PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo!!! I CAN perform surgery!!!!

bubba
05-21-2005, 11:50 PM
As I worked on my second cuff today (on the dreaded double pointed needles) I didn't notice till about three rows later that I had knitted where I should have pearled!!! :shock: After calming myself down, and talking to myself for a bit, I decided I could perform some sort of simple surgery to fix this without having to unknit it back to the mistake......

So I took out three rows of just that stitch....no luck fixing it. Then came the fourth....still having problems. Then I took out the fifth....I hemmed and I hawed and said choice words under my breath and then decided I should just get out what I call my knitting bible. Low and behold....I did it!!!!! I actually fixed it!!!! I was thrilled beyond belief! Had I been sitting w/my back not to the supervisor today, I could have looked on this site and probably saved myself all sorts of grief, but she is a good sneaker upper and I was not in the mood to be lectured.

I was so happy when my relief came in because she is the one who taught me to knit.....I felt just like a little kid giving her mom a pretty picture!

pat, the so-so surgeon.

rebecca
05-22-2005, 12:02 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: glad for the surgical success...may u have many more

KellyK
05-22-2005, 12:56 AM
GOOD JOB! Once I fixed my first mistakes, something clicked in my head & gave me ALL KINDS of confidence to try "tougher" projects...unknitting & frogging gives you a better understanding of knitting "anatomy", I think...

kemp
05-23-2005, 04:55 AM
GOOD JOB! Once I fixed my first mistakes, something clicked in my head & gave me ALL KINDS of confidence to try "tougher" projects...unknitting & frogging gives you a better understanding of knitting "anatomy", I think...

Totally agree with that! The more I screw up, the better I get :)

roofth
05-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Yay for you!! =) :thumbsup:
I felt the exact same way when I did my last project (it was my first time doing lace)... it was so frustrating and I made alot of mistakes - but it sure gave me plenty of opportunities and practice in tinking and frogging... and it does help me to better understand my knitting as I go along... :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I just leave my mistakes, and call it my "signature".

Just kidding! I think that if/when people have the opportunity to take a fixing booboos class, they should: it totally helped me! Congrats on not needing the hand-holding that I do!

Jivewhistle
05-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I do not know how to fix one mistake :( I need to watch the videos again and practice!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Jive, that just means you don't MAKE mistakes!

SimplyKaar
05-25-2005, 05:33 AM
I just leave my mistakes, and call it my "signature".

LOL hildie! My granny used to say that too; she told me that a small glitch, mistake, uneven stitch or whatever is just proof of the fact that it's been homemade rather than factory made.
However, she was very big on having nice even stitches and such so I doubt she left many true mistakes in her own work :rofling:

She was a great lady: loved to knit sweaters for the entire extended family but insisted we'd pick patterns with cables etc because she wanted something "fun" to do while knitting them up :thumbsup:
Just like many of you, she used to sit with my granddad when he watched sports on tv but hated to actually watch tv so she knitted instead.

During my "there is no such thing as too big phase" in highschool she knitted up 3 different sweaters for me that were more like a mini-dress than a sweater and I still have 2 of those old (ancient I must say) cabled sweaters that she knit for me back then.
In one of them she put a braided cable and at one of the ends she forgot to cross one side... I never saw it as a problem, it's just her 'signature' in my sweater and it's a fond reminder; even more so since shepassed away 5 years ago.

/(Dutch) Karen.

wildforyarn
05-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Pat, so what is your so-called knitting bible? I love anything that can help or teach me new things. I for one really have a hard time if I don't fix my mistakes, because I can forever see them in my finished projects. . . not that I have very many, but still. ;)

roofth
05-27-2005, 07:01 PM
i learned to tink back my stitches by knitting normally, but doing it really slowly, and while i'm doing it, i'm watching carefully where all the loops go, so if i were to undo it, i know where to pick up what and wrap it back around where, etc.

i can't really learn from reading books and seeing "still" pictures... i'm sure videos would have been MUCH nicer to learn from... :doh:

amy
05-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Congrats Pat! :cheering:

I know Hildie was joking about the "signature" mistakes, but I, too, think that's a neat idea.

There is a region in Africa that is well known for its very intricate and beautiful weaving. And it's a tradition for the weaver to insert an intentional break in the pattern, so that it's not perfect. They say it's so their soul can escape, or be free. Makes total sense to me!

I high school student I know who knits, impressed me very much when she showed me a gorgeous pair of mittens she'd made: One of the thumbs was accidently reversed, so the reverse side of the stockinette was showing. She just left it. I thought they made her mittens all the cooler! I admire this. :D

bubba
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Sara G.-
Sorry for the delay in my response to your question about what I call my knitting bible. I have been working six day weeks and I am about ready to drop. I did have yesterday off, but we had to drive down to Portland, Oregon. I thought I would try knitting in the car while my husband drove and found it makes me feel quite ill, much to my dismay. I hope I won't have the same results when I fly to Hawaii in December, because I planned on knitting then, since it's a five hour flight!

Anyway, the book is called Basic Knitting - All the skills and tools you need to get started.

It is full of pictures to show you about everything you would ever need to know...nice color pictures. It is then broken down into about ten different projects, each using a new skill to include even cables and felting! It has helped me out several times when I have not been near the internet to look at the videos here.

I bought it online, but I have also seen it in bookstores locally.

Good luck!
pat.

wildforyarn
06-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much Pat. I will have to keep my eyes out for it.