PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider to be fast knitting?

Joel
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
So,

I should probably list this as a poll type question... but I havent a clue what to make as the options. :D

What do you consider...
Fast knitting?
Average speed?
Slow?
Catatonic? (j/k)

How long should it take a person to get to each of the levels?

I realize i'm still a newbie to knitting and only know how to do basic knitting and it's taking me about 10 minutes to knit 52 stitches. I'm just curious what I need to be aiming for (besides quality, eveness, etc).

brendajos
05-09-2005, 02:53 PM
hmm...i think i am a fairly slow knitter but i think it also depends on the project. it is taking me forever to make any headway on the blankets i am making but it is because they are sooooooo boring to do. scarves and things i do somewhat quickly (though it still takes me a week or so to do them because of the amount of time i have to knit) i don't know...i just don't worry about it too much because i am in no hurry to get anything done...*shrug*

HeatherFeather
05-09-2005, 03:32 PM
speed can be a frustrating thing....but at this point I would just focus on the mechanics of it all. If you are a tight knitter still...that will hamper your speed somewhat. But really focus on the technique, and the speed will come!!!

kimmie
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't know if I am a fast knitter or a slow knitter. I just enjoy the process, so speed doesn't matter to me much one way or the other.
kimmie

KellyK
05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Joel, I think you should be aiming to learn skills WELL and at your own pace. I know men tend to be more result-driven, but DONT put that kind of pressure on yourself!! If you are enjoying your knitting and are having fun learning new skills, or perfecting the ones you already have, then you are doing JUST FINE.

Joel
05-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Joel, I think you should be aiming to learn skills WELL and at your own pace. I know men tend to be more result-driven, but DONT put that kind of pressure on yourself!! If you are enjoying your knitting and are having fun learning new skills, or perfecting the ones you already have, then you are doing JUST FINE.

Sorry KK, didn't mean to come across as only concentrating on speed. I AM enjoying learning these new skills. Heck, I'm enjoying knitting in general. I'm definitely concentrating on the quality which I definately still need to work on, which for me is mostly tension and making the knits even.

This post was mostly for curiousity sake. Admittedly, I'd love to be faster, mostly because I don't get a lot of time to knit but I realize that will come in time with practice. As for new skills, I'm looking forward to learning the next basic thing.... PURLing. I'm looking forward to finishing a project and posting it on this board. :D

I'm also interested to see what the deal is with that knitting right handed but not letting go of the needle thing Amy was talking about in one of the other threads.

brookenic
05-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I think how fast I knit depends on the time I have. I can knit a dishcloth in a couple hours if I don't take my hands of it. A scarf a week maybe. Hats I fly through and usually take 2-3 days. However it is very common that a scarf will take me months. And I have only knitted 2 hats one for me and one for my DH. I tend to start the dishcloths and leave it to start another one. That's because I like the beginning of Gradma's fav. dishcloth pattern better than the end. My last corner is always messed up.
Joel, Don't worry to much about it. All good things in all good time. You are doing great. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the calmness of the knit.

Joel
05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Enjoy the calmness of the knit.

You should incorporate that into your signature.... that is an EXCELLENT quote.

midnightskyfibers
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
On my good days (when i dont have shooting pains if my wrsits) I can knit about 60 st/min on circs (ie siz 0) and just a bit slower for dpns. I dont do this much though since I knit during classes, and i take notes and am talking at the same time so i cant really build up speed.

Also, knitting swiss (pikcing the stitches w yarn in the left hand) tends to be much faster than w your right hand, at least from the statistics stuff ive done with it.

rebecca
05-09-2005, 05:57 PM
midnight...i'm supposing that u mean continental knitting as the same thing that u r calling 'swiss' knitting...with the working yarn in your left hand (I just can't dig on that...i'm a thrower forever, i think).
Joel....put on some relaxing music, or some 'sound' that relaxes you...you are becoming entirely too analytical about knitting & the more analytical u become & the more questions you think of ... I wonder what will happen if...or...when...but I want to be able to do this now...and so on....practice practice and then...practice some more....i couldn't tell u how long it was before i even read ahead in my book to discover what a purl st was when i was learning...bc i was busy practicing the knits.....chill, my friend, chill...it will all come in time. I can pretty much guarantee you that there's not a person on this forum that is anxious to learn another knitting skill...gosh...several....i wish i could knit continental..but have given it up for now...i want to do entrelac so badly it's driving me nuts...and i will...in time....in my calming time...lol....now...did i just sound like your mother?! I was just going over it in my head and i sounded like MY MOTHER!! Oh my...time does come around full circle....good thing i had a cool mother....wish i'd realized that the entire time i still had her!!
work on your tension, practice just putting a loop around your right pinkie finger and around your index finger ....practice....and u will stop dropping that yarn...all of a sudden it just came to me ... after practice...lol...doesn't amy have a video on this? if so...just watch it a few times & do it at the same time...perhaps that will help.
as for your question...it's never the same...sometimes slow....sometimes medium...in the round...usually fast bc i can do it without thinking
:XY: knit on young knitter man...knit on...u r really going at it in the right way....very proud of your progress & your willingness to ask questions...right girls?!

Rorshach
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I've never noticed my speed, but am told that I go pretty fast. Generally, when I start going on my knitting, my eyes are totally riveted on what I'm doing and all background noise seems to cease, and I usually lose track of several hours. :D So I guess to answer your question, Joel, speed is irrelevent, it's whether or not I'm relaxed.

midnightskyfibers
05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
yes its also called continental. I just got used to calling it swiss since thats whats how my grandmother refers to it (there are actualyl lots of names for cont knitting)

franna724
05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
The speed with which I knit depends on several factors, how much time I have, what kind of project I'm working on, and whether I am currently bored with it.

Though I get impatient waiting for projects to be finished and worn or gifted, I don't get hung up on speed. When I try to do things quick, they usually look rushed. I just take my time, and remind myself that it'll get done eventually.

Anna