PDA

View Full Version : Make your own avatar

Silver
05-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I found this cool little program where you can make your own avatar. It's all in german though, but pretty easy to figure out. After you finish it, take a screen shot and paste it into a paint program, then reduce the size to 80x80. :)

Click here (http://www.vivaplus.tv/index.php?action=kongtent_show_page&page=823), then click on "Create your own VIDU"

Updated 8/29/07:
This thread is over 2 years old. The link doesn't work anymore! :)

amy
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
No way, this is so cool! :happydance:

Helpful instructions:
"Farbe" lets you change colors for whatever feature you have highlighted, like hair, skin, eyes, shirt, etc.
Start at the top left option ("vidu typen"), and DON'T change that option again, or it will erase what you've done! I recommend choosing that type based on face shape and gender. The skin tone, hair, and everything else can be changed dramatically from there.

Silver, you should move this to the general forum for everyone, folks will get a kick out of it! :thumbsup:

Silver
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Moved! :thumbsup:

KellyK
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
How do you take a screen snapshot?

ekgheiy
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
How do you take a screen snapshot?

Punch your Print Screen key. It's above the Insert key to the right of your Backspace key. ;) Then when you open Paint, press Ctr+V to paste. You can edit from there :??

Rorshach
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
well usually by hitting the print screen key on your keyboard, then paste it into something such as Paint, or if you have a picture editing program, such as photoshop, you could do that too.

KellyK
05-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks, friends! I had made the cutest AV then realized I didnt know how to save it! :doh:

KellyK
05-17-2005, 11:01 PM
ITS NOT WORKING!!!! *KellyK throws fit*

VickiIL
05-17-2005, 11:07 PM
It didn't work for me either Kelly....And I have to start over now...Some how I lost it all. :wall:

Mer
05-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Cool! I've seen this one too:

http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml

But the one silver found makes me look much cuter. ;)

amy
05-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Here's mine!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/personal/red-shirt.gif

Yes, that's more me. Better than my first attempt (below), which had the wrong face shape, much as I loved her:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/images/personal/strblnd-avatar.gif

Kelly, make sure your not pressing the "print" button, but the "PrtScn" button, and if it's not working, press "F lock" then press "PrtScn" again. That will copy the whole screen and you can paste it into an imaging program and crop it; you may just think it's not working because it looks exactly like your screen did.

By the way folks, the thing you want to avoid doing that will erase what you've done in this cool avatar program, is clicking the top left option "vidu typen", which will start you over with another base type. That's where you should start, and then choose your hair style and color, etc., from there. I recommend choosing the type based on the shape of the face, and gender. You can change skin color and hair color and hair style, eye and mouth shape and color, outfit, etc. But the face shape will stay the same.

brendajos
05-18-2005, 12:44 AM
hmmm...i couldn't get my face to lighten that much....need to play with it some more...sleep is overrated anyway! ;)

KellyK
05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Kelly, make sure your not pressing the "print" button, but the "PrtScn" button, and if it's not working, press "F lock" then press "PrtScn" again. That will copy the whole screen and you can paste it into an imaging program and crop it; you may just think it's not working because it looks exactly like your screen did.

:roflhard: <---- throwing another fit
I DONT HAVE AN F-LOCK!!!

Its just not pasting ANYTHING into Paint....I AM pressing "Print Screen" the button says "Print Screen Sys Rq" What's "Sys Rq"?? :?? I also tried ctrl+X & ctrl+v. NADA.

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 07:53 AM
OK...I am actually moving forward. I got it into paint, cropped it and saved it.

Next I have NO idea how to use paint. How do I edit it to remove the background? And what do you mean to reduce it to 80X80?

brendajos
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
i would guess it is saying system required which is weird...what computer doesn't already have that...odd.

did you try highlighting the whole screen and try to copy and paste it that way?

Norman
05-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Hello all..

Just wanted to chime in.. if you wanted to read it in a really bad translated version goto:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

In the "Translate WebPage" paste the link above
and Pick German -> English

It's changes text, not images.. and it does it's best but doesn't help any.. just a thought.. no big deal as it seems pretty easy to navigate.. however I can't get into it.. it just times out for me :)

Dave

Silver
05-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Translation/instructions for the avatar creator (http://www.geekgrrl.com/archives/2004/05/003887.php)

How to take a screenshot (http://casweb.ou.edu/olr/technology/it/screenshot.htm)

Modifying an image in MS Paint (http://www.mtnbrook.k12.al.us/MBHS/digimg/paint_di.pdf) (This is a .pdf file.)

PurlyGyrl
05-18-2005, 12:17 PM
BIG THUMBS UP :thumbsup: to Silver for the link. YOU ROCK! I actually made my first avatar using the link. FABULOUS! Now I have a cute little picture of "me." The last time I had any good photos of me taken was in High School (20+ years ago :oops: ) and I AM NOT using that one! :shock:

Happy Knitting!
Purly
a/k/a Denise

1to1
05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Okay, I have my avatar made but it is too big. What now?

Norman
05-18-2005, 01:18 PM
Take it into a image editing program, such as Gimp, Photoshop, Paintshop and size it to 80 wide, this should make it good enough

1to1
05-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the tip Norman. :thumbsup:

Silver, thanks for helping me find a way to waste my morning :oops: No, it was fun playing around with that.

Time to get some work done! :rollseyes:

Norman
05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
No worries.. :)
I love helping people out

Holly
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
:roflhard: I used the second avatar maker listed where you pick each piece, but don't see a finished picture to the end. This is what I came up with:

:lol: The funny part is that none of my co-workers protested that of course that doesn't look like me ;) !! hehe

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
OK...It says it can only be 6 KB to be used as an avatar. How do I reduce this? ( I am using Paint Shop Pro)

brendajos
05-18-2005, 02:54 PM
i gave up ever trying to make that happen...i could never get anything resized enough. i opened a free account at photobucket.com and linked it from there. it allows pretty much any size it seems as long as you link it.

Norman
05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
yes the BB Software imposes a limit (6 k or 80kb) due to server limitations.. but if you link, more times than not, they allow larger sizes as they don't have to host the picture :)

She has a good idea.. photobucket is a good place to open an account.. course any free hosting service would work that allows hotlinking :)

amy
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Purlygyrl, I love your avatar, and the two-toned background. :thumbsup:

1to1, love yours too!

Silver, you've definitely started a trend here!

Silver
05-18-2005, 03:18 PM
These are great! I'm glad I posted the link too. So much fun seeing you all make avatars! :)

BTW, if anyone needs an avatar reduced, just post it here as an image and myself or someone else will surely reduce it for you! :thumbsup:

Mer
05-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Love yours, Holly! :lol: How did you get the body in there?

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 03:26 PM
BTW, if anyone needs an avatar reduced, just post it here as an image and myself or someone else will surely reduce it for you! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Silver. I just can not figure this out. Now let's see if this computer idiot can attach the image.

Norman
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
here ya go

KellyK
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Turns out my Print Screen key at home is BROKEN! It worked just fine here at work...whaddaya think of my likeness??

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks Norman! It seems like it is working now!

Kelly, Your's looks great!

Silver
05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
That's GREAT Kelly!!!
Did you want it reduced?

amy
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Kelly, that's awesome!!

But don't change your avatar Kelly! You're GORGEOUS in person. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your real pic. :pray:

KellyK
05-18-2005, 03:46 PM
AWWWW..THANKS, AIMOLA! :inlove:

I think I just wanna change it for a little while....

*whines* Can youuuu doooo it for meeee, Silllllverrrrrr?

Rorshach
05-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Got bored, so I resized it and changed it to a .gif for you.

Silver
05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, he beat me to it. ;)

Norman
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
:roflhard:
Sorry I missed this one.. was busy chatting away in the chat with foldedbird.. tlaking about mixers :)

KellyK
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :cheering:

LisaD715
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Help....can someone resize mine, PLEASE????? I cannot get it to work. Thank you!! What do you think?

Silver
05-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Here ya go Lisa :)

LisaD715
05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you Silver!!!! :heart: What a fun program...have made some for my boys too!!

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Does mine seem grainy to you? Why did that happen? What can I do to clean it up?

Rorshach
05-18-2005, 05:56 PM
What about this one, is it grainy at all?

gimmesanity
05-18-2005, 05:59 PM
OOoh, I wanna play!! Can someone make mine smaller, too, PPPLLLLEEEAAAAaasssseeeee??? :D

~Sharon

gimmesanity
05-18-2005, 06:00 PM
ACK!! What happened?? Geez, that's huger than it was supposed to be.....sorry about that.

VickiIL
05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
You computer people amaze me! I am lucky I can send an email! Thanks Rorshach! :cheering:

gimmesanity
05-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Hrmm, I'm confused now. :??
So, I have my too cute little pic on Paint, cropped and everything from the screen image. Now, how do I make it so that when I attach it to a msg I attach only the pic and not the rest of the white space that's around it? Am I making sense?? How do I save just the avatar and not the space around the pic on Paint?

Rorshach
05-18-2005, 06:14 PM
You're welcome. all I did was a simple resize from the original using a program called IRfanview. it's a free editor that you can get from Here. (http://www.irfanview.com)

gimmesanity
05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
I got it, I got it!!! Yay!

That was fun, thanks! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT
05-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Ok ummm, I am in need of some assistance.... HELP! :pray:

I got the avatar made. I resized it on Paint. I got it to 80x80 pixels. When I upload it, it says the file is too large. GRR! :wall:

Long story..SHORT :arrow: Can any of you nice knitting peoples resize my avatar to proper size? :thinking: Thanks so much!!!!!! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

Rorshach
05-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Here ya go.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
i'm not doing something right... i'm not seeing all of the possible selections; i can't find any blond or red hair (i know, mine's brown), and roundish face types OR hair that's not in a mowhawk, bald or short. crapola *arrghhhh*

KNITBIT
05-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Rorshach:

Thank U sooo much!!! :cheering:
Cool Deal! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

Rorshach
05-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Knitbit, you're more than welcome. :thumbsup:

amy
05-18-2005, 10:28 PM
WOW! I can't get over the originality and character of each of your avatars. It's so cool. I think even Egeria, whose got the coolest avatar persona ever, might be tempted by this program.

It's kind of odd though. I feel like it's invasion of the body snatchers. KH is being assimilated by colorful cool cartoon people. :shock:

Someone pinch me.

Silver
05-18-2005, 10:51 PM
i'm not doing something right... i'm not seeing all of the possible selections; i can't find any blond or red hair (i know, mine's brown), and roundish face types OR hair that's not in a mowhawk, bald or short. crapola *arrghhhh*

First, make sure you start with a female. If you're only getting short hair options (or dreadlocks), its because you're starting with a male avatar. Some of those boys look like girls though, imo. Just start with one with long hair. You can change everything about her, even skin tone.

Second, you can change the color of a feature by clicking on "Farbe" at the bottom left after selecting the feature (hair, eyes, lips, head, body etc). "Grosse", on the bottom right, will change the size of some items.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks Silver... I think i was starting with a boy, hahaha: they DO look like gorls! anyway, i spent WAY too much time playing with this thing tonight. sheesh. and i still look orange. anyway, guess i'll do a pixel-by-pixel edit tomorrow *when i don't have time*, haha.

KellyK
05-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I think you'd be PRETTIER if you were orange! C'mon! You're HILDIE! You're DIFFERENT! You can be MASTER HILDIE OF ALL THINGS ORANGE! NOTHING WILL RHYME WITH YOU!!! :thumbsup:

The only thing that bothers me about these av's is that they all look like deer in the headlights....Id like to SMILE! :mrgreen:

amy
05-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Good point Kelly, they should have that as a mouth option!

Hilde, don't do a pixel by pixel, that'll take forever! Click on Haar to select hair, then Farbe. Slide the color bar left or right to move out of the orange range, then clilck around in the box, which controls saturation and brightness of that shade. Same goes with the two areas that control skin tone (lower left options above Farbe), if you don't like the flesh tone options they offer as easy choices. HTH.

KellyK
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
You dont think Hildie would be pretty in orange??

Silver
05-19-2005, 12:02 AM
NOTHING WILL RHYME WITH YOU!!!
Nothing rhymes with Silver either.

;)

gardenia
05-19-2005, 12:03 AM
That avatar site is so cool. I spent way too much time playing with that. I couldn't find "limp, baby fine hair," so I did the best I could. :eyebrow:

amy
05-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I know, Gardenia, it's addictive! I did one for my husband, and one for a friend, and a couple random ones just to see how different I could make them look from their start. :mrgreen: Love how yours turned out. :thumbsup:

Kelly, that depends on what part of Hilde is orange. Skin, for instance, could be pretty alien-like. But the hair is hard to go wrong with; it all looks pretty cool! ;)

...but we do want Hilde to look as she wants to look. That's the whole fun!

Stonington
05-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Well here goes lol..... not sure if I did this right or not. :sunny:

Stonington
05-19-2005, 07:52 AM
:wall: obviously not.. back to the drawing board, so to speak. Have a great morning all! :balloons:

hedgehog
05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
This is quite cool :) I've spent far too much time on this program faffing around!! But i kinda like my punked out hedgehog avatar - so i'll keep him. (in fact, i'm thinking of making a pattern of it so i can knit it into a hat or something)

Here's me in my goth days... :D I couldn't get the mohawk hair to be compatible with the female faces so i made it look like when i wore it down.

And here's me now that i HAVE to be a semi-respectable professor *sigh*;) . I think i used so much Aquanet as a youngster that i have used up my lifelong ozone quota. :doh: i rarely faff with my hair now, nor wear makeup unless i HAVE to! But i still can't break out of my love for the color black and i still have streaks of mildly wild color in my hair (not shown)! LOL! Some things never change! ;)

Thanks Silver..
-hh

Aby
05-19-2005, 10:43 AM
okay, I finally did mine.

http://intheclique.com/abyss.jpg

VictoiseC
05-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Ha, well at the risk of being permanently hated from now on, I've got to be honest and tell you guys I HATE these avatars. Sorrrrrrrrrry, they remind me of comic book stuff for little kids. I think they're ugly. Ha.

I loved from the beginning Amy's beautiful face there and then KellyKs face and then all the cats and dogs. And masacarasnake's lovely one. And that really individual cool one by....oh shoot, I can't remember, the little doll. (is it gone!?) They're REAL. These other ones scare me, esp in the morning.

oops, well, at least I'm honest.

Nuno930
05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh, well I think they are cute! I know a lot of people dont want to put a real picture out there (me included) so I think these are fab! Thanks Silver for finding it, and taking the time to explain them to everyone who needed help!

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Didn't mean to discredit Silver! I loved her original pic of course.

ekgheiy
05-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Finally ...

:thinking:

Hm, they didn't have my hair. :( Anyhooo .... It's not quite me, but it gives you an idea ... *giggle*

brookenic
05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I need a little help getting this picture to the right size for my avatar. Can anyone help? Ok it's even to big to put on here.

perced
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I couldn't make mine even close to me. So far Katchoo is as close as I have seen. Whenever I am upset my nose turns red like hers. (which hubby always points out) I no longer sell comics but still read this. Strangers in Paradise (http://strangersinparadise.com). It is a great book about relationships. BTW, half the comics made today are not made for kids.

amy
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Victoise, I'm GLAD you're honest.

I think these are TOTALLY FUN to make and play with, and really cool to see what folks come up with. But I too am REALLY MISSING everyone's old avatar. I agree, I think the other ones are much more individual!! These ones are starting to look alike to me.

I love seeing them; but I'm hoping there won't be too many used permanently. :blush:

Hedgehog, your goth one is especially original. FUN! Do you have any real photos of you from that era? LOVE to see THOSE, bet they're wild!

eckgeiy, your avatar looks like how I picture feministmama looking for some reason. :?? Not sure where I got the notion of what FM looks like. Maybe she had a picture up? Or maybe I'm totally off. I like your hair and glasses, they suit "you". Makes me all the more curious what you really look like!

aby, your avatar looks like mine! We just have different outfits and background. So much for us being original. LOL. Well i guess your hair color's different.

