PDA

View Full Version : Your FAVORITE knitting book ~~ please share

knitqueen
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
So Mother's Day is fast approaching and I've been dropping hints left right and center......my dh isn't the keenest when it comes to these kinds of things so I need to be blunt!! :lol: So I've suggested things like house plants, Starbucks coffee mugs, etc., then I got to thinking "Hmmmmmm, what knitting book would I REALLY like that I wouldn't justify buying for myself????" So I thought I'd ask you ladies! I'm a beginner/intermediate knitter and I like modern/hip/(yet not too weird) patterns. Not necessarily clothing, I like accessory type things, bags, hats, etc., and I have two young children that I like to knit for. I've looked into books like The Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits, Stitch 'n Bitch (the first one or Nation), and The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, but I haven't personally seen any of them (just looked on-line) and I don't want to ask for something that I won't use.

Looking for any and all suggestions!!

:XX:

benniesma
05-03-2005, 02:01 PM
I have the Yarn Girls Guide. I like it, there are a few sweater patterns that I know I'll try and actually wear! gasp! But, they only use chunky yarn, so it's a little limiting that way. And most patterns call for knitting with 2 strands. I think that can be a little expensive after awhile!

Let us know what book you do get. I need to expand my knitting library too!

brookenic
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
I love The Knitters' Bible. There are simple patterns and more challenging ones when you get to that. It has a st. library and lots of great info about Knitting. I love mine, well the library's copy for now. I'll get around to buying it one day. :D

knitqueen
05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Well who would have ever thought of the library?? :doh: I didn't until I read your post -- I just requested 5 knitting books from our public library. YAY!!

:XX:

Silver
05-03-2005, 03:16 PM
When it comes to being informative, I love Vogue Knitting, the Ultimate Knitting Book. I consider myself to be an experienced knitter, and I STILL refer to it from time to time. It's full of techniques and info, not patterns.

For all those little tips and tricks knitters learn through experience, I love Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears.

For stories about knitting and yarn, Knit Lit and Knit Lit Too. Just good reading when you can't knit.

For patterns? Heck, I haven't met a pattern book I didn't like in *some* way, and I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

MaggieL
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I have Knitter's Finishing Techniques and Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I :heart: :heart: both of them.

Hum...I hope I have the titles right. :?? I'll go check.

Julie
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
My fave so far is Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584790873/qid=1115170926/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3268190-2986260?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). I knew from the get-go that I was going to do a lot of kid knitting, so I checked it out from the library....for two months. :oops: It has fantastic general instructions, for continental knitters (!) and the projects are arranged logically -- i.e. learn a skill, do a corresponding project. And the projects aren't tacky like a lot of beginner ones. I give it 4 stars! :thumbsup:

KnittingMom
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I love, love, love Weekend Knitting and Last Minute Knitted Gifts! I don't actually have a copy of the last book but I coveted the copy I got from the library!

feministmama
05-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I love, love, love Weekend Knitting and Last Minute Knitted Gifts! I don't actually have a copy of the last book but I coveted the copy I got from the library!

Ditto on both these titles. Really fun and interesting ideas. And weekend knitting has a whole aura of knitting in it like a list of movies with knitting and a reicepe for making cookies and tea while knitting and taking a warm bath while knitting. It's really fun. I HIGHLY recommend it.

MaggieL
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I've looked for Weekend Knitting but haven't found it. :( Is it similar to Last Minute Knitted Gifts?

Rennagayle
05-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Amy has a link on her pattern page (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/) to Amazon where Weekend Knitting can be purchased. You can read alot of customer reviews there, as well as order it, of course.

aliassak
05-05-2005, 12:24 AM
bookbookbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580175899/yarnharlot-20/103-5772736-7332618)

:thumbsup:

bubba
05-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I know this is from a few days ago, but I was up at my lake place and away from the computer for three weeks! My favorite knitting book, which I call my knitting bible, is 'Basic Knitting'. Shows you how to do almost everything you might need to know, plus a project to practice each new skill...and it has tons of pictures. It reminds me of this website, but in book form. It's published by Stackpole Books.

pat.

Nuno930
05-09-2005, 12:06 PM
So, what did you get?

knitqueen
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I didn't get any knitting books - that's okay though, I do have a whole pile of them reserved at the library, and sit here waiting for a call that they're in!! I did get a gift certificate for the craft store though, so I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to spend it!!

rebecca
05-10-2005, 01:26 AM
:heart: :heart: :heart: the knitting bible is a good treat for yourself!!
as well as vogue accessories
scarf style
100 afghan squares
loop d loop
off the top of my head.....these would all be a nice treat for u from u....we all need those!