PDA

View Full Version : Hildie and Kelly's Jiggly Jaunt through Geneva

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Picture the scene...a BEAUTIFUL day...mid 70's. Geneva, Illinois, a quaint little town smack in between Hilde and KellyK, an hour away from both of us.

Hilde: First, KK scares the bugs outta me by sneaking up on my at the yarn store... and giving me a bear hug! Yay! we finally meet!

KK: I didnt know you had bugs IN you...I would have been more careful!

Hilde: Then we decide we're starving so we abandon the YS :shock: *gasp* and go have lunch.... mmmm popperssssss

KK: I thought these were finger foods...Hildie got all FANCY & ate them with a fork and knife...I started getting a complex & had to do the same thing. :oops:

Hilde: Next, our lunches... look the reuben and BLT are friends too! We even ordered the same drink!

KK: That was one GOOD sandwich! I enjoyed our conversation about the pros and cons of various condiments!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:36 PM
next... shopping!

Hilde: I don't remember why KK was mad in that pic....

KK: I think you asked me how I thought our "date" was going.

Hilde: In pic 2, the hats are made out of recycled silk.

KK: They looked HUGE on the shelf...when we put them on, we then realized our heads are equally HUGE!

Hilde: Pic three, in a "party store"...This guy looks like a real sugar daddy... just call me anna nicole...

KK: You'd need a different hair color & alot less BRAINS, Hildie dear!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Hildie: next...ATM and wine tasting

KK: We should've taken pics of us at Galena Cellars, or at LEAST of the wine guy...CUTE!

Hildie: We held up the line at the ATM to take a couple of pics in the car. Don't we look gawgeous! :rollseyes: These didn't turn out like we thought it should....

KK: What's with me and looking UP for pics? Why do I think models DO that??? :??

Hildie: KK snapped the third pic when i wasn't looking... check out the galena wine, ooo yay baby!

KK: Hee hee....I took a pic of Hildie's BUTT. :shifty:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Hildie: Butterfly pictures outside the nail salon

KK: I am glad there werent modeling agents walking by when we took these...we would have been immediately whisked off to NYC with lifelong contracts, and we'd never have time to return to KH again!! That would have been SAD!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Hildie: pedicure + knitting = kniticure

KK: My favorite things, knitting and foot rubs, all rolled into one! The PERFECT day!!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Hildie: almost done....

KK: Look at Hildie's face...she was UNknitting her work...with concentration like Ive NEVER seen before! She was IN THE ZONE! I only wish that your pedi-chick would have given you cute toe separators like I had...I think you were right...I DID get the "good one"

OH! The girl that was doing my pedi...she was SO impressed that we had met online and become friends! She thought one only went online to "meet guys". :?? She said Hildie and I are like SOULMATES. :lol: And, she said we look like sisters. She invited us to come back monthly...

Hildie: She also amended the soul mates comment to be "soul mates in a non-lesbian way" Which we thought was interesting...

KK: For the Seinfeld fans..."NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!" :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Matching toes!

KK: Next time I will re-think those cute toe separators...they left weird indentations on me!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Hildie: KK's butt.

KK: DAMMIT. :mad: Paybacks are a B**ch!

Hildie: Hmm... I don't think she was paid back QUITE enough.... there was no squat involved in THIS pic.

My butt is larger, so I'm posting KK's butt twice. ha! :happydance:

KK: HEY!!! :mad:

KellyK
05-23-2005, 10:42 PM
KK: Hilde was TOO SCARED (bock! bock!) to get up on this cannon in front of the court building, but we felt that ONE of us must be compelled to straddle it! I was BRAVE!!! :mrgreen:

Hildie: Hey, that was a long way up there! Besides, I don't just straddle everything I come across, like SOME people we know :rollseyes:

KellyK
05-23-2005, 10:44 PM
KK: And, Hildie didnt think we'd ever find ANYTHING to rival her blessed endowment! ;)

Hildie: Who knew it would be in front of the courthouse!

KellyK
05-23-2005, 10:48 PM
KK: I had brought a blanket to sit in a park & knit. BUT, we couldnt find a park ANYWHERE. Can you believe it??? SO...we compromised & found STARBUCKS. Outside tables....nice day.
Hildie had a Venti Iced Chai (gawd forbid you utter the word LARGE in Starbucks!) and I ordered a fancy Venti mocha frappacino. Only, this chick must have put 5 helpings of mocha in there!!! I tried calming it down by attempting to stir the whipped cream into it...that was HARD! I brought it inside to ask them to just add some milk, and they insisted on making me a new one!

