PDA

View Full Version : Time to De-Lurk!

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Ok, I noticed in the welcome post we had a lot of lurkers! C'mon in, the water is fine! You don't even have to tell us about yourself if you don't want to... just post a smiley!

Norman
05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Well ya know that's a common forum technique..

Alot of people get on forums to just read and research.. I know that on the other forums I admin on .. only about 75% of the people post.. :) The rest lurk and are active lurkers..

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Well ya know that's a common forum technique..

Yeah, I know... but that doesn't mean I can't try and coax them out ;)

Silver
05-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Maybe if you offer chocolate??

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Oooh yeah. I even live in a Dutch community so you know I gots the good stuff :thumbsup:

benniesma
05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
What is the difference between just lurking and being an 'active' lurker?

(not being snarky, just curious!) ;)

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
What is the difference between just lurking and being an 'active' lurker?

(not being snarky, just curious!) ;)

Good question... Ohhh Norman Bates

Norman
05-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Well a Lurker is someone who comes and views.. like every few days.. an active lurker.. if you watch thier forum footprints.. will go through just about every topic on every board..

:)

knitwit
05-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi. My name is Jennifer...
and I am a lurker!
I check the boards every day and read every single post - I dont know why I haven't contributed - the biggest reason is that I don't have much to add - I just read and learn :D
And---I have to say I have learned A LOT :cheering:
If I could figure out how to post my pics - I'd share my FO's with you too. I always get error messages that my files are too big. Who knew?
I do love this site.....
Any other lurkers want to join in?

Norman
05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Pics are easy.. there is a option at the very end when entering a post that says "Attach File" click browse.. find it.. and that's all there is to it.. unless they have a size limit.

You can also include a file hosted else where.. by inclosing the http:// link with [ img ] [/ img ] tags (without the space)

lou
05-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi, my name is Carole and I am a semi lurker..new catagory. Just discovered this forum last week and I am not really familar with forums but enjoy all the information. Just started knitting after a few years off and I have become addicted. :XX:

knitwit
05-10-2005, 08:47 PM
thanks norman- but thats sorta the problem- I've been trying to use the pics from "my pics folder" on my pc- and it always errors out and says my images are too large. I know I need to resize them to upload them but don't know how. Any ideas???

Rorshach
05-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah, knitwit, there are a few programs that can help you resize, most of them are expensive, but one that I know of, called Irfanview, can resize your pics, and best of all, it's freeware. you can get it here. (http://www.irfanview.com/)

Nuno930
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Welcome to all the lurkers! Dang, guess I owe you some candy huh?

Knitwit here is another free one... I've never used it but a few friends have and liked it

http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzc3

Sara
05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Are the tulips blooming, Nik? Got our latest issue of the Iowan magazine yesterday, tried hard not to cry...sniff, sniff <<HONK>>

brookenic
05-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe if you offer chocolate??

I'm not a lurker. But I WANT chocolate!!! :cheering:

brendajos
05-10-2005, 11:49 PM
umm...yeah i will come outta hiding too if i can get some chocolate. i promise not to be so introverted! :hiding:

gardenia
05-11-2005, 12:39 AM
:inlove: Did someone mention chocolate?????

rebecca
05-11-2005, 12:51 AM
like brendajos...i'm :hiding: and those other people that i heard mentioned...gardenia, brook and others that i don't know bc i, too, am a lurker....a bad one....so..if u r a really bad lurker...do u get more chocolate...i need i need
promise :--- really promise :--- to no longer lurk or lie :---
JUST GIVE ME THE CHOCOLATE, :oops: sorry, i am embarrassed bc of my :hiding: ..didn't mean to raise my voice
welcome lurkers...do u have your chocolate yet?

Nuno930
05-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Are the tulips blooming, Nik? Got our latest issue of the Iowan magazine yesterday, tried hard not to cry...sniff, sniff <<HONK>>

Yes they are... or at least some of them are hanging in. I swear they *know* when Tulip Time is and always seem to hold on until then! And the promtly die the week after!

Joel
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
thanks norman- but thats sorta the problem- I've been trying to use the pics from "my pics folder" on my pc- and it always errors out and says my images are too large. I know I need to resize them to upload them but don't know how. Any ideas???

Another option is to use the Microsoft Photo editor... that often comes with the PC. Crop the area you want, copy, open a new file, etc... and you can go into settings and reduce by %s how big or small you want to make the new file. Save and then upload the new file.

:balloons:

Norman
05-11-2005, 12:50 PM

Ah man.. I totally mised this sorry..

You can use that yes..

There is also Picasa (From google) that can do it.. or I'll be a really nice guy and if you send them to me... I can size them in less than a minute of getting 'em and I'll send 'em back :)

D

SimplyKaar
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Oooh yeah. I even live in a Dutch community so you know I gots the good stuff :thumbsup:

I'm Dutch but I haven't been able to figure out what we have to do with chocolate; cheese; CHECK, tulips; most definitely! But chocolate? :??

Nuno930
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
American chocolate horrid (mostly wax) especially compared to European chocolate.

SimplyKaar
05-11-2005, 01:55 PM
American chocolate horrid (mostly wax) especially compared to European chocolate.

Ahh... that explains it :) I had no idea about that, probably also because I'm not much of a chocolate eater myself.

Norman
05-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Swiss choclate is the best!

I've gotten some from people who travel over there.. and that's just .. yummmmmy :inlove:

foothills
05-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Many of the lurkers may feel as I did in the beginning...before I met all of you wonderful folks...I was a little wary of posting ANYTHING about myself in the beginning and hated for anyone to know just how much I didn't know :lol: ...there are some strange folks "out there"...NOT ON THIS SITE, of course :roflhard:

I've certainly learned alot from lurking and there are some great people here who offer sound knitting advice and help get one through those stumps in knitting and temporary pauses due to brain spasms ;)

I'd say...this site should be LURKER'S HEAVEN :thumbsup: I LOVE CHOCOLATE...MY MOTTO...A HERSHEY A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY :inlove:

Joyce

brendajos
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
If I could figure out how to post my pics - I'd share my FO's with you too. I always get error messages that my files are too big. Who knew??

get an account on photobucket.com. then you can load your pictures on to there and then link them on here. easypeasy. and it doesn't care how big they are when you link them like that...just when you try to download them!

Rorshach
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I was a little wary of posting ANYTHING about myself in the beginning and hated for anyone to know just how much I didn't know

Admission of the problem is usually the first step in recovery -- AA saying

actually fromw what I've found is that it's better to admit that you don't know and get it over with.

KellyK
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
My SWEET DH gets me a 2-lb box of GODIVA every Valentine's Day!! :heart:

Rorshach
05-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I realize this is slightly off topic, and most likely a "stoopid" question, but what the heck does DH stand for? I'm guessing Darling Husband, but other definitions come to mind :D

knitwit
05-11-2005, 07:44 PM
DH can mean either darling or dear husband-
I totally forgot about the offer of chocolate please send chocolate my way ASAP I could use a sugar rush :D

Thanks all for the info on the pictures - I'm going to give it a whirl and see what I come up with ~ and if I have too much trouble/not enough patience/not enough chocolate and the offer still stands I may be emailing them to Norman.

Off to go figure out what I want to start knitting next. I'm traveling tomorrow to see the Outlaws and will be trapped on a plane for 2 hours and should have loads of "free" time at the airport. :cheering:

Rorshach
05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
My SWEET DH gets me a 2-lb box of GODIVA every Valentine's Day!!
Oh sure, set a precedent, now my wife is going to want one. :D except not for Valentine's Day, or rather if she gets one on that day, I'm going to request one for the day b4 that, (IE my birthday)

Knitwit- thanks for defining that for me, I figured it was something to that effect, but sometimes you just gotta know, eh?

KellyK
05-11-2005, 07:56 PM
But...arent 2 boxes of Godiva BETTER than one? I dont see the problem! :??

Rorshach
05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
who said that there was a problem?

amy
05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Congrats on de-lurking knitwit & lou! :cheering:

Rorshach, good call on recommending Irfanview to Knitwit for her photos. :thumbsup: I love that easy program.

Knitwit, to resize a photo in Irfanview, the shortcut is Ctrl. R, then type in "500" and hit enter. That's it! You don't have to even look up, that will set the size to a good maximum width for the forum, 500 pixels. Save it, and you're ready to upload!

Admission of the problem is usually the first step in recovery -- AA saying

Rorshach, I know someone already asked you if you're a psychologist or something, because of your name and avatar. Now I'm thinking they were on to something. ;) lol

Rorshach
05-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Rorshach, I know someone already asked you if you're a psychologist or something, because of your name and avatar. Now I'm thinking they were on to something. ;) lol

Actually, amy, I'm a problem solver, and psychology tends to be a hobby. Guess you could call observation a hobby too. hmm too many hobbies and not enough places to put them. ah well....

amy
05-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Cool hobby!

Well, if the new poll I just put up confirms my fear (that I have an emoticon addiction!:shock:), I'll be knocking on your door for a 50 minute appt. :mrgreen:

PurlyGyrl
05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
As a newbie, I was just going to slowly let folks get to know me through my postings.

THEN! Oh, man! You HAD to mention Godiva chocolate-Food of the Gods!

OK. I'll spill. Godiva works better than a big beefy cop, a bright light and a rubber hose.
My name is Denise. I live in Tennessee--in the hills. Yep, I might be a redneck!
I learned to knit in the 7th grade--MANY MANY years ago.
I finally learned how to bind off correctly in college. :oops:
I quit knitting for about 20 years :verysad:
I started to knit again last summer--just as therapy--my mother had to have surgery 8 times last year (on the same leg--LONG STORY) and I would sit and knit stockinette squares as a way to pass time in hospital waiting rooms. :XX:
Right now I can only knit square things :mrgreen:
Some day I know to knit as well as KellyK :notworthy: (Girl, your blog is hilarious btw!)
Amy, this site and your videos help me so much AND are so motivational. Thank You! Thank You! :heart:

O.K. I have now delurked. :hiding:
Pass me the Godiva.

Happy Knitting!
Purly a/k/a Denise

SimplyKaar
05-12-2005, 11:47 AM
To all of you brave enough to be de-lurked!

http://www.adsources.com/Gourmet/Godiva/IMAGES/Thankyou%20Ballotin-med.jpg

PurlyGyrl
05-12-2005, 01:00 PM
M-M-M-M-M-M-M! :inlove:
Thanks.

Purly
a/k/a Denise

brendajos
05-12-2005, 01:05 PM
To all of you brave enough to be de-lurked!

http://www.adsources.com/Gourmet/Godiva/IMAGES/Thankyou%20Ballotin-med.jpg

i think i feel a little robbed... ;)

SimplyKaar
05-12-2005, 01:21 PM
i think i feel a little robbed... ;)

allright allright, I'll set up a table with boxes at the exit of this thread; after you've checked in, been a bit social, you can take a box with you on your way out; just for all the people who dared to venture into the "de-lurk" topic though!! *firm look*

Enjoy Brendajos! :happydance:

brendajos
05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
lol

KellyK
05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Some day I hope to knit as well as KellyK :notworthy: (Girl, your blog is hilarious btw!)

OMG thanks, but Im NOTHING compared to some of the other GREAT and POWERFUL knitters here! :notworthy: (Amy, Silver, Marnie, many others I haven't mentioned!)

AND, if my blog is SO funny, why have you not posted there??? HMM? I LOVE the attention, you know! :blush:

Glad you are out of hiding, Denise!! :waving:

*KellyK licking her fingers after finishing that Godiva chocolate shaped like a oyster shell & filled with hazelnut praline cream*

PurlyGyrl
05-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Hiya KellyK! I hang my head in shame that I haven't posted to your blog yet. My boss keeps interupting my posting. He's got a lot of nerve expecting me to do work on company time. Doesn't he know that knitting is MORE IMPORTANT ;)

Oh, please forgive me. :pray:

Purly
a/k/a Denise

KellyK
05-12-2005, 02:45 PM
shuh..... Ill have to have a TALK with him! :mad:

Rorshach
05-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, if the new poll I just put up confirms my fear (that I have an emoticon addiction!:shock:), I'll be knocking on your door for a 50 minute appt. :mrgreen:

hmm wonder if people avoid using emoticons, would that be a emoticophobia? Anyway, my "door" is always open. which makes me wonder, can you actually slam a door on a cubicle? that would make for a lot of prairie doggin' I'm thinking. :??

KellyK
05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
:roflhard: "Prairie doggin!" :roflhard:

Rorshach
05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
yup, prairie doggin'. For those that don't know, prairie doggin' is what happens when a loud noise goes off and you see several techs poke their heads up over the cubicle walls to see what the ruckus is about. kinda funny actually. :rofling: