PDA

View Full Version : Men knitting in public

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I recently had an experience that I found totally amusing. While I was in the hospital, well my son was in the hospital I was there to sign the paperwork, I figured I'd take my afghan project with me. I kept getting strange looks from just about everybody there. I mean here's the scene: Basically, a hospital waiting room with roughly about 20 or so people, mixed company, and me, just pulling out my knitting stuff. had roughly 20 pairs of eyes all on me. Got a few smirks and jeers from some of the men in the room, and quite a few eyebrows raised from the women, some of which who were also knitting themselves. Personally, I found the situation funny, even though I rarely like being the center of attention. I did have a few questions asked about what I was working on, but some of the questions were more jeers than anything. So my question here is what, fundamentally, is wrong with a man knitting in public? I know that it's generally not socially acceptable that a man knits in public, but I'm the type of guy that, generally, ignores what the rest of the public thinks, though, I am curious about this particular subject. Could anybody enlighten me?

KellyK
05-10-2005, 01:08 AM
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Did ya see the post about Worldwide Knit in Public Day??

Im sure the jeers came because you were CHALLENGING a few stereotypes...CHALLENGE AWAY!!!

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I saw that post, Kelly. And I'm fully planning on doing it, my friend Suzanne was planning on getting a bunch of friends and knitting at our local Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

amy
05-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Welcome to the forum Rorshach!

Oh man, that would really bother me. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to knit in public if I was faced with that attitude constantly! It's great to hear that the looks and jeers roll off you back.

It's men like you that will change the way people see knitting (it's about time!). I think it's simply a matter of people seeing it and getting used to seeing something they're not used to seeing. Once people see it more (which they are, slowly, there are more men knitting now, definitely), I think the strong female associations with knitting will loose their hold on people's consciousness, and the judgements will dissipate on their own.

When I put up my CafePress store, with t-shirts and buttons, etc., I'm planning a few for you guy knitters. Loof says his favorite of my t-shirt ideas is "Guy Knitter. Don't have a heart attack." (Pretty much says it all, don'tcha think? :rollseyes:) LOL.

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 02:08 AM
:roflhard: *dying laughing over here* So true, Amy, so true. I will be looking for that shirt myself, and buy a couple myself. Thanks for the warm welcome too. :D

Kilgore_Trout
05-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Way to go! No shame! I'm also a man who knits in public! I'm in Germany where people seem to like to stare at just about anything, but the comments seem to be limited to "Oh my gosh, is that guy knitting??!" I recently spoke with my mother on the subject and she said that when her parents were young, all the boys took knitting and sewing at camp, and some of them were quite good! Perhaps there was a time when it wasn't so strange, lets bring it back! My guy friends in SF have a knitting circle, which is how I got on the wagon.
Check out www.menwhoknit.com to see what the mens are doing these days!

When is knitting in public day?

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, I figure it this way, it doesn't really matter what gender you are to be an artisan. The fact is, is that we are artisans. I don't mind people staring, I find it amusing, considering that I have a pretty good idea of what the heck is going through their minds at that particular point in time, peoples emotions tend to be easy to read when their faced with something that doesn't make sense.

HeatherFeather
05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
So my question here is what, fundamentally, is wrong with a man knitting in public? I

nothing...they are idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

franna724
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I have never seen a man knit in public, but if I did, I would think it was cool!

People get uncomfortable when gender stereotypes are challenged, but they are closed-minded. I wouldn't give them a second thought.

Anna

Norman
05-10-2005, 08:10 AM
GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I've not had the opp to KIP.. but comming this wednesday we have our knitting group at Barnes and noble.. :) So... we'll see how that goes.. I know I'll get a couple of glances and giggles.. but screw it.. right :)

KellyK
05-10-2005, 08:21 AM
When is knitting in public day?

Check the BIG STICKY POST (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1426) at the top of the General forum... :lol:

btw....that men who knit site is AWESOME!

Louine
05-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Sterotypes.....I've always wondered who makes these decisions about what is appropriate for who......

just like who makes the decision about what is a large or extra large egg---not the chicken, I'm sure....... (my daughter and I laugh about that one often....it has gotten to be a private joke with us any time we don't understand the hidden "rules" that some people seem to have about life)

I think that it is wonderful to see people doing something while waiting for appointments etc. I HATE to waste time. I love to see anyone using their waiting time as productive time.

Silver
05-10-2005, 09:27 AM
What's funny is that some guys do some really stupid/gross things in public and no one thinks twice. Wearing big baggy pants that are about to fall off... cursing in front of children.. not stifling bodily functions.. LOL

But when a man is doing something creative and beautiful, it's somehow wrong? WTH is wrong with society? :??

Good for you Rorshach, and *everyone* else who knits in public! :thumbsup:

Norman
05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Well I think most sterotypes were created back way back.. in the 20's and such..

When Women were expected to be in the home and men expected to work till death..

And such.. certain things get sterotyped.. I assume.. Home functions: chores, Sewing, Laundry, Knitting were womens jobs

Working: construction, and such were men jobs

Now, around the time of the Womens Lib.. this all started to change.. and more recently you see those barriers breaking down..

Personally I LOVE to sew.. I've gotten some snickers when I say that.. I like counted cross stich and knitting.. :) They are fun.. and you are CREATING something..

But you know.. :thumbsup:
That's just my opnion.. ya know

Note: Even viewing this website at work gets a few snickers as people walks by.. :rollseyes: but some people judge first before they learn..

Silver
05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head, Norman.

My best friend (who's a straight guy.. that has it's own surprised responses from people) loves to cross-stitch and latch hook. He's been doing it for years and always has a project going. I've never given it a second thought, so I guess that has a lot to do with why male knitters are no big thing to me. Another crafter, ANY crafter, is a friend of mine. :)

Stereotypes irk me to no end. Any stereotypes. Have you ever just sat and watched people go by? So many people and all of them are different. Vastly different. How can there be any stereotypes at all?

knitfun
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Go man Go!

I say the more the merrier! I taught my 6 year old son to knit and he is very proud of that, so someday we may see him knitting while having a coffee and Barnes and Noble! (with his mom)

I have an uncle who has a brother who has knit since he was a kid and makes some really beautiful garments. He also spins yarn too! As does his wife!

Knitting is not gender specific! The sooner people figure that out the better we'll all be!

Keep up the good work, and remember to post pics when you finish something so we can all enjoy it with you!

Norman
05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I know we are hijacking this thread.. :) But.. I totally agree Silver..

There are SOOO many closed minded people anymore.. I don't understand how or why people are like that.. no one is open minded anymore..

It so sad sometimes..

I'm thinking the sterotypes were what was keeping me from joining our local knitting group.. I basically went out to the group but never entered the circle .. until last week.. i was so nervous and such.. but I'm glad I did.. the ladys are all reallllly nice..

Sara
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I think we can blame the industrial revolution for taking the knitting needles out of men's hands. It took people out of rural areas. It changed gender roles, where women were no longer an equal half of the farming family. Their purview was the household, even though they often took in piecework to help make ends meet. Imagine how, suddenly, you could go and buy a pair of socks instead of having to work for days knitting your own.

The IR also gave rise to the middle class. Merchants, managers, mill owners were all eager to ape the manners of the idle upper class. Societal pressure sent their women into the parlor and fomented the idea of "women's work".

So, if you please, gentlemen, keep knitting in public. People are sheep (pun intended) and the more they see men knitting, the more accepting they become of the idea. And you help to strike a blow for equal rights!

cheesiesmom
05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Back in the 60's Roosevelt Grier, an intimidating football player who (unsuccessfully) was bodyguard to Bobby Kennedy, did needlepoint in public. It was a way to calm his nerves on airplanes. He was on all the talk shows and did beautiful work. I think he actually sold some patterns. Men needlepointing sort of became the rage for a while. Also, a punter for the Detroit Lions Garo Yapremian(sp?) in the 70's designed and made men's ties which were gorgeous and sold like hotcakes! Lots of professional men sported his creations.

Just recently there was a reality show on Bravo which pitted young unknown designers against one another for the chance to start their own label/house. The winner was a man, who, BTW, used clothing he designed and knitted himself. Again, gorgeous and innovative work. I was green!

Year ago, my husband, out of curiosity, asked me to teach him to knit. He never continued, which was OK with me because frankly, his work was much better than what I did.

It's too bad we can't just let people 'do their own thing' as we used to say, without being judgmental. Our culture would be so much poorer without the beautiful art created. There seems to be a movement afoot in the land to confine everyone to the same little boxes and God forbid if you want to to veer off what is considered the norm.

So, Gentlemen, KIP and let the snicker-ers snicker. Maybe they all just jealous at your creativity and talent.

Joel
05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
So my question here is what, fundamentally, is wrong with a man knitting in public? I know that it's generally not socially acceptable that a man knits in public, but I'm the type of guy that, generally, ignores what the rest of the public thinks, though, I am curious about this particular subject. Could anybody enlighten me?

Boy does this bring a few things to mind for me...

One... I'm way too cynical. I have (very easily) come up with way too many rude things to say back... I wouldn't say them but they would rapid fire through my head. :shock:

Two... In answer to your question, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a man or woman knitting in public. What's wrong is the attitudes that have developed. These same attitudes take guns to school, file lawsuits against businesses because the hot coffee was actually hot and fresh, and get fans tossed in jail (and players suspended) because they think the price of a ticket authorizes them to throw stuff and fight.

Three... Honestly, I'm more surprised single men don't do it. They'd probably have more women stopping by to talk with them. (As for us married men... personally I'm all up for getting more new friends.)
:D

Four... thanks for the link to the KIP Day... I didn't know there was such a thing. But quite frankly, I have no fear of taking my knitting into public. As a newbie, I havent had much chance to do this yet, but as a sociology major in college, I've completed assignments where I was required to challenge societial norms, just to study the reactions.

Last, I'd like to apologize to those of you on this site. If I seem a little angry... its because I am. Stereotypes bother me, but close-minded a**holes piss me off. (Rant Over)

cheesiesmom
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
If there is one thing I've noticed about this site, a lot of posters use it for not only info, but to post the occasional rant, look for personal help and support. I think we all need to get it off our chests occasionally.

Men have got to stop bottling up and let loose once in a while and this is a productive way of doing it. Far better than a 44 Magnum. :D

Yea KH forum!

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Men have got to stop bottling up and let loose once in a while and this is a productive way of doing it. Far better than a 44 Magnum.

No kidding, cheaper too, cheesiesmom. I'm getting a pretty good idea here that stereotypes are lacking here, which is a good thing. Now if only we could get the rest of society to realize that. Though before I started knitting I actually had seen a couple of men in public knitting. Rather than laugh, had asked what had got them started. Unfortunately, they had been doing it for so long (Roughly 10 years) that neither one of them could remember the reason, but they gave me some good resources to take a look into in case I was interested.

Don't think I need to mention that I was interested, do i? No, didn't think so. :D

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
In my opinion and experience only insecure men take issue (and feel the need to mock) men secure enough in their manhood to do something like knit (or needlepoint, or express emotions, or wear pastels or - well the list could go on and on)

KellyK
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
as a sociology major in college, I've completed assignments where I was required to challenge societial norms, just to study the reactions.

Do you mean like entering an elevator and standing facing the BACK to see if everyone else does, too? :rofling:

Joel
05-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Sort of like that yes... One person in one my classes... went to McDonalds'... laid out a very nice tablecloth on the table, set up fine china, etc... and ate the meal with fork and knife.

;)

Joel
05-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Interesting little side note since my last post on this subject...

Today, in the process of finishing my first project;

- - I knitted while riding in the car. :arrow:

- - I also Knitted In Public ,at the park. :shock:

brendajos
05-13-2005, 10:33 PM
psssssst....i knit while DRIVING my car...though technically i am sitting in traffic and the car isn't moving though that could make for an exciting adventure...lol ;)

beldaraan
05-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I would stare and ask questions :shock: ... but only because I would probably be completely enthralled with what you were making. Oh, it also wouldn't matter if you were male or female. I would still stare and I would still ask questions. :D

/Rant on

I have kip two times so far and no one has ever approached me about it. I want a kip story too!!

/Rant off

LisaD715
05-14-2005, 01:04 AM
My turn to rant....I wonder how insecure anyone has to be in their own life to stare and sneer at anyone doing anything creative (legal) in public. I am so not about stereotypes and "society says" drama.

Guys, I for one would ask you want you are making and carry on a converstaion with you about it. Hopefully several people would wind up realizing they could have been doing that and feel bad about how they decided to treat you that day. (Just a side note...I have a knack for making people realize things they didn't see before.)

Keep doing what you are doing...live for you and what makes you happy! Don't worry what some narrow minded, stuffed shirt says, thinks or feels. Life is too short to worry about what others think.

cheesiesmom
05-14-2005, 11:25 AM
In checking my e-mail, a news letter I get periodically had a very interesting story about this topic. Check it out. Like learning a musical instrument, knitting has numerous learning advantages for children, too.

http://promotions.drgnetwork.com/newsletters/creativeknitting/index.html

Rorshach
05-15-2005, 01:34 AM
was in my LYS today and found out an interesting tidbit of history, that it used to a craft done exclusively by men. Interesting that over the years with "gender equalization" that it was taken over by women. Now most men are pretty insecure as it is, but to damn somebody for taking up a hobby is pretty stupid. It's like I were to damn any one of you for taking up a man's hobby like watching football and drinking beer. Besides I know plenty of women who do just that, my wife for one.

on a side note, speaking of sociology, do this next time you're walking around in your nearest city, it's also helpful if you have friends play along, but can work just as easy alone. stop in the middle of the sidewalk and look up, if somebody asks what you're looking point at the sky, I did this last week and there were probably 12 people all pointing at the sky trying to figure out what I was looking at. I quietly slipped off chuckling to myself. :roflhard:

LisaD715
05-15-2005, 01:45 AM
on a side note, speaking of sociology, do this next time you're walking around in your nearest city, it's also helpful if you have friends play along, but can work just as easy alone. stop in the middle of the sidewalk and look up, if somebody asks what you're looking point at the sky, I did this last week and there were probably 12 people all pointing at the sky trying to figure out what I was looking at. I quietly slipped off chuckling to myself. :roflhard:

Wow, I love that, you are so mean!!!!! I can't wait to do that.... :roflhard:

Rorshach
05-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Some people like to think so, but I just like practical jokes, I don't know how many of you work in a corporate setting with cubicles or what not, but if you are up to a nice practical joke, tape the mice to the desks, (but not on the ball, takes forever to clean up) or if they are using optical mice, put a post-it note over the laser on the bottom. (my wife and co-workers think I have Waaaay too much time on my hands) but it IS funny. :roflhard:

LisaD715
05-15-2005, 02:03 AM
I meant mean in a good way........I am sure I would constantly be laughing at the things you do........practical jokes are way too much fun!! I think I may know someone who can pass along ideas every now and again now too..... :D

Rorshach
05-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Well here's another one you can do, and it can be pretty funny. Next time somebody sneezes in your car, don't say anything, just turn on the windshield wipers on for a couple of swipes. (My personal thanks to Penn and Teller for this idea).

LisaD715
05-15-2005, 02:28 AM
My teenage boys will laugh so hard...they already think I am off my rocker..... :roflhard:

Sara
05-15-2005, 08:20 PM
My daughter found one of the "Happy Bunny" t-shirts that says "I'm not mean, you're just a sissy." She said, "That is so you, Mom! You need that shirt!" Out of the mouths of babes....

Joel
05-16-2005, 12:22 PM
do this next time you're walking around in your nearest city, it's also helpful if you have friends play along, but can work just as easy alone. stop in the middle of the sidewalk and look up, if somebody asks what you're looking point at the sky, I did this last week and there were probably 12 people all pointing at the sky trying to figure out what I was looking at. I quietly slipped off chuckling to myself. :roflhard:

if you are up to a nice practical joke, tape the mice to the desks, (but not on the ball, takes forever to clean up) or if they are using optical mice, put a post-it note over the laser on the bottom. (my wife and co-workers think I have Waaaay too much time on my hands) but it IS funny. :roflhard:

Next time somebody sneezes in your car, don't say anything, just turn on the windshield wipers on for a couple of swipes. (My personal thanks to Penn and Teller for this idea).

:roflhard: Rorshach, you remind me of what I was like when I was younger. I was always the instigator for jokes like that. I.E. Intentionally dropping food on our glass dining room table and watching the dog (who wasn't supposed to be begging anyway) bump her nose on the table trying to catch the food. It kept my younger sister occupied for the next 20 minutes until my parents stopped her from teasing the poor dog.

My daughter found one of the "Happy Bunny" t-shirts that says "I'm not mean, you're just a sissy." She said, "That is so you, Mom! You need that shirt!" Out of the mouths of babes....

:D Sara, i so agree with you... kids say the funniest stuff.... My 4 year old was at preschool one day and they made a project.... she colored in a snowman on this paper and the caption under it said, "My snowman likes to _________ at night." She told the teacher "Play Golf just like daddy does.".

So of course, her teacher asked my wife if i played golf at night. I never have. Heck... its been more than two years since I played at all. So no clue where she got the idea but it was hilarious and we have the snowman still hanging on our fridge.

Norman
05-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Okay.. so this isn't about knitting in public but more I think of a little bit of discrimination..

I went into my LYS today.. the only one in town that sells the Denise Circular/Interchangable needle set. I was all ready to buy that, a couple of books and some Bamboo DPN's.. I Was gonna drop alot of money in that store..

When I got there.. there was another lady there.. so I quietly and patienly browsed around the store waiting my turn.. then the woman looks up to me and says.. and I kid you not.. in the most accusing tone: Do you need something?

Granted I'm young (27) and male.. in a knitting and bead shop (YEs I like beaded braclets too). I shrugged off the acusing tone to just being busy.. Continued to browse.. then the lady she was helping said: "Go ahead and help him, I'll be a while"

So she walks over to me and says : "What do you want."

I was taken aback a bit by this.. but continued my question..

I asked if she had the Set, and I explained to her that I Went to the Denise site and it said the only place in town was to get them from thier shop.

She took me back to the counter and said. "Nope we don't have any.. try ebay"

I was like.. thinking to myself.. I want to buy from YOUR store and you are telling me to go to ebay.. I asked oh so politely.. "Should I call back in a few days to see if you have some more in" and she looked straight me and said "If you want".

I mean come on.. is it just me.. or ...

Sorry that just ticked me off so bad.. I don't know if I will go back there or not.

brookenic
05-17-2005, 01:00 AM
That was so RUDE of her. I can't believe it. :shock: I would never go back there.

brendajos
05-17-2005, 07:08 AM
OMG Dave. Have you shopped there before? that is just ridiculous. though i must say, it does remind me of every time i have ever considered buying anything of any significance from Best Buy. I can never get the assistance of the store personel around there if there are men in there shopping...very annoying....i don't shop there anymore.

that stinks if that is the only place that has the good stuff in town. You aren't far from the Amanas...would you be able to find anything around there?

KellyK
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
:shock: WOW. :shock:

Not only would I not shop there ever again, but I would also write a Hildie-esque letter to the store owner letting her (him?) know how uncomfortable you were made to feel.

Norman
05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Well I have been in the shop a couple of times.. but not as much as I have been to other stores.. I Dunno.. it just.. made me feel.. kinda.. ya know... not wanted.. ;)

I was thinking of writting a letter.. but decided it wouldn't do much..

And you know I've seen that happen at best buy before.. but now they have employeed (Around here) alot more women and they attach themselves to the female shoppers are around here.. they've gotten much better..

Oh well.. I'll just buy the needles from somewhere's else.. :)

KellyK
05-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Dave, have you considered buying them online? I got mine from Coppermoose.com...they were 42.95 with free shipping!

And, REALLY...you should write a letter!

Norman
05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Well no.. Becuase when I went to thier website.. they didn't really give any other place to buy them.. and I'm not sure how to find stores that sell knitting stuff yet.. I'll check that out now !!

:cheering: Thanks Kelly!

brendajos
05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
pssssssssst...Dave...I was hinting around about the Amanas cuz i wanted you to clue me in on amazing yarn shops there that i could stalk when i am in the neighborhood...sheeeeesh ;)

Norman
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah I know.. it's been years since I've been to the yarn shops.. however I do believe that I'm going to go down there this weekend.. I mean.. Authetic Wool.. :) Neato.. I'll see what they go there. I can always pick stuff up for people and ship it to ya :) *heh*

Nuno930
05-17-2005, 09:29 AM
You know... this is not the first story I've heard of LYS treating customers (not just men, women too!) like crap?!?! And I've read a few horror stories of OWNERS treating people like this.

Oooh Amanas. I've never been... but want to SO bad! I have had their wine a few times ;)

Norman
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Well the store looks like a little Home shop.. why would someone who thrives on cutsomers want to alienate them..

I know with my webhosting company I will do just about anything to get a customer and keep them.. *Shrugs* I guess I don't understand some people buisness plans.. :) Yeah.. This week starts The Man of LaMancha so I should be able to get to the Amanas to look around.. there are a couple of geocaches down there I want to do to.. :)

Nuno930
05-17-2005, 09:49 AM
I swear we are never going to get out to find any caches this year! :doh: It finally looks like it is going to be a nice weekend and my husband has guard! So sits his new fancy shmancy Garmin I got him...

Mer
05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Oh, Dave...sorry to hear about the bad store experience! I have never had a problem with any LYS employees, but I was in a store over the weekend and there was an older woman in front of me in line looking at the Denises. She mentioned something about them to the woman at the counter, and I said "Oh, I love my set. They're great." or something like that. She turned around and looked me up and down, didn't say anything, and turned back around and continued to talk to the LYS lady!!!! :mad: I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but I am a little annoyed that just because I'm younger my opinion doesn't matter!

But all of the employees at the 2 real yarn stores I've been to here have been super nice and helpful.

Norman
05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
I swear we are never going to get out to find any caches this year! :doh: It finally looks like it is going to be a nice weekend and my husband has guard! So sits his new fancy shmancy Garmin I got him...

I've found 2 subscriber only caches .. :) I'm thinking about finding something small and easy to knit to put in as the trade stuff.. :) I want a signature item so bad :)

Joel
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
I was thinking of writting a letter.. but decided it wouldn't do much..

Dave,

You are making an assumption that may or may not be correct. If someone had said to you 2 weeks ago that custom controls in C# were easy... you may not have believed them.... and now...

Go write the letter!

Joel

Norman
05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
*heheh* Thanks for the geek speak there.. :) Most the others probably won't understand that.. it was a private IM with Joel and I.

I'm actually going to talk to one of the girls in the knitting group on Saturday as one teaches at this LYS.. I'll kinda tell her of my problems..

:) Thanks for the push tho

KellyK
05-17-2005, 11:46 AM
It finally looks like it is going to be a nice weekend and my husband has guard! So sits his new fancy shmancy Garmin I got him...
If someone had said to you 2 weeks ago that custom controls in C# were easy... you may not have believed them....

OK - STOP SPEAKING GREEK, PLEASE! :?

WHAT is a GARMIN, and WHAT is C#!

I dont LIKE feeling excluded! :verysad:

:rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

Nuno930
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I have NO idea what Joel is speaking of.. but a Garmin is a GPS unit.

brendajos
05-17-2005, 11:54 AM

uuuh...i think that is GEEK not GREEK! :hiding:

Joel
05-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Joel Wrote:
If someone had said to you 2 weeks ago that custom controls in C# were easy... you may not have believed them....

... WHAT is C#!

C# is a current Microsoft programming language.

Controls are objects on the screen such as button you press, a link, even pictures, logos, or boxes where text can be displayed. There are tons of already pre-built controls that programmers can use when creating new software, databases, web pages, etc.

A few days ago, Dave IM'd me to let me know he had just created a custom control (using C#) for the first time and he stated it was easier than he had thought it would be.

My point to Dave, (which he understood) was don't make an assumption that may not be true.

So, does the teacher get an apple? ;) j/k

brendajos
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
yeah THAT'S less geeky!... :rollseyes:

hehe

Joel
05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
yeah THAT'S less geeky!... :rollseyes:

hehe

:roflhard:

Nuno930
05-17-2005, 12:35 PM
C# is a current Microsoft programming language.

Really... that is all the farther you needed to go :rofling:

KellyK
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
yeah...all I read was "blah blah blah....Microsoft Programming language....blah blah blah blah....apple.......Joel"
:rofling:

brendajos
05-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Norman
05-17-2005, 01:34 PM
You all are funny..

Anyway.. this thread has kinda taken on a life of it's own eh.. :lol:

Joel
05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Im not sure if i should be....

:hiding: or

:wall: or

:notworthy: and apologizing for overkill...

:thinking:

And yeah it has taken a life of its own. :-)

Rorshach
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I would worry about it, Joel. seems to happen a lot.

Norman
05-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Thought I would continue the thread.. did a little KIP last night while backstage at the theater.. we have a long area where we are't doing anything..a nd since I've seen the play 13 times now (still have 9 more), I thought I would do a little on my hat. :)

Anyway.. there we go..

suziehomemaker
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Norman - Way to use your time efficiently. I went to a graduation on Saturday and brought my knitting with me. What a great thing too because the key speaker went on for over 45 minutes! It sounded like he was running for office - it was just so bad and inappropriate.

Anyway, a friend of mine just asked me to teach him how to knit. I thought he was joking but his partner travels extensively and he wants to make some of the new trendy stuff. I'm converting one person at a time to our addicting hobby . . .

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I love being a Knitting Ambassador! :cheering:

suziehomemaker
05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
oooo great title! I like that alot!

VictoiseC
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Rorschach, I thought of your post when I read this today....
you might like it.

http://www.theshed.co.uk/northernecho.html

Check out that Elvis hat! I think I need one of those.

:happydance:

Joel
07-11-2005, 12:17 AM
I wish i could take credit for finding this..... but i cant.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/index.html

Thanks Denise!

:XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY: :XY:
[/url]

JGM
07-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I just read this thread all the way through and I just wanted to say that I feel better about being a male knitter. With apologies to all, I used to have the idea that knitting was pretty much just for grandmas. Or at least that's what I thought other people thought. After finding this board, that idea is totally abolished from my mind.

Anyways, I never really felt secure enough to KIP but after reading some of your testimonials, the next time I have the chance, I will do so with reckless abandon. :) Thanks for opening my eyes.

LisaD715
07-11-2005, 11:03 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I just had a mental image of you sitting in Walmart, kintting your lil fingers off, surrounded by little old grandma's and their knitting....they are swooning..... :roflhard: :roflhard:

All kidding aside....HAVE FUN!!!! I get more questions and compliments on things I am doing...everyone wants to know what you are working on. Then everyone wants to learn how to do it.

brendajos
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
are ya kiddin'...if i saw a guy knitting in public i would pull myself up next to him, pull out my knitting, and start chattin' away!...lol

i was at my teddy bear thing a month ago or so and we were waiting for the auction to start. of course as soon as i sat down i pulled out my knitting....about 10 minutes later a couple of ladies sat down and pulled out there knitting too...i felt so cool...lol

KellyK
07-11-2005, 11:45 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I just had a mental image of you sitting in Walmart, kintting your lil fingers off, surrounded by little old grandma's and their knitting....they are swooning..... :roflhard: :roflhard:

Why does he have to be at Walmart?

You forgot one crucial point, Lis....if he was surrounded by grandmas, they would all be trying to set him up with their granddaughters. A knitting MAN? What a CATCH! :eyebrow:

Rorshach
07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
lol, that's very true, KK. though it's still an odd sight to see, when so many people are used to seeing women do it. I might have mentioned this before, but a guy I work with crochets, and he's as fast at crochet as Amy is at knitting. He usually completes a 8" diameter doily in a day, working on it while he's on the phones.

Joel
07-11-2005, 11:56 PM
LOL

And is he swarmed by the women all wanting to see his "knitting muscles"?

Rorshach
07-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Not really, but he is surrounded by women who also knit while they're on the phone too.... :thinking:

KellyK
07-12-2005, 09:26 AM
And is he swarmed by the women all wanting to see his "knitting muscles"? :roflhard:

*KellyK in a fakey girly voice & batting eyelashes*

:inlove: OOOOH! PLEAAAAAASE let me feel your WRISTS one more time!!! They're so STRONG!!!! :inlove:

JGM
07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Why does he have to be at Walmart?

Yeah, why Walmart? I really don't like that place because of their questionable practices with their employees. :?? But that's OT.

JGM
07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
lol, that's very true, KK. though it's still an odd sight to see, when so many people are used to seeing women do it. I might have mentioned this before, but a guy I work with crochets, and he's as fast at crochet as Amy is at knitting. He usually completes a 8" diameter doily in a day, working on it while he's on the phones.

I know how to crochet too, that's what I learned first. I don't know if I'm that fast though.

Carol_OH
07-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I think it's great that men knit, and in public too!

I'm re-reading "The Moffat" books by Eleanor Estes and in "Rufus M" Rufus' whole class is knitting washclothes for the troops(WWI)

BTW, I know that in Waldorf schools, all kids learn to knit, too!

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
It doesn't have to be .....I just had a mental image of Walmart........lol. I personally don't care for Walmart...I'm a Target girl!!!

At any rate........I think it is wonderful that men knit!! Joel and I picked it up about the same time, so we are knitting and chat buddies. I would love to see a guy sitting in Barnes and Nobles (one of my favorite places to hang out) knitting, or even perusing the craft section. I would so park myself next to him and ask for pointers....

brendajos
07-12-2005, 04:36 PM
It doesn't have to be .....I just had a mental image of Walmart........lol. I personally don't care for Walmart...I'm a Target girl!!!

At any rate........I think it is wonderful that men knit!! Joel and I picked it up about the same time, so we are knitting and chat buddies. I would love to see a guy sitting in Barnes and Nobles (one of my favorite places to hang out) knitting, or even perusing the craft section. I would so park myself next to him and ask for pointers....

i will soooooooooo be in Barnes and Noble on Friday night knitting away so i don't do what i did last time a HP book came out...lol. I got started reading The Nanny Diaries while i was waiting for midnight and couldn't start reading HP until i finished it!

so imma bringin' my knittin'!

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I preordered that bad boy on BN.com when they first offered it.....my birthday present to me!! LOVE HP....cannot wait for the new movie either!

suziehomemaker
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Does it count if my DH helps me knit in public? He's winded yarn into balls for me and helped me correct mistakes many times in public.

LisaD715
07-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Does it count if my DH helps me knit in public? He's winded yarn into balls for me and helped me correct mistakes many times in public.

Suzie.........that is so sweet!! I would love a man who did that!!

Rorshach
07-14-2005, 01:07 AM
heh, well I keep knittin' in public, and I have to laugh at all the odd looks I get. Though I do see that men DO have an advantage in knitting in private. (knotty alert) heh, they can do a three needle bind-off with only two needles :D

heh, sorry, am in that whimsical mood. :D

KellyK
07-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks for THAT picture in my head, Rorschach! :rollseyes:

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 07:39 AM
heh, well I keep knittin' in public, and I have to laugh at all the odd looks I get. Though I do see that men DO have an advantage in knitting in private. (knotty alert) heh, they can do a three needle bind-off with only two needles :D

heh, sorry, am in that whimsical mood. :D

Do a lot of lace, huh? You asked for it!

Rorshach
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Do a lot of lace, huh? You asked for it!

Yup, though it's a lot of trouble to get the hole big enough without taking viagra first :P

brendajos
07-14-2005, 02:23 PM
:shock: :oops: my innnocent eyes!!

Rorshach
07-15-2005, 12:32 AM
heheh, blame Ingrid, it was just my childish response mechanism going off :D

brendajos
07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
lol...yeah yeah! ;)

amy
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
Okay, who fed Rorshach after midnight? We're all in for it now!

*Knotty Gremlins run rampant*
(when you can't beat 'em, join em (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25165))

Rorshach
07-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Okay, who fed Rorshach after midnight? We're all in for it now!

ah, well that's something you can blame my DW for. Not that'll do you much good. :D

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 10:14 PM
heheh, blame Ingrid, it was just my childish response mechanism going off :D

Ahem, I believe you were the one who mentioned three-needle bind-off :fingerwag: And BTW I mentioned lace for the needle-size. I would have let it drop but you had to blame me! :mrgreen:

Rorshach
07-15-2005, 10:24 PM
:roflhard: you're right, you have me there, but that doesn't mean that I still can't blame you ;)