PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried the new LionBrand suede yarn?

Glenda
05-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new LionBrand Suede yarn? If so, did you like it and what did you make? Thanks. Glenda ;)

Silver
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I have some. I bought it just to play with. It's nice, I think it looks more like suede when knit on smaller needles, and it feels great!

1to1
05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow, what are you going to make? I think it would be cool to make a purse.

Glenda
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Me, too. I'm making a backpack with it. It calls for 9 needles but I think I'm going to use 8 needles instead. I LOVE the way it feels!!!!!

Silver
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't know what I want to make. I bought a medium brown and dark brown. I have a pair of jeans with a strip of suede down the front of each leg, and the lighter brown yarn matches *exactly*.

Maybe a striped purse... or hat & scarf... I dunno! :)

LisaD715
05-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Glenda....I really like the suede!! The purse sounds great, on 8 or maybe even a 7. I just finished a project on 11 with chenille (similiar thickness)...wishing I had used 10 instead, but still just as pretty.

franna724
05-19-2005, 08:16 AM
I got 3 balls of the Ebony, and I am making my mom a beaded purse. I'm modifying a pattern I saw online. I love this yarn. It's so soft, and I'm not normally a fan of plain garter stitch, but it looks so lovely in this yarn. However, you want to be careful not to knit too tightly, I can see how the yarn could easily break.

Anna

Aby
05-19-2005, 09:32 AM
I bought some chenille thick and quick and I can NOT work with it. I don't know why but if I knit loose stitches, so I can get the needle in, it turns out all lumpy and sloppy looking. I got about 10 inches in before I frogged it all. If I try to use regular tension stitches, I can't get the second needle in, even if I move the loop down to the point. :crying: I really love the feel of this stuff and want to use it... can you give me some pointers, LisaD715?

Glenda
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Lisa,
When I began using this suede yarn, I ended up frogging my project twice before I got it right. I love the feel of it. I'm making the LionBrand knitted backpack. It's turning out really kool. It looks like suede. The pattern calls for 9 needles but I switched to 8. If I do another one I think I'll do it on 7 needles. The smaller the guage, the more it looks like suede. Good luck. Glenda :XX:

Stonington
05-20-2005, 09:41 AM
glenda,
can you share where you found your back pack pattern? Thanks! anne :sunny:

Glenda
05-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I got it off the LionBrand website. It's one of their free patterns.

LisaD715
05-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Aby, what sized needles are you using for the chenille? That likes a larger needle and it looks better with a little space in between. I made the wrap on 11's but wished I had done 10's (will for the next one). I DID find it hard to use at first, it does not like to move between my fingers, and it does not like frogging.

Rennagayle
05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Ooh, I'm so glad to see this post, and the good reviews for Lion Brand's Suede. Wal-Mart is my only yarn source within a hundred miles. Anything I don't buy there must be ordered, and I really like to see yarn up close and feel it before the first time I use it.

I was thrilled last night to see that WM's yarn dept is finally carrying a few different products than their norm, the Lion Brand Suede being one of them. I knew I'd have to come here first to see what other knitters think of it. :thumbsup:

Now I just have to come up with an idea of what to make with it. I'm thinking Mom...Christmas...but haven't gotten anymore specific than that yet. :thinking:

LisaD715
05-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Wal-Mart is my only yarn source within a hundred miles.

Have you considered moving? I Know some great areas in Texas that have more places with great yarns...

Rennagayle
05-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Have you considered moving? I Know some great areas in Texas that have more places with great yarns...

Hmm....moving for the purpose of being near yarns......hmm.... :thinking: It sounds about as good a reason as any I can think of. :thumbsup: