PDA

View Full Version : Double strands and gauge question

Mer
05-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Is there any way to figure out the gauge of a yarn when knit double-stranded without actually trying it out? For example, if I wanted to substitute a sport weight yarn for a worsted weight can I figure out some way of calculating what the doubled gauge would be from the yarn's original (i.e. what the package says) gauge? Or do I have to try it out? I know the needle size and everything will make it tricky to convert.

Does this even sound like a good idea? :?? I want to use some of the knit picks cotton yarn, but it's sport weight and the pattern I wanted to do uses worsted.

KellyK
05-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I dont know if Id chance it...I think swatching is really the way to go, unless you are making something that doesnt have to fit well.

metalsgirl
05-11-2005, 12:36 PM
maybe this will help you
http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/Articles/substituting_and_estimating_yarn.htm

Silver
05-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Generally, doubling the strand moves the weight up one level, so theoretically, doubling DK weight will give you worsted weight. However, once you get the yarn, be sure to knit a swatch to make sure! And don't forget, you'll need to order twice the yardage. :)

Mer
05-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks, guys. I guess trying it out would be the safest way to go. Maybe I'll get some test yarn before buying the entire amount to make sure it works.