PDA

View Full Version : Long tail (thumb) Cast on

Norman
05-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Okay everyone.. I've always been doing the thumb (long tail) cast on.. as it was what I first learned, it's what everone I know does and it's really easy..

but let's say that the pattern says:

CO: 38 stiches
ROW1: Perl Across

Now from whta I understand the CO row is considered a ROW already knit right?

Or am I just over thinking this?

Nuno930
05-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, the first row of that cast on is knit. This will be a great time to learn a NEW cast on :D The single cast on is pretty easy!

KNITBIT
05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Yep. When you use the long tail cast on you are also simultaneously creating your first knit row. So say if you were going to be working stockinette you'd start with a purl row next. Being you already created your 1st knit row.

Hope this helps :D

KNITBIT :XX:

brendajos
05-16-2005, 11:11 AM
yeah i think what the next row is would be important in knowing what you need to do next. if the next row is a knit row then there is no reason why you can't do the long tail cast on, that i can think of cuz you would be doing regular stockinette stitch.

Silver
05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes, that's true, but you can also think of it as only a cast on row, and continue your pattern as normal. I do this quite often, because it's my favorite cast on method. It creates a really nice, neat edge. :)

If you want to try a different method, try knitting on, or the backward loop cast on. :thumbsup:

Norman
05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
So okay.. let's say I get a pattern that has a PURL as the first row..

well the LT cast on makes a knit row first right.. is there a purl version of it.. I'm also looking at Contental and Other methods .. :)

I started english but after watching the ladies in the group knit with cont, I really wanna try that..

And hopefully will be picking up the Denise Interchangable Needle set today..

(The thing pictured here)
http://www.knitdenise.com/index.cfm

Norman
05-16-2005, 11:16 AM
If you want to try a different method, try knitting on

yeah I've done that.. :rollseyes: didn't like it nearly as much as the long cast on.. that was so much easier to do...

Nuno930
05-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes, that's true, but you can also think of it as only a cast on row, and continue your pattern as normal. I do this quite often, because it's my favorite cast on method. It creates a really nice, neat edge. :)
Huh! Good to know!

Silver
05-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I just approach my knitting with a very EZ* attitude.

Don't stress over anything.
Don't be afraid to improvise.
Do what feels/looks best.
Love what you knit.

*EZ = easy AND Elizabeth Zimmermann

Sara
05-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I like the look of the Long Tail cast on, so I just do that and continue my pattern as usual. I haven't had a problem with it.

Norman
05-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay well that makes me feel alot better.. :)

For the last two things I did.. I just disregarded the caston.. but then I got to thinking.. that's actually a row..