PDA

View Full Version : Was everbody sore when they started????

newtoknit
05-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Ok, so I went and bought my yarn today and started on my first sweater...I don't know if I'm stressed or holding my needles in a weird way or what, but my arms and hands are soooo sore and I've only done about 12 rows! Is it just a matter of building up my knitting endurance?? Or are knitters carpal-tunnel syndrome prone?? Ouch!

knitqueen
05-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I know that my hands and fingers get sore sometimes if I knit a lot at once, but I don't recall having problems right at the beginning. Something that I've found really helps A LOT is knitting on circular needles rather than straight needles. Even if it's not a circular project, I use a circular and knit back and forth (as opposed to working in the round) and it's way less weight that your wrist has to support because the work kind of rests more on your lap rather than all of it hanging off of a long needle that your poor wrist has to hold. Make sense???

So did you buy the Denimstyle? What pattern are you working on??

By the way, I'm in BC too!

:XX:

newtoknit
05-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Hello fellow BC-er! :D Yes, I did get the Denimstyle. And I discovered that Walmart actually sells is for quite a bit less than Lewiscraft..which was the only other store I could find that particular kind...so I was very happy! I'm making a kangaroo-style pullover for my son. The pattern was right off the Bernat website, and is actually on one of the balls of the Denimstyle that I bought.

I've heard about circular needles, but they seem a little intimidating to me..not sure why. But maybe I should give them a try if it means being able to knit more comfortably. :thinking: Thanks for the tip!

knitqueen
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I knit the same kangaroo sweater for my son!!! :D I used the "Rodeo Tan" colour of the Denimstyle. I have washed it many times and it has held up really really well. Still as soft as ever and has maintained its shape.

Another good place to buy yarn is Zellers. At least here where I live, Zellers has a huuuuuuge selection and really good prices too. Similar prices as Wal-Mart but a better selection, I think. They don't have anyone there that you can ask questions of, at least not anyone that knows what they're talking about, but if you know what you're looking for it's one of my best bets usually.

Don't be nervous about circulars. I was too at first, but if you can just imagine that the needles are not attached to each other, it's no different than using straight needles and was less straight on your body.

Good luck!!

brendajos
05-24-2005, 01:55 AM
well let me start this by saying i have never knitted on the long straight needles. for the most part everything i have done has been on circs. it ws how i was taught and she said part of it was to reduce strain. you don't have the up and down motion so much with your arms and shoulders. the needles will generally fit right into your hand nicely. and like was said, the weight of the project mostly ends up in your lap (there is the nice bonus of not being able to drop a needle either ;) )

if you don't want to use circs though, and there have been times when i felt like straight needles would just work better, there are needles with flex shafts. i love my clover bamboos with the flex. basically it is just the circular cord at the end with a stopper. so you can use them just like you use your straight needles but you don't have that up and down motion of your arms and shoulders again.

and make sure you aren't working too tight when you are knitting...it is suppose to be relaxing and if you are holding on too tight you are going to be sore!

Norman
05-24-2005, 07:29 AM
My first project, as I was still a little too tight, my arms and hands actually numbed up and I had to stop knitting for a few hours..

Now, not only do I stop every so often and stretch (just like typing) but I haven't had that problem since.. I think it's mostly just getting used to the needls and findign a comfortable positions that won't stress ya out

I do think knitters are more prone to CT, some say you aren't.. but any type of repetative motion, especially if you throw, causes greater risk.. :S

Aby
05-24-2005, 08:16 AM
I had CT surgery on both hands, years ago... but I still had pain when I began knitting.. basically just sore muscles, which went away as my tension evened out. When I began, I had the grip of death on those needles, for fear of them sliding out and experiencing the dreaded slipped stitch.

Now that I am more confident in my ability to fix mistakes, I've eased up and relaxed. :thumbsup:

Norman
05-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I had the grip of death on those needles, for fear of them sliding out and experiencing the dreaded slipped stitch.

I think that's what I was doing too.. but my tensions is MUCH MUCH looser now and my stiches look even..

Granted eveyr once in a while there are some tight stiches.. but you couldn't tell by looking at it..

This current pattern, I think I finally got my gague right.. it was like 4.5 stiches per inch.. and I'm 5 st / inch.. which I thought was damned good for my first time working with gauge.. :) And I'm not so worried if it doesn't work out.. it's my first circular needle project.. :)

but yes.. I agree with aby.. it's mainly because you are realllly holding the needles tight, you may not think you do.. but you are.. I had the same thing.. I denied to my last breath that I was holding them tight.. but as I loosened up.. I started to tell myself.. "Man I was holding those tight"

:)

Rennagayle
05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
I could pretty much ditto Aby's post. I had carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago, but my hands and forearms really hurt when I first began knitting. I quickly realized that I was too tense, and terrified of dropping a stitch. I've loosened up considerably now, but I do still get a little sore if I knit too long at one time. I try and be conscious of stopping every so often and stretching my arms and hands around.

VictoiseC
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Elizabeth Zimmerman addresses this issue wonderfully in her Knitting Without Tears book. She says she pities the 'too tight knitter" who has to put her work down every few rows and then picks it up and knits really tight again. So, yes, you just have to loosen up a little bit and try and relax while you do it. It'll come. I like to use both types of needles, I like straights sometimes. But then I haven't knitted a sweater in years and never on circulars. Looking forward to doing that.

newtoknit
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies everyone! I'm pretty certain that I'm holding my needles too tight as well as knitting the stitches fairly tight. I'm jut about to sit down and work on the sweater again, so I'll try to loosen it up a bit and see if that helps. I'm pretty certain that I started out the same way when I learned to crochet years ago...too tight and rigid.

I think too, that if I practice on swatches how to fix certain mistakes that will greatly relax me. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm overly concerned with not making mistakes!

Thanks again for all of your advice!

brookenic
05-24-2005, 04:49 PM
My hands were so sore when I started my pinkies would go numb and I'd have to stop. I was holding the needles like they were gonna fall. Now I barely grip them and they don't go anywhere. I do still get bad blisters on the tips of my fingers from pushing the needle backwards.(to make the stitch) It's a bad habit I have.

Aby
05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
OUCH... so do I... only mine are more of a hard sore spot.. darn needle tips :crying:

KellyK
05-24-2005, 05:34 PM
When I started knitting, I got muscle cramps in the "balls" of my hands...

I avoid the needle point issue by pushing the tip against the shaft of the opposite needle.

Joel
05-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok, so I went and bought my yarn today and started on my first sweater...I don't know if I'm stressed or holding my needles in a weird way or what, but my arms and hands are soooo sore and I've only done about 12 rows! Is it just a matter of building up my knitting endurance?? Or are knitters carpal-tunnel syndrome prone?? Ouch!

For me personally, I've not had any problems with soreness. But my neighbor mentioned that she could feel "a workout soreness" in her biceps when she knits. My wife has said the same thing the couple of times she's tried knitting. Maybe I'm just an unusual case. (Yeah, I'm setting myself up for a whole string of comments from this post. LOL)

KellyK
05-24-2005, 06:58 PM
*KellyK in a falsetto, girly-girl voice*

:eyebrow: OH, JOEL! You are SOOO MANLY! Your KNITTING MUSCLES make me wanna DROP MY HANKY!! :eyebrow:

newtoknit
05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
So I thought I would see what would happen if I switched from Continental style to English style, and what do you know, the pain is gone. Last night I was working on my sweater and I couldn't handle it any more, so I dug out my Knitting for Dummies and taught myself a new style of knitting. Unfortunately I now feel like it's going to take me the entire year to knit the sweater because I'm so slow still...but at least I'm not in any pain! :D Hopefully the speed will pick up sooner rather than later! :thumbsup:

Joel
05-31-2005, 10:16 AM
*KellyK in a falsetto, girly-girl voice*

:eyebrow: OH, JOEL! You are SOOO MANLY! Your KNITTING MUSCLES make me wanna DROP MY HANKY!! :eyebrow:

*Joel flexes.... hey is the muscle supposed to droop like that???*

:roflhard:

Update: Since posting last, I've switched back to learning the Continental knit. (I want to learn the fastest knitting style.) And my first time trying it again, I actually experienced a slight soreness in my arms... at the time I was holding the needles pretty tight. Once I loosened up, the soreness went away.

Rennagayle
05-31-2005, 11:08 AM
I am involved in a "tea swap" on another board, and wanted to send some knitted felted coasters to my tea recipients, whose names I drew. When I realized I didn't have the right size dpn's for the only knitting pattern I could find online, and didn't want to have to make a run to Home Depot, with the hope that they might have the size dowel I'd need to make them (our HD doesn't have a large selection of dowels :mad: ), then if they did, come home and make 5 of them, ALL before starting on the coasters :wall: , I just decided to crochet them before felting them!

Crocheting a circle is a super simple, and quick, thing to do. However, I quickly realized why I prefer knitting. My left hand began to ache terribly about halfway through the first coaster, which is rather odd, considering my right hand with the hook seems to be doing all the work. :?

I did finish the coasters, and they felted beautifully, and I'll be sending them off to my tea swap friends today, but I now know that knitting is MUCH easier on my hands than crocheting! :X: