is the same pattern that made my NEBB. The nature of the pattern is to make a SQUARE object, but most placemats are not square.

The YO's cause increases, SO, I think it might work if, when you reached the desired height, you did a YO and then k2tog at the beginning of each row. Keep doing that until the longest edge is as wide as you want the placemat, then start your decreases to make the other corner.

Can anyone else picture this working?

HeatherFeather
05-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Yep, Kelly, that's exactly what you'd do.

The YO gives the increase at the beg of the row..so by YO, K2tog at the appropriate place to give you the rectangle size you'd like would be just perfect. Easy Peasy...any other questions for us, just fire away!!!

Jivewhistle
05-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Ok, this sounds great! But let me see if I got it right...

I still cast on and knit 4 for the first row.

I'm going to k2, yo, knit across the row and repeat this until I have the desired height of the placemat.

Now, I'm going to yo, k2tog, knit to the end of the row until I have the desired length of the placemat. (?)

And finally... k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, knit to the end of row until I have 4 (I guess it will depend on how many I have left on the needle) stitches left. And bind off.

Did I get all that right? Thanks so much for you help!

And KellyK, what is "NEBB"?? You have me stumped..lol

HeatherFeather
05-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeppers....you've got it exactly right!!! :)

and...I glazed over the NEBB too!!! lol....splain lucy please....

KellyK
05-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Never Ending Baby Blanket

I went ON and ON about it in my blog & elsewhere.... ;)

Jivewhistle
05-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I tried finding your NEBB but I'll have to look again.

I have a couple more quick questions about this pattern. My increase and decrease sides don't exactly match. Now, I'm not sure if it's because my k2tog might be a little off (sloppy?) or if the pattern is just that way.

I'll post some pics here and see what you think...

If it is the pattern that makes it not match exactly, is there any way TO make the sides match by adjusting the pattern (w/out screwing it up..lol). It's not really a huge deal they don't match, just one of those things thats bugging me..lol.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

HeatherFeather
05-03-2005, 07:19 AM
It looks really good!!!! I think it might be the nature of the pattern...I have made a bazillion of these....and your's looks like mine do!! Also remember, it is a dish cloth....I am unclear as what you mean by uneven, or not matching...you mean from the right side, isn't in line with the left side increase? That is the case becasue you are only increasing on one row. Does that make sense? I can't wait to see your placemat!!!

KellyK
05-03-2005, 07:21 AM
I dont see what you are seeing, Jive....it looks FANTASTIC!

Jivewhistle
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Especially looking at it from a little far away, I can't notice.

The uneven part I was talking about is the increase sides compared to the decrease sides. But I think I may just need to get better at my k2tog stitch.

I knit this up for my Grandma, and the placemats will be done in a wine color for my mom. I need to get some more wine and white yarn too so I can make her matching dishcloths from this pattern. They'll look great in her country kitchen :)

Jivewhistle
05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Ok...need a *little* more help here....

For the length of the placemat (the yo, k2tog)...I think I am understanding it wrong. I'm thinking I yo right at the beginning of the row...but that cant be right. So I should just k2, yo, k2tog (for the length). Is that right?

Also, KK is currently helping me figure out how I would make the decorative edge just a bit bigger. So instead of doing k2, yo, knit (for the increase) I would k4, yo, knit. But I'm not sure how the rest of the pattern would go...

Any and all help...much appreciated again :D :thumbsup:

:XX: :XX:

KellyK
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
For the increases, you just YO.

To keep the height the same & continue to increase the WIDTH, you YO & K2tog.

to DEcrease, you k2tog, YO & K2tog again.

Jivewhistle
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Yup, I understand all that now....

However.... the yo, k2tog....just doesn't look right. On my practice piece here....to increase the width, I k2, yo, k2tog. Something just isn't right there :(

I shall keep trying though.... :XX:

HeatherFeather
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
how about this

Increase:
K2,yo, k to the end

Decrease
k2, k2 tog, yo, k2 tog, k to the end

Maintain (body of the placemat)
K2, yo, k2 tog, k to the end

Yvonne
05-10-2005, 07:01 AM
I can't find it now (will keep looking) but a few years ago I found the pattern for this cloth except it was a rectangle and not a square, which is what you want to do. I used it to make a blanket.
Anyway, you increase at the beginning of each row just like the square cloth pattern until the width is what you want, which is the straight edge, not the width of the live stitches on the needle. Then you must increase on one edge at the beginning of the row, but then decrease on the other edge, also at the beginning of the row till the length is what you want. Then decrease at the beginning of ALL rows to come to a point and end. Here's what you do at the beginning of the confusing part: (rectangle section)
First Row: K2, YO, K to end. (inc edge)
Next row: K1, K2 tog, YO, K2 tog, K to end (dec edge)

Repeat these two rows for a while till it's big enough, then just do Row 2 till you run out of stitches and bind off.

In this way, you keep the slantiness of the pattern going. Try a little swatch and you will see what I mean. The most important thing is to make some sort of marker so you will remember which is the inc edge and which is the dec edge during that rectangular part.

If you google on "Knitting pattern diagnonal garter stitch rectangle" you'll find places that describe the pattern in possibly a more understandable way than I did here. But trust me, it works!

Jivewhistle
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks Yvonne!

I found this (http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/afdiagrec.htm)link after googling. I think its what I need to do here. I'll practice on a swatch here in a bit. Thanks agan!

Yvonne
05-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes, that link pretty much explains it, though I think that pattern calls for you to slip the first stitch rather than knit it, I guess for a better-looking edge, but the premise of making the rectangular shape is the same.
Glad I could help!