Hildie: By the time we got to starbucks, it was after 5:00. KK had the forethought to use the facilities whilst we were getting our pedicures (well, technically right before them, not WHILE), but for some reason I didn't... so inbetween pedicures and starbucks almost 2 and a half hours went by, and i STILL didn't go! I was making a beeline for the potty in starbucks, when a mom and her snotty obnoxious kids practically ran me down to get there first... as I was waiting KK came in, and someone ELSE got in front of me :mad: I was in a much better mood after my turn finally came...

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:00 PM
KK: Whilst sipping our beverages, I made some AWESOME progress on my Silver Sock! My gusset was looking very gussetey, then I tried it on....I would have had to have POPEYE FEET!!! Well, everyone has TOLD me that one's first sock NEVER fits right...you have to find the right pattern for YOU.

Hildie's yarn fuzz was a big HAM and had to get into the picture, too... :rollseyes:

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
KK: And now....the SAD SAD Saga of Hildie's tank top...Ill let her tell you...*snif* I.....I just CANT. :crying:

Hildie: *sigh* So, as perviously mentioned, I was knitting my tank from FCEK... Remember the concentration I was putting in on UNknitting, back during the pedicure? So after unknitting about a row and a half (so, about 300 stitches total), I REknit them, and I was making great progress... UNTIL I noticed it was looking funky :help: So I spent about 20 minutes studying my 6 rows ofribbing, and lo and behold, my stitches were twisted when I joined :verysad: Soooooo, I ripped it off the needles, and started to frog :frog: And, naturally, I ended up with a big tangled MESS of yarn :doh: so I spent our knitting day UNknitting and then untying knots :wall:

and KK didn't help at all... she just took pictures of my patheticness, and gloated about how much better she is than I am.

KK: OMG THAT IS SOOO NOT TRUE! I gave you a BIG hug, and kept checkin in with ya..."How ya doin over there, friend??" Do you REMEMBER any of THAT?? You big FORGETTER!! :|

Hildie: Okay, I was wrong... KK did offer support and love during my crisis... I was just projecting my frustrations. (she WAS smiling when she tookthe pictures though!)

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
KK: After sitting at Starbucks for more than 2 HOURS, we finally decided that our hubbys might miss us...we headed back to our cars. :( BUT we stopped on the way to take a pic of the YS at which our destinies met, and found a VERY cool undies-store with a COOL window!

Hildie: The blue yarn was in the window of Wool and Company... you'd think that we'd have spent most of our time in there, but we didn't! ANNNND I achieved a personl record for least amount of money spent at a yarn store: only 6 bucks (I bought felting needles, yay!)

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
KK; I stopped at Hildie's car to get my HUGE GIGANTIC HEAD-SIZED snickerdoodle (YUM!), purchased earlier & meant to be shared in the park that we never found, and then we said goodbye. :waving:

Hildie: KK *did* share her cookie with me though... she shoved a gigantic crumbly piece in my mouth, hence the crumbly lips in these pics. Thanks, KK.

KK: You looked PREEEETY with crumbly lips!! :mrgreen:

KellyK
05-23-2005, 11:29 PM
KK: OMG...we TOTALLY forgot to mention the British Barker we met on the way to Galena Cellars!

This guy in a suit was standing out in front of a building of stores (not exactly a mall...) and ENTICING people to come in...saying, "There's 10 SHAWPS in heyah!" We were SO thirsty, so we asked if one of them was a juice bar...

He says, "Theyah is no jooooce baaaah, but theyah IS a wauuuutah FOWWWNTAIN" :roflhard: I SWEAR...it was all DRAWN OUT like that! We couldnt find the wautah fowntain. We left & luckily found WINE!!! :happydance:

In closing.....

THINGS KELLY LEARNED ON HER KNITTING DATE WITH HILDIE:

1. Hildie is TERRIFIED to cross the street! I offered to hold her hand....

2. We like to make fun of people. (Well, okay...just the british guy and the uber-happy waitress at lunch) :oops:

3. Hildie doesnt like "chihuahua people" And, Geneva has, like 3 doggy stores (well, one I would have actually called a kitty store...). One store was a Paris Hilton type store....Hildie was VERY HAPPY to leave. I thought it was funny.

4. Hildie tells EVERY animal that she meets that she WUVS THEM. She's very sweet that way. :inlove:

5. We are SO much alike....its strange to meet someone with whom you feel INSTANTLY comfortable. Even silence is okay. Maybe we WERE sisters...or soulmates...or lesbians...in another life!

:heart: I WUV YOU HILDIE!!!! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-24-2005, 12:01 AM
It was a FUN FUN FUN day! I did attempt to take a picture of KK while driving away, but it ended up being of the people walking in front of her...

Stuff I learned at KK:
1. KK has unmatched knowledge of condiments, however, A-1 steak sauce is NOT good on french fries.

2. KK is obsessed with anything tiny... dogs, toys, clothes, and about 3 steps away from being one of those people who purposefully outfits their dogs to match their clothing, and carries their dog around in a miniature purse so people have to choice but to say "Oh what knid of dog is that? How much does he weigh? How old is he?" :rollseyes:

3. KK is a totally free spirit, not able to care LESS about what other people think of her or what she's doing

4. KK is not quite as catty as me, but she IS willing to work on this necessary girlfriend skill.... and she was totally UNcatty when I explainedmy self-tanner mishap (thanks KK!)

5. We both REALLY like snickerdoodles, and like to pretend that we know how models do their crazy poses... and KK likes me enough to share cookes and looking silly with me, which is even better! :happydance:

:inlove: I WUV KK! (and mostpuppies and kitties) :inlove:

And, in my defense, I am *not* afraid to cross the street, I am just extra cautious!

KellyK
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
In MY defense.....

I really thought you LIKED the A-1 on fries! :verysad: I just wanted to SHARE. Well, that shows how SCHWEET you are for not telling me Im a FREAK. :inlove:

I thought I WAS being catty...when I said Id work on it...I meant the opposite! :oops:

I do not like small clothes...they piss me off. :mad:

Ill share my snickerdoodles with you (in a non-lesbian way) ANYTIME, Hildegard!

Aby
05-24-2005, 02:29 AM
okay guys.. that was cute! I'm sad that I live all the way in Florida now.. cause I like snickerdoodles too!

Actually, sounds like y'all had a blast.. I'm jealous :crying:

Stonington
05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
:cheering: :cheering: OMG... that was wonderful... thank you both so much for sharing.... your wonderful day with all of us. A great way to start my day at work. Plan to leave it up so I can revisit it when I need a giggle! :sunny:

rebecca
05-24-2005, 08:06 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: YAY for u 2...sounds like u had a blast...now...i want to know where in florida that u live bc i have family there & i'm in savannah....and i'm nosy....i'm so JEALOUS!!!! i wanted to go :crying: ....i'm so :D ya'll had fun!!! the british guy....a riot!!
kelly...was that your 1st sock?! very nice!!!!!

Aby
05-24-2005, 08:11 AM
I live on what's known as the "nature coast" just near Weeki Wachee.. in a town called Spring Hill. If that doesn't ring a bell, it's on the gulf coast north of Tampa.

Nuno930
05-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Awww what a great time you two had!

Helide - I am sorry about your tank - may it rest in peace

I love snickerdoodles :heart:

Norman
05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Man almost makes me wish I went to Chicago .. :)

*laugh* you two looked like you had lots of fun..

We are planning a chicago trip coming up here in august.. :)

KellyK
05-24-2005, 09:03 AM
:cheering: YAYYY! Im SO glad y'all are enjoying our little "slide show". We worked really hard on it, you know.... :happydance:

kemp
05-24-2005, 09:24 AM
OMG...you guys are nuts!!! ( :heart: it!)

My favorite pictures are the ones with the butterfly, you are both very photogenic :inlove: My second favorite pictures are the ones of the cannon... the line about some of us won't straddle just anything had me :roflhard: The town you were in looks so cute! I don't know how you avoided the blue yarn and the undies store. Much more willpower than I have!!! :doh:

I had a thought before about having a KH get together, but figured there weren't enough people on the board yet. A board I use to frequent had overnight get togethers for larger areas...like midwest, southern california, florida, southern, etc. Maybe as KH grows more of us will have a chance to meet! :) Think of all the knitting/chatting/girlfriending/learning that could happen on an overnight retreat!!!

I am so glad you guys shared this. It really put a :) on my face the whole time I read it!

PS Kelly...since you are obsessed with all things tiny...I just got finished making two pair of newborn socks for my friend who is having twins any minute now. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun...instant gratification......if you don't have a local baby, you could always send some to my friend, or maybe they would look good on Howie??? At any rate, I think you do need to start dressing him and carrying him around in a knitted "Howie Bag". :)

Sara
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing! I think I may have to bake some snickerdoodles today...

VickiIL
05-24-2005, 10:38 AM
How fun! I am glad you both had such a good time! Thanks for the pictures! :roflhard:

Aby
05-24-2005, 10:38 AM
PS Kelly...since you are obsessed with all things tiny...I just got finished making two pair of newborn socks for my friend who is having twins any minute now. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun...instant gratification......if you don't have a local baby, you could always send some to my friend, or maybe they would look good on Howie??? At any rate, I think you do need to start dressing him and carrying him around in a knitted "Howie Bag".

You could also knit some up and donate them to the NICU at your local hospital. The tiny little premie babies could really use them. Warm little hats as well. My baby sister was a very tiny premie and I remember how hard it was for my mom to find anything that fit her.

kemp
05-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I was already thinking about that since I have had such a good time making them! I am sure Cincinnati Children's accepts thinks like that.

knitqueen
05-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow, you'd think you two knew each other since childhood! :D

Incidentally, what are felting needles??

Aby
05-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I know the NICU here will sterilize them so they can be used, but if your local hospital can't or wont do that, they could still give them out before the family leaves the hospital.

Another thing, I volunteer at our local charity called "Metropolitan Ministries" and every year they have food and toy drives for the holidays. They also run a kitchen for the homeless. If you have a local place like that, I bet the need for sweaters and blankets is tremendous. If you ever feel down and want to appreciate what you have, volunteering will certainly help you out. It's the most wonderful feeling to know you made a difference, no matter how small, in someone else's life :cheering:

Now I will un-hijack this thread hehe :blush:

KellyK
05-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I know whatcha mean, Aby...I am very lucky to have a job that makes me feel that way!

Felting needles are for "hand felting" as opposed to in the washer.....you can do detailed artwork on an already-felted piece with small pieces of wool roving...Im sure Hilde has a link to an article somewhere...

Julie
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you had a great day! Geneva is a great town for a knitting date...

I got my felting needles at Wool & Co. :thumbsup: They have the best samples of felted stuff all over the store...I always leave with the strange compulsion to go home and felt something!

more about needle felting (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_fabric_pillows/article/0,1789,HGTV_3251_2944666,00.html)

Rennagayle
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Gosh, Hildie & KK, you do look like sisters! Neither of you has any trace of reserve in your pictures. You each look like you're hanging out with your best friend from childhood. I was alternately smiling and laughing throughout the entire read. Love the toes, by the way! :D

It really was nice of you two to share your day with us. :mrgreen:

Jivewhistle
05-24-2005, 12:24 PM
I :heart: it!! You two were definately sisters or lesbians in a previous life. :rofling: I :heart: snickerdoodles too!! Last time I made some I was 10 or so and I added wayyyyyyyyyy to much salt :( They were so nasty and I was so mad I didn't follow the directions right. Well, my dad ate them anyways..hehe.

Gotta love that pic of KK on the canon. :roflhard:

It's awesome you guys got to meet!!!

ekgheiy
05-24-2005, 01:08 PM
KK and Hilde!!!

I AM SO JEALOUS!! This was wonderful!!!! I totally could wait to post how much I was lovin' this!!! But STILL ... I'M SO JEALOUS!!

*ekgheiy starts to sniffle*

Seriously you two ... this was such a wonderful post! You two inspire us all!
I would ask if anyone wants to do one in MD ... but then ... we all know how ekgheiy feels about posting her peeky-ture. :oops: ... Surely there's got to be a creative way to deal with this. :??

Rennagayle
05-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Ekgheiy, I had to read "peeky-ture" 3 or 4 times before it dawned on me what you meant. :rofling:

Anne
05-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Great pictures. Isn't it fun to finally meet?

Last year i met a gal from Ohio that i met on the AOL recipe board. We have chatted for 3 years and finally met last year. The first time we saw each other we hugged each other so hard. We both agreed we felt like we had known each other all our lives. We have so much in common.

KK and Hilde you look like sisters. I am so happy that you had the change to meet :happydance:

wildforyarn
05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks so much Kelly and Hilde for sharing! I am SAD I missed it. ;)

We have a lot of people on this board from Illinois, Midwest and I am from Madison, Wisconsin, so not far from IL. I would love for us all to meet or any of us to meet. Anyone interested?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-24-2005, 08:59 PM
YES YES YES WE SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jivewhistle
05-24-2005, 09:00 PM
I'll be all for a visit when I have my own vehicle. I'm in St. Louis, so Chicago wouldn't be too far for me either. :lol:

ChroniclesofYarnia
05-24-2005, 09:04 PM
You guys are making me hope that my husband accepts the job in Cedar Rapids (even though I hear it smells like oatmeal and, on certain days, fruit) just so that I can meet you. How awesome that you guys were so open with each other at a first meeting! I look forward to seeing further adventures! You guys should start your own blog!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
well, we could, except KK woul dbe doing all the work, since I am lazy about updating blogs. But I guess that's okay with me!

There is a knitting extravaganza coming up in august in chicago that maybe we midwesterners could get together for... KK said I could spend the night at her house, so I'm sure you'e all invited too! (right kk? :roflhard: )

KellyK
05-24-2005, 09:55 PM
As many as can pile on to my ONE full-sized guest bed!! :roflhard:

MaryB
05-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Stitches Midwest will be Aug. 11-14 in Rosemont, IL. If you have never been to a Stitches, it is worth a trip to Rosemont. Shops and dealers from all over the country are there. Check out Knitters magazine for more info, or visit knittinguniverse.com.
Start saving your pennies now!!!

VickiIL
05-24-2005, 10:58 PM
You guys are making me hope that my husband accepts the job in Cedar Rapids (even though I hear it smells like oatmeal and, on certain days, fruit) just so that I can meet you. How awesome that you guys were so open with each other at a first meeting! I look forward to seeing further adventures! You guys should start your own blog!

I went to college in Cedar Rapids...Oatmeal is the best of the smells! There is also a meat packing plant! Yummy...especially on warm days. YUCK!

amy
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
:cheering: OMG, what FUN. I'm so happy for you two that you had such a fun time and that you shared it with all of us! You two really ARE an inspiration! LOVE all the pictures. Especially the butterfly pose, and Hildie comparing breast size to the court houst sculpture. :roflhard:

And I'm SUPER jealous that I wasn't there to join you! We really SHOULD do some kind of get together!! And it really SHOULD be in Illinois, because KellyK can fit everyone on her couch! :mrgreen: (and it seems like half of us are already in Illinois!)

Seriously, if you all figure something out, I'll fly to Illinois! I'm not going to miss the BIG date! August works for me, I'm totally open!
:thumbsup:

ps
Thanks for emailing me KellyK! I'm really bad at keeping up with the forum lately. I'd have hated to miss this thread!!!!!!

wildforyarn
05-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey, August is totally open with me too! ;) I would love to go to the thing in Rosemont, but don't think I will have the money in time and it looks like some of the good classes are already sold out. :crying: But, me being selfish and still pulling for an Illinois meeting, I would still drive the 2.5 hours to the Chicagoland area for a meeting. ;)

KellyK
05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
August sounds like a good time for a knitty backyard lunchtime pot luck cookout at Kelly's house! Whaddaya think?? :cheering:

MaryB
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
I have attended Stitches twice and did not take classes either time. I usually could not fit it into my schedule. My friends and I have enjoyed walking around and shopping at the booths. You can get a lot of ideas and, of course, spend a lot of money.

KellyK
05-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Maybe we could rent a BUS to transport all of us the half hour north to Rosemont from my house! I wonder if they offer group rates??? :thinking:

wildforyarn
05-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Kelly, you had great ideas in both posts! I would love to have a get together with people from this site! Everyone is so friendly and fun!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
So if we do stitches, who cares about the classes? I'd rather spend time getting to know all of you. We *could* go see the vendors though. Or maybe a LYS has a class one of those days we could all take.

I told KK that maybe we Illinois people who are close to Chocagoland could host someone from KH at our house, like a foreign exchange student. I personally live 2 hours away, so I don't know that it woul dmake sense for me to host someone... and my husband sleeps in the guest bedroom, cuz he snores. SO i guess if someone wants to sleep 2 hours away from the venue with my snoring husband, then.... : :?? hmm... well, nm, i might have an issue with that. I guess that means *i* i have to sleep with him :doh:
ANYWAY, what do you other chicago suburb people think?

KK what are you talking about, a BUS??? We need a limo. With a hot driver.

yay fun!!!!! :cheering:

KellyK
05-27-2005, 12:06 AM
We need a limo. With a hot driver.
Named PAOLO. :eyebrow:

Stonington
05-27-2005, 08:05 AM
hmmm I just map quested the trip.... lol
Total Est. Time: 16 hours, 39 minutes Total Est. Distance: 1094.81 miles
:( but if you all post like Kelly and Hildi..... it would be great to live vicariously :cheering:
anne

suziehomemaker
05-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Rosemont is about a half hour drive (in light traffic) from my place but unfortunately I have to go to my DHs family reunion! Ugh! My first chance to meeting up with all of you and shop with various vendors and I have to travel to NYS. No fair!

rebecca
05-27-2005, 10:37 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance: I'm still so happy that ya'll had soooo much fun!!!! And i agree with everyone else...u r sisters...somehow...u were separated @ birth...a HUGE hospital cover up of some sort....and u have found one another...yet the hospital mishap is known to no one...life is such a mystery!!!
And u all r planning a summer get-together...how cool :D !! That sounds like a blast for everyone to get to know each other...such FUN, FUN, FUN!! But it makes me :( bc I couldn't go....but very, very :D :D for all of you that can bc it will be a blast....and there must be MANY pictures...a slide show like this one (it's wonderful)...but much larger!!!!!
Knitty friends are so fun :cheering: :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Suzie will you be gone that whole time???? It's 4 whole days!
Stony, don't you think that 17 hours of driving would make the experience of being here EVEN MORE fun??????? I do :happydance:

ekgheiy
05-27-2005, 12:33 PM
I like snickerdoodles.

suziehomemaker
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Suzie will you be gone that whole time???? It's 4 whole days!

Unfortunately yes. This blows! We leave for NYS on Aug 10th and come back on Aug 21st. We get to see our family and go hiking in the Adirondacks but I'm definitely going to miss going with you guys. Any other events this summer?

Sara
05-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Yarnmommy: Cedar Rapids is known as the "City of Four Smells". Quaker Oats does NOT smell like oatmeal, rather more like a brewery gone bad. But you usually only get a whiff of it when you drive past the plant. Just my opinion: I would go to Cedar Rapids in a hot second if I had the chance. Good schools, friendly people, you can't beat it. Hmm, can you tell that I'm from Iowa and ridiculously homesick?

We're hoping to come out to the midwest in August. If the house we live in doesn't sell out from under us, or a million other spanners that could wreck our plans. I'd love to meet with you guys! I think you'd like me. I don't think I translate well online, but I'm really fun in person. I hope Benniesma and I can get together here in June.

gardenia
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I would ask if anyone wants to do one in MD ... but then ... we all know how ekgheiy feels about posting her peeky-ture. :oops: ... Surely there's got to be a creative way to deal with this. :??
I could meet you in D.C., but I'm fairly introverted, so there would be no canon mounting going on. :lol: Those are my favorite photos from the KK and Hildie show.

TGIF

ekgheiy
05-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I could meet you in D.C., but I'm fairly introverted, so there would be no canon mounting going on. :lol: Those are my favorite photos from the KK and Hildie show. Dudette!! How are far are ya from:

Knit and Stitch
4706 Bethesda Ave
Bethesda, MD 20814-5234
(301) 652-8688
www.needleworkloft.com

I've never been there, but it looks like nice place for KIP on June 11. :) (If it's not too far for ya! ;))

Also ... I just called Knit & Stitch to see if they'd heard about the KIP on June 11 and if they are doing anything to promote it, like setting out chairs etc. Anyhooo...the lady hadn't heard of it, but she took down the website. During the conversation, she mentioned the annual Knit Out that DC hosts. Here's (http://www.knit-out.org/) the website. They haven't posted this year's date. It'd be fun if all kh members in MD, DC, VA could meet there. Maybe we could wear KH.com tags on our shirts or something?? :?? It's an idea... What do ya think ... :thinking:

feministmama
05-27-2005, 04:19 PM
omigoddess how did I miss this thread???? y'all are too much. Thanks for the laugh. I used to live in Iowa. I went to the University of Iowa in Iowa City (Whew that was a lot of Iowas) and we used to go to Ceder Rapids to go the mall and then they built that superdo one right in Iowa CIty. Cedar Rapids smells like beer gone wrong. Here in Portland OR it sometimes smells like REALLY hoppy beer. But I haven't lived in Iowa in about 5 years. I'm originally from Boston so I would have a free place to stay if anone wanted to do a gathering in the New England area. I don't know if there are any other KHers in the Pacific NW but I'd love to go to anything from Seattle to Eugene. Hell I can host one at my house if anyone is in PDX. We could have a whole thread just for local KH gatherings!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Hmm... I wonder if someone could design a regional US map with a member list showing who is from where. That might be interesting from a statistical point of view as well (or not), and would also make it easier for members to see "close" people.

Stonington
05-29-2005, 09:40 AM
That sounds like a fun idea.. the mapping. There do not seem to be too many folks on from New England... but it would be fun to find out. :cheering:

KellyK
05-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Let's ask Amy or Dave (Norman) if there is a way to stick a DOT (maybe one shaped like a ball of yarn) on a map using the location info that folks have in their user profiles!

Norman
05-29-2005, 09:05 PM
I have seen a mod for phpBB that will take users information and add it to a MAP.

However, if you want it on a yarn ball? Which I don't understand, we'd have to develop that.. and I could always develop something like that.. but if you just want a map.. I know for a fact there is a mod out there..

Sara
05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I thought she meant that the pins would look like yarn balls? :??

benniesma
05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
How did I miss this thread for so long? It sounds like you gals had a blast! Twins seperated at birth!

KellyK
05-30-2005, 05:57 AM
I have seen a mod for phpBB that will take users information and add it to a MAP.

However, if you want it on a yarn ball? Which I don't understand, we'd have to develop that.. and I could always develop something like that.. but if you just want a map.. I know for a fact there is a mod out there..

Yes, Dave, because I happen to live in Midwestern Third-Ply! :rollseyes:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I was thinking that the DOTS could look like yarn balls....just a thought.

Thanks for checkin this out.... :happydance:

Julie
05-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Bravenet has a guestmap (http://www.bravenet.com/webtools/guestmap/index.php) that I have seen on a lot of blogs....You just click where you live and you can leave comments, too...you have to register there but it is free.

DotMom61
05-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Well, given our current situation with my son (see my blog), I am incapable of making commitments to anything, BUT (a big BUT -- pun intended) if I could make it at the last minute, I would. It sounds like a lot of fun and like I ought to take on a part-time job in the meantime to finance it! :lol:

Also, we have a wedding on Saturday of that weekend. So, that, too could throw a wrench in the works for me. Regardless, I know that everyone who goes will have a blast, and I hope I'm one of them!!!

As for the regional gatherings: Amy, perhaps a new topic in the Forum Index for "Regional Knitting Groups" and then break it up in logical groupings -- by state? By metro regions? Perhaps by state & then w/in that by metro regions or something?

I have a homeschool listserv that I belong to where we did a survey of sorts, and everyone emailed me w/ their email address & general location. I then compiled them by state, and then whoever wanted to get in contact with those in their state could email me to get the list. We ended up forming a local group here in Chicago as a result. It worked out nicely, but since we don't use email addresses on this forum, we could probably do something like that directly in the forum, and then those who are from the same locale could get together through PMs or something.

DotMom61
05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
:waving: Ooo ...ooo ... ooo!!! I just had a great idea for the August gathering: Everyone has to show up with a t-shirt that has their avator on it! :cheering:

wildforyarn
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow Julie! I sure hope that your son is doing okay with the chemo. What a long, hard road he has ahead of him with even almost 1/2 of the treatments done. I bet he is a courageous boy. What kind of cancer is it? Is there anything any of us here can do for you?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Wow, DM, that's a lot to go through! We're thinking of you.

If you can't make it to a get-together in August, you can always call me next time you're at the Dixon Pizza Hut (right next to the obnoxious new walmart *arrghhhh*)

and i LOVE the t-shirt idea!

DotMom61
06-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow Julie! I sure hope that your son is doing okay with the chemo. What a long, hard road he has ahead of him with even almost 1/2 of the treatments done. I bet he is a courageous boy. What kind of cancer is it? Is there anything any of us here can do for you?

Sara --

Thanks for your note. He has (had, actually) something called rhabdomyosarcoma. It's a cancer that forms in muscle tissue. Unfortunately, this tumor wrapped itself around the structures of his knee, and the only way we could rid ourselves of it was for him to have his leg amputated in early April. Now ... that said ... please don't feel sorry for him, because he certainly doesn't feel sorry for himself. He is a courageous boy, and his sense of humor has carried us all through this. He just insists on going forward and not looking back. We're excited to find the right prosthetist & get his "new" leg. I think he'll probably feel a little like a prisoner breaking free once he tosses his crutches aside!

And thank you so much for offering your help -- simple prayers are the best right now. We have a wonderful support system here in our neighborhood and with the family members that are geographically close enough to help. (I don't know where I would be without my mother-in-law!)

OK ... So ... I don't want to hi-jack Kelly & Hilde's Big Adventure with all of this. So, if you have questions or whatever, please feel free to PM me!! We're more than happy to talk to anyone about what we've gone through, and one of these days I'll get around to sharing some of that on my blog site.

And, now that the Cubs game is finally over, I can go to bed! (Go Cubs!:balloons: Cubs 2 Dodgers 1)

DotMom61
06-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow, DM, that's a lot to go through! We're thinking of you.

If you can't make it to a get-together in August, you can always call me next time you're at the Dixon Pizza Hut (right next to the obnoxious new walmart *arrghhhh*)

and i LOVE the t-shirt idea!

Oh, Hilde!! That's right! You are the one in Dixon! That Wal-Mart must've gone up quickly -- it wasn't there the last time I ate at the P.H. That seems like it was just a few short months ago, but perhaps it was longer than me thinks!

I'll definitely keep you in mind next time we're heading that way. I'd love to snarf down some pizza in your company. (Now there's an emoticon we could use!)

Glad you liked the t-shirt idea! I'd love to have one with my bag-headed dog on it. Or, perhaps I could wear the bag! :roflhard:

KellyK
06-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Or, how about a button? Id feel awfully strange walkin around with a big old ME on me! :shifty:

DotMom61
06-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Or, how about a button? Id feel awfully strange walkin around with a big old ME on me! :shifty:

How 'bout either/or?

But I think you'd look maaaahhhvelous with that picture on your t-shirt -- especially if you wear the same sunglasses! 8-)

MaggieL
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Dot,

Your family will be in our prayers. :thumbsup:

KellyK
06-01-2005, 10:28 PM
:roflhard:

DotMom61
06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Dot,

Your family will be in our prayers. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Maggie!! Prayers are always welcome! :sunny:

amy
06-01-2005, 11:08 PM
DotMom, your son sounds like an incredible kid. I hope all goes well with the therapy. xoxo

I LOVE the idea of some kind of KH identifyer, and the avatar. Howabout a stick-on or pin-on nametag with the KH logo in the corner, and your forum name and avatar on it! Or at least forum name. Those would be easy to print out, and less involved than a t-shirt.

Hmmm, I like the idea of a KH gathering forum or system. Does anyone know of a more efficient system we could use than a forum? Posts on a forum could get hard to find if we have one for every state, etc. Is there a better way to easily see which KH groups are happening? Like some way that can be browsed by state, country or region?.... Norman, maybe you know of a PHPbb extension?.....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh yes! That's a great idea! Does KH have a slogan? Did we talk about that already? What is it? I love the idea of pins... even if it's just a simple stick pin with the logo and KH on it.

feministmama
06-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Well Kelly I don't think I could recognize you without them big ole glasses you on. :inlove:

DotMom61
06-02-2005, 01:05 AM
DotMom, your son sounds like an incredible kid. I hope all goes well with the therapy. xoxo

Thank you, Amy. :-)

KellyK
06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Well Kelly I don't think I could recognize you without them big ole glasses you on. :inlove:

Here ya go....Ill just have to wear my tiara. That'll help!

Sara
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
DH has a source for lapel pins, they're pretty cheap. You could have them made with that KH "sunshine" logo, no problem. He is currently snoring, plaster is about to fall on my head from the reverb, but I will get it from him later. After I smother him with a pillow.... ;)

Holly
06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Those pics were awesome, and I've been LOL in my office this morning reading about your adventure :roflhard: (while pretending to be working :shock: !!)

I would love to be part of a get-together! (I'm in Hebron, Illinois -- right on the IL/WI line). I'll have to check w/ DH, but I think that August weekend is free! Incidentally, Hilde, my hubby has a meeting in Dixon on Friday! It would be cool to see some sort of a map with indicators for where everyone is located :D.

{{{Julie}}} You have my prayers for your son. What a brave young man -- you must be so proud of how he is handling this.

Holly

DotMom61
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Here ya go....Ill just have to wear my tiara. That'll help!

Oh, Kelly, you look *lovely* in that picture. I think you should let your hair go back to it's natural color!

DotMom61
06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Those pics were awesome, and I've been LOL in my office this morning reading about your adventure :roflhard: (while pretending to be working :shock: !!)

I would love to be part of a get-together! (I'm in Hebron, Illinois -- right on the IL/WI line). I'll have to check w/ DH, but I think that August weekend is free! Incidentally, Hilde, my hubby has a meeting in Dixon on Friday! It would be cool to see some sort of a map with indicators for where everyone is located :D.

{{{Julie}}} You have my prayers for your son. What a brave young man -- you must be so proud of how he is handling this.

Holly

Holly --

Yet another IL Knitter!! Thank you for the hugs and prayers.

And this is weird, if I have my towns right: My husband and I had considered looking at a new development in Hebron, I think. Is there a subdivision going in somewhere around there that primarily has log homes in it?

Do you ever bop up to Wisconsin to hit the antique shops???

KellyK
06-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Oh, Kelly, you look *lovely* in that picture.
Dont you mean "LOVERLY"???

DotMom61
06-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Oh, Kelly, you look *lovely* in that picture.
Dont you mean "LOVERLY"???

Oh, how embarrassing :oops: ... you caught my typo.

Holly
06-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Julie -- there are a couple of developments going in now, but I haven't heard that they are primarily log homes. The growth that has been exploding around McHenry County is just starting to get to us -- I don't think we will continue to have a population of 1000 for much longer. I think our little town is most known for our water tower painted like a basketball for the 1952 State Champs! :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Since we're talking about Illinois people, I just want to put out there that i might be int he market for a new job. I am not opposed to driving... I already drive an hour. If you hear of a music teacher job in your local non-cook county school district, plz plz plz let me know. :-)

amy
06-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Oh, I love the button idea! Maybe I can leave room on the button for folks to write their forum name right on the button below the logo.

Hildie, would you be into working at an elementary school? I have no idea if they're hiring, but my grandmother founded a school in Tinley Park and it's still run by the family. I could ask my uncle about it if you want. I don't know how far that is from you.

Yes, that's right, even though I don't live there, my father is from a Chicago suburb, so the Illinois theme continues! It's really quite remarkable how many KH folks are from there!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm certified K-12 band, orchestra and vocal music, but I *really* want middle school general music. That's what I do now in a fabulous facility, however if the price is right I might consider changing...
But Tinley Park is over 2 hours away! :-( that might be a little far... I could make it work though: I'd just move in with KK :-)

KellyK
06-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Im gonna let YOU take that one up with my DH..... :thumbsup: :rollseyes: