PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo interchangeables

metalsgirl
05-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I've hesitated to purchase a set of denise's or boye's because I am used to knitting on bamboo - today on ebay, I saw a set of interchangeable bamboo needles (bamboo sisters) - has anyone heard anything about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71216&item=8189641628&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

thanks,
becky

Marnie
05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Honestly, I'd suggest against it. There's a reason why there are two overwhelmingly preferred brands of interchangeable. Many other brands come unscrewed easily, or worse, the threads at the joins become useless and you can no longer use the needles at all.
If the set you were looking at was a great deal (say $10) I'd tell you to go for it, but for the price, I think you are better off getting one of the two more reliable brands.
If you really love bamboo, you should assess why. If it's because of it's warmth and lightness, then invest in the Denise needles. But if you prefer a larger variety of sizes and don't mind a slightly heavier feel go for the needlemaster.
I'm very happy with my Denise needles. My mom has always loved bamboo (she's knit all my life) and got herself a set of bamboo interchangable but she says she's kicking herself now for not trying the Denise sooner.

metalsgirl
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
hmmm... I guess warmth and lightweight feel are a factor, but honestly, I just like bamboo because I feel like the stitches are not always on the verge of slipping off my needles!!

How do denise's compare to the plastic (I know, they are really resin) non-interchangeable needles that you can buy and how do boye's compare to the metal (like susan bates or something like that) that you can buy? I really have limited experience with anything other than the bamboo.

I have read the previous discussions on this topic, but do not remember seeing that comparison....

KellyK
05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I have knit on both bamboo and denises....I agree with you & like something that is not so slippey. Im not a big fan of aluminum.

I think you would like the denises for that reason. Yarn slides BEAUTIFULLY, but they aren't slippey like aluminum.

Marnie
05-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I second Kelly's assessment, though I'll say that my Denise needles are great for natural fibers but miserable for certain microfibers. It feels like you have to force certain fibers over them, they fight you the whole way. I've really only had this happen a couple of times. Most yarns are great.

I don't find the Denise needles to be at all like the cheapy plastic needles sold in major crafts stores. They are smooth and have a nice point, but, as Kelly said, they aren't so smooth as to throw stitches all around. They are definitely different than Bamboo, but if you are looking for interchangables, I would weigh your needs against these two major sets.

If you really can't bear to knit on anything but bamboo, the set you found might be worth while to you, but expect to be replacing it in the future. Most people report holding onto their Denise needles forever and sometiems buying additional sets so more unfinished projects can languish on the Denises they were started on. ;)

metalsgirl
05-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks Kelly and Marnie! I have only been knitting for about a year, so maybe I will "grow" into aluminum as I become more and more comfortable and actually want slippery needles... Sounds like the denises are probably the needles for me...for now....

you should be working on commission!!

(how do I insert emoticons? feel very dense right now...)

Marnie
05-03-2005, 03:57 PM
To post emoticons, simply click the guy you want inserted.
You should see them smiling away to the left of the area where you type your post.
The emoticon will be inserted at the end of your post, but you can cut and paste him whereever you like. :thumbsup:

kdavies
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I've heard a lot of people who use them say they really like them.

I had a set and had some trouble with them (cord coming unglued, stripping screws...) but I'm waiting for a replacement set before I make a final judgement. I really loved using them while I had them.

They are very hard to find, though. I've seen them for $69 and up. WEBS has a set that is (if I remember correctly) slightly different from the others, and they don't say they are by Plymouth or are Bamboo Sisters (same company) but I've been told that they are.

Personnaly, I say, give it a try. They are warranteed. But, whatever you do, go with a company you know. I'm fighting with the lady I bought mine from over the amount of time they are taking to replace them.

metalsgirl
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
ordered a denise set this morning :D (after a very, very frustrating night spent trying to knit with cotton on circular metal needles that were just too small...don't ask) - i am going to keep the bamboo in the back of my mind though

thanks for all of the advice

metalsgirl
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
ordered a denise set this morning :D (after a very, very frustrating night spent trying to knit with cotton on circular metal needles that were just too small...don't ask) - i am going to keep the bamboo in the back of my mind though

thanks for all of the advice