PDA

View Full Version : Need happy thoughts and good karma tomorrow!

suziehomemaker
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Here's the deal:

My husband flew out for a business trip today to the west coast, I fly out for a business trip tomorrow to the east coast. He called me from the plane this afternoon to tell me that two women were knitting in the seats near him AND not with circular needles!! So, since he's the bomb and super-social he started talking to them to find out exactly what they brought - both had straight needles, one with bamboo and the other with regular metal. They both said that no one gave them a hard time at the airport security at O'Hare!

So this leads me to my request, I'm bringing my needles with me and I'm not going to take no for an answer. I'm not checking my bags either - oh yeah - this woman is on a mission. If a TSA decides to take them then I'm going to play it super sweet, if that doesn't work I'm bringing up the volume and getting mean. I'm not a terrorist. I'm not a raging maniac just looking to stab a flight attendent with my needles - are they crazy I might break them or get stains on my yarn :roflhard:

So I'm asking for some good happy thoughts sometime tomorrow morning to help me get through that security line. I'm ready to be relaxed and knit happily at my gate and on the plane with my straight needles. Like I said, I'm on a mission . . .

Rorshach
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Good luck with that, Suzie. I'm hoping everything works out for you.

Nuno930
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
So this leads me to my request, I'm bringing my needles with me and I'm not going to take no for an answer. I'm not checking my bags either - oh yeah - this woman is on a mission. If a TSA decides to take them then I'm going to play it super sweet, if that doesn't work I'm bringing up the volume and getting mean. I'm not a terrorist. I'm not a raging maniac just looking to stab a flight attendent with my needles - are they crazy I might break them or get stains on my yarn

I would bring a self addressed stamped envelope just in case. I wouldn't push security if they are going to push the issue... but from what I have heard this is not that common of a problem

gardenia
05-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Good luck! I flew from east to west coast, the spring after 9/11. My boss was teaching me how to knit, so we both had straight needles. Hers were wooden (something fancy, maybe rosewood), mine were plastic. We did get hassled sitting in the airport (can't remember where), but were just fine on the planes. So, I would think it is only better now. I agree with Nuno, though; better safe than sorry. Take that SASE.

Have fun!

amy
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Good luck Suzie! (Take the SASE. If nothing else, by taking it, Murphy's law will be on your side. ;))

Amy

Julie
05-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Suzie, hopefully it won't be a problem....my mom has flown out of O'Hare several times recently with metal needles, no questions asked. Good luck! :D

Silver
05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
*Sending good knitting juju*
http://www.praveenj.xmgfree.com/images/smalltunnel.gif

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Yikes! That's brave of you! If you get arrested, make sure you scream "I love KH!!!!!! I love KH!!!!!" loud enough for the reporters to pick up on it ;-)

Seriously, though, check out this (http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198006c36a&print=yes) site, just in case.

Sara
05-09-2005, 11:01 PM
If DH is on the west coast, is someone available to post your bail?

Mer
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I'd print out the tsa guidelines so you have proof that they're allowed! Good luck!

Aby
05-10-2005, 02:21 AM
I would suggest printing that out, as well as bringing that SASE. I worked for Continental Airlines for many many years, pre 9/11, during 9/11, and post 9/11 and I can tell you that the only thing TSA is consistent at.. is being inconsistent.

It was a bit hairy there, right after 9/11, because the guidlines of what to bring, weren't clear. It got better, as time went on... but now, you are faced with new issues, because as time has passed, security screeners have gotten lax with their searches and such.. so they either tend to let things through without issue, or they overcompensate and just deny everything.

Either way, good luck to you and have a safe flight. :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
So I got to work this morning and almost chickened out. I don't like having to change what I bring with me on trips based on the whim of a TSA screener. Traveling for work sucks as it is so bringing my knitting with me makes the time go by just a little easier. Plus I miss my DH like a crazy schoolgirl!
I'm going for it. I have everything printed out and I'm going to hide a SASE in my knitting bag. I'm worried that if they see that they'll think I'll back down!
If they say no I may just cry - that might work to my benefit :cheering:

kemp
05-10-2005, 11:36 AM
don't be worried...I just flew with mine with not even a glance...good luck!

benniesma
05-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Let us know how it went! I have two trips planned this summer that I'll need to fly. I was so sad that I wouldn't be able to bring my knitting. Was thinking of buying Denises just so I could knit!

brendajos
05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
:lol: can i say that i was sitting here at my desk when my ops manager came wandering over and started picking through my bag to see what was in there. he pulled out my circs and said "what the heck are these." i explained and mentioned that they could go on airplanes and he said "YO COULD LEAVE A LIGATURE WITH THAT!" methinks someone's been watching too much CSI! ;)

rebecca
05-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Suzie.... :D ....to you I give you ~~~~~vibes of knitting needle freedom~~~~~~more of the vibes~~~~~~and they continue on~~~~ we will hope & pray that if there is someone at the airline that notices & has a remark~~~~~(vibes cont.) that their superior be standing by~~~~~~their....knitting superior ~~~~~~~and that all be understood!! Here's hoping u have a great trip in any case & all goes well~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry Stitcher
05-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Suzie -

I hope you had success. I just returned this afternoon from my first knitting flight. I, too, had been nervous about taking my needles on a trip. I bought bamboo circulars just for the occasion. (And, I bought more yarn and another set of circs at a great LYS at my destination...Oh my!) No questions asked, ever. I had my knitting in a bag in my backpack, and on my return flight this morning they rescreened my backpack and searched everything. (Yes, I was nervous for my new circs, as I had no SASE!) My cosmetics bag and planner were scrutinized closely. The screener never opened my knitting bag.

I just loved having 3+ hours of uninterrupted knitting time. Pure luxury! It made both flights a breeze.

Hope you had a great trip!
- Mary

suziehomemaker
05-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Absolutely no problems flying and I brought my metal straight needles. The screeners did recheck my regular carry-on but they let my Jordana Paige go right on by. I was so nervous but it ended up being pretty uneventful.

It was actually very nice to be able to knit while I was waiting at the gate and on the plane. I was delayed a couple hours because of the massive storms that hit the mid-west this week but I had my knitting with me the whole time. I can't tell you how relaxed and peaceful I was on that bumpy trip home! From now on, my knitting is going with me on every trip. :XX:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and happy thoughts. It definitely worked :cheering:

KellyK
05-13-2005, 09:21 AM
AWESOME! I hope its that easy on my flight to Costa Rica next month!

Julie
05-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm flying next month...but with a 4 year old and an almost-2 year old....no knitting on the plane for me. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/cry.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/cry.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/cry.gif

feministmama
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
yeah you! I fly out on Saturday to San Diego. I'm bringing very small wooden DBL for socks and maybe some crochet. Pass me some of that good vibes!!!!!!!!!!

LisaD715
05-14-2005, 01:23 AM
TSA no longer has any restrictions on knitting impliments of any kind. I bought awful plastic in case, but the metal ones were fine. There is a listing on their website of what is allowed, and you can always call and ask. The biggest things right now are no scissors or knives, lighters, etc...

When I fly I HAVE to have something to do, I cannot sit that long and not do something, knitting is a perfect option for me!!

kemp
05-14-2005, 08:41 AM
When I looked at the TSA web a couple weeks ago, it said that knitting needles are allowed, but that they do have the discression to take them if they want to. The nice thing about non metal is that they don't even show up on their screen thus giving no reason to go through your bag.

suziehomemaker
05-16-2005, 10:27 AM
My next test is this Friday. Bamboo DPNs for the wool socks I'm working on. Since I'm flying into a small airport I am a little worried but I have the last trip under my belt for confidence!