These are fun, but yeah, they're starting to all look alike to me!

KellyK
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I like you with the BIG hair, EKG.... Im glad you chose that one. You look PREEEETY!

Silver
05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
LOL I just have to laugh. Me thinks they're a bit contagious!
*Sits back and grins at her creation* MUHAHAHA

(Don't worry, I think they will be a passing phase, but I'm enjoying them while they last!)

ekgheiy
05-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I need a little help getting this picture to the right size for my avatar. Can anyone help? Ok it's even to big to put on here.

Hey Brook,
Right click on someone's avatar, anyone's. Then save it to your hard drive. Open it with the Paint program and that will format your Paint window to the proper size. That's what I did and, with a little fanagling, I fit mine into that 80x80 size. ;) Good luck!

PS: I did my resizing in MS Word to keep it from getting distorted.

KellyK
05-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I made an Orange Hilde....Im sure she'll want it added to her profile ASAP!

amy
05-19-2005, 05:13 PM
LOL Kelly! :roflhard: ...Actually, I think I like it! You were right; Hilde does look good in orange. *chuckle*

Oooh, Silver is that YARN in the background of yours? That looks really cool!

Rorshach
05-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Looks that way, amy. Nice layering job, Silver.

ekgheiy
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM

eckgeiy, your avatar looks like how I picture feministmama looking for some reason. :?? Not sure where I got the notion of what FM looks like. Maybe she had a picture up? Or maybe I'm totally off. I like your hair and glasses, they suit "you". Makes me all the more curious what you really look like!

:devil: *ekgheiy taunts Amy* :devil:

I like you with the BIG hair, EKG.... Im glad you chose that one. You look PREEEETY!

:blush: :blush:
Why thank ya...
My real hair isn't as big, but it IS curly! 8-)
I wish they had more curl options :verysad: *sigh* ;)

gardenia
05-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Ha, well at the risk of being permanently hated from now on, I've got to be honest and tell you guys I HATE these avatars. Sorrrrrrrrrry, they remind me of comic book stuff for little kids. I think they're ugly. Ha.

I loved from the beginning Amy's beautiful face there and then KellyKs face and then all the cats and dogs. <snip>
No one will hate you for having an opinion...good grief. ;) But, I have to say, maybe I am paranoid, but I have this notion that it isn't exactly safe to have your beautiful picture on the Net, especially with so much personal information attached to it. Some psycho-stalker-type-person might hunt you down. Maybe I watch too much Law and Order SVU. :heart: that show.

Anyway, I think some of us probably will get sick of our silly cartoon selves -- or find more and more programs to play with, so we don't look so much alike. Don't worry. :lol:

ekgheiy
05-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Maybe I watch too much Law and Order SVU. :heart: that show.

Anyway, I think some of us probably will get sick of our silly cartoon selves -- or find more and more programs to play with, so we don't look so much alike. Don't worry. :lol:

Yeah ... I think I'm a little weirded out by that too ...
:oo: :oo: :oo:

By the By ... I :heart: SVU too. But unfortunately, it comes on at the same time that The Shield comes on... :verysad: ... so I haven't been watching. Check your PM!!!

Silver
05-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Anyway, I think some of us probably will get sick of our silly cartoon selves --
I actually got sick of looking at my REAL self, that's why I started looking for an avatar. LOL

Nuno930
05-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Anyway, I think some of us probably will get sick of our silly cartoon selves --
I actually got sick of looking at my REAL self, that's why I started looking for an avatar. LOL

:rofling:

Ok I am having issues with mine.. who wants to help little ole me?

KellyK
05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
:blush: :blush:
Why thank ya...
My real hair isn't as big, but it IS curly! 8-)
I wish they had more curl options :verysad: *sigh* ;)

NO! You look like FOXY BROWN! :cheering:

Silver
05-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Whatcha ya need done? :)

Silver
05-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Looks that way, amy. Nice layering job, Silver.
Thank you Rorshach. :) I just had to have yarn as my backdrop. hee!

Nuno930
05-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Whatcha ya need done? :)

I get it down to 80x80 and it is stil to big (over 6k it says). If I get it smaller it is way grainy.

Silver
05-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Here ya go. Great avatar! :thumbsup:

Nuno930
05-19-2005, 11:15 PM
AaaaAAaAAa I needed to chage it from a jpg to a gif huh?!?! Thanks !

brookenic
05-19-2005, 11:30 PM
I look so small in my avatar. Why is that? Does it look wierd?

Nuno930
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
You need to enlarge the face (the zoom button on the far right in the program)

brookenic
05-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-19-2005, 11:54 PM
even though i LOVE kk's "orange hildie" I thought i'd better try to do one that sort of looks like me.

Norman
05-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Hello all.. I've been working with Amy today to get a "automatic" resizer for ya'all.. I'm not sure if I'll host it or if she will but I'll talk with her in the am to let you know where and what the url is..

:) This way you all will be able to size it without needing special software..

Dave

KellyK
05-20-2005, 12:01 AM
:| That looks NOTHING like you, Hildegard. :|

DotMom61
05-20-2005, 10:39 AM
All right -- I finally got my avatar to work. BTW ... for those of you who are having trouble getting yours to the right size, I'm linking to mine instead of uploading it. In other words, I have it stored on my web site, and I have used the option in my KH profile to link to an avatar on another site instead of uploading it and storing it here.

So, anyway, this really doesn't look like me, but it's the best I could do. How do you add circles under your eyes and weird hair?

ekgheiy
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
All right -- I finally got my avatar to work. BTW ... for those of you who are having trouble getting yours to the right size, I'm linking to mine instead of uploading it. In other words, I have it stored on my web site, and I have used the option in my KH profile to link to an avatar on another site instead of uploading it and storing it here.

So, anyway, this really doesn't look like me, but it's the best I could do. How do you add circles under your eyes and weird hair?

I think the eye circles is under the "Extras" menus :lol:

DotMom61
05-20-2005, 10:59 AM

I loved from the beginning Amy's beautiful face there and then KellyKs face and then all the cats and dogs. And masacarasnake's lovely one. And that really individual cool one by....oh shoot, I can't remember, the little doll. (is it gone!?) They're REAL. These other ones scare me, esp in the morning.

I have to agree with you, but I just couldn't resist playing with it!! I'm going to revert back to something more natural before too long. I just love new toys, though.

The thing that bugs me about the avatars is that it's so generic. I was used to seeing these symbolic representations of everyone, and I was beginning to associate certain pictures with certain names. Now they're all gone, and everyone pretty much looks the same! Kinda makes me want to run screaming -- yet, here I am joining in on the insanity!! :help:

DotMom61
05-20-2005, 11:18 AM
OK ... in honor of Victoise and in protest of the generic feel of the avatars, I am now going to go from:

http://www.geocities.com/julieric/assets/avatar.jpg

to

http://www.geocities.com/julieric/assets/dogbag.png

My identity never to be revealed ... unless I tire of this and change to something else. Check back in 15 minutes.

ekgheiy
05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
:rofl:

feministmama
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Let's see if this works............

feministmama
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
AAAAHhhh the image got all wonky from resizing it but that's me. There was nothing even close in the german avatar maker so this is as good as it gets

kemp
05-20-2005, 02:27 PM

It is very different, isn't it? I liked seeing the "real" people too! For avatars, I think these (http://www.dollzmania.com/dollmakerselection.htm) are cuter and you can make faries, "preps" and other kinds of avatars with lots of options.

KellyK
05-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Oh..those ARE cute! Having SEVERAL options is never a bad thing! ;)

VictoiseC
05-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Oh oh oh, I'm so glad KELLYK (avatar) is back and what a GREAT PIC! Love those sunglasses! :cheering:

Ok, I think feministmama's is the first one that I liked.
And I found finally the 'little doll' avatar we have always loved and I couldn't think of whooooooo Egeria of course.

After thinking about this more, I came to the conclusion that yeah, they're fun, of course, but um, as knitters we are creative people
muy muy creative..... and a computer program like that, well, all the creativity really is done for your by somebody else basically, yeah, you select a few things but..... just look around your house or at your pictures and you could put together one hellof a interesting avatar if you know what I mean, and many have done just that.

So, that's my other take on it.

You guys sound like you should be from New York not me, what with the scared of a stalker thingy re pix. Just to show what a brave New Yorker I am, here is me..... now what avatar would you make out of this!? P.S. I am glad you sort of agree with me Amy!
:D

LisaD715
05-21-2005, 12:49 PM
here is me.....

VictoiseC
05-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Lisa! Nice pic!

Oh my god! I missed your post Dotmom until just now when I was showing my dh some of the avatars and we immediately started laughing at yourssssssss! and then I saw the post wow! In honor of me! WE LOVE THAT DOG WITH BAG ON HEAD!

:cheering: Creative, yeah!

DotMom61
05-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey Lisa! Nice pic!

Oh my god! I missed your post Dotmom until just now when I was showing my dh some of the avatars and we immediately started laughing at yourssssssss! and then I saw the post wow! In honor of me! WE LOVE THAT DOG WITH BAG ON HEAD!

:cheering: Creative, yeah!

Well, I'm glad I could give you a chuckle. It made me laugh, too. :lol:

Good dog.

amy
05-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Hilde! WOW, that TOTALLY looks JUST like you! You win the prize for most accurate! Very very cool background and total effect, too. WTG! :thumbsup:

Nuno, yours is SO COOL. Great personality.

Dotmom, ROFL, love your doggie bag-head pick. :roflhard:

Kelly, you're too cute! :cheering: Great pic.

Victoise, THANKS for sharing a pic of yourself! And you too Lisa! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see more pics of folks!

ekgheiy
05-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Dotmom, ROFL, love your doggie bag-head pick. :roflhard:
:rofling: I have a picture of Ocelot when he was kitten; he love to squeeze into small objects ... the picture show his head stuck in one of those small Dixie bathroom cups!!! The doggie-bag picture so reminds me of Ocelot and his kitten antics!

amy
05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
When we had our first cat Pookie, one of our favorite things was to let him lick the inside of a pint of ice cream, and watch him get it stuck on his head in the process. *giggle*

ekgheiy
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
When we had our first cat Pookie, one of our favorite things was to let him lick the inside of a pint of ice cream, and watch him get it stuck on his head in the process. *giggle* :roflhard:

brightspot
05-25-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't have a picture of me to show you with it, but this is as close as I could get. It does look like me about 10 years ago. I sort of have this Rogue (from Xmen) thing going on with the gray. My kids keep telling me not to dye my hair because they think it is cool, but I am only 38 and look about 50. Tonight they said I could dye it if I kept those gray streaks out of the dye. :mrgreen:

ekgheiy
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't have a picture of me to show you with it, but this is as close as I could get. ...(etc): DON'T DIE IT...*ahem* excuse me ... DON'T DYE IT!!! I too think the grey stripe is kewl!! My mother has the prettiest salt&pepper hair, with a nice bold stripe forming in the front. I think it's gorgeous; she dislikes it. But since she knows that I would NEVER allow her to look like $hite, she's come to the belief that while she still dislikes it, she knows that she looks damn good! So have a little faith in your kids Brightspot ;) I'm sure they wouldn't lead you wrong :thumbsup:

FYI - I found my first grey hair when I was 23; my mother found her first when she was 21. If my hair greys look as great as my mother's, there will be nothing wrong with that!! I'll just have to invest in some Silver Shampoo and have at it!!! :lol:

MsBehavin
08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I think this website is the best and I wante to thank everyone for it!! I am learning so much, and to think all I was searching for was knitting....
http://5.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/9/516/glitter_maker_08_28_2007_17_52_54_78855.gif (http://www.GlitterMaker.com/)

Ronda
08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I think you all broke it. I can't even get to the site. :tap:

Cia
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, normally I'm not technically challenged... but I can't even find this avatar maker thingy!!!! Please help, I too wanna play:teehee:

Silver
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
This thread is over 2 years old. That's why the link doesn't work anymore. I'm going to close this thread so there's no more confusion. ;)