PDA

View Full Version : I'm a GENIOUS... easy design idea

foldedbird
05-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Remember the thread I had about 25 things to do with swatches? Well, if not, this won't make as much sense.

If you're a weirdo, and like to keep swatches, here's something you can do with them. Assuming they are 4x4" swatches (let's just say 4"), you can stack them up cube/square/rectangle ways to get an idea of how big you want a bag, potholder, a scarf, a needle case, whatever. And since you've got your swatches RIGHT THERE, you can measure up your gauge and figure out exactly how many stitches you need to cast on..how many rows, whatver.

Now, you could simulate all of this of course with 4 inch squares of paper, cardboard, index cards...and so on. I included this for non-swatch keepers...I know you are out there!

Isn't that cool?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 01:27 AM
YES! COOL! I am a swatch keeper... i felted mine into coasters for cheap last minute gifts.

rebecca
05-21-2005, 08:14 AM
sounds very cool...but... :( i am not a keeper of the swatch... :thinking: perhaps this should change....hmmmm

KellyK
05-21-2005, 09:21 AM
i am not a keeper of the swatch... :roflhard:

*KellyK in falsetto, gravelly Yoda voice*

http://www.starwars.ndo.co.uk/episodes4-6/yoda.jpgA keeper of the swatch you MUST be, young Knit-I! Guide your GAUGE, the force will!

My imagination just works WAY too hard. :shifty:[/img]

foldedbird
05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
LOL!!! Now, if someone could take Yoda's pic and make it look like he was knitting...

amy
05-22-2005, 11:59 PM
:roflhard: Kelly, that's awesome. Especially "Young Knit-I" ROFL.

Denise, i get it, took me a minute. So you use the swatches as a measuring/sizing tool? I guess if you were a Super Knit-I and did the garter stitch border some folks do, it would work well. I'm a Slacker Knit-I, and just do all stockinette on my swatches, so they roll and would be a bit unsuited to the task I'm afraid. :blush:

KellyK/Yoda, help me! I'm a Slacker Knit-I. I need guidance!

BinkyKat
05-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Oooo, now here's a way I can relate my hobby to my DH's restrained yet serious devotion to Star Wars...
(waving hand across face...)"It's o.k. to buy more yarn...There is always room for yarn" :lol:
Hmmm. maybe I'll start an OT on how to incorporate knit/crochet into our fave movie titles... Could be fun!
Sign me,
ObiYarnKnitobi :eyebrow:

newtoknit
05-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm new to knitting and think it sounds like a great idea! I pledge to become a swatch-keeper! :D

brendajos
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
well i have a blog that i haven't used yet that is named Chronicles of Yarnia...does that count?

foldedbird
05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Sure it counts, prospective blog keeper.

Swatch keepers rule!

Yes, Amy I use some swatches as a visual measuring device. I'm dyslexic as can be, esp. when it comes to numbers and/or visualizing things. I have to measure biscuit dough to make sure its really a 1/4" thick...speaking of a spare needle gauge is awesome for that.

Oddly though, I can spot an 8mm bead or a 2.5" headpin out of a line up. It's quite strange!!!!

It's o.k. to buy more yarn...There is always room for yarn That's great...we need that on a t-shirt with Yoda.[/quote]

foldedbird
05-23-2005, 12:15 PM
:roflhard\ I'm a Slacker Knit-I, and just do all stockinette on my swatches, so they roll and would be a bit unsuited to the task I'm afraid

I'd assume that your swatches are still the size they need be, and you just pin your edges down to get your measurement. If so, you could just pin down your swatches on your carpet to get the same visual...but only if you're as crazy as I am.

We need one of those boards quilters use...you can just stick the fabric to it. That would be cooool to have.

KellyK
05-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Sign me,
ObiYarnKnitobi :eyebrow:

:roflhard:

Who's gonna be FROGGA the HUT?

foldedbird
05-23-2005, 01:03 PM
lol...

I do tend to frog things quite frequently!

Silver
05-23-2005, 03:08 PM
A keeper of the swatch you MUST be, young Knit-I! Guide your GAUGE, the force will!
:roflhard: :roflhard:
I TOTALLY *HEARD* Yoda say that.

foldedbird
05-23-2005, 07:58 PM
A keeper of the swatch you MUST be, young Knit-I! Guide your GAUGE, the force will!
I TOTALLY *HEARD* Yoda say that.

I *totally* think you need to go to rehab if you *HEARD* Yoda say that.

BinkyKat
05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Luke, I am your frogger!
:devil:

